Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 251164 times)

Offline letze

• Here I am~
Finally sold out for good.  :)
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline YouGotRioted

Glad I got in before it finished. Might pick up a second realforce in white to go with my current black one, to mix and match later on.

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S
Hey all, I'll start an IC thread next Monday. I'm busy this week and want to do it right from the start. I'll also have price breakdowns for orders of 30/40/50 since we seem to have fair interest.

this sounds amazing - count me in.

Offline rjuju

I want in too!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Depeche

Hey all, I'll start an IC thread next Monday. I'm busy this week and want to do it right from the start. I'll also have price breakdowns for orders of 30/40/50 since we seem to have fair interest.

this sounds amazing - count me in.

+1 I'm down for this too.

Offline UnFocused

As Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part". I'm very much looking forward to putting my 87U in the Aerospace Aluminum case.

My 87U started life as the all black version, but I eventually got tired of the monochrome look and swapped the case and caps from a white 87U. I've now turned it into a pseudo anniversary edition board with the addition of the blue caps that came in today. Those are getting harder to find and more expensive, so I thought it time to grab a set before they're gone for good.

Offline Peddamann

um.... did the IC for the brass plate already start in a seperate thread? didnt find anything regarding oO

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
um.... did the IC for the brass plate already start in a seperate thread? didnt find anything regarding oO

I think he just hasn't had time to get to it yet, but I'm sure he'll post here in this thread once he has.

Offline Peddamann

Offline clappingcactus

I think he just hasn't had time to get to it yet, but I'm sure he'll post here in this thread once he has.

Yup, I'm not going anywhere. My graduate dissertation is due this Friday, so my life is just a mess right now, but clears up significantly soon. I've still been talking to the manufacturer (even about all the questions someone messaged me). IC up on Saturday or Sunday (depending on how much sleep I need).

Offline norbauer

Yup, I'm not going anywhere. My graduate dissertation is due this Friday, so my life is just a mess right now, but clears up significantly soon. I've still been talking to the manufacturer (even about all the questions someone messaged me). IC up on Saturday or Sunday (depending on how much sleep I need).

Man am I glad I left academia; I feel your pain. ;)

Take your time. This stuff is all supposed to be for fun, so no stress! :thumb:

Offline sodiumjoe

I got my norbatouch over the weekend and honestly with how heavy that case is, I don't understand why you'd want to add more weight

Offline le_wraith

I got my norbatouch over the weekend and honestly with how heavy that case is, I don't understand why you'd want to add more weight

It can never be too heavy man. Compared to my favorite board (LZ Finale 2014) the norbatouch feels featherlight.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

It can never be too heavy man. Compared to my favorite board (LZ Finale 2014) the norbatouch feels featherlight.

they are within 300 grams of eachother but having felt both i agree
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
There's just something about a heavy keyboard that tickles my pickle.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline sodiumjoe

hey whatever floats your boats... or sinks them in this case

Offline Jca666us

Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #416 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 01:38:37 »

Count me in for one.

Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:
For 1: $230
For 5: $104
For 10: $100
For 20: $90

The place also contracts a Rolex (re)finisher for their PVD work, and can get Nickel and Gold done. The Nickel PVD plating would cost about $50-70ish, and the Gold PVD would cost $100-$150ish (because the Gold actual is double-plated, with a base of Nickel first). I understand this puts the highest end plate at around $250ish which is a lot, but advantages include impeccable work, great QC and turnaround time (I guarantee your plates will arrive before the case does).

I would be taking in three extra plates' worth of money just in case of accidents or mis-estimated pricings. Shipping worldwide from Canada is about $40 per piece, and I'd be 'paying myself' $15 per hour for the administrative duties (estimated 6 hours work) (and I'll actually be donating all this money to a homeless shelter local to me with a donation receipt for all to see). Any surplus cash will be listed clearly after the buy, and will be available to be forwarded in lump-sum to any buys related to Norbauer's cases (i.e. if someone wants to take on a brass plate or offer a re-anodization process or for Norbauer himself to prototype future cases etc.).

How does this sound?

edit: All prices in CAD which currently trades for 0.8USD.

Offline Stresemann

Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #417 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 03:59:08 »

I am definitely in for one. I hope the update about this come up soon!

Count me in for one.

Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:
For 1: $230
For 5: $104
For 10: $100
For 20: $90

The place also contracts a Rolex (re)finisher for their PVD work, and can get Nickel and Gold done. The Nickel PVD plating would cost about $50-70ish, and the Gold PVD would cost $100-$150ish (because the Gold actual is double-plated, with a base of Nickel first). I understand this puts the highest end plate at around $250ish which is a lot, but advantages include impeccable work, great QC and turnaround time (I guarantee your plates will arrive before the case does).

I would be taking in three extra plates' worth of money just in case of accidents or mis-estimated pricings. Shipping worldwide from Canada is about $40 per piece, and I'd be 'paying myself' $15 per hour for the administrative duties (estimated 6 hours work) (and I'll actually be donating all this money to a homeless shelter local to me with a donation receipt for all to see). Any surplus cash will be listed clearly after the buy, and will be available to be forwarded in lump-sum to any buys related to Norbauer's cases (i.e. if someone wants to take on a brass plate or offer a re-anodization process or for Norbauer himself to prototype future cases etc.).

How does this sound?

edit: All prices in CAD which currently trades for 0.8USD.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2018, 04:01:47 by Stresemann »

Offline tuxkey

Absolutely amazing case.. hefty price but i guess that's the cost of perfection.. Love what you do "norbauer" seen you on Topclack and love reading that your donating profits to a good cause.. Reminds me of the ZeitGeist people trying to help make the world a better place..
For me i use the FC660C because i like the compact form factor of it being compact and having dedicated arrow clusters. Also absolutely love the Hasu controller making it fully programmable..So i'm happy that this case isn't for the FC660C hahaha living in The Netherlands means i have to add 32% on top of the total price inc shipping .. So that's $87 on top !!!
That's a bit to much for me. it's actually robbery by the so called state.  (just read "the most dangerous superstition by Larken Rose, free e-book)... still love to see this level of quality and workmanship in a world of quick fast and low quality consumption this is top notch.. My compliments.. greetings from EU..

Offline graefeln

For me i use the FC660C because i like the compact form factor of it being compact and having dedicated arrow clusters. Also absolutely love the Hasu controller making it fully programmable..So i'm happy that this case isn't for the FC660C hahaha...

Bad (good?) news man, his next case is supposed to be for the 660c and I doubt it will be any cheaper. I actually just got myself a 660c in anticipation... hope I can manage to grab a case when they come around!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
If someone who gets this sweet alu case for his 87U and would like to get rid of old plastic one, please let me know as I'm looking to buy original 87u white case/chassis.
Thanks.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline norbauer

If someone who gets this sweet alu case for his 87U and would like to get rid of old plastic one, please let me know as I'm looking to buy original 87u white case/chassis.
Thanks.

Haha. How many do you need? I've got a pile. :) Feel free to email me and I can hook you up.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Thanks.

Haha. How many do you need? I've got a pile. :) Feel free to email me and I can hook you up.

oh man can you send me a black one? should i email you?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline norbauer

Thanks.

Yeah, totally. I'm still recovering from having been away all last week and trying to get back to inbox zero and tracking a million little tasks (sorry to anyone whom I owe emails!), so if you can send me an email with your address and the request just so I don't forget, that would be awesome.  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Thanks.

Yeah, totally. I'm still recovering from having been away all last week and trying to get back to inbox zero and tracking a million little tasks (sorry to anyone whom I owe emails!), so if you can send me an email with your address and the request just so I don't forget, that would be awesome.  :thumb:

will do right now

Offline gilmoregrills

I don't want to gravedig too hard but I just needed to note my interest in the FC660c case ;)

Especially if you were to keep the capacitance formula somewhere on the case, maybe engraved if that's possible? I know nothing about case manufacturing.

Offline norbauer

I don't want to gravedig too hard but I just needed to note my interest in the FC660c case ;)

Especially if you were to keep the capacitance formula somewhere on the case, maybe engraved if that's possible? I know nothing about case manufacturing.

My design is nearly complete; I've been running prototypes here in my workshop the past couple of weeks. I hope to start an IC soon. :)

Offline letze

• Here I am~
"sometime in the Spring or early summer"
means between June to August?  :D
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline norbauer

"sometime in the Spring or early summer"
means between June to August?  :D

That's what I was thinking, yes. In this time estimate I'm trying to choose a "safe" date, but I'm also keenly aware from experience of the amazing abilities of factories to observe Parkinson's law, so I'll keep trying to nudge things along as best as possible so we keep to the rough timeline.

Offline HotRoderX

I just I hope cost is a little cheaper or close to the Realforce cases either-way.. I am getting a FC660c case!!!.. I love my FC660C its one of my favorite board's for long typing sessions.

I do wonder if our options for case colors will be similar to what the realforce case had perhaps with a added scarlet/maroon red color???

Offline sodiumjoe

I'm still hoping for centered plug and usb-c.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
01 Tactical black (hard anodized) - Winkeys Standard (no blocker) can be added to cart but at checkout is sold out. Every other option/combination is correct displayed as sold out on the item page, just this one is not.

189052-0189054-1

Offline norbauer

01 Tactical black (hard anodized) - Winkeys Standard (no blocker) can be added to cart but at checkout is sold out. Every other option/combination is correct displayed as sold out on the item page, just this one is not.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

The black case you're seeing is reserved for someone, which is why it can't be purchased on checkout.

Offline captainish

Haven't been following this thread very closely, but here are some photos of my retro refrigerator prototype with soware alphas and sky dolch mods.

Offline norbauer

Haven't been following this thread very closely, but here are some photos of my retro refrigerator prototype with soware alphas and sky dolch mods.

For those curious/confused: this was a pre-production prototype housing (including an 87U inside) that I donated for the raffle at the most recent Boston meet-up. ;D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

Great keyset.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

The black case you're seeing is reserved for someone, which is why it can't be purchased on checkout.

I see, thanks for the clarification man!

Offline idlemao

Regret not getting in on this  :'(

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
Will there be any updates of the production or we just wait until the items in the mail? First time buying from GB, pardon me.

Offline norbauer

Will there be any updates of the production or we just wait until the items in the mail? First time buying from GB, pardon me.

Well, generally speaking, the standing update can safely be regarded as "currently being manufactured" until you get your shipping notification. However, I generally try to provide more granular updates than that here in the GH thread and elsewhere, most just for fun and general interest.

Along those lines: pre-production CAM programming and final samples are complete, but the factory elected to wait until the return from the Lunar New Year before beginning the production CNC work. Things should starting coming back online in a week or so for that.

Welcome to your first group buy, btw. I'm honored you chose my project to be your first! :)

Offline duckboi

Hi, sorry if i missed this somewhere, but the other side of the USB cable is USB A right? I can't wait for these to be done!  :D
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline HotRoderX

Hi, sorry if i missed this somewhere, but the other side of the USB cable is USB A right? I can't wait for these to be done!  :D

I don't think it was ever stated but just implied.. but yes I am 99.9% sure it will be USB-A I don't think keyboard's can even except a true full USB-C cable, and it would seriously limit comparability for everyone.

Offline norbauer

Affirmative.  :thumb:

Offline nguyenhimself

Hey norbauer, just PM'd you about the possibility of buying a white plastic case from your left-overs 🙂
Saving my credit card for that FC660C case. I remembered the excitement when Mechantronico first teased their design, only to be let down when they never followed-up on that 😣

Offline norbauer

Hey norbauer, just PM'd you about the possibility of buying a white plastic case from your left-overs 🙂
Saving my credit card for that FC660C case. I remembered the excitement when Mechantronico first teased their design, only to be let down when they never followed-up on that 😣

Show Image

Sadly, I'm out of spare housings at the moment. Quite a few people jumped on my casual mention of that rather quickly. ;)

Last week I posted some images of the current FC660 design prototype on my Instagram. Also, Huey from the most excellent TopClack was over this weekend and graciously provided me some very useful feedback and encouragement on it. So I'm feeling pretty good where things are right now. I'm sending it off to CNC prototyping in metal this week.

I think I'll wait until I have a physical prototype in hand and some nice pics before starting the IC and full deatils. But, in short, I'm getting close. Got to fill my spare keyboard time with something during the long wait while the Norbaforces are being manufactured, after all. ;)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker

Is it up yet? I still can't find anything.  :-[
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
Ryan, I'm not often around anymore but you know how much I'm in for an FC660C case since day 1. This is the last thing I miss for my build.

If you need any help or feedback please just send me a message!
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 19:16:37 by ramnes »
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S

Is it up yet? I still can't find anything.  :-[

not yet. I think the guy is still busy. I'm sure we won't miss it when it goes up though.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
Was there ever any movement on possibly having a programmable PCB option?
I know hasu makes a USB to USB version, if there's space maybe that could be adapted to fit before the USB PCB?

(Ideally you could have it all in one PCB, that would obviously be more work...)

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline vinzlr

What sliders would y’all recommend? I tried using some jtk sliders but they’re so loose that my keys fell off
:(