Author Topic: Clicky Alphas and Linear Modifiers  (Read 2636 times)

Offline triplered1452

Clicky Alphas and Linear Modifiers
« on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 04:07:11 »
Hello, after lurking in the community I have decided to build my own board. I brought a GK61 PCB, case, stabs, keycaps, plate and decided that for my first build I should use the BOX navy Switches.
I have heard of using Linear Switches for the modifiers, what do you think about it? The low return force of the Navies makes me curios...
In any case if I use Linears I will use clickbar less BOX navies since I brought 65 of them anyway.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Clicky Alphas and Linear Modifiers
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 08:23:19 »
IMO it's all personal preference. I would just go fully box navies.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 10:00:01 »
I tried something similar back when I was building my weird Katana60 board: ErgoClear (tactile) for alphas and Gateron Yellow (linear) for mods

It felt really... bizarre.

In the end, I opted for just slightly lighter tactile mods by using Zealios 67g. I vastly prefer this.

So my advice is: Same family of switch but different weights.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2018, 10:03:15 by nguyenhimself »

Offline triplered1452

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 11:35:19 »
I tried something similar back when I was building my weird Katana60 board: ErgoClear (tactile) for alphas and Gateron Yellow (linear) for mods

In the end, I opted for just slightly lighter tactile mods by using Zealios 67g. I vastly prefer this.

Well, to be fair, Linearized navies and navies are technically the same switch, it's just that one is incomplete :P
67g zealio is lighter than Ergo clears? Aren't those 55g?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 12:51:21 »

Well, to be fair, Linearized navies and navies are technically the same switch, it's just that one is incomplete :P
67g zealio is lighter than Ergo clears? Aren't those 55g?

Ah. my ErgoClears have 68g Sprit springs.

Offline leang

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 17:58:27 »

My experience was very similar to nguyenhimself. I hand-wired a 46-key custom board using clicky switches for 45 of those keys and 1 linear switch for my main modifier key (I was short exactly one clicky switch and had a spare linear). In day-to-day usage, every time I hit that modifier key, it feels soft and mushy in direct comparison to the other switches. I should have gone with a clicky with a lighter spring.

Offline 8Bitterness

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 19:45:43 »
Depending on your typing style the inconsistency will be very noticeable and could get annoying if the switches are too different. I'd actually go for linear alphas and tactile on mods I guess. I say you should stick to tactile switches unless you're very sure you either won't regret it or won't mind changing the switches back.