Author Topic: B.R.O. Story discussion  (Read 28597 times)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Re: B.R.O. Story discussion
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 10:56:40 »
Hey Bro.  ;D

I don't want to seem insulting because I don't mean to be, but you might want to touch up on your English skills a bit, or maybe find a skilled editor? It's fine for the most part, but grammar issues throw the reader out of the story.

"We have made major advancements in the exploration of space. Sending probes to the farthest reaches of our galaxy." Bolded part is a sentence fragment, it has no subject. It would be better to turn it into a compound or complex sentence.

Something like "We have made major advancements in the realm of space exploration, and we now have the capability to send probes to the farthest reaches of our galaxy." would flow better.

"We scrambled to meet the threat head-on, but our first line of defense, Guardian Battalion, was obliterated. Their armor ripped to shreds by the invading forces weaponry." This just seems awkward to me, not sure why. A full stop doesn't feel right, so I think it would read better as a compound or complex sentence.

When I have more time, I can look over it some more if you'd like, and tell you if anything else stands out to me.

Gotta say, I love what you're doing Bro, and I think this is an excellent idea. I'm excited to read the next issue!

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline dohbot

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 21:09:09 »
What rank will bronads be?
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:49:28 »

Cannonballs.

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline pr0ximity

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pr0ximity

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:11:33 »

They would be Privates.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:19:17 »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:43:35 »

They would be Privates.

From the family Parts.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 20:38:28 »
Updated with Part II in the OP. Would like to hear your feedback :)

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 20:46:43 »

I must admit, the story holds my attention and the cliff hanger endings are good.

I must know, in Part I there is first person speech but in Part 2 there isn't. It's said the forces in LA were decimated. Is our nameless hero/heroine dead??

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 20:48:44 »
Loving the new storyline and the caps are amazing, war-torn is a great theme and I'm glad you delved into it!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 21:12:06 »

I must admit, the story holds my attention and the cliff hanger endings are good.

I must know, in Part I there is first person speech but in Part 2 there isn't. It's said the forces in LA were decimated. Is our nameless hero/heroine dead??

So the nameless hero is actually a part of the Reaper Squadron, and part II is an accounting of the situation from outside of the group. I am still working
out a way to re-write part one that makes more sense in that regard. :)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 21:12:16 »
Loving the new storyline and the caps are amazing, war-torn is a great theme and I'm glad you delved into it!

Thank you! :)

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 22:39:21 »

So the nameless hero is actually a part of the Reaper Squadron, and part II is an accounting of the situation from outside of the group. I am still working
out a way to re-write part one that makes more sense in that regard. :)

Ah! I actually thought that could be the case, I don't think it's far off from being easy to place into context. It should be acknowledged, the level of difficulty associated with telling a story via keycaps and words, especially with the degree of detail you are providing. I think you're doing a great job.  :thumb:

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 22:45:09 »
Love the new installment of the B.R.O. story! I always enjoy your work, regardless of the medium  :thumb:

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 22:52:45 »
Love the new installment of the B.R.O. story! I always enjoy your work, regardless of the medium  :thumb:

Ah! I actually thought that could be the case, I don't think it's far off from being easy to place into context. It should be acknowledged, the level of difficulty associated with telling a story via keycaps and words, especially with the degree of detail you are providing. I think you're doing a great job.  :thumb:

Thanks guys, appreciate it :)

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 01:06:14 »
Just wondering.. What does B.R.O. stands for?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 02:46:31 »
Just wondering.. What does B.R.O. stands for?
It's written in Issue #1 - Battle Response Offensive.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 20:53:13 »
Great wording - really get a sense of despair and devastation from the story :)

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 21:18:20 »
So the nameless hero is actually a part of the Reaper Squadron, and part II is an accounting of the situation from outside of the group. I am still working out a way to re-write part one that makes more sense in that regard. :)

A few thoughts on Part I.  It seems split and could have better cohesion.  I think you need to set the stage with a better narrative initially and then zoom in on the B.R.O. force.

The year is 2141.
-Go into straight narrative, talk about humanity, the state of earth, the invasion.  Avoid pronouns (We, I, me) in this part and avoid words like our too.  Say things like "Earth has been at peace for over a century." and "Humanity's search for intelligent life has been unfruitful, even with our bounding leaps in technology, extending our ability to scan planets in neighboring galaxies."

This will paint a strong picture that earth and humanity are together and one entity, a focal point of the story.  It sets the stage for Earth vs. The Invaders.

Los Angeles Outskirts - 1400 hours
-Make this like a diary entry/confession of the Reaper Squadron soldier.  For the first sentence, I'd suggest you to use this paragraph, "In my 22 years of military service, I never thought there would come a day when I would be helpless to protect the people of this planet. For now, there is no time to reflect on the matter. We must try to re-establish communications with the remaining coalition forces."  Then build on that with heavy pronoun use--I (the soldier), we, us, our (humans, B.R.O., the government)--as the hero tells his story and where he is at now.  This will make zoom in on the front lines of the conflict of the Humans vs. Invaders that was painted in the starting narrative.

Part II: It seems like you're going for straight narrative here again which works as you're building suspense by teasing that Reaper agents are out there.  This being the case, you need to decide if you're telling the story from a human's point of view, or just narrating it.  If you're not telling if from a human's point of view, I'd edit the "Our own defenses turned against us" into "Humanity's defenses turned against them".  Go through and replace the "our"s and "us"es with nouns and see how it changes the feel of the story.

tl;dr - I think if you did some organizational tweaking to Part I it would set the stage better.  Part II is very solid, I'd change over the pronouns and tell the story from a non-human POV for maximum impact.

Looking forward to Part III, I hope there is more enemy stuff.  The drone has a heavy H.R. Giger feel, so choice.

"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 04:09:19 »
Bumping this because I wanted to announce that a friend has stepped up to take over the writing on the storyline. That fine lad would be merutz - definitely creative and thoughtful, and couldn't have find a better pick.

I also wanted to post a little teaser.... just a little one...

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 04:13:16 »
Bumping this because I wanted to announce that a friend has stepped up to take over the writing on the storyline. That fine lad would be merutz - definitely creative and thoughtful, and couldn't have find a better pick.

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

:')
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 04:43:58 »
That little teaser just gave me big excitement! <3

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 07:20:17 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

So sharp and clean. Nice, Bro.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 08:04:35 »
You come back with the best stuff ^-^
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline bubs

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 10:23:08 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

What a great looking cap

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 10:40:41 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

Digging the new design Bro!

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 10:48:32 »
Incredibly clean design!

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 13:22:00 »
More

I dig it. Looking forward to the new story!

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 13:38:17 »
I'm sure merutz story telling will be awesome, and I'm glad you decided to partner together!

Really looking forward to what's next. :)
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 14:34:15 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

Looks very cool.

This doesn't mean that the V2.5 is being retired does it?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 14:42:26 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

Looks very cool.

No sir. V2.5 will be here to stay. :)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 14:46:33 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

Looks very cool.

No sir. V2.5 will be here to stay. :)
Okay cool
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 14:50:11 »
ill take 1. just one though
I love Elzy

Offline xZ3ROx

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 17:10:59 »
Oh hot dang!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zimo

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 18:00:10 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

I just wondered if I had the chance to get it ;)

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 23:13:29 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

Awesome stuff bro!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 23:21:51 »

Excited to see how it turns out, cliffhangers are everywhere. The caps certainly add a visual aspect to the story, but I wonder with how many talented artists there are on GH if it's possible at some point to get some kind of additional graphic element to the story.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 11:45:14 »
nice merutz!! n bro

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 05:47:53 »
i wanna take 1. in 2017 Y
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 15:38:14 »
My mind cant help thinking ahead, but dat V3 with purple eyes on Decepticon set (assuming it comes out) would be so nice.

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline doriswawu

• New to artisan world :)
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 10:43:07 »

Vindicator Unit (V3):

Show Image

this looks pretty good!! that shape is in a verry right angle!