Author Topic: GMK Honeywell issues  (Read 22388 times)

Offline LevelSteam

GMK Honeywell issues
« on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:05:16 »
So I got my GMK Honeywell set today, but in the process of putting it on my board I noticed some of the previously smooth switches were catching or felt gritty when being pressed. I popped off a few of the keycaps and was surprised to see that a large amount of them had a deformity on the underside that was causing my issues. Has anyone else noticed any problems with their sets?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: GMK Honeywell issues
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:18:40 »
That shouldn't affect the feel as that area would never hit anything anyway, but still a strange sight. Are you absolutely sure it was the broken walls? I've never seen this before on GMK.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:20:12 »
Wow, that's weird. Never saw that either, but never really paid close attention as I've never had issues.

Which switches are you using?

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:33:54 »
I had similar issues which ended up interfering with the o-rings.
It wasn't terribly hard to clean up though, so no biggie.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:34:28 »
Have you taken your switch tops off recently? If you have, there is a chance that you "cracked" the housing and will need to replace them. I did that with some Gaterons and switched them out with new housings and there were perfect. Mine had the "catching" issue. I doubt it is from the caps.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:57:43 »
To answer a few of the questions:

I'm using Cherry MX Clears, stock switches that came with my Varmilo VA68Mg. They've never been opened, desoldered, etc. This is the first time I've pulled the caps from the board to swap them out, and I've confirmed that it's definitely that deformity that's causing the key to catch a bit when I release it. The stock caps are fine, as are the ones without the deformity. My guess is I tend to push a little bit south when I type (the deformed wall is at the bottom of the caps -not the right side- I just forgot to rotate the picture), so the keycap pushes down a little and catches.

I've got an email out to Originative, but this is my first experience with GMK so I wasn't sure if this was a known issue or something. If it were just a couple keys I'd just clean them up with a dremel and move on, but I have about two complete rows plus my accents which are like this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 May 2017, 12:43:15 by LevelSteam »

Offline Chazmondo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 06:41:58 »
Your bottom left and top right keycap are the ones that would catch the most. I had the same issue on some of my Honeywells and I just got a scalpel and trimmed away the excess. The ones I had like your bottom left did catch but now are fine.

I have 3 GMk sets (Honeywell, Sky Dolch and Hydro) and they all have some keys which have dodgy wall join thing.

Offline need

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 06:51:06 »
Some of my GMK have this missing walls thing too, but they don't interfere with operation.

Offline richard912

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 07:44:36 »
Am surprised with the (lack of) QC and how something like this gets shipped out. I'm definitely going to eye ball all the caps of my set when it arrives but I really don't see how this would affect the overall feel though.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 07:59:22 »
Shame on GMK for letting these defects reaching the final customer. Again, that is why original Cherry sets are still preferred.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 19:24:57 »
Unfortunately a lot of the keycaps in my set are like this and subsequently catch a bit here and there on my switch housings. It's disappointing to hear that it's a somewhat common thing too given the cost of the set. I've had to clean up some flashing on my various Vortex kits before, but even then it wasn't this bad, and it was only with maybe 3 or 4 keys out of a full 104 key set.

I'll keep this in mind when considering future GMK sets. Thanks for all of your input. :)

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 21:21:48 »
Last update to this-

I took the advice of a couple other people in this thread and using my x-acto knives I trimmed the bad bits off the offending keycaps. Took a while since my hands aren't as steady as they used to be, but I got them all trimmed up and in place on the board. Overall I'm happy with the result, and extremely happy with the feel of these caps. No more scratching/catching on my switch housings. Thanks again for the help and advice!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 21:38:10 »
Good job! But being this an over $100 USD set of plastic key caps those defects are just not acceptable.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 22:58:33 »
Good job! But being this an over $100 USD set of plastic key caps those defects are just not acceptable.

I agree, it isn't acceptable. However rather than spend a fair chunck of my time waiting on replacements that -going on the comments here- may or may not have the same issue doesn't appeal to me. I'm going to stick with the Oblivion group buy to give GMK another shot and see how it goes. If I end up seeing the same issues with those I think I'll pass on future sets though.

Offline chaseyeh0721

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 01:08:23 »
Hi there,

I have the same issues here and also found some keys with black spot.

For the extra material//residual inside of the keycaps, they are making the keys stiff//stuck when pressing down the keys.
If I replace the keycap without the extra material//residual, the key goes up and down very smoothly.
Besides, I prefer not to do it to trim inside of the keycaps cause such a not cheap key sets, the quality control should be there.

Also, for the black spot, I have tried some cleaner but still cannot remove.

Have no choice but sent the email to Originativeco and wait for their reply.

Offline richard912

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 01:24:09 »
Wondering to what extend this issue affects the entire set ie how many keys are affected and if this issue affects the same keycaps across the entire GB. My set should be arriving sometime this week and I will post my findings then

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 08:26:55 »
Even if you decide to rework your caps yourself, you should report what keys got the defect back to Originative to let GMK know the data so they can prevent the issue from happening. It seems like the reinforcement lines got stock in the mold cavity in either of the shots and it is an error that can be fixed, but they will need data and some pictures to understand the root cause. Not reporting it would not help and it may affect other future sets.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:29:25 »
Hi there,

I have the same issues here and also found some keys with black spot.

For the extra material//residual inside of the keycaps, they are making the keys stiff//stuck when pressing down the keys.
If I replace the keycap without the extra material//residual, the key goes up and down very smoothly.
Besides, I prefer not to do it to trim inside of the keycaps cause such a not cheap key sets, the quality control should be there.

Also, for the black spot, I have tried some cleaner but still cannot remove.

Have no choice but sent the email to Originativeco and wait for their reply.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. Like I said in my other post, the main reason that I fixed mine myself was that I'm not a very patient person and I didn't want to wait on an exchange/replacement. The fix I performed doesn't change the feel of the keycap at all though, and even knowing which caps I've trimmed I can't tell without removing them and looking underneath. In any case do what works for you.

Even if you decide to rework your caps yourself, you should report what keys got the defect back to Originative to let GMK know the data so they can prevent the issue from happening. It seems like the reinforcement lines got stock in the mold cavity in either of the shots and it is an error that can be fixed, but they will need data and some pictures to understand the root cause. Not reporting it would not help and it may affect other future sets.

I absolutely agree with this. If other people have the same issue and decide to repair it on their own like I did, I'd hope that they still take the time to shoot an email to Originative so they can forward the information to GMK.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 13:50:04 »

I absolutely agree with this. If other people have the same issue and decide to repair it on their own like I did, I'd hope that they still take the time to shoot an email to Originative so they can forward the information to GMK.

Being injection molding there is no way just one set being affected by the issue.

Offline richard912

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 22:47:18 »

Being injection molding there is no way just one set being affected by the issue.

Alas, that would be true. I wonder if OCo is aware of this issue....

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 23:51:55 »

As this thread is out of the original GB's one it is doubtful that he knows

Offline richard912

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 00:00:39 »

As this thread is out of the original GB's one it is doubtful that he knows

As my set is still in transit, I can only check it when I get my hands on them. In the meantime, those who have already received their sets and have this issue should start the ball rolling with OCo.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 07:59:41 »
Those of you that joined the GB can post about this there, to keep information flowing to the interested parties.

Offline richard912

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 05:38:19 »
My set came in today and I gave each and every one of them the eyeball. I've highlighted the "bad" ones in yellow and it's not a pretty picture whereby it is not limited to just a few keycaps.

Essentially, I could rate them as follows:
*good - the perfect ones,
*so so - not so perfect ones,
*bad - missing a limb, and
*very bad - missing a limb with excess extrusion that needed trimming. Fortunately, not too many of these. My set had ~6 keycaps that needed trimming

Wonder what OCo is going to do about this????
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 05:52:11 by richard912 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 07:10:51 »
That picture makes a nice statistics. Strangely, I have seen some individuals showing their sets off with no comment about quality issues. That just does not make sense, having some sets defect free while others do have them.  :-[

Offline Freed

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 07:49:10 »
My set have these issues too.....
All of Row R1 caps  :'(

It's impossible that GMK didn't see the problem !

Offline richard912

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 08:17:25 »
That picture makes a nice statistics. Strangely, I have seen some individuals showing their sets off with no comment about quality issues. That just does not make sense, having some sets defect free while others do have them.  :-[
Highly likely that they did not even inspect their caps. They probably just tore open the box on arrival, slapped the keycaps on whatever board and were happy campers

Offline richard912

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 08:18:29 »
My set have these issues too.....
All of Row R1 caps  :'(

It's impossible that GMK didn't see the problem !
I do recall most of those with excess extrusion on my set were Row 1

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 12:48:11 »
I encourage those of you that actually participated in the GB to rise your voice in the same GB thread to open a discussion about what appears to be an important quality problem; otherwise, it may be dropped as just a few of you extra-picky-buyers, that are just overreacting and stretching the facts.

Offline blighty

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 15:45:54 »
I did a quick look at a few of my R1 installed Honeywell caps.  Some are missing the front support, most aren't.  No noticeable difference in feel between the two on Cherry reds with o-rings... 

LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline richard912

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 20:26:40 »
I did a quick look at a few of my R1 installed Honeywell caps.  Some are missing the front support, most aren't.  No noticeable difference in feel between the two on Cherry reds with o-rings...

The point here is more of us being buyers, should not be expecting to receive products that contain any imperfections.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 07:42:56 »

I recieved an email back from Originative yesterday saying that they were aware of the issue due to other people mentioning it to them, but that it was largely a cosmetic problem since it didn't impair the functionality of the caps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 07:53:02 »

I recieved an email back from Originative yesterday saying that they were aware of the issue due to other people mentioning it to them, but that it was largely a cosmetic problem since it didn't impair the functionality of the caps.

That is disappointing! Does it mean that any future set that they make could have such a defect because "it is cosmetic"? Totally unacceptable. The reinforcement underneath the cap was included in the design for a reason.

Offline richard912

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:38:17 »

That is disappointing! Does it mean that any future set that they make could have such a defect because "it is cosmetic"? Totally unacceptable. The reinforcement underneath the cap was included in the design for a reason.
Indeed. To just shrug it off that way is not good for customer retention OCo, or not. If you look at OCo's Honeywell GB thread, seems the same "issues" are evident in other sets besides Honeywell. REALLY VERY DISAPPOINTED

Offline calavera

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:39:20 »
This isn't an issue with just Honeywell. As a matter of fact, R2 Skydolch has the EXACT same problem.
Some specific R1 keys have black mold near the stem as well as the reinforcement not removed cleanly. Here's a link from the Korean forums that show these defects:

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_cUlO13&document_srl=4379429

While I believe it's not a deal breaker, GMK should definitely be notified as all group buys are affected.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:45:46 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:29:24 by Arallu »

Offline richard912

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 09:17:49 »
Since most are contented with their sets despite the imperfections, I rest my case. I'm glad the next two sets I'm expecting are not GMK related

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 10:50:19 »
This really may just be cosmetic. I have Hydro, Hyperfuse R2, Sky Dolch R1 and they all have a couple F-Row and Number row keys with only 3 stems.

Show Image

I'd agree that that's more of a cosmetic issue since those clean lines shouldn't interfere with anything. On my Honeywell set though the deformed walls were causing the keys to catch or make contact with the switch housings too early. Hopefully my Oblivion kits look more like yours/don't have the same defect.

Offline blighty

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 11:32:06 »
On the plus side, LEDs won't hit what's not there.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline xine007

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 01:29:30 »
My Esc key came with some weird burn. Hasn't affected use or anything like that but I thought it was weird.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 13:25:16 »
Personally, I experience no issues with the set. I'll still buy GMK and I'll still buy from O.Co but GMK should at least remove that support or fix it in a relatively timely manner for other sets.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 22:16:37 »
I have it on some of these, and my other GMK sets, and never noticed.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 22:21:54 »
I have it on some of these, and my other GMK sets, and never noticed.

My OG Cherry sets have no issue whatsoever, this is a GMK first.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 11:58:23 »
That's what I'm saying.  This isn't a first.

I checked my Honeywell, Carbon, WoB, Penumbra, Hyperfuse, Sky Dolch, Aqua, and that defect can be found at some point in all of them.  It's just clean on the ones that I'm seeing.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 14:21:47 »
That's what I'm saying.  This isn't a first.

I checked my Honeywell, Carbon, WoB, Penumbra, Hyperfuse, Sky Dolch, Aqua, and that defect can be found at some point in all of them.  It's just clean on the ones that I'm seeing.

Exactly: It is a first for all GMK made sets, not found before when Cherry ran these molds. In other words, GMK is not as good as Cherry was manufacturing the same caps, with the same molds.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 20:09:57 »
i think what he is saying that almost every GMK set has some issues with supports on the f-row. the issue with honeywell is that they have not been "cleaned up" as in past runs. i am seeing the same on penumbra. i suspect it may be an issue with the custom colors, but that could be coincidental

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 21:09:08 »
I'm wondering if GMK is just cutting corners to get sets out faster with a higher demand from the community.

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 09:50:22 »
I see no issues with the stems, I have the same 1 part of the cross that's either missing it a little messy, but does it matter?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 10:23:23 »
I'm wondering if GMK is just cutting corners to get sets out faster with a higher demand from the community.

The evidence is pointing in that direction. I have checked all my OG Cherry sets and none of them has this missing underneath reinforcements, why we should accept GMK to mess with manufacturing just for the sake of cost savings at our expenses? These sets are not cheap, even for mechanical keyboard standards.

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 15:49:56 »
Just checking in to say that I also experienced this problem.  The vast majority of my caps exhibit some level of problem with the supports.

Offline base

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 23:00:01 »
My Esc key came with some weird burn. Hasn't affected use or anything like that but I thought it was weird.

Show Image

My Esc key has the same issue.  Didn't notice the burn until today, when I pulled the cap (for the first time since installing) and I heard a crack. The stem split vertically along the burn mark.  Emailed Originative, and their response was "We will contact GMK and let them know of the issue. As far as a replacement goes, we'll have to wait for their response regarding it". Will have to wait and see I guess, but this is clearly not just a cosmetic defect.

Offline richard912

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 00:51:17 »

Show Image

My Esc key has the same issue.  Didn't notice the burn until today, when I pulled the cap (for the first time since installing) and I heard a crack. The stem split vertically along the burn mark.  Emailed Originative, and their response was "We will contact GMK and let them know of the issue. As far as a replacement goes, we'll have to wait for their response regarding it". Will have to wait and see I guess, but this is clearly not just a cosmetic defect.

Show Image

Ouch! Sorry to hear about it. It looks like the sub-standard production had resulted in the material around the stem to become brittle. Not knowing if OCo reads this here, I suggest you post your experience at the Honeywell thread by OCo https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86286.350

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 09:17:05 »

You should post in the GB thread.

A gentle reminder to everyone reporting the issues, that the one and only official venue for the GB is its thread, posting here may not help keeping Sherry involved and committed. The general feeling is that he is dismissing this issue as a mere cosmetic thing.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 09:47:18 »

A gentle reminder to everyone reporting the issues, that the one and only official venue for the GB is its thread, posting here may not help keeping Sherry involved and committed. The general feeling is that he is dismissing this issue as a mere cosmetic thing.

He isn't/wasn't- it's GMK.  And in all honesty, it doesn't seem that big a deal as it was in other buys.  As far as committed, why are you so committed to this as you weren't in the buy?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:53:07 »

He isn't/wasn't- it's GMK.  And in all honesty, it doesn't seem that big a deal as it was in other buys.  As far as committed, why are you so committed to this as you weren't in the buy?

Because I am a GMK Customer. It seems the problem is a manufacturing issue potentially affecting any set.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:58:47 »
I have burn marks on my Honeywell, Sky Dolch V2 and GMK Magenta...(underside on some stems).

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 12:55:26 »

Because I am a GMK Customer. It seems the problem is a manufacturing issue potentially affecting any set.

You just keep bringing it up, without knowing if it is cosmetic after all are willing to let it drop, or wait for a response from Sherry.  Seems more like stirring the issue more than anything else, especially since you have no personal experience with it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 13:14:21 »

You just keep bringing it up, without knowing if it is cosmetic after all are willing to let it drop, or wait for a response from Sherry.  Seems more like stirring the issue more than anything else, especially since you have no personal experience with it.

I do not want to have personal experience with it really, that is the point. If you notice, I am not posting at the GB thread, so I do not see why is your motivation to interfere. You and me are free to post here; however, my motivation is legitimate in the interest of a quality issue to be fixed, either, if you consider minor, it is still a quality issue. It appears that you have some sort of personal interest with the GB leader. Again, even if that is the case this is not the GB thread, but a thread on a GMK quality issue, that I am interested in and with all due respect, I really do not care if you like it or not.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:04:54 »

I do not want to have personal experience with it really, that is the point. If you notice, I am not posting at the GB thread, so I do not see why is your motivation to interfere. You and me are free to post here; however, my motivation is legitimate in the interest of a quality issue to be fixed, either, if you consider minor, it is still a quality issue. It appears that you have some sort of personal interest with the GB leader. Again, even if that is the case this is not the GB thread, but a thread on a GMK quality issue, that I am interested in and with all due respect, I really do not care if you like it or not.

Really?  You're going there?  I just barely knew that sherry wasn't a she recently.  I have no interest in the company, other than having some of their keycap sets that I paid retail for - not GB price.  I just noticed that you kept stirring this when you don't even have experience with the issue.  I didn't even say anything towards you other than to ask your interest- which is a valid question.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:13:40 »

Really?  You're going there?  I just barely knew that sherry wasn't a she recently.  I have no interest in the company, other than having some of their keycap sets that I paid retail for - not GB price.  I just noticed that you kept stirring this when you don't even have experience with the issue.  I didn't even say anything towards you other than to ask your interest- which is a valid question.

Alright then, got it. You have no interest; but some postings bothering you, so I am sorry. I'd like to have defect free key caps coming from GMK, that, by the way is the only key caps profile and material that I use on my keyboards. I have no interest in this particular buy, either. But I would like GMK to be a reliable source of these beloved type of key caps.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:32:31 »

Alright then, got it. You have no interest; but some postings bothering you, so I am sorry. I'd like to have defect free key caps coming from GMK, that, by the way is the only key caps profile and material that I use on my keyboards. I have no interest in this particular buy, either. But I would like GMK to be a reliable source of these beloved type of key caps.

Never said it bothered me either.  I was just curious, and it is a valid question.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:34:18 »
A question is almost always a legitimate one.  :thumb:

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 12:27:10 »
I don't believe those little fins are there for structural integrity of the finished product. They are most likely just a by-product of how the mold is designed.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 12:30:48 »
I don't believe those little fins are there for structural integrity of the finished product. They are most likely just a by-product of how the mold is designed.

Not true, the "fins" are there to support/ stabilize the stem.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 20:27:13 »

SA profile keycaps have much longer stems and they do not have these fins.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 20:56:59 »

Your point being what? I didn't say the keycap would break without the fins, I said they're there to support the stem.

Adding the fins complicates the mold more thus making it more expensive to produce, if the fins were totally useless why would most profiles (other than stuff from SP) include them?

The addition of the fins isn't necessary but it leads to a more solid final product.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 22:17:31 »

Your point being what? I didn't say the keycap would break without the fins, I said they're there to support the stem.

Adding the fins complicates the mold more thus making it more expensive to produce, if the fins were totally useless why would most profiles (other than stuff from SP) include them?

The addition of the fins isn't necessary but it leads to a more solid final product.

No need to get defensive, I'm just making observations based on available evidence.

I'll point to the fact that GMK representatives themselves stated that the missing fins were just a cosmetic issue.

Further, if you look under your row 3 GMK keycaps, those fins are maybe half a millimeter high. They aren't doing anything for the structural integrity of the stem.

I don't know why the fins are there, but I believe they have something to do with the manufacturing process rather than the finished product.

To answer your question, my point is that we do not need to worry about missing fins on keycaps. The deformities are strange, but regardless of why they are there, the missing fins are not detrimental to the keycaps' usability.

Of course in OP's case, where there is actually extra material protruding to where it should not be, this is certainly a problem. However, since many thousands of individuals use GMK keycaps regularly and this is seemingly the first time this issue has popped up, it is likely isolated to a small run of caps.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 22:45:41 »
I'll point to the fact that GMK representatives themselves stated that the missing fins were just a cosmetic issue.

That makes sense because the fins aren't necessary, they're just extra reinforcement to make the keycap structurally more solid than it needs to be.

Further, if you look under your row 3 GMK keycaps, those fins are maybe half a millimeter high. They aren't doing anything for the structural integrity of the stem.

Row 3 is fairly low profile so the stem is shorter and extra reinforcement isn't necessary at all (not that it normally is anyway but still), the fins are there to keep the bottom section of the stem the same length regardless of the row.

To answer your question, my point is that we do not need to worry about missing fins on keycaps. The deformities are strange, but regardless of why they are there, the missing fins are not detrimental to the keycaps' usability.

I agree with this, the deformities shouldn't get in the way of the switch functioning correctly and shouldn't cause the keycap to break so in the end are more of a cosmetic issue.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 23:06:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

I have the same exact burn on my red escape too. Strangely, my grey escape key is fine (along with all of my other keys).

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:16:38 »
I'd like to add that I have a similar experience as OP my ~ and 4 key and possibly others have what looks like cut plastic underneath.

Offline KACHAKEYS

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 01:51:46 »
I have this deformity on ever single Red ESC from GMK
havent looked at terminal and I dont have honeywell (though I wish I did)

Offline base

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 10:27:24 »
Just as info for anyone who might have an issue with their ESC key as I did (stem on mine cracked) - Originative is selling the RO2 colored ESC individually. It is an option under add-ons/GMK Red ESC

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 14:40:02 »
For what it's worth I've gotten in a couple GMK sets and kits since I made this thread (Oblivion, Yuri, some accents and Ceresia) and haven't had any deformities in the walls of those caps like what was present in my Honeywell kit. Some of the caps are missing the same wall that was deformed in the Honeywell set, but all the mold lines have been nice and clean. So maybe this was just an isolated issue that GMK has resolved.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:43:47 »
If it worth something, I installed Kekkon's Dolch and no keycap has the issue. Was HW manufactured with custom colors? Would be the polymers blend what causes the issues.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:45:11 »
If it worth something, I installed Kekkon's Dolch and no keycap has the issue. Was HW manufactured with custom colors? Would be the polymers blend what causes the issues.

pretty sure it's standard GMK colors
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:47:00 »

I such case, only a manufacturing method error remains as the possible culprit, only.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:27:59 »

I such case, only a manufacturing method error remains as the possible culprit, only.

That's my guess too.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:40:02 »
We're wearing out the mold equipment!  :))

Meh, i think Ideus is right.
Its probably a setting or failed part that just happened to be getting worse.
-Dana