Author Topic: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...  (Read 11043 times)

Offline ander

• To keeb or not to keeb? That is the keebtion.
Re: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 05:35:23 »
I know HHKBs are tiny and cute and all, but I don't see how it could possibly be more ergonomic to have to hold down extra keys to do a bunch of things you can do with single keys on regular boards. Maybe I'm missing something.
If you’re an artist, you’re already a success. You’re one of the few people who gets up each day and follows their bliss. You’re that rare type of individual who doesn’t live a fake life. You already have something that only a very small percentage of the population enjoys: living meaningfully and authentically. – Guy Farmer

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 06:02:00 »
I have been typing on my 87UB 55g uniform for about a year now. For me, this is the best board I have ever typed on: sturdy, quiet, perfect travel, the crispiness I crave for.

I occasionally switch back to my KUL with clears, and my HHKB white at the office. But every time when I get back on my 87UB 55g I am like "ahhwwwww dyeess".
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline typo

« Reply #252 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 07:23:24 »
I use a 104UB and now the RGB. As a programmer I find the HHKB very tedious. I want as high as I can WPM and pressing two keys slows me down.

I am upset that Mechanical keyboards is selling the RGB for $199. Topre specifically does not allow that. Up fine, but not below a certain base. In the case of the RGB it is $229USD but is most commonly $269. No one feel bad they are not an authorized dealer and it is worth $269 all day long. Topre actually considers it their new flagship board. Future Topre products will follow these workings. There is a board in Japan that is like the RGB on steroids.  Elite keyboards is very pricy due to now selling all their stock on Amazon for much less. I do not endorse buying any product from a non authorized dealer.

Interestingly you will find the RGB sold out almost everywhere. Someone must like it. Mechanical keyboards has stock at $199 because most enthusiasts probably feel the way I do. They can keep them IMO.

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #253 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 08:43:58 »
I’d never feel bad about competition giving me a lower price.

Offline typo

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 04:09:29 »
The problem is they are not authorized to do so. Like Grey market stuff.

I find Topre 45g on the RGB to be as stiff as MX clears which is good. I doubt most agree. I also have trouble with missed actuation. The RGB solved this. The RGB is honestly very nice. It is certainly a real Topre.

Offline zslane

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:44:31 »
I agree. I just wish the RGB had a better case, and I'd gladly trade the stoopid backlighting for one.

Offline typo

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:36:35 »
The case is actually in some respects better than the 104UB IMO. Neither seem great but they are battle tested :)

As for Cherry solder joints, throw in backlighting and there are often problems. Led's going out etc. That is why they finally introduced the MX RGB. However, now the switch is even more complicated. More parts, more to fail. The Topre RGB is all SMD Led's. So I hope it holds up better than MX based boards with 3mm Led's. I guess time will tell. I will say it is more difficult to disassemble a Topre than most MX boards. All they are is a bunch of soldering. That indeed is why Topre is more reliable. The case is not exactly what you would expect for $269 but it is actually fine. I really like the RGB. It is my daily driver right now. Of course I do not have to tell anyone the GMK caps are great for ABS. I replaced mine only with a colored set of GMK's. ABS can actually be decent. Once the thing is on the desk it is very solid. There is no reason to push the case around and be disappointed. You put it on the desk and it feels very study. They now consider it their flagship board. Future boards will use some of it's features I am told. If I was buying I would go for the RGB regardless now. Not the 104U. Unless you do not want a full board. The backlight bleeds like mad on low even but it is refreshing not to be as bright as those Deck's I love. This is a good, solid board. I highly recommend it and right now over other Topre's for a full size. I am very pleased with it and I am very hard to impress. You just have to accept any of Topre's cases move around but you do not have to push it. Just sit it down and start typing. I wish I had the Japan market one. As usual they saved the fanciest for the home market. I still would not buy it on the Grey market either if I could. My feeling is it is not polite to support those people. Everyone is entitled to do as they please of course.

Offline dante

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:15:15 »
I’d never feel bad about competition giving me a lower price.

The problem is they are not authorized to do so. Like Grey market stuff.

How do you know they are not authorized to do so?  Are you an employee of either Topre or MK?

If MK was indeed pulling shenanigans I doubt Topre would have given them access to their entire portfolio of products.

Offline typo

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 23:43:06 »
I asked Seasonic okay. There are many other ways to get stock than through the traditional routes. Topre, per Seasonic does not want it sold for less than $229 on sale but currently the regular price is $269. I do take issue with places that are not legit. You will notice your warranty is through them and not Topre. That alone is a telltale giveaway.

You know like PC stuff you can buy it way under legit prices but you might be very sorry you did. I am not a goody two shoes by any means. I just do not think that is very polite. to undermine something someone worked hard to design. Obviously I feel this way as a programmer. Like WAREZ to me straight up sucks. If for nothing else taking dinner off my table! This is loosely likened to that.

There is no reason Seasonic would lie to me or anyone.

I had also Emailed the CEO of Topre and they responded. Japanese tend to be humble and not inflated like some Americans. So they told me it is over 95% made at there factory in japan. When I had said it was Chinese I was going off of incorrect information and I apologize for that.

Some abuse the law with the slapping label, 1 screw etc. Many speculate New Balance made in USA models are they put the laces in. BS! They pretty much build the whole darn shoe. Maybe the glue is from China.

Think about this, Elite keyboards whom are legit cannot even get stock right now! They sold their remaining stock on Amazon just to gain some capital but who knows when they could restock. Also notice their price! If they could sell if for less they most certainly would since they are in competition with MK. Basically same as new in box Ebay ads.

Anyways I think right now I would sort of suggest this over the 104UB. Since future topre boards will use much of this anyways. The case is so-so just in a different way than the 104UB. It is not a big deal. Flat on the desk it feels very solid.  I guess Topre feels GMK is nicer than Dyesub PBT too. This board in Japan I wish I could get. It is like a RGB on steroids. I like the RGB at least as much as the 104UB. I oringed and lubed mine. Even out of the box it certainly had thonk. I do not know if those videos have a cheap mic or what. It is absolutely fine IMO.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 06:05:51 »

It comes with actual GMK's. They are not Ducky as some think. I put a Massdrop GMK set on mine. Same quality though which is good. White Led is not bad but it is more blue of course.

What comes with GMK??

Certainly not the topre rgb board.

I've never seen a backlit shine through compatible GMK set.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline dante

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 07:47:20 »
(goshdangimsaltytoday)
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 October 2017, 07:49:11 by dante »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 09:01:11 »

I had also Emailed the CEO of Topre and they responded. Japanese tend to be humble and not inflated like some Americans. So they told me it is over 95% made at there factory in japan. When I had said it was Chinese I was going off of incorrect information and I apologize for that.

typo..  you may be ignoring the fact that the Topre-Ceo (or any topre representative) can not answer in any other way.

There is only one strain of acceptable answers.

It's like asking someone if it is ok to beat their wife, or was it worth it beating their wife after he's already gone n' done it..  Of course the answer is always NO or something along the lines of NO..

Ask any guy, how many females has he got digits to, he'd say 300

Guy Asks his girl-friend, how many guys before him , typical answer = 2-3, reality probably 5+

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 10:48:27 »

typo..  you may be ignoring the fact that the Topre-Ceo (or any topre representative) can not answer in any other way.

It's like asking someone if it is ok to beat their wife, or was it worth it beating their wife after he's already gone n' done it..  Of course the answer is always NO or something along the lines of NO..

Guy Asks his girl-friend, how many guys before him , typical answer = 2-3, reality probably 5+

Dude, I'm not going to take relationship advice from someone who posts with larger than standard font size on a keyboard forum...

Offline Riverman

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 10:52:55 »
Typo, have you looked at Topre's distributor page here?

http://www.topre.co.jp/en/products/elec/keyboards/shoplist.html

Tiger Imports, which is Mechanical Keyboard's actual business name, is listed there as a US distributor.  If they were selling grey market items and screwing over Seasonic and Elite Keyboards, then why would Topre list them as an official US distributor?

Offline zslane

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 12:16:13 »
I just do not think that is very polite. to undermine something someone worked hard to design.

A very noble position to take.

However, nobody need worry that a distributor (like MK) is undermining Topre when they sell under an MSRP. Topre sold the product stock to the distributor at a healthy profit, and what the distributor does with it after that has no effect on Topre's bottom line. It could conceivably have an impact on Topre's relationship with other distributors, but that's up to Topre to police, not us the consumer base.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 16:12:17 »

Dude, I'm not going to take relationship advice from someone who posts with larger than standard font size on a keyboard forum...

LouisHjelmslev = Wife Beater

/Confirmed

Offline typo

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 17:22:17 »
TP, I am really glad you think beating your wife is not okay. Which it is not in fact. I am glad you do take very serious issues seriously.

zslane, to be honest I am just miffed I paid $269. So there you go. They are honestly not authorized but you are right save the money who cares.

spamray, see topre told me they are GNK too. With the point TP just made I guess I can gather how honest they are about the origin of their products. It is in fact correct that my GMK set on here he light only shines under them. Which I like better anyways. I sure hope their SMD does not have the solder issues of 3mm Led's. Since they are not even in the US. I will be furious I paid full price if Led's cut out. After warranty my Grandson is the service Guy. If you think about it there realy is no warranty either. Going to send it to Japan? Unless they have US service I do not know of. Their switches hardly ever quit but throw Led's in the mix......time will tell.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #267 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 17:33:30 »
zslane, to be honest I am just miffed I paid $269. So there you go. They are honestly not authorized but you are right save the money who cares.
How can you say they're not authorized when they're listed in the distributor list on Topre's website???

Offline typo

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 04:35:57 »
Maybe not authorized to sell it that low. I don't know. Seasonic just replied "They are not an authorized dealer". Who knows. It is odd that everyone has the same price but they are much lower. I am not sure but I think Topre is price locked. Like Apple for instance. Anyways I said already why I was bummed about it. If they are really not allowed to that is a different story. I do not know what is with the RGB but Topre and Seasonic do not seem to know much about it. Which leads me back to my original hunch it is made in China. I have no proof other than TP will agree it probably is. I am not spreading rumors though. I do not know what is true regarding it at this point. I would not say it is built cheaper than the 104UB just a different set of issues. Like the case shifts too but not in the same place. Honestly I think we are all suckers.

Now if you don't ming folks, how about a mini poll?
I thought I would put a Deck/TG3 Skull and Crossbones key on the Escape of the Topre. I was not sure because it is a different construction than my GMK set on this. Plus it will be the only translucent key then. I did not if that would look cool or bunk? I do not partake in 3D keys since They suck to actually press. I have some but would not use them. I have a GMK Smiley face if that is better.

Offline dante

« Reply #269 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 07:58:14 »
I don't know.

This is the most sense you've made on this topic.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #270 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 08:07:00 »
Maybe it is time to close this thread...and start a new one if you want to talk about the RGB Realforce and that you paid too much and which vendor is a legit reseller..

But to me it is obvious..

They're on their website, they are...who knows why their price is different..who cares...