Author Topic: High end big Man's chair?  (Read 425 times)

Offline typo

High end big Man's chair?
« on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 23:59:59 »
I like Herman Miller. I pulled out a Embody again hoping I could fit. My back is where your shoulders should be. Plus width I have to flip out the arm rests to exit. I had been using the Eames which is not a technical chair but was comfy. I wore out the cushion already. Same thing with biggest Aeron. Their big man's chair sucks. Along with every other company I know of. It is prejudice. There are many very wealthy big Folks who also care about ergonomics.

Does anyone know of a high end technical big chair? If it is a true big model it is rated 450 or 550#. I only weigh 372. Many of you know about me. I am not at all fat. It is just a common misconception. Regardless, I still have love for fat folk's too. I just cannot find a high end technical chair. It seems no company cares. I see a market for this but not going into the seating business. If anyone can help find something it would be much appreciated. I am so bummed. The Eames was just okay until the foam crushed. This sucks!

Offline JohanAR

Re: High end big Man's chair?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 02:34:37 »
I have a Håg chair which has an extra wide version and you can get a very tall gas lift with it (I got this version by accident when I ordered mine). I couldn't find max load for the chair though and the H04 4650 isn't available at their US site at all but maybe you could try contacting them if it sounds interesting.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 16:55:21 »
I have to check this out. Thank you. Meanwhile I could not stand my bottom or back. The Eames is not a big mans chair but it is big enough for me. So my Wife is good with sewing. We opened the cushions and replaced the foam with 12 pound Viscoelastic foam. Actually as I expected it is better than it was new. I am a fan of Viscoelastic foam. The cavities on those cushions are deep enough that it will not bottom out plus it is 12 pound foam. You do not usually see that. We were very careful and it worked out real good. I think We just turned Herman Miller's $5,000 chair into a $10,000 one LOL. I still would appreciate a technical task chair like the Embody I yearn to fit into. I will go check this out. The embody seems like a marvel but you have to be on the small side which I am most certainly not. Actually the Eames is only rated 250# but I bet it would hold 1,000#. The Embody I had nerve to even try it. With the control on that thing I may as well have easily broken it. If I like that and cannot get it there must be something in the US. How come all the big man's chairs are very basic. I want a fully adjustable 8-10 hour chair. Not how long I sit but how they are rated. Although I have been known to sit 16 hours working.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 17:10:53 »
Wait! That is a 20" wide seat? Hon makes a interesting chair that is just standard size at 23". Of course get into their big chairs they are not fully adjustable. I had used a Hon but I am not sure they are built like they used to be. Although the old all metal was standard 250#. The new plastic frame models are 300# in the standard line. I am not sure about Hon now. Looks made cheaper. They get heavily discounted but always did. a $1,500 chair ends up being $750. It is certainly not Herman Miler but those get big discounts too. Interestingly your chair looks just like the Hon HLWU that I am speaking of.

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 01:37:32 »
Yea, the wide one has a 20" seat so it might not be very large by US standards. Maximum seat height is 31" so I was thinking it ought to be tall enough for you at least

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 04:51:07 »
You know this is a fundamental problem in the US so go figure. Supersize Mcdonald's all day. The truth if you did not know is I am a health nut and avid exercise freak. I weigh 372 and have a Sick pack. At my height that is not really heavy though. That just amazes me. 20". Americans are a bunch of slobs LOL. Most US big chairs are like 28". There was a very nice Hon 6213 but long gone. The new ones seem cheaper built but hold more weight so I may be wrong. I am just not going to find anything like the Embody. I noticed why Herman Miller is so high end. They make lighting too. They are really a functional art company. There is nothing else like 3 of their chairs that I know of. I am good with the Eames again now but really wish I had more adjustment. It is odd the Eames is so big. Well, different type of chair. There is a Hon showroom here so I could check it out. It is most certainly a high end chair but not Herman Miller. That thing is like for an 700# 9 foot tall man LOL. Many of their standard chairs are 23" and 40" high so that is actually fine. Just goes to show the size of Americans. Not all certainly but I guess they figured just in case. Just the Embody is one of a kind but the point is moot. I cannot fit in it.