Author Topic: Granite Alps is no more  (Read 4720 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Granite Alps is no more
« on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:29:28 »
Got the email from PMK advertising HC Granite and MX Granite back in stock.  And then this:

And while we're on the subject of Granite . . . we wanted to let you know that we won't be restocking Granite Alps. This set, which launched in June 2017, was designed to suit Matias' ALPS-style switches. We only have a handful of text modifiers, icon modifiers, and extreme modifiers left, so be sure to claim yours before they're gone forever!

Boo.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:31:32 by reececonrad »

Offline zombimuncha

Re: Granite Alps is no more
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 02:13:59 »
:(

Guess I better quickly figure out if I need those 1u bottom row mods or not.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 02:36:34 »

buy them now and sell them if you think you won't need them
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 07:46:45 »
Not a complete loss.  Signature Plastics has some garbage stems on these.

I suspect the decision wasn't driven by demand so much as having to redo random caps because they snap off easily.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 08:33:38 »
Not a complete loss.  Signature Plastics has some garbage stems on these.

I suspect the decision wasn't driven by demand so much as having to redo random caps because they snap off easily.

Also ends my searching for an alps build with cherry stabilizers.

I’ll just stick to Tai Hoa caps for my next build.  Sure they are thin, but you can yank them out with Godly force and they don’t break.  My SP alps sometimes begin to break when putting them on the switches...

Matias said his caps would be produced by the end of the year. Not holding my breath.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 09:22:57 »

buy them now and sell them if you think you won't need them

USD$50 for three caps, incl shipping. Maybe I'll try to buy them used if I actually need them. In the meantime I have some extra 1u, just wtih wrong legends.

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 10:56:31 »
Matias said his caps would be produced by the end of the year. Not holding my breath.

My prediction is that PBT sets were held up due to horrible QC at the switch factory.  I'm sure Matias is going to monitor the retooled switch production for failures before dropping stacks on PBT sets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2017, 10:58:05 by dante »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 11:11:38 »

My prediction is that PBT sets were held up due to horrible QC at the switch factory.  I'm sure Matias is going to monitor the retooled switch production for failures before dropping stacks on PBT sets.

Hmm...  I didn't know about issues with the new switches. I had a switch in my v60 that I couldn't fix from chattering, so I picked up 10 of the new ones on r/mm. I was impressed by the new design.  Far less wobble.  I was just about to put in an order so that I could swap them ALL out.  Should I be concerned with the switches I'm getting.

Offline dante

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 11:36:33 »
The retooled switches haven't been out long enough to see if there are any issues.  There are still reviews coming in from those who purchased as recent as 6 months ago that have severe chattering issues; and likely for some time to come since there is so much old stock still out there.  Some people have received multiple replacement boards (per reviews) and gave up on the brand altogether.

KBParadise are now using DataComp switches so even they have a back up plan.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 12:56:44 »
The retooled switches haven't been out long enough to see if there are any issues.  There are still reviews coming in from those who purchased as recent as 6 months ago that have severe chattering issues; and likely for some time to come since there is so much old stock still out there.  Some people have received multiple replacement boards (per reviews) and gave up on the brand altogether.

KBParadise are now using DataComp switches so even they have a back up plan.

The board I was using had old switches in it.  I've had 3 total switches (on a 60%) that had chatter.  I was able to fix 2 of them.  On both of those switches, it seemed like the plate connected to the lead pin wasn't ever seated properly down into the switch, causing the plate to bounce more than intended.  I was able to fix 2 of them, but gave up on the 3rd.  I replaced it and had no trouble since.  I guess I don't worry about chatter b/c I'm not afraid to desolder.