Author Topic: What DPI/Sensitivity have you guys been using lately?  (Read 35102 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: What DPI/Sensitivity have you guys been using lately?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 13:00:25 »
The number (DPI) alone means nothing.

(…) Meanwhile, my larger trackball (Kensington Slimblade) is stuck at 400 dpi, but I use software acceleration to cross the screen with a single flick.

Your slimblade must be broken, cause both of mine is most definitely 800cpi. But that is also quite disappointing, since the sensors can do 2000. I have an urge every now and then to stick a teensy in at and unleash it's potential.

That doesn't follow in any way, and I would argue that there is probably something else that is "broken".

Kensington Slimblade has been around for almost a decade; all four of mine had 400 cpi (measured after making sure that there was no sensitivity/acceleration manipulation in software, while using a completely different software environment as a control).

I also wonder how you would place a Teensy inside, unless chassis modification/replacement is an option.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 13:31:50 »

(…) Meanwhile, my larger trackball (Kensington Slimblade) is stuck at 400 dpi, but I use software acceleration to cross the screen with a single flick.

Your slimblade must be broken, cause both of mine is most definitely 800cpi. But that is also quite disappointing, since the sensors can do 2000. I have an urge every now and then to stick a teensy in at and unleash it's potential.

That doesn't follow in any way, and I would argue that there is probably something else that is "broken".

Kensington Slimblade has been around for almost a decade; all four of mine had 400 cpi (measured after making sure that there was no sensitivity/acceleration manipulation in software, while using a completely different software environment as a control).

I also wonder how you would place a Teensy inside, unless chassis modification/replacement is an option.

Yeah I was trying to politely put it to you that your measurements are wrong. I did my own tests, verified that they are correct with known specimens, and they show 800 cpi, so there is something wrong with your measurements.

Turns out that I am a moron and you are correct, now I am even more disappointed in this product. But that is more incentive to hack it open.

I see plenty of space inside for a teensy. But modifying the chassis was not ruled out as a possibility.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 14:46:08 by JianYang »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 14:03:17 »

Yeah I was trying to politely put it to you that your measurements are wrong. I did my own tests, verified that they are correct with known specimens, and they show 800 cpi, so there is something wrong with your measurements.

I see plenty of space inside for a teensy. But modifying the chassis was not ruled out as a possibility.

I'd think that pairing the Teensy to an optical or laser sensor would be a bit of a hurdle (*DIY sensor packages have been spotted in the wild). Although, I wouldn't mind glimpsing some teensy mouse projects if anyone has the links.

*Optical(ADNS 3050):
https://www.tindie.com/stores/tom10122/
https://hackaday.com/2016/11/21/diy-optical-sensor-breakout-board-makes-diy-optical-mouse/

*Laser(ADNS 9800):
https://www.tindie.com/products/jkicklighter/adns-9800-laser-motion-sensor/

Offline JianYang

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 14:53:35 »

I'd think that pairing the Teensy to an optical or laser sensor would be a bit of a hurdle (*DIY sensor packages have been spotted in the wild). Although, I wouldn't mind glimpsing some teensy mouse projects if anyone has the links.

*Optical(ADNS 3050):
https://hackaday.com/2016/11/21/diy-optical-sensor-breakout-board-makes-diy-optical-mouse/

*Laser(ADNS 9800):

I have seen those. I do not think that it would be too difficult, the datasheet for the adns-7550 in the kensington is readily available. What might be a problem is what you discover when you try to change the cpi. Some sensors start skipping or doing strange things once you up the resolution, and never really work reliably at the claimed top resolution.

But back on topic. I tend to change CPI quite a lot, depending on mostly my own orientation - usually between 1200, 2400 and 3600.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 15:07:13 »

*Optical(ADNS 3050):

*Laser(ADNS 9800):

I have seen those. I do not think that it would be too difficult, the datasheet for the adns-7550 in the kensington is readily available. What might be a problem is what you discover when you try to change the cpi. Some sensors start skipping or doing strange things once you up the resolution, and never really work reliably at the claimed top resolution.

But back on topic. I tend to change CPI quite a lot, depending on mostly my own orientation - usually between 1200, 2400 and 3600.

Welp, if you ever figure out the teensy talking to the existing sensor part (fully) send me a PM once you've posted the work log :thumb:.  Seems like you've got it dialed in pretty well.

Offline aya3154

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 20:51:48 »

Yeah in practice I don't really see the point of such screens. 1080 Ti already struggles keeping up 100+ Hz @ QHD with everything on ultra. So what's the point of these screens?
I agree completely.

1080Ti in SLI, when the parts are sponsored (or if the client isjust self financing) such builds , even QHD 144Hz becomes a bottleneck for lets say 4 way 1080Ti SLI , so yes for most consumers it is a stretch but for such instances the parts literally demand such screens, and their demand  is enough to justify the price

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 20:53:38 by aya3154 »

Offline mittyzz

• Pet kitties play with _______...
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:18:17 »
I've been an 800-1200 guy always. Been on the latter lately though.

Offline crystalflame

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:37:29 »
I'm currently on ~2500 down from ~3200. I've always used super high sensitive my whole life. I thought it was silly if you couldn't reach every corner of your monitor with just the movement of your wrist. Getting into more FPS games I'm trying to gradually move down in sensitivity though.

Offline Phitness

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 02:31:23 »
Use 1200-1600 for deskktop and 600-800 for gaming.

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 04:12:22 »
1000, but when I play I use a tiny bit of accel as well

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:14:45 »
For dpi, I try to find some golden fleece of nativeness and 1:1. For sens also. No accel. Typically means around 1600.

Back in the old days of 800*600 and 1024*768, I used extremely high sensitivities and accel, which essentially means I wasn't even moving the mouse around, I was only shifting my hand just a little on it. And that was great and much mourned. Obviously can't replicate it in FHD, let alone 4K, nobody has that amount of precision in his hands.

Offline LiL_BrOwNiE247

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:39:27 »
I play around 2800-3000 depending on the game. For many years I had to deal with cramped desk space, which made me get used to making smaller, more precise mouse movements. I have more room available now, but it's just what I'm used to at this point.

Offline quazikun

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 22:34:04 »
800 boi for life. like using really big mousepads and really low sensi haha

Offline giangtran19x

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:45:35 »
Where do you guys check your DPI? I open my Mouse Option but it only has a bar w/t a number.

Offline NJWootton

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:47:19 »
800DPI, good mix for fast enough for general web browsing and slow enough for precise shots in FPS games.

Offline CChocobo

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 21:58:52 »
For me I like the standard windows sensitivity and 800 DPI on my mouse. I used to go balls to the wall and max my sensitivity but I have since found that it doesn't actually matter very much when you're gaming. More DPI absolutely doesn't guarantee more headshots.

That said, getting around on a 34" panel can be a pain. Current mouse  as of last week is the Finalmouse Air58 (Which due to the lightness alleviates some of the getting around issues), previous was a weighted G500.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 22:04:29 »
800 dpi is good. I play games and browse internet with 800 so it's absurd to me how high gaming mice go up now  :p
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline kakan

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 06:09:48 »
400dpi and 6/11 in games. Probably used that for more than 15 years by now. I do also have mouse acc on.

Offline typo

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:32:11 »
4800 on 3x32" displays.

Offline pentawater

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 06:41:19 »

Offline pentawater

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 06:47:01 »
4000dpi so I can have minimal mouse movement

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 10:19:18 »
It really depends what I'm doing.

Regular work, I have it at about 1600
FPS gaming, 400
Other gaming, varies between 600 and 1200