Author Topic: Building a 60% mechanical keyboard, need help  (Read 2282 times)

Offline kayang

Building a 60% mechanical keyboard, need help
« on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 20:41:26 »
Hello, I decided that I wanna give it a go and build my first mechanical keyboard. Since this is the first one I ever build im having trouble finding where to buy parts. I decided to go for Cherry MX reds that I found at http://www.wasdkeyboards.com for around $55 that are plate mounted. I'm looking for matte black keycaps, an ok PCB, stabilizisers along with the rest of the stuff, I'll do the soldering myself. Please help me find this, thanks in advance

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: Building a 60% mechanical keyboard, need help
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:25:31 »
Where in the world are you? That'll help people suggest places to buy. Hit up youtube for guides on where to buy. The GH60, GH60 Satan are easily available PCBs. AliExpress and Taobao are pretty good one stop shops.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:28:40 by stoic-lemon »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:28:13 »
Spending some time doing research and learning before jumping in has a huge payoff.

No way would I ever buy switches at that price. :o

I don't mind helping people but it's always wise to at least try and help yourself first.

ripster has done a great job of compiling info here https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/switch_suppliers

I historically have bought my stuff from www.mechanicalkeyboards.com but in recent times there are a half dozen smaller keyboard webshops that have opened up, check out 1upkeyboards, pete has done great things. There are also some good chinese sellers on ebay, some are members here.

There are also group buys which will save money but can take months to get your stuff.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:55:23 by SpAmRaY »

Offline kayang

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 23:08:44 »
Spending some time doing research and learning before jumping in has a huge payoff.

No way would I ever buy switches at that price. :o

I don't mind helping people but it's always wise to at least try and help yourself first.

ripster has done a great job of compiling info here https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/switch_suppliers

I historically have bought my stuff from www.mechanicalkeyboards.com but in recent times there are a half dozen smaller keyboard webshops that have opened up, check out 1upkeyboards, pete has done great things. There are also some good chinese sellers on ebay, some are members here.

There are also group buys which will save money but can take months to get your stuff.
Hey, thanks for the info. Honestly those were the cheapest switches I found.. All the other sites it was 1 switch for $1 so this was the cheapest i found. I looked around alot and I was referred to this forum to "help myself". Thanks again man, appreciate it

Offline kayang

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 23:11:18 »
Where in the world are you? That'll help people suggest places to buy. Hit up youtube for guides on where to buy. The GH60, GH60 Satan are easily available PCBs. AliExpress and Taobao are pretty good one stop shops.
Hey, I'm currently in Sweden. Of course I'd pay shipping. I can't seem to find anything on youtube, I saw a youtuber named Mekanisk who did alot of things but his website was private for some reason. Also thanks for the information, I appreciate it

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 23:27:26 »
Not sure what is going on with the site, but he is a countryman of yours, so shipping shouldn't be a problem. I think he has a section in the vendor forums now. ZealPC,kbdfans,originative,switchtop, are popular places to buy, as well as group buys here.

Offline raxander

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 21:00:47 »
I've bought stuff from 1upkeyboards, mechanicalkeyboards.com, zealpc.net, KBDFans, Sentraq, Originative, WASDkeyboards.com, and Geekkeys.  Good experience with all of them so far.  There are vendor feedback threads on geekhack that you may find helpful.  I'm in the US though so ymmv.  I've also had good experience on reddit.com/r/mechmarket but caveat emptor! 

Between those sites, they will almost certainly have everything you're looking for unless you need something really exotic. 

The price I'm seeing quoted on wasdkeyboards for plate-mounted reds is $25 for 50 switches though.  Are you building full-size layout? They're quoting me $41.60 for 104 switches. Maybe the pricing for Sweden is different or something? 

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 03:19:51 »
I saw a youtuber named Mekanisk
Mekanisk is the shop run by our fellow geekhacker LeandreN. His website is under maintenance but you can get a hold with him through a private message and I'd advice to do so for he's a very friendly and helpful gentleman.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Jokuhemmo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 05:12:51 »
You should definitely take a look at gateron red switches or kailh box red switches. They both feel smoother than cherry and they're alsp cheaper. You can get them from novelkeys or kbdfans for example.