Author Topic: My first mechanical keyboard - The cheapest on amazon!  (Read 9575 times)

Offline beko1987

My first mechanical keyboard - The cheapest on amazon!
« on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 07:53:06 »
So, as explained in my intro post in the other room, I want a mechanical keyboard! Never had one before, but fancy one.

But for a complete newbie, quite frankly its bewildering! Having never tried one before I don't have a good start either!

So, I did something quite silly and bought the cheapest actually mechanical board on amazon UK!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071RDDK9R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a 1p sim card as I don't have prime, and it was £5 shipping if under £20.

It came today!

Feel free to laugh at my janky setup! The num pad is from a laptop I bought from a car boot sale years ago, 2001 vintage, but I need one for work! The wrist rest is from my IBM KB9910 that I was using prior. Does the job for now though!

Having no prior experience of mechs, it's quite nice! Feels solid, the red LED's are cool, but distracting so their turned off for now. The key caps show grease though, I ate my crisps earlier and it shows

Switches are supposedly Gateron Blues, but the switches say TTC on them

In use? It's too loud! I bottom the keys out unless I try really hard, this post is taking 4x as long to write as it otherwise would! Hoping a bit of practise gets me lighter though, when they just actuate it's a lovely sound!

So here I am really! I've had a few comments from my immediate colleagues, good and bad, but thats why I chose a cheap one initially, so if it's no good at work, I havent lost too much! Now I'm wondering if I should have gone with browns, or if o-rings will quieten it down a bit?

Offline leech

• …always on the lookout for higher quality…
Re: My first mechanical keyboard - The cheapest on amazon!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 11:44:01 »
You got the cheapest modern mechanical keyboard on amazon, nice!

Looks like decent build quality, aluminum top, blue clicky switches, LED lighting, etc.
How do you like the black color scheme?

I don't like my keyboard to be black. A mkb beginner myself, i have a collection of 4 mkb's (3 modern, 1 IBM) and only 1 of them is black. But i exchanged the keycaps .. so it's mostly white now.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 11:45:37 »
TTC is not gateron. They make clone switches like gateron, but they specialize in cost cut switches, not enhancing the switch in any way.

http://www.ttc9.com/cp/index.php/product/pList/id/233.html

Many off brand switches use very thin and brittle plastic for the switch housing which can be very clacky, ESPECIALLY when combined with thin ABS caps. This is why your keyboard is so clacky. Better keycaps will help, as well as silencing mats for your switches. Blue switches have a built in click, but its no where near as loud as a gorilla fisted bottom out clack.

The great thing about mechanical keyboards is the modularity. It is easy to customize it to your liking.

Looks like decent build quality, aluminum top, blue clicky switches, LED lighting, etc.

I don't like my keyboard to be black. A mkb beginner myself, i have a collection of 4 mkb's (3 modern, 1 IBM) and only 1 of them is black. But i exchanged the keycaps .. so it's mostly white now.

Yeah, not a fan of black cases either. Boring. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 November 2017, 11:52:11 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 00:36:48 »
Congrats!  If you find that you don't like the sound (or that you need to change it due to the co-workers), the next logical step would be to try some mx browns.  And also remember that you are using a cheaper blue board, so better made ones do sound and feel different (as they all really do when you get down to it).  Keep trying different boards and you'll start to find your favorites.

Welcome to the land of no money!  :))

Offline beko1987

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 04:57:05 »
Thanks!

It needs silencing, it is proper clacky! Half tempted to try a better Browns board next. Not going to mess around swapping switches on this board, being cheap and chinese I imagine it won't be amazing!

Currently I have rolled tightly strips of blue roll under the keys which has helped silence it, although has made it feel more like my old dome board, which almost seems pointless, but I'll persevere!

However, already after jsut one day my typing speed has improved a bit without even trying! The 'click' of actuation is getting addictive!

I did try to press up to the actuation point but that slowed things down too much! I am thinking about o-rings, having read a bit about them, but rubber mats sound like a plan, where might I obtain some of those?

*goes off to look at brown switch boards...*

Offline beko1987

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 04:59:47 »

RE the colour, I don't mind that so much! My IBM kb9910 is faded, that didn't bother me either! I have the LED's set to light the switch that has been pressed now, which is working quite well. I had the ripple effect on for a while which was cool for hitting a single key, but for actual typing, it got trippy really fast!

Offline beko1987

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 06:32:34 »
So, reading about o-rings and landing pads, I thought 'Why not make some!). So, I've spent 20 minutes making little squares of quite thick card with a holepunch in the middle, and put them under all the keys! Result? - Some improvement, although not all the keys feel as nice as they did, I think they just need pressing more... a square under the spacebar and on each of the locating pins has stopped that sounding awful too!

Might have a look for some better material to make landing pads out of, I've heard cheapo bakeware be used...

What has also helped a little bit is a bit of thick card underneath the board itself! Whilst the construction is quite good, it does sound worse straight on the desk. However the card lifts it up way too much, so might have a think of a plan B for that.

I'll get my £19.99 worth out of this board yet! The 'click' is getting to me though, it's lovely! Just the 'clack' I'm not so sure of!

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 06:46:22 »
You can get some extra wide mouse pads that cover both the mouse area and the keyboard area those reduce the sound greatly because it is not transferred to the desk.

The problem with o-rings and landing pads is that they only dampen the sound of the downstroke, for silencing the upstroke you need either dampened/silent switches or silencing clips like gmk's qmx or zeal's zealencio, but then those only work properly with cherry profile caps.

Another thing to look is the case, a thicker case were you can't see the switches from the sides reduces the sound further. and there are people and brands that fill the inside of the case with various "sound reducing" materials.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 06:53:15 »
I am not sure how deep your caps are, but if the cap itself is slamming into the plate, the plate will need to be felted. This probably isn't the case. I haven't seen many cherry based boards where the keycap can actually hit the plate.

If you made landing pads for the top of the switch body, then that may be all you can do short of getting thicker keycaps. Thicker keycaps will lower the pitch and volume substantially of the bottom out sound.

I also have to agree with putting the keyboard itself on a rubber mat. That was something I did a long time ago. I just got one of those giant desk mats, and both my mouse and keyboard sit on it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 06:54:59 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline beko1987

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 08:52:06 »
No, the keys don't hit the desk, the sound is just the inner stem hitting the top of the switch. Much reduced now, although I had to take the bit of cardboard out from underneath it as it raised it up too high for comfort! Will see if I have anything lying around that might work without being so high.

The 'thwock' sound it makes is quite nice as it's not too loud. What sort of board should I look for with a nice low Thwock sound?

Typing speed is increasing by the hour too! Having a large run of raising bugs this afternoon and I feel I have less mistakes and a higher typing speed, is this usual? I quite liked my old rubber dome board, but this is amazing!I'd love to see what a 'proper' board is like...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 09:38:51 »
I think you're ready for your next board--time to hit the classifieds and ebay and see what deal you can find for your next board.  :cool:

Offline beko1987

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 09:56:07 »
I think you're ready for your next board--time to hit the classifieds and ebay and see what deal you can find for your next board.  :cool:

Blimey, Ive only had this one 2 days, is this how it starts?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 10:15:49 »

Blimey, Ive only had this one 2 days, is this how it starts?
More or less yes.  :eek: :))

As you become more satisfied with what you have, you tend to trim down your collection and pass it onto someone else who will cherish it.  But initially, you'll want to buy everything you can get your hands on.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 14:44:31 »
I had a similar experience with one of my first mechs (MX blue) in that I found it impossible not to bottom out. Here's the thing though: that "advantage" of not needing to bottom out the keys you always hear about is really not a thing. I thought I was doing something wrong for the longest time.

To clarify, I have noticed that using mechs for the last four years or so has lightened my touch (especially when I go back to cheap rubber domes), but that's not to say I don't push the keys all the way to the bottom. In fact, with clicky switches it's basically impossible not to. If that's your goal, linears are the easiest to do that with. Tactiles are second. Technically, yes, the switch actuates before the key reaches the bottom, but applying enough force to get past the click and then instantly removing all force to avoid bottom out within 2 mm is really not feasible when typing at normal speeds.

The other "advantage" is that you will type faster on a mechanical keyboard. I'm not entirely convinced of this. I definitely enjoy it more, and I feel less fatigued, but in side by side tests, I do not see much of a difference. I think the auditory feedback from pressing the mechanical keys increases my accuracy just a bit though.

Overall, my opinion is that the "advantages" are slowly acquired adaptations to your typing style. You won't see them immediately, and, even after adapting, you may not even notice them until you try going back to a crappy rubber dome keyboard. Basically, what I'm trying to say is just enjoy your new keyboard and don't fret that you're missing something!

Of all the common switches I've tried so far, Zealios and Matias clicks are my favorites (Matias are even louder than blues though). Model M buckling springs are the best clickies I've used (even though I'm slower with them!). I've not tried Model F buckling springs though, which are supposedly better. One thing I have also discovered is that it's not just the switches that make the keyboard feel different, but the entire design and construction of the keyboard affects the feel (how solid, heavy, and inflexible it is). That's why these custom keyboards with cases from blocks of aluminum and brass switch plates are so popular.

Also, yes the temptation to try every single keyboard, switch, and keycap combination ever, right now, is how this works  ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 November 2017, 00:30:39 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 20:31:53 »
Well said.  I have been typing on model Ms from the beginning and all I know is that because of the audible and tactile feedbacks, I don't want to press the key any further past that point.  There's an excellent thread here by tp4 on some the techniques he uses to push past 90wpm and it's interesting how acrobatic your fingers need to get to really fly.  :eek:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 20:37:22 »
So, reading about o-rings and landing pads, I thought 'Why not make some!). So, I've spent 20 minutes making little squares of quite thick card with a holepunch in the middle, and put them under all the keys! Result? - Some improvement, although not all the keys feel as nice as they did, I think they just need pressing more... a square under the spacebar and on each of the locating pins has stopped that sounding awful too!

Might have a look for some better material to make landing pads out of, I've heard cheapo bakeware be used...

Glad you're enjoying your new MK! When I got mine, I quieted it with some 2mm craft foam, which you can find at hobby and sewing shops. It looks like this:

182357-0

I ruled off some 1/4" squares, punched a whole in the center of each of them with a paper punch, then cut them apart and fitted them onto the switches. It worked surprisingly well.

I got some actual O-rings later, which make the board even quieter, though they reduce the key's travel a bit more since they're firmer. They're worth a try, though, as they're super-cheap (under a couple of bucks, including postage), and you may find you don't mind the difference. Some peeps actually prefer it. It can speed up your typing, and feel more comfortable by removing the hard feel of "bottoming out".
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 20:41:26 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 20:51:10 »
Torx screws eh? Nice find :)

Offline beko1987

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 06:19:04 »
Still going strong! I quite like it bar the noise, so before buying a whole different keyboard I bought an o-ring pack today, to see what that's like. I think a large part of the noise is the keycaps, but it's a bit quieter with my cardboard poor man's damper pads.

I quite like it though, have picked up a nice typing speed, like the thwock sound the keys make and am generally still quite happy with it.

Have been looking at other boards, but TBH nothing has taken my fancy yet, weighing up reds or browns for another board, trying to find a cheaper second hand board to try rather than shelling out £££ on a new one. Overclockers UK have a Corsair K70 Lux on offer, but I'm not sure how real world better it would be than what I already have bar the red switches...https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-gaming-k70-lux-mechanical-keyboard-backlit-red-led-cherry-mx-red-ch-9101020-uk-kb-098-cs.html

Have been looking at gaming mats too to dampen the board down on the desk https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-mega-mat-xxl-elite-tactical-gaming-surface-gs-002-op.html but not sure how well that will work as I need to clear my desk at the end of the day for the cleaner to run a dirty cloth over it, and that might be a pain to move about!

Must also treat my MX Revolution mouse to a new battery, new skid pads and a damn good stripdown and clean up this year, will be it's 9th birthday next year, again, heavy office use!

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 06:38:37 »
Still going strong! I quite like it bar the noise, so before buying a whole different keyboard I bought an o-ring pack today, to see what that's like. I think a large part of the noise is the keycaps, but it's a bit quieter with my cardboard poor man's damper pads.

I quite like it though, have picked up a nice typing speed, like the thwock sound the keys make and am generally still quite happy with it.

Have been looking at other boards, but TBH nothing has taken my fancy yet, weighing up reds or browns for another board, trying to find a cheaper second hand board to try rather than shelling out £££ on a new one. Overclockers UK have a Corsair K70 Lux on offer, but I'm not sure how real world better it would be than what I already have bar the red switches...https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-gaming-k70-lux-mechanical-keyboard-backlit-red-led-cherry-mx-red-ch-9101020-uk-kb-098-cs.html

Have been looking at gaming mats too to dampen the board down on the desk https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-mega-mat-xxl-elite-tactical-gaming-surface-gs-002-op.html but not sure how well that will work as I need to clear my desk at the end of the day for the cleaner to run a dirty cloth over it, and that might be a pain to move about!

Must also treat my MX Revolution mouse to a new battery, new skid pads and a damn good stripdown and clean up this year, will be it's 9th birthday next year, again, heavy office use!

I would advise against corsair boards, i have a k70 rgb and it kinda sucks, the software for adjusting it is rubbish, is constantly nagging me with updates and the whole keyboard just freezes from time to time and needs a reboot.

Offline beko1987

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 08:14:32 »
Blimey I can deal with the lighting being as bit rubbish as I won't use it, but I can't have it freezing on me! I can't touch type fully so by the time I look up I'd have not been typing for 2 minutes! It's what puts me off wireless keyboards, my mouse is wireless but has a dock so I can just lob it on for 5 minutes and go have a smoke and be fine for the rest of the day

Thanks for the heads up

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 08:33:21 »
Never happened mid sentence or i would have thrown it out already, happens when resuming from a suspend sometimes, should have been clear on that.

Still not acceptable, glad i bought it second hand and not at full price.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 09:31:09 »
Was coming in with the expectation to find a steaming pile of crap. Very pleasantly surprised to see that board. Aluminum plate, decent cherry clones, seemingly decent ABS caps all in a neat little TKL package. Nice find! Looks like you're on your way.

As for silencing, WASD makes some decent O-rings that are "relatively" cheap. I say relative looking at the rest of this hobby.... Another alternative are dental bands. Either way, you're off to the races! Have fun with the mechboard bug  :p
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline beko1987

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 10:40:08 »
Ah well that's not as bad then, never suspend my laptop at work so no issue there, but will bear it in mind. None go really cheaply on ebay though, don't think I want to pay full retail for something I'll pretty much just be using to try out the switches on initially

The keycaps let this cheap board down a little bit. It came with 4 'gamer' caps which are a thicker material, and fitting them to 4 keys does shut it up a little bit. Not quite sure I fancy shelling out what would be nearly another keyboard on new caps though. Will see how the o-rings do when they arrive probably early next week now (I don't have amazon prime so cheaped out on free delivery)

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:36:10 »
Having used mechanicals for years now, I no longer bottom out at all, especially on clicky and tactile switches. That is the exact opposite of how it used to be for me, but my fingers eventually trained themselves to only use as much effort as required to make the key click or overcome any tactility. Because of that, I now miss keystrokes on membrane keyboards. On linear switches, it is ALL about the bottom out thock sound.

The bottom out 'advantage' IS a thing, but it is an 'acquired' thing. I feel like I have to pound on a membrane keyboard like a gorilla to not make mistakes. Not counting Model M of course, because of the click mechanism being linked to the actuation of the switch. When someone first starts using a mechanical keyboard, it will feel awkwardly light and they will keep typing like a gorilla because that is how membrane keyboards trained them to type. You will stop doing that in time without actually putting effort into it. One day it will click, and you will find yourself feather typing really fast, and it will feel great.

Personally, I would recommend people coming from a mechanical to FIRST use a cherry mx clear keyboard(NOT gateron clear!, different switch entirely). This keyboard is closer to the 'feel' they are used to, but very high quality feeling, the switch has a nice bottom out sound, and the weighting increases non-linearly, which trains the user to not bottom out. If you get to the point that they keyboard is starting to feel too heavy, then move on to the lighter switches. Personally I don't like brown switches, i think they lack enough tactility to avoid bottoming out and it doesn't feel very nice, but this is all subjective. My favorite tactile cherry switches are mod-m's and zealios. Mod-m switches have greater tactility but aren't as smooth, zealios switches are VERY smooth with more tactility than browns but less than mod-m's. The bump feels 'rounder'.

To get more tactility than Mod-m's, youll have to move over to alps switches. Matias makes great clones which, quite frankly, are better than anything cherry puts out. However, many people prefer the feel of cherry when it comes to clicky, other people love the feel of matias, so this is something you will need to figure out yourself. Alps based switches, generally, cost more than cherry based switches. Alps switches are also much more vulnerable to dust and debris, so they are basically divas, expensive and require a lot of upkeep :P

Lastly, we have the 'kings' of clicky, which is the IBM boards, like the model m and model f. Unicomp makes modern versions of the model m.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:48:27 by rich1051414 »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 16:00:46 »
To get more tactility than Mod-m's, youll have to move over to alps switches. Matias makes great clones which, quite frankly, are better than anything cherry puts out. However, many people prefer the feel of cherry when it comes to clicky, other people love the feel of matias, so this is something you will need to figure out yourself. Alps based switches, generally, cost more than cherry based switches. Alps switches are also much more vulnerable to dust and debris, so they are basically divas, expensive and require a lot of upkeep :P

Lastly, we have the 'kings' of clicky, which is the IBM boards, like the model m and model f. Unicomp makes modern versions of the model m.

From personal experience, in terms of satisfaction, Model M buckling spring >= Alps Blues >>> MX Blues. Of course this is only for clicky switches. Certain topre domes have a serious bit of tactile feedback, but those are no-where near as sharp as clicky switches.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 23:31:12 »

From personal experience, in terms of satisfaction, Model M buckling spring >= Alps Blues >>> MX Blues. Of course this is only for clicky switches. Certain topre domes have a serious bit of tactile feedback, but those are no-where near as sharp as clicky switches.
When talking about 'tactile switches', I was intentionally not counting clicky switches. Yes, clicky switches do have sharper tactility. When in my room, I exclusively use clicky because I like the FEEL, not the sound. Everywhere else, I like alps. I feel they have a sharper, more pronounced tactility than anything cherry based. I put topre in a different category entirely though. I know most people consider them 'mechanical', but I don't. Fight me. :)

Offline beko1987

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 05:49:01 »
I quite like the 'click' of these TTC Blue's I have, if I type for long periods on them I do feel myself lightening up with my typing, but because I've only had a few weeks, not quite enough to stop bottoming out.

I'll see what happens when I o-ring it, and assess from there.

I do still want a buckling spring board, but they seem quite noisy having watched many of Cyros's videos, and I had a bit of flack with this board the first few days I got it (died down now), plus if I don't like it, that's £100 (for a unicomp) wasted, although I would probably make that back if I sold it quickly in good condition.

Don't suppose there's anyone here in Oxon/Bucks in the UK who have a few boards I could come and fondle are there? Spent a bit now for christmas so will probably sit on it for a while until I've paid the credit card off and have another think next year. Or find a bargain on ebay, have a few saved searches set up now...

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 08:52:09 »

When talking about 'tactile switches', I was intentionally not counting clicky switches. Yes, clicky switches do have sharper tactility. When in my room, I exclusively use clicky because I like the FEEL, not the sound. Everywhere else, I like alps. I feel they have a sharper, more pronounced tactility than anything cherry based. I put topre in a different category entirely though. I know most people consider them 'mechanical', but I don't. Fight me. :)

Oh I completely agree. Topre are fancy rubber domes. But I like (some of) them. Inb4; tp4 comes and blows up this thread about Topre.

As for Alps, 100% agree. I have boards with blues, salmons, and oranges, and I still think they are some of my favorite switches even among my modern clones. That being said, Alps have far less in the way of key sets etc. So, if you're in the hobby for pretty looking keebs, stick with a cherry clone. If you are about the feels ... NOTHING wins over a buckling spring or alps switch. Fact.

Offline beko1987

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 08:59:30 »
Yesterday, I bought a pack of o-rings,their in the post now. Driving home, I remembered I had a box,so dug them out. You know it's a quality product when the labels are spelt like this:

Using the 2 sizes that fitted snugly, I o-ringed it up!

And it's made it alot quieter! All you can really here now is the cheap keycaps being pushed, and the actuation click. The loud clatter has been muted right down. Newbie me can't notice any significant reduction of key travel, but I'm not the best person to ask about that anyway! Also, because I had tiny rings, I could double ring the spacebar stabiliser posts, and stop the awful racket the spacebar used to make!

Can get rid of my pretty rubbish cardboard pads now, that didn't really do anything!

Will probably re-ring it when the actual O-Rings come, only did the letter keys so will do the whole board (might leave the space bar as is though as it's fine now.)

Job bodged!

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 09:07:55 »
How do you even forget you have a huge box of 400 o-rings lying around? :p

Can you post a picture of the stabilizers? to see what type they are and what exactly did you did to them.

Offline beko1987

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 10:53:21 »
I got given them years ago, when we cleared my step-grandad's place out when he went into a home. Thought they might come in udeful, but then haven't wanted to use them on the cars as their probably not oil or fuel proof (and I'm sure I'd find that out on the motorway or miles from home...) so they've just got buried!

Here's the space bar

Has quietened it down now, I always hit the space bar on the very left side because I'm a bad typer, this stops the crash it made!

Spent all afternoon typing now and it's a much nicer sound, whilst still retaining the switch feel. Can't help but wonder if better key caps/a closed type keyboard chassis would help even more, but I'll stick with this for now!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 10:53:36 »
Those look industrial ... any idea how stiff they are in comparison to other softer O-rings?

Offline beko1987

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 11:30:56 »
No idea on comparison, will compare when the o-rings I ordered come! They do feel quite stiff though, I doubt thei had keyboards in mind when they were made!

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 12:11:11 »
Never seen stabilizers like that on a "mx type" board, nice!
It's like a mix between topre and costar stabilisers, with two extra strings. Bizzare.

Are the stabilisers on the other keys like this?

For reference this is a cherry stabiliser from the deskthority wiki:

and this is a costar one:

EDIT: This means you are not replacing the caps on that board anytime soon has the spacebars from sets you could normally buy would not be made for those "weird" stabilisers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 12:14:02 by AMongoose »

Offline beko1987

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:21:17 »
Popped the shift key off and it has the same metal bar setup, but not the 2 posts.

New caps for this board will probably be a bit silly, and now you've confirmed it would be pointless as well! Been looking at those cheap bluetooth mechanical keyboard from the other thread, will grab one next year when I'm not quitoe so poor, can link it to my phone as well (supposedly!)

I think the amazon van is outside work, my o-rings should be in there! Saw a massive pile of Amazon stuff being turfed out when I came in from a rolly just now

Offline beko1987

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 06:20:30 »
I think I know what the issue is, and o-rings aren't quite the answer! The keycap design means the underneath part is too tall, so the keys bottom the switch out before hitting the deck. 3 o-rings work well, as they pack out the space, 4 makes the switches feel like crap...
All seems a bit pointless really going to that much effort. It does dull it down a bit, so later on when work gets a bit quieter I might experiement with 3 rings, but TBH I think it's time for a different board with better keycaps. Plan B could be to re-make all my cardboard spacers (threw them away yesterday...) to pack the top out, then 1 o-ring, but it seems alot of effort...

How about I lay a gauntlet down to you good people:

UK (so ebay.co.uk)
£30/£40 at a push, needs postage
Second hand is fine, slightly worn is fine, utterly filthy and needing a clean is fine too!
I have zero switch preference at all! Typing not gaming, and light is good (had a go on my old IBM Membrane the other day and my god it's heavy!) so that could help!

Find me a nicer keyboard! I imagine any of the really cheap ones will have the same keycap issue, so the £30 bluetooth ones will probably be the same.
No-one has complained for a while about noise though, so I could just carry on as I am for now!

Starting to see how this can become expensive... I thought collecting vacuum cleaners cost a bit...

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 07:07:16 »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCCAT-Ryos-MK-Pro-Cherry-MX-Black-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-SEE-DESCRIPTION/202051771529?hash=item2f0b395c89:g:DGYAAOSwRjtZtQVA

What are Cherry Blacks like?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-K65-Vengeance-Mechanical-Keyboard-Excellent-gaming-keyboard/292360099929?hash=item4412051859:g:688AAOSw0wRaKAUp

Cherry MX Reds (fancy trying those)
These two have 6.5u spacebars which are hard to find so, if you are after custom keysets, I would advise against.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cherry-mechanic-keyboard/182941068418?hash=item2a98232c82:g:HREAAOSwUlxaIps3

Would this even have mechanical switches or is it a membrane?
Cherry MX blacks on that one.
You can tell by the article number  G80-3000-LPCEU-2 where:
G80 = Cherry MX series while G81 are Cherry MY.
3000 = Full size keyboard.
L = Lasered keycaps.
P = MX blacks with PS/2 or USB Combo.
EU = ANSI with Euro glyph.
-2 = Black case.
You can find more informations about Cherry article numbers on the Deskthority wiki.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline beko1987

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 09:29:43 »
That's very handy, thanks! Got that Cherry in my watch list, if it stays at £20, I might give it a whirl and try blacks. I'm a heavy typer, and from what I've read that will help

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 10:03:10 »
Got that Cherry in my watch list, if it stays at £20, I might give it a whirl and try blacks.
That's a very battered unit but I guess you can clean it up and reuse switches and case.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline beko1987

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 10:39:40 »
Really not fussed about what it looks like, it'll clean up OK! I'm more wanting to test the switches at the moment than have a collection piece! And a used, filthy board will be a much cheaper way of going about it than buying new boards everywhere. Plus I'm using it at work, so it will only get filthy when I eat at my desk etc.

I've o-ringed my current board now, and it's taken 2 of the new o-rings and the thicker ones I used yesterday to make 3 to stop the bottoming out, and now it just has the sound of my fingers hitting the caps and the switch. But it has changed the feel to be a tad heavier, so I'm still not 100% happy, but I'll roll with it next week and see. One bonus of buying the o-rings is it came with a nice wire keycap puller, rather than the horrible plastic one that came with the keyboard.

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 08:15:51 »
seems good. Blue switch, space bar great, shift great. But just bulky, not good-looking... Not my type

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 08:22:56 »
HAVE YOU TRIED SILENCING THAT KEY BOARD?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline divito

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 23:52:48 »
Having used mechanicals for years now, I no longer bottom out at all, especially on clicky and tactile switches. That is the exact opposite of how it used to be for me, but my fingers eventually trained themselves to only use as much effort as required to make the key click or overcome any tactility. Because of that, I now miss keystrokes on membrane keyboards. On linear switches, it is ALL about the bottom out thock sound.

Does not compute.

I will never, ever, not bottom out on a keyboard.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 01:08:44 »

Does not compute.

I will never, ever, not bottom out on a keyboard.
If if it makes you feel better, I can't prevent myself from bottoming out alps clicky switches.

Offline beko1987

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 05:31:30 »
I had to work from home yesterday due to the snow in the UK, and had to use my laptop keyboard properly and my god it took ages to get used to it again. Back in the office and my £20 cheap keyboard feels so good! Even with 3 o-rings on to bring the stop point of the key caps down to a resonable level!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 08:40:04 »
I had to work from home yesterday due to the snow in the UK, and had to use my laptop keyboard properly and my god it took ages to get used to it again. Back in the office and my £20 cheap keyboard feels so good! Even with 3 o-rings on to bring the stop point of the key caps down to a resonable level!

3.... o-rings? Either your switches have an insane amount travel, or you are really not used to mechs.

Offline beko1987

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 11:19:33 »

3.... o-rings? Either your switches have an insane amount travel, or you are really not used to mechs.

It's the keycaps, they have no internal mouldings. One o-ring just sits there halfway up the stem after a good tapping to seat it, the key still bottoms out. 2 does the same, 3 is just too much but does the job, and halts the key on the switch housing surround rather than letting it bottom out. Need to take one out and try it with 2, but haven't had time yet.

It has quietened it down a fair bit though, so has done the job. Will take one out of each one and see if that improves it. TBH It may be silencing the keycap noise more than the keyswitches, I'm not experienced enough to tell

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 11:21:22 »

It's the keycaps, they have no internal mouldings. One o-ring just sits there halfway up the stem after a good tapping to seat it, the key still bottoms out. 2 does the same, 3 is just too much but does the job, and halts the key on the switch housing surround rather than letting it bottom out. Need to take one out and try it with 2, but haven't had time yet.

It has quietened it down a fair bit though, so has done the job. Will take one out of each one and see if that improves it. TBH It may be silencing the keycap noise more than the keyswitches, I'm not experienced enough to tell

If the switches are entirely hollow that makes a lot of sense. It also explains how this company was able to keep prices so low, while also producing a steel or alu top plate.

Offline beko1987

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 10:40:08 »
They seem pretty hollow, for example

3 o-rings (2 actual keyboard o-rings, 1 bigger one from my red box)

And my boss went home earlier,. so I took them all down to 2

And the board is a bit louder, the noise is lighter in pitch but not as bad as without any.

Unsure which switch to try next tbh. Blues might be utterly fine when wrapped around a decent case with better caps. Bit of a curve ball though, my laptop died last week, and I have a loan one for now. Due to get a new device 8 months ago, which has been sped up, and it's been mooted that I will have a desktop, which would be nice as I would have 2 monitors and nothing else on my desk, the tower can sit on the floor. So now I'm looking a little bit harder at wireless mech's... Either those cheap chinese ones, or a Logitech one (which I understand uses topre? whatever that is)

Or The desk could be set up and a wire'd board would look fine, in which case it's back to the search!

Saying all of that though, joking around earlier in the office a comment was passed that 'your keyboard doesnt sound as loud now'... I said it hasn't changed, and their answer was 'we must all be used to it' so that's a small win! Silence is not needed...