Author Topic: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!  (Read 151942 times)

Offline Mattr567

Re: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 22:10:08 »

I have damaged my V60 MTS PCB beyond repair.

Old pic but since more wiring has been added to keep it going. RIP through holes. Im not bad at soldering by any means but the ****ing non lead base solder doesnt melt for **** so I ended up ripping out a TON of through holes. Didnt realize until it was too late.
Show Image

Wiring saved it expect for the Win keys. Before I add resistors for the LEDs I am going to get a replacement straight from KBP.

Secondly I accidentally melted my SGI Granite case a bit with a solder iron. ;( Sanded it down and it isnt that bad but sucks nonetheless.

Show Image

Ah man I cracked a model f at case no worries

I know the SGI isn't that bad, if I melted a keycap then I would have been really pissed.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #351 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 23:18:23 »
Ahh yeah, ouch. Even with a filler for that melted gouge, the SGI granite case is so uniquely speckled and such that it would be hard to make it blend in. One on of my boards, I used a piece of beige/off-white plastic from a scrapped keyboard to fill in the gap using plastic welding with a flat tip on my soldering iron. Worked really well and you can't even tell it was there, thought it was on the bottom lip (but did cut into the side of the case and could be seen).

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #352 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 00:16:04 »
Ahh yeah, ouch. Even with a filler for that melted gouge, the SGI granite case is so uniquely speckled and such that it would be hard to make it blend in. One on of my boards, I used a piece of beige/off-white plastic from a scrapped keyboard to fill in the gap using plastic welding with a flat tip on my soldering iron. Worked really well and you can't even tell it was there, thought it was on the bottom lip (but did cut into the side of the case and could be seen).

Yea, there's no way to fill it, it would honestly look worse. The spot isn't that big, it was only there for a sec until I yanked it off. Originally it looked a lot worse since there was some melted plastic bits and residue around the mark. Cleaned it up with a file as you can see in the picture. Now its nice and smooth. it almost looks like something was dropped on it.

Still kinda sad considering the great condition of it, only a bit of rust on the plate and a bad Numpad + key, otherwise it was brand new!

The tip of the iron got really close to the Alt keycap, thank god I didn't melt that. :confused:

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the filing revealed the original color of the plastic, it took off the very top coat where it yellowed. Looks great...
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 March 2016, 00:17:49 by Mattr567 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 14:51:47 »

Old pic but since more wiring has been added to keep it going. RIP through holes. Im not bad at soldering by any means but the ****ing non lead base solder doesnt melt for **** so I ended up ripping out a TON of through holes. Didnt realize until it was too late.
Show Image

Wiring saved it expect for the Win keys. Before I add resistors for the LEDs I am going to get a replacement straight from KBP.

Secondly I accidentally melted my SGI Granite case a bit with a solder iron. ;( Sanded it down and it isnt that bad but sucks nonetheless.

Show Image

Holy **** that PCB is a massacre
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline axtran

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 14:54:36 »
I've discovered that adding a TON of solder as you try to desolder non-leaded is the only way to go. And with the amount of labor that it takes, you might as well just go buy another PCB...
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline E3E

« Reply #355 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:26:23 »
Yea, there's no way to fill it, it would honestly look worse. The spot isn't that big, it was only there for a sec until I yanked it off. Originally it looked a lot worse since there was some melted plastic bits and residue around the mark. Cleaned it up with a file as you can see in the picture. Now its nice and smooth. it almost looks like something was dropped on it.

Still kinda sad considering the great condition of it, only a bit of rust on the plate and a bad Numpad + key, otherwise it was brand new!

The tip of the iron got really close to the Alt keycap, thank god I didn't melt that. :confused:

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the filing revealed the original color of the plastic, it took off the very top coat where it yellowed. Looks great...

I actually have grey ABS plastic. If you mixed it with a bit of that speckled stuff they put in their own mix, it might work, but nah. I mean, at least it's just the top case, so you can always replace it with one from another SGI. Keep a look out for anyone throwing their SGIs away after scrapping them or something. :) See, if it were the bottom case, then it'd be tricky, at least if you want to keep all the serial number information and such true to the board.

Oh man, good thing you didn't singe or melt the cap, that would've been so bad. If it were me, I'd probably want to flip a table at that point. A lot of things have driven me close to the breaking point in this hobby before; by that, I mean customization or assembly projects. Like, my Octagon was a nightmare, some paint jobs I've done had very close calls toward complete screw ups (my Infinity was a nightmare there), and my Hammer Alps Duck Eagle project got to that point a few times.

I never threw in the towel though, haha.

At least your SGI still functions though! Again, just keep an eye out for anyone who might have spare parts. :)

Oh, have you not retrobrighted the plastic yet? Yeah, it doesn't look bad TBH. Sometimes battle scars are nice to have. :D

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #356 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 21:24:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

Holy **** that PCB is a massacre

A working massacre! :)) Who needs Windows keys am I right? /s

I would of gotten everything working but points to connect the bottom row are on a different layer  :'(

I actually have grey ABS plastic. If you mixed it with a bit of that speckled stuff they put in their own mix, it might work, but nah. I mean, at least it's just the top case, so you can always replace it with one from another SGI. Keep a look out for anyone throwing their SGIs away after scrapping them or something. :) See, if it were the bottom case, then it'd be tricky, at least if you want to keep all the serial number information and such true to the board.

Oh man, good thing you didn't singe or melt the cap, that would've been so bad. If it were me, I'd probably want to flip a table at that point. A lot of things have driven me close to the breaking point in this hobby before; by that, I mean customization or assembly projects. Like, my Octagon was a nightmare, some paint jobs I've done had very close calls toward complete screw ups (my Infinity was a nightmare there), and my Hammer Alps Duck Eagle project got to that point a few times.

I never threw in the towel though, haha.

At least your SGI still functions though! Again, just keep an eye out for anyone who might have spare parts. :)

Oh, have you not retrobrighted the plastic yet? Yeah, it doesn't look bad TBH. Sometimes battle scars are nice to have. :D

That picture hides the yellow. Honestly i'm not going to replace it/fix it, irl its not terrible. Literally no one scraps SGI's anyway. One guy made a 60% but otherwise the keycaps are borrowed for another board, the Granite itself is never touched. Collectors value its uniqueness or some ****

A melted keycap though (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Here is what it is supposed to look like, nice and blue. It will be a couple months until I retrobright it since right now its been dark and rainy here in sunny side California! When the sun is out its rather weak.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 21:26:29 »
A ripster picture? This truly is a keyboard confession  :))

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #358 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 21:29:03 »
I want an orange led backlit realforce keyboard.  :-X I need it to match my Halloween themed board

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #359 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 21:29:47 »
I want an orange led backlit realforce keyboard.  :-X I need it to match my Halloween themed board

Is backlighting a confession?

I want a backlit HHKB. Blue blacklighting would make this my favorite keyboard ever.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 21:32:48 »

Is backlighting a confession?

I want a backlit HHKB. Blue blacklighting would make this my favorite keyboard ever.

I guess leds and topre should never go together. Topre has to keep its "professional" look.  :-[

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 04:30:45 »
My Focus FK-2001 was in perfect condition, but after failed switch maintence I have to replace the entire keypad side with Matias and take the healthy switches to keep the consistency on the number keys above the alphabetical keys.

Also, the bottom clamps broke, so the top shell flops around.

I hate looking at it, so much guilt.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 04:50:59 »
I melted the legs off a switch then ripped it out with pliers... PCB still works.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 05:03:32 »
im thinking of using a dremel to cut off some diodes from a pcb, because cba to desolder diodes!

Offline E3E

« Reply #364 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:52:49 »
im thinking of using a dremel to cut off some diodes from a pcb, because cba to desolder diodes!

Like Cherry's in-switch diodes, so grinding down the contacts? That doesn't sound like a good idea, but if you can make it out unscathed, go for it. :P

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:57:57 »
I melted the legs off a switch then ripped it out with pliers... PCB still works.

^-^ good times I remember doing this too

I put clear tops on all my switches  :-X

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 13:33:00 »
Confession #1
I judged MX browns without giving them a fair chance at first and jumped on the "They feel like Reds with crap stuck under them" Band wagon.  With some extended use however they became my favorite Cherry switch both for feel and typing speed.

Confession #2
The first time i had ever dealt with Costar stabilizers i yanked on one with tweezers by the end the wire inserts to and cracked it.  I was too lazy to order a replacement part so that keyboard sat unused for 3+ months until i did.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 23:27:04 »
I got so honked off with having extra unneeded buttons on my brand spanking new Ducky Shine 4, that I decided to desolder them and cover with blanks.
One of the "windows" keys ended up pulling the through-hole out with it. The anchor leg used some tough to melt solder. No loss for me!

It at least looks reasonably close to a proper keyboard now. Might get a thin sheet of black plastic laser-cut to cover the whole top of the keyboard and blank off those damned switches good'n'proper.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 17:01:05 »
After I built my first board, I thought I was the soldering king and came up with the idea to mod a Data911 to convert PS2 to USB, put all the wiring and the adapter inside the case, and put a female USB port in the case. I failed miserably and made this monstrosity. It never did work, and I fried the board. I ended up declaring defeat and buying a USB based Data911 when I saw one.

The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 17:02:45 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:47:58 by alienman82 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 17:07:25 »
My junky Adesso keyboard had a broken foot so I made a hot glue gun replacement

The mold was a combination of a mouse bungie ball bearing and a giant metal washer..

It works!  :))

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #371 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:51:01 »
using cherry/gmk/other MX keycaps on topre keyboards saddens me

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #372 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 12:47:24 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:47:44 by alienman82 »

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 21:25:32 »
i bought a ps2 to usb converter for my M and lost it in less than a week and i haven't used it since then

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #374 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 01:06:48 »
i bought a ps2 to usb converter for my M and lost it in less than a week and i haven't used it since then
Ouch ! How long has it been ?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #375 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 01:10:49 »

how do you lose a model m?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline loomin

• I don't know much
« Reply #376 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 01:41:49 »
I can only type 50 WPM... on a good day...
normally I average around 30-40...
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2016, 01:46:55 by loomin »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #377 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 01:47:32 »
I can only type 50 WPM... on a good day...
normally I average around 30-40...

word on the street is this keyboard instantly gives you a 30wpm speed bump

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #378 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 02:10:04 »

i meant the converter mate :^(

about 2-3months?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #379 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 02:12:46 »

about 2-3months?

i know im just messing with you :P

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #380 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 03:11:06 »

about 2-3months?

i know im just messing with you :P

****post master demik strikes again

Offline E3E

« Reply #381 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:57:57 »
I sometimes wear latex gloves while playing around with some of my mint vintage boards that have absolutely no shine... Because reasons. :P

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #382 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:12:51 »
I don't think I used the mx5000 in the last 6months.
The ssk have seen like 3hours of total action.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline quantrix

« Reply #383 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:40:31 »
In college, many moons ago before the recent mech resurgence, I destroyed my Dell membrane keyboard during a night of drinking.

I remember spilling liquid on it that night, frying the pcb and rendering it useless.  There were some other issues that were wrong with it (don't remember what) and in my inebriated logic I needed to break it.  So I slammed it on my knee, to the surprise of all my friends (even muttered "I'm going to break my keyboard" but apparently no one heard me), and black membrane nipples exploded all over the dorm room.  It was glorious! Later, we used them as a prank on my roommate by putting them between his sheets--my only regret for that night.

Fireworks: best use of membrane rubber ever!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #384 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 22:10:09 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:39:31 by alienman82 »

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:36:13 »
i hate stormtrooper hhkb's

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:43:38 »
I furiously wash my hands before using my keyboard. I always have travel hand sanitizer next to my board. Sometimes my hands are really dry because of the sanitizing but it's worth if because of them boards.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #387 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 06:33:07 »
I furiously wash my hands before using my keyboard. I always have travel hand sanitizer next to my board. Sometimes my hands are really dry because of the sanitizing but it's worth if because of them boards.

I don't.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:32:04 »

I don't.

You don't care about grease or oil building up on your caps?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 16:08:46 »

I don't.

Even when I use cheap-o-matic rubber dome boards I'm constantly cleaning the caps. About once a month I'll remove some caps to clear out underneath the problems areas. I'll use filtered water for the top of the caps, sometimes I'll just a disinfectant wipe.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #390 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 17:06:51 »

That picture hides the yellow. Honestly i'm not going to replace it/fix it, irl its not terrible. Literally no one scraps SGI's anyway. One guy made a 60% but otherwise the keycaps are borrowed for another board, the Granite itself is never touched. Collectors value its uniqueness or some ****

Here is what it is supposed to look like, nice and blue. It will be a couple months until I retrobright it since right now its been dark and rainy here in sunny side California! When the sun is out its rather weak.
Show Image

I did mine is Sunny Texas (SGI Granite - identical) just a few month ago once it was nice and sunny outside. Took a couple of days in the Texas sun with some Clairol Creme Developer (stronger than Retrobrite and $5/bottle).

Admittedly I just did the top case since it was just aweful and the back was not bad. I did end up with a tony bit of streaking which went away in a couple weeks after which has not happened on anything else I have retro'd. the keycaps on these are the best alps caps out there I am sure (yes even above the AEKII) and I just love the slant on the font. BY FAR (IMO) the nicest looking and performing BigFoot (even heavier than the Dell 101w) and somehow though they have the same damped switches as the later AEKII's they are so much more crisp (yes, I have multiples of each... don't judge me!).

Confession: I hate anything above a 75% keyboard after a while..... I am a programmer and I feel like I am wasting so much of my hand movements to type on a big keyboard for day-to-day work use.

Other Confession: ABS is a bad plastic for keycaps. It wears far too quickly. I wish we could find a way to coat ABS keycaps to prevent the shine-a thon that destroys grip and texture. Cherry caps that haven't been used feel great... for about 3-4 months.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #391 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:31:58 »

Show Image

I did mine is Sunny Texas (SGI Granite - identical) just a few month ago once it was nice and sunny outside. Took a couple of days in the Texas sun with some Clairol Creme Developer (stronger than Retrobrite and $5/bottle).

Admittedly I just did the top case since it was just aweful and the back was not bad. I did end up with a tony bit of streaking which went away in a couple weeks after which has not happened on anything else I have retro'd. the keycaps on these are the best alps caps out there I am sure (yes even above the AEKII) and I just love the slant on the font. BY FAR (IMO) the nicest looking and performing BigFoot (even heavier than the Dell 101w) and somehow though they have the same damped switches as the later AEKII's they are so much more crisp (yes, I have multiples of each... don't judge me!).

Confession: I hate anything above a 75% keyboard after a while..... I am a programmer and I feel like I am wasting so much of my hand movements to type on a big keyboard for day-to-day work use.

Other Confession: ABS is a bad plastic for keycaps. It wears far too quickly. I wish we could find a way to coat ABS keycaps to prevent the shine-a thon that destroys grip and texture. Cherry caps that haven't been used feel great... for about 3-4 months.

You should do all of the case, it look a lot better. Since swapped my SGI With SKCM Oranges. Also use the cream btw.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #392 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:34:42 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:23:13 by alienman82 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:36:18 »
I don't even like most of my keyboards or keycaps.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #394 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:38:48 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:23:11 by alienman82 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:17:14 »
I don't even like most of my keyboards or keycaps.

do you like the leeku 3000? :/
It's a really nice PCB and is super easy to program but I won't ever use it. :eek:

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #396 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 02:36:34 »

I don't.

More worried about damage from hand-sanitizer residue TBH.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #397 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 03:01:27 »
Pad print + alcohol = blank legends. Confirmed :-[

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #398 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 05:00:07 »
Pad print + alcohol = blank legends. Confirmed :-[

i now know what to do with all pad prints

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #399 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 08:13:42 »
Hated the RF87U 55g when I first tried it...it was lightly used but them feels were just off, no thock just a rattly, grumpy board...

Yesterday I've dissasembled it completely, washed her interrior and all the caps, lubed the slider rails and stabs...hot damn, now we're talking.
Can't believe the difference now, it's snappy, it's fast, it's smooth, a really complete board. No squeeking, no rattling no nothing, I'll keep it and I'll go full retard with her :D