Author Topic: GMK Uniqey keyboards  (Read 1635833 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Re: GMK Uniqey keyboards
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 11:41:10 »
Wow, looks awesome, thanks a lot for sharing

I wonder how stabilisers are applied, some keyboard companies like Leopold somehow apply Cherry stabilisers expertly, while most other companies just deploy keyboards with stiff stabilised keys

It's very interesting that there is no plate too, I might be mistaken, but usually plate is for solidness
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #301 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 11:42:54 »
Only Full Size  :'(

Offline konig

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:01:08 »
I asked Christopher at GMK about the lack of plate, and he said that companies only add a plate to increase rigidity and reduce flex (if you held the board and twisted). due to the use of high end aluminum, this board has no flex, and therefore no need for a plate (also helps reduce noise, pinging etc)

it is solid.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:36:19 »
It does look great. Maybe we'll get reviews from keychatter and others soon.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:55:13 »
I asked Christopher at GMK about the lack of plate, and he said that companies only add a plate to increase rigidity and reduce flex (if you held the board and twisted). due to the use of high end aluminum, this board has no flex, and therefore no need for a plate (also helps reduce noise, pinging etc)

Is this really all there is to plate mounting, though?

I mean, I'm thinking about times when I've cleaned my keyboards, and seen the amount of crud that winds up on the plate, and then I'm imagining all of that winding up on the keyboard's PCB, and I'm combining that with my experience of keyboard problems being caused by even small amounts of dirt or residue on the PCB in just the wrong place, and I just can't help but feel uncomfortable about the whole idea of PCB mount...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 12:59:57 »

I mean, I'm thinking about times when I've cleaned my keyboards, and seen the amount of crud that winds up on the plate, and then I'm imagining all of that winding up on the keyboard's PCB, and I'm combining that with my experience of keyboard problems being caused by even small amounts of dirt or residue on the PCB in just the wrong place, and I just can't help but feel uncomfortable about the whole idea of PCB mount...

For me it's pulling off the switch top while removing keycaps that would dismiss PCB mounts, also possibly added wiggle

But things really change from application to application, we don't know how GMK executed the PCB mounted keyboard yet, they might have done something to address these issues
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 13:28:14 »
With my own "creations" the reason I have a plate is that I'm sure the switch is in the right place, the right depth (harder than you would think!) and that it's not skewed. Some times you don't notice a little skew until you start wondering why the J key won't even depress properly and it turns out lots of switches are skewed and you have to redo lots of work.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:31:13 »

If the PCB is large enough and has few enough standoff mount points, the PCB can also flex.  A plate helps reduce this flex.  That, to me, is one of the biggest benefits. 

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 03:05:43 »
Did anyone review the keyboard yet?

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 03:23:45 »
I got my Uniqey Q100 yesterday. There is absolutely no flex whatsoever and the QMX clips work really well.
Review is under way, expect it by Monday. Not sure I'll be able to open it up, though, as not only the Torx screws are obstacle to that.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #310 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 03:44:25 »
I got my Uniqey Q100 yesterday. There is absolutely no flex whatsoever and the QMX clips work really well.
Review is under way, expect it by Monday. Not sure I'll be able to open it up, though, as not only the Torx screws are obstacle to that.

Fantastic news! Happy for you.

If you don't mind, some requests:
- typing sound (comparing it to another keyboard, with and without o-rings)
- is the cable removable?
- is there a replacement program, if you accidentally break a key?

Thanks

Offline c137

« Reply #311 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 10:51:12 »
I'll have to see whether I can record in a decent quality, but I will try. Subjectively speaking, them QMX clips really dampen the sound well.
The cable is removable, yes. However, the mini-USB plug is at an angle of 90°, so it's a little tricky to pull out.

As for the replacement of single key caps... I will have to inquire at GMK. As soon as I hear from them, I will get back to you.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 11:03:34 »
I'll have to see whether I can record in a decent quality, but I will try. Subjectively speaking, them QMX clips really dampen the sound well.
The cable is removable, yes. However, the mini-USB plug is at an angle of 90°, so it's a little tricky to pull out.

As for the replacement of single key caps... I will have to inquire at GMK. As soon as I hear from them, I will get back to you.

you're so lucky to have an iso de available.... I'll never get the italian layout. ISO uk will necessarily be good enough :-)

Offline c137

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 02:53:23 »
OK, my review of the Uniqey Q100 is online: https://www.mecha-blog.de/review-uniqey-q100-mit-qmx-clips/ (in German)

I also included a little sound comparison (5 quick and 2 slow types each): first the Q100 without clips, then the Q100 with QMX Clips, then a QPad MK-80 with traditional O-rings and finally a CM Novatouch.

is there a replacement program, if you accidentally break a key?
According to Mr Kredler from GMK there is an ongoing discussion at the company, whether you will be able to buy single keys, e.g. if you decide you want the arrow keys in a different colour now than when you ordered your Q100.
However, replacements for broken keys will be available if covered by the product warranty, i.e. if it's not the user's fault etc.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask away.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #314 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 03:04:07 »
OK, my review of the Uniqey Q100 is online: https://www.mecha-blog.de/review-uniqey-q100-mit-qmx-clips/ (in German)

I also included a little sound comparison (5 quick and 2 slow types each): first the Q100 without clips, then the Q100 with QMX Clips, then a QPad MK-80 with traditional O-rings and finally a CM Novatouch.

According to Mr Kredler from GMK there is an ongoing discussion at the company, whether you will be able to buy single keys, e.g. if you decide you want the arrow keys in a different colour now than when you ordered your Q100.
However, replacements for broken keys will be available if covered by the product warranty, i.e. if it's not the user's fault etc.

I have to say, sound-wise, the review didn't do much for me, separate recording would have been nice

However, your keyboard looks great, especially those arrows ...

And thanks a lot for the review, it was nice getting a close look, I wish they end up selling as many keycaps as they can, I don't think it would disrupt the keycap market dynamics, just ease things a bit, allow mashups, provide alternative alphas

Offline c137

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 03:11:38 »
I have to say, sound-wise, the review didn't do much for me, separate recording would have been nice

Alas, for an actually good recording I am not properly equipped, sorry.
That's why I put different keyboards into the same recording, so you can have a reference point.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 03:13:18 by c137 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #316 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 03:38:54 »

Thank you very much for your nice review.

Some notes:

What is the approximate thickness of the case?

Can you add something to this? "incidentally, during the year GMK still want to present another keyboard.  Experimenting "with different sizes and form factors," says this of the company."

We shoud ask gmk to sell the clips should also be separately sold as an accessory.

I agree on: Good to feel, however, the tactile markings on F and J, so the way it should be.

Please fix the review, replace 1.5 with 1.25! "The bottom row is a standard bottom-Row with 1.5 U -Modifiern."

I really hope that all the clients of a keyboard will be given the right to buy replacement keycaps, also if it is a mistake of the client, who can accidentally damage a keycap. This adds much value to the keyboard and to the keyset and makes the $300 purchase much more reasonable, because you can buy replacements in the future, so your keyset and keyboard don't lose value with a small accident or damage.

"According to Mr Kredler from GMK there is an ongoing discussion at the company, whether you will be able to buy single keys, e.g. if you decide you want the arrow keys in a different colour now than when you ordered your Q100.
However, replacements for broken keys will be available if covered by the product warranty, i.e. if it's not the user's fault etc."

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 03:41:39 by Giorgio »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 03:43:57 »
It seems to me that uniqey clips can silence the bigger keys with more efficiency than the moddded topre?

I've got uniqey clips and I love them!!! I can't type anymore on other keyboards.

Offline c137

« Reply #318 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:04:53 »
What is the approximate thickness of the case?
As in, how thick is the aluminium material? Depends on where you measure, 1.5 to 2mm.
The silver sides should give an impression.

Can you add something to this? "incidentally, during the year GMK still want to present another keyboard.  Experimenting "with different sizes and form factors," says this of the company."
I unfortunately had to formulate it this vaguely. That's the official statement: they are looking into other form factors like 60 or 80% and will present another Uniqey keyboard this year.
Mecha-Blog will report on the details as soon as I get any.

We shoud ask gmk to sell the clips should also be separately sold as an accessory.
They will sell the QMX clips separately on Uniqey.net, ETA 2 weeks.

Please fix the review, replace 1.5 with 1.25! "The bottom row is a standard bottom-Row with 1.5 U -Modifiern."
Argh, typo. Thanks!

It seems to me that uniqey clips can silence the bigger keys with more efficiency than the moddded topre?

My Novatouch in the recording from the Uniqey article isn't modded, the one from Tyrosh22's article is his. But based on the sound files I tend to agree.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:07:42 by c137 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #319 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:19:43 »
I hope that they will sell a g80-1800 format. Can't go wrong with that....

Fantastic news for the clips being sold very soon ;-)

Thanks for your very good review.

Layouts that I'd like
Light Saver keyboard

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #320 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:27:22 »
what is that multitool?????

Does it help with removing the clips?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:38:19 »
I have a kit, and love them. The problem is that they don't work with Zealios and SA-caps at the same time. With Zealios and DSA they work, and with Cherry and SA they work, but JUST the combination I like the best... Typical!

Offline c137

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:43:10 »
what is that multitool?????
The "Multitool" is this one, where they also store the replacement feet: https://www.mecha-blog.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/c137_Uniqey-Q100_multitool.jpg
It is for removing the feet and the USB cable. However, you don't really need it for any of these operations.

Does it help with removing the clips?
Unfortunately, no. The tool for that only comes with the seperately sold QMX clips.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 05:07:29 »
I have a kit, and love them. The problem is that they don't work with Zealios and SA-caps at the same time. With Zealios and DSA they work, and with Cherry and SA they work, but JUST the combination I like the best... Typical!

maybe some orings will make the inside of the key impact the top of the clip, thus preventing the sides from touching the clip?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 06:59:31 »

maybe some orings will make the inside of the key impact the top of the clip, thus preventing the sides from touching the clip?
I'll have to remember to try that... I only have one plateless zealio board, and it's away on vacation right now.

Offline saxophone

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:37:02 »
Huh, it'S GMK and all but is this really considered that priceworthy? $200+ for a keyboard is quite a lot, even with bluetooth considering how it simply uses regular cherry mx.
They skipped the plate simply because the aluminium shell makes it rigid enough, but that makes the keys themselves more fragile to monkey business as PCB will be taking all the impact rather than the plate shouldering most of it. The plate also had the secondary function of at least offering some protection against liquid spills. It's really one of the reason I like those raised key designs, the top is pretty much spill proof if you sticker the switches.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:46:19 »
Huh, it'S GMK and all but is this really considered that priceworthy? $200+ for a keyboard is quite a lot, even with bluetooth considering how it simply uses regular cherry mx.
They skipped the plate simply because the aluminium shell makes it rigid enough, but that makes the keys themselves more fragile to monkey business as PCB will be taking all the impact rather than the plate shouldering most of it. The plate also had the secondary function of at least offering some protection against liquid spills. It's really one of the reason I like those raised key designs, the top is pretty much spill proof if you sticker the switches.

Honestly if someone is spending $200+ on a keyboard and they are irresponsible enough to spill something on it that isn't the keyboards fault and they probably should look elsewhere for a keyboard. :P

Maybe this would be more suited to those who need a spill proof board https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Spillproof-Portable-Silicone/dp/B009964UK2

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:49:22 »

add 80 bucks (the price of the keyset) to a filco keyboard, you obtain $260.

Offline c137

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 09:06:32 »
They skipped the plate simply because the aluminium shell makes it rigid enough
The case absolutely makes the Q100 very rigid. I have seen several keyboards with a metal plate that offered less rigidity overall and even more flex.

Also, you have to consider that the QMX clips can only, well, clip to the MX modules without the plate in the way.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #329 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 18:55:43 »

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #330 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:49:27 »
Show Image

Not cheap, but fascinating  :)

Edit:
Can you show stabilizers? Are they different from Cherry's?
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2016, 22:23:43 by luckyryan333 »
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:34:15 »
Nice keyboard, but the keycaps definitely add scores to it. Can the keycaps be purchaed seperatlly?
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 23:07:06 »
Nice keyboard, but the keycaps definitely add scores to it. Can the keycaps be purchaed seperatlly?

Currently not possible  :(
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #333 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 03:39:09 »
Oh, that is LOVELY!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #334 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 04:29:59 »
Why don't they sell uk iso? Can't wait....

:mad:

Offline c137

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 02:14:24 »
Mecha-Blog and GMK have 5 QMX-Clip-Sets (each for a fullsize keyboard) to give away: https://www.mecha-blog.de/verlosung-uniqey-qmx-clips-mitmachen/

Offline Flowshi

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 12:19:39 »
I'm using this thread instead of creating a new one.

Having my Uniqey for about a week now, and just love it. It is solid, heavy, no flex, no wriggling, keys sit very tight and the caps are beautiful (my first GMK caps) it's just wow!

Got the fullblack version with black/darkgrey caps, white legends, esc is blue, clear MX switches and qmx clips. Using it at work where a type around 20.000 keystrokes a day. It's very minimalistic, my co-workers didn't even realized my new board. I was unsure about those clear switches, never typed on them before, just used them on a tester, and they became my preferred switches now. I asked GMK to send me an additional Q-logo keycap and the QMX tool, and they did.

The price with 320,00€ is pretty hefty but it's hard to get a good board with german layout, the ones you get a are pretty expensive (Filco at the official reseller is 250€, Code is 230€), and if you add the GMK caps you end up at 300+ anyway.

Things to improve:
-USB cable is a bit weird. it's 90° angled and you can't use custom cables (cable itself is solid and long enough)
-usb 2
-no real usb hub
-no stop media key (just a pause button)
-can't change the LED colours the way I want to (probably a bug in the firmeware, gonna contact GMK with this issue)

I'll add some pictures, sorry for the bad quality.
164157-0164159-1164161-2 [ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 12:22:16 by Flowshi »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 12:24:02 »

Having my Uniqey for about a week now, and just love it. It is solid, heavy, no flex, no wriggling, keys sit very tight and the caps are beautiful (my first GMK caps) it's just wow!

Got the fullblack version with black/darkgrey caps, white legends, esc is blue, clear MX switches and qmx clips. Using it at work where a type around 20.000 keystrokes a day. It's very minimalistic, my co-workers didn't even realized my new board. I was unsure about those clear switches, never typed on them before, just used them on a tester, and they became my preferred switches now. I asked GMK to send me an additional Q-logo keycap and the QMX tool, and they did.

The price with 320,00€ is pretty hefty but it's hard to get a good board with german layout, the ones you get a are pretty expensive (Filco at the official reseller is 250€, Code is 230€), and if you add the GMK caps you end up at 300+ anyway.

Things to improve:
-USB cable is a bit weird. it's 90° angled and you can't use custom cables (cable itself is solid and long enough)
-usb 2
-no real usb hub
-can't change the LED colours the way I want to (probably a bug in the firmeware, gonna contact GMK with this issue)

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Definetely a nice keyboard, but a completely wrong marketing scheme. It would have sold 10 times more if it was a very basic keyboard with a complete 155 keycaps set included.

Offline Flowshi

« Reply #338 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 12:35:12 »
You're probably right. But that's "typisch deutsch" making stuff more complicated than it should be  ;D

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:31:29 »

Things to improve:
-usb 2
-no real usb hub

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Iroshizuku => Approval Nod

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 02:36:30 »
And the fact that the usb cable is non repleaceable... simply crazy. Due to space constraints one could need an angled cable, or a very short one. Do they even know that users exist, or do they design these keyboards for their own enjoyment? A little bit of sadism maybe.

Offline fxsound

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 04:28:37 »
I also bought a keyboard, and there's a problem with changing the color of the  LEDs.

does not change (does not persist) color led of 5. It remains always white.
I change it to any other (as indicated in the  expert features), but after exiting the setting mode it is still white. Even the combination <Fn> + <F5> changes only the first 3 LEDs. does not change   LED 4.

AND regardless of whether you change each individually the 1,2,3 LED. color for all 3 LED is selected the one that you chose for the first LED.

As I understand, this problem has been known for a long time, but will long time something  not fix
-
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 December 2017, 04:32:00 by fxsound »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #342 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 17:15:42 »
I also bought a keyboard, and there's a problem with changing the color of the  LEDs.

does not change (does not persist) color led of 5. It remains always white.
I change it to any other (as indicated in the  expert features), but after exiting the setting mode it is still white. Even the combination <Fn> + <F5> changes only the first 3 LEDs. does not change   LED 4.

AND regardless of whether you change each individually the 1,2,3 LED. color for all 3 LED is selected the one that you chose for the first LED.

As I understand, this problem has been known for a long time, but will long time something  not fix
-

I don't understand why the first iteration of their keyboard line needed to be so complicated. Filco on the other hand is famous for their quality, without having Bluetooth, LEDs, programmability etc.

Offline fxsound

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 04:38:05 »
But nevertheless they got a first-class product. The circuit board is the best I've seen. I do not know how many layers there are, but it's thick and very solid, there are no deflections when pressing the keys at all. Treatment of the outer shell of aluminum and painting is excellent. Possibility of negative tilt with different height. And very quiet with their clips. On the cherry MX there is nowhere "Filco ping".

But the photos are not visible, but if you see it live, you can immediately see the thing with a capital letter.

There are several things that I would like to change and improve:

L-shaped USB cable change to standard.

Feet increase for better traction.

Well..., it's better to lubricate stabilizers.

Offline Flowshi

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 12:03:37 »
Support ticket according the LED has been sent out to GMK/Uniqey ... since they did not answer to my post on their communitypage.

Hope that helps to get their asses moving.

Offline fxsound

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 08:43:21 »
https://www.massdrop.com/talk/2889/designing-the-gmk-uniqey-c-70-custom-keyboard-a-true-community-custom

TKL and Soft Uniqte Control

I'm very happy to see the gmk involvement in the mechanical keyboard world, but sincerely I don't think that I will buy this one: I will wait for a 75% standard version, if it will ever be available, or for a 100% keyboard in iso uk layout. I appreciate particularly the fact that there is a new software which will allow to customize each keypress, this is really fantastic.

What I don't like about the new keyboard:
- completely incompatible with existing keysets because it has a non standard bottom row, and because pgup, pgdown etc belong to a different row
- it's only 20mm smaller that a tkl with standard keycaps. To save 20mm you lose compatibility with all existing keysets.
- it has a 6u spacebar (centered stem or offset stem?) which is really a rare sigthing
- incompatible with all the existing cases in the market
- you can't use the keycaps bundled with the keyboard on any other keyboard, and this is really a shame

Personally I'd like more if they could sell a 75% keyboard with standard keycaps; with each keyboard they could also bundle extra keys to cover a 100% standard layout: you add about 20 keys, with an increase of the price of less than 10 usd, but with an enormous benefit to the user.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 10:54:28 by Giorgio »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 02:32:35 »
When I try it, it says UPS! EIN FEHLER IST AUFGETRETEN! (OOPS! AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED!)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fxsound

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 05:24:35 »
When I try it, it says UPS! EIN FEHLER IST AUFGETRETEN! (OOPS! AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED!)

It's not entirely clear what you're talking about...

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 08:25:28 »

keine Gegenstände aus dem Fenster werfen!