Author Topic: Did Tapatalk turn into subscription service?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Belfong

Did Tapatalk turn into subscription service?
« on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 08:35:17 »
Launched Tapatalk just now and saw a pop up thanking me for purchasing the app years ago but that this VIP status will expire soon and they are going into subscription service. Omg. My life is a subscription!!

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: Did Tapatalk turn into subscription service?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 08:39:06 »
Launched Tapatalk just now and saw a pop up thanking me for purchasing the app years ago but that this VIP status will expire soon and they are going into subscription service. Omg. My life is a subscription!!
I wonder what the non-VIP version is like then  :confused: Tapatalk need all the shekels...
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 08:45:55 »
It will be supported by ad..

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 11:22:45 »
This does make me wonder just how many big forums still exist outside of the Reddit bubble.

I grew up with forums like this, but I do know they are getting rarer and rarer as Reddit and Social Media eat it all up.

I can imagine services like Tapatalk having more trouble as forums fold up, and less ad revenue comes in.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Belfong

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 16:20:15 »
Forums running Discourse software seems to be the one that’s eating Tapatalk pie.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 07:46:14 »
Use rainway on your phone! It allows you to access your virtual desktop!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 19:29:26 »
"Thanks for helping us become the success that we are today, I guess. Now forfeit the new subscription fee or be force-fed targeted ads based on the data we gather from you and sell to the highest bidder.

Sincerely, greedy corporation XYZ."
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2020, 19:34:37 by Maledicted »

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 05:54:43 »
"Thanks for helping us become the success that we are today, I guess. Now forfeit the new subscription fee or be force-fed targeted ads based on the data we gather from you and sell to the highest bidder.

This internet 3.0 stuff hurts me.  :'(

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Belfong

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 06:40:47 »

That's so true. I remember being a great supporter of Tapatalk in its early days, bugging forum admins to install its plugins. Now, it has turn into such a beast.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 06:48:34 »
Tapatalk can't die soon enough.

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 08:54:33 »
Opinions/suggestions on alternatives?

Just started using Tapatalk awhile ago but all these ads are driving me nuts and just today got a “you have to agree to all these tracking sites before you can continue using the app” popup.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 09:08:15 »
I don't know if it would work, or if there are other viable alternatives these days, but I have used an android program called Lucky Patcher in the past to remove ads from the free versions of apps.

I wouldn't know any alternatives. I keep typing on touchscreens, especially tiny ones, to a minimum.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 12:10:50 »
Tapatalk can't die soon enough.

Who even browses internet forums anymore?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 18:57:41 »
Most of the forums I frequent have moved to Discourse. Geekhack is the only one left that’s “old school” and so Tapatalk is still useful here. But surely, Tapatalk influence is diminishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 19:12:13 »
Most of the forums I frequent have moved to Discourse. Geekhack is the only one left that’s “old school” and so Tapatalk is still useful here. But surely, Tapatalk influence is diminishing.

Still wurried they be using our data for nefarious purposes.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 19:23:44 »
Maybe.. but somebody still got to feed the developers, so $1/month is not that unreasonable, but I think they have to be transparent to subscribers on some of these stuff like privacy, features, support etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 19:30:55 »
Maybe.. but somebody still got to feed the developers, so $1/month is not that unreasonable, but I think they have to be transparent to subscribers on some of these stuff like privacy, features, support etc

Transparency is against the very nature of capitalism, which is to capitalize on Secrets/Information that an opponent player does not have.

That isn't to say they can not monetize, but behind the aggregation personal philosophy plays a big role. If the players are hedonic and accepts pleasure as goals, they will go on to create identical monsters in every corporation.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 09:18:17 »
I'm finding it kind of ironic that so many keyboard enthusiasts seem to be concerned with tiny touchscreen integration. I hate using my phone to write much of anything, and literally only use it when I have no other options available and can't wait for them to be made available.

To each their own though, of course.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 09:31:28 »
Doesn't this forum have RSS integration or something? Why are we all stuck using a predatory closed-source application?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 12:27:27 »
Doesn't this forum have RSS integration or something? Why are we all stuck using a predatory closed-source application?

no

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 15:34:45 »
I'm finding it kind of ironic that so many keyboard enthusiasts seem to be concerned with tiny touchscreen integration. I hate using my phone to write much of anything, and literally only use it when I have no other options available and can't wait for them to be made available.

Easier to use while mobile, which is often.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 19:24:56 »

I use Tapatalk mainly for browsing, not so much for typing. It’s very convenient.

Offline growler

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 10:24:50 »
I don't get it, install the mobile theme, turn off tapatalk, job done. Everyone has a workable mobile solution, doesn't have to have a crappy, shady, costly app installed. No plugin in needed on the server for tapatalk, so the forum is more secure. Win-win-win. Well, except for tapatalk, they lose, but thank god - making people pay for a product, then once they have their money turning it into a ****bag app with added subscription costs. They can do one.

This mobile theme was raised 5 years ago on here, it costs 20 dollars, doesn't seem to be any good reason why it hasn't been done.
Don't just stare at it ...

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 10:28:45 »
I never like Tapatalk, worhtless imo.  Now I only frequent a handful of forums (here and Overclock.net).  I just bring the forums up via my mobile browser and have zero issues with it, plus still get full functionality as well.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D