Author Topic: Flipped Space  (Read 20394 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Flipped Space
« on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 01:03:40 »
So after 2+ years of flipping my spacebars I tried typing on a board without a flipped space and it feels terrible, I hit right between B & M and directly on the leading edge of the spacebar's top surface. I'm sure my exact space hit placement has changed a bit after flipping but at this point I don't think I could go back.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Encabulator

Re: Flipped Space
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 07:37:21 »
I hate flipped spacebars. When I flip my spacebar it feels like I have to put my wrists at an upward angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 08:05:47 »
It depends on the angle of the keyboard and how you're sitting on the chair. I have my work board flipped, but one day I raised my seat really high and oddly found the space bar too angled. So I flipped it back to normal and it felt...great.

Then I lowered my seat again and re-flipped the bar.

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 09:12:52 »
I tried flipping mine for a day and I just couldn't stand it. Like Encabulator, I felt I had to change my typing posture and it felt very unnatural and annoying.

From the people I know that like flipped spacebars, you either just like it or you don't.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 09:22:37 »
I know your pain Joey.

I felt very comfortable typing on a flipped spacebar + wrist rest with the Varmilo and the Filco but I can't flip the spacebar of the G80.
Problem is, I am now used to hit the spacebar with my thumb's knuckle with an oblique, downward stroke so my thumbs hurt a bit after prolonged typing with the G80. Wish I could flip the damn spacebar. I tried raising the wrist rest but it doesn't help.  :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 10:30:29 by Targa-TV »
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Entropia

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 10:13:07 »
I always use my left thumb for the spacebar. I found out this idea of flipping the spacebar some months ago. At first I wasn't aware of what what the purpose of doing this, until I tried. Now, with my Leopold FC980M using a flipped spacebar feels so much more natural and comfortable. It may look weird on the keyboard, but it feels right. It's such a simple and brilliant idea!

Offline diiiP

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:10:20 »
for me it depends mainly on my wrist.
When lifted of the table or with a wristrest the normal oriantation works great.
With the wrist on the table flipped is more comfortable.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 23:53:10 »
I am now used to hit the spacebar with my thumb's knuckle with an oblique, downward stroke

Sounds very similar to how I hit space

for me it depends mainly on my wrist.
When lifted of the table or with a wristrest the normal oriantation works great.
With the wrist on the table flipped is more comfortable.

No wrist rest for sure makes the difference between flipped and not flipped more obvious but even with a wrist rest I still don't like not flipped.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 07:24:19 »
I keep my wrists up so I keep the bar in normal orientation.  Though even if I bent my wrists, I'd still use normal because flipped bars look so, so awful.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 07:29:13 »
Flipped spacebars are agaisnt the rules and keyboard police will arrest you for doing it.
Be warned.

I find actually typing with a flipped bar to be kinda off putting and prefer to type with it the right way.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 07:31:57 »
I keep my wrists up so I keep the bar in normal orientation.  Though even if I bent my wrists, I'd still use normal because flipped bars look so, so awful.

You prefer uncomfortable typing to the aesthetic of a flipped spacebar?

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 07:44:42 »
I tried flipping mine for a day and I just couldn't stand it. Like Encabulator, I felt I had to change my typing posture and it felt very unnatural and annoying.

From the people I know that like flipped spacebars, you either just like it or you don't.

Yup same here. I can't stand the feeling of my spacebar being flipped. It throws off all of my typing.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:54:13 »

You prefer uncomfortable typing to the aesthetic of a flipped spacebar?

TBH I don't find a normal bar uncomfortable even when I try typing with my wrists bent.  Though maybe people are typing with even worse posture than I assume or I just tap the bar more lightly than others or something.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 11:47:39 »
If you need to flip your spacebar then you need to review your position/ergonomics in front of your desk.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 01:22:49 »
If you need to flip your spacebar then you need to review your position/ergonomics in front of your desk.

Have any facts to back this up?

I use 3 different desks with 3 different chairs and the height difference changes from desk to desk, I always prefer a flipped space.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 06:06:19 »

Have any facts to back this up?

I use 3 different desks with 3 different chairs and the height difference changes from desk to desk, I always prefer a flipped space.
What facts? It's basic ergonomics. You should be positioned relative to your desk so that your elbows form a 90° angle, your forearms and wrists should be strait and your hands should hover above the keyboard (and a wrist-rest is for resting the palm of your hands when your are not typing). All in a relaxed position. Unless one has some kind of deformity, in this position, your thumbs should fall down on the top of the space bar — not on the edge/angle. If so, you are doing it wrong.

Not saying it is your case; there might be something else in your setup(s) that could be a potential issue, but for instance a lot of people I see typing with inverted spacebars tend to have their wrists at an angle, wresting them on the desk while typing. That's asking for trouble in the long run if you spend a lot of time in front of the computer.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 06:08:40 by _PixelNinja »

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 08:09:46 »
What facts? It's basic ergonomics. You should be positioned relative to your desk so that your elbows form a 90° angle, your forearms and wrists should be strait and your hands should hover above the keyboard (and a wrist-rest is for resting the palm of your hands when your are not typing). All in a relaxed position. Unless one has some kind of deformity, in this position, your thumbs should fall down on the top of the space bar — not on the edge/angle. If so, you are doing it wrong.
Then I am doing it wrong because my goodness keeping my arms at 90° angle with forearms and wrists straight for 4+ hours in front of my computer HURTS AS F*. When I'm transcribing lessons for example I'm constantly retreating (<-there is be a better word for this but i can't recall right now) my forearms to my chest and rubbing my wrists every time the speaker pauses or stammers. At a 90° angle with straight forearms and wrists... Man, seriously, try to keep that position for hours on end and report back and if you don't feel pain please tell me what's your magic. It hurts as all f***s.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 08:11:33 by Targa-TV »

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 08:45:10 »
Done it for many years without pain. And that is the important point — if it hurts, then something is wrong.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 13:17:45 »

I still think it has more to do with how you hit space, my typing posture is decently similar to what you describe (my wrists aren't angled when I type). If you hit space straight down regular will be your choice, if you more slide your thumb off space to actuate it flipped will feel better.

For example, keysets with a flatter space like DSA, SA, or the occasional weird vintage profile don't bother me at all but I really only use Cherry profile or the OEM HHKB profile so I always flip.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 07:55:46 »
Done it for many years without pain. And that is the important point — if it hurts, then something is wrong.

I only flipped space bars like 6 months ago, I mostly use DSA/XDA sets so with those there's no flipping obviously, though when I do use GMK/SA I rather have them flipped - I have no issue/pain/etc having them on the right away, I've used keyboards for 6-12 hours a day for decades now but it does feel much more natural to have it flipped. Go figure. Might as well do it, I see no problem in doing so personally.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 21:50:44 »
I remain unable to flip the space bar on this keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 17:55:11 »
Maybe you should ditch the ancient IBM.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 21:57:31 »

Nope.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 22:07:45 »

Nope.

When I get a 4704 I'll figure out a way to flip the space.  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 22:16:30 »

Nope.

Why?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 23:05:32 »
I tried to do flip space bar and it is just so uncomfortable for me. I can not live with it.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 23:07:33 »
I tried to do flip space bar and it is just so uncomfortable for me. I can not live with it.

Same 100%. Not to mention I also think it looks really bad.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 23:11:19 »

Why?

Wait, is the 4704 space symmetrical? I guess I never noticed how flat it looks, there may be no need to flip it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 05:04:48 »

Why?

Wait, is the 4704 space symmetrical? I guess I never noticed how flat it looks, there may be no need to flip it.

There is never any need to flip any space bar.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 05:15:01 »

There is never any need to flip any space bar.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 07:06:47 »
During my time here I've heard of flipped spacebars before so I decided to try it.
I just couldn't get used to it. I don't know if many many years of typing with a regular spacebar has ruined it for me. I simply couldn't get comfortable with it and I was making mistakes.
Might have something to do with my awful posture or just the way that I type. I'd probably need someone way more knowledgeable than me looking at me type so he could correct all the mistakes I was making. :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 21:54:24 »
During my time here I've heard of flipped spacebars before so I decided to try it.
I just couldn't get used to it. I don't know if many many years of typing with a regular spacebar has ruined it for me. I simply couldn't get comfortable with it and I was making mistakes.
Might have something to do with my awful posture or just the way that I type. I'd probably need someone way more knowledgeable than me looking at me type so he could correct all the mistakes I was making. :p

Or maybe it's because you are a normal person, and flipped space bars are totally deviant.

Offline iliptikal

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 23:32:18 »
I had never tried it until recently, and now I use mine flipped too.  I just like the way my thumb hits the key much better.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 05:35:01 »
I had never tried it until recently, and now I use mine flipped too.  I just like the way my thumb hits the key much better.

:-X

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 07:51:26 »

Or maybe it's because you are a normal person, and flipped space bars are totally deviant.
Yes... Normal. Indeed.  :))

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 07:57:16 »
Recently converted everyone in my office that uses a mech to flipped, muahahahaha

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 08:02:39 »
Recently converted everyone in my office that uses a mech to flipped, muahahahaha

Good work :thumb:

Offline kolec94

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 09:57:13 »
I like my space-bar flipped just because i feel like i need to purposefully  click it not just barely press it and get more spaces then i need.

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 21:59:25 »
So these deviants who flip their space bars - do you flip the rest of the bottom row too?  If not, have you been tempted to?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:21:19 »
So these deviants who flip their space bars - do you flip the rest of the bottom row too?  If not, have you been tempted to?

I don't but that's because only my thumb hits at an angle where flipping makes it more comfortable to use, if space wasn't the only key I hit with my thumb then maybe I'd try flipping other keys.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:26:21 »
On my Gon HHKB I have flipped the spacebar as well as the two 1.5u keys directly next to it. I haven't flipped the two 1u keys on the far ends of the bottom row though. Since I hit those keys with my pinky and not my thumbs, it just doesn't make sense to flip them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 22:30:22 »
Interesting responses - thanks - which lead me to wonder if it is shape of thumb or dexterity of thumb movement that makes an unflipped space bar uncomfortable for a small percentage of users.

Offline KACHAKEYS

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 01:58:13 »
I personally have been typing on flipped space for the past two and a half years and I cant even use a normal  keyboard now, Same with swapped Backspace/Backslash.
I feel like an ape when I use a friends keyboard that doesnt have both of these.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 22:45:31 »
I feel like an ape when I use a friends keyboard that doesnt have both of these.

How I feel whenever I use qwerty now  :blank:

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 22:59:05 »
Yeah I know that feel. Such a pain, but I'll never switch back.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 23:03:39 »
Yeah I know that feel. Such a pain, but I'll never switch back.

Oh yeah, I'll never switch back

Now I just carry a board with me everywhere I go

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 23:17:08 »
Just dropping in this thread to say that I only use flipped space anymore. It's so much more comfortable than unflipped.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 15:40:51 »
I too am a flipper but I haven't tried yet on the VE.A yet. At work currently using dsa so no flipping needed. Maybe I'm an impostor?

Offline NAV

• Formerly A_Vicarious_Death
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 00:31:12 »
flipped is best

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 05:02:58 »
I don't like a flipped _spacebar_ but flip keys like modifiers (which may include the key mapped to "space" in the end).

Offline PQStarLord

« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 05:46:05 »
I tried flipping and it felt ridiculous.  I presume it must have something to do with wrist position on the desk?

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 06:50:53 »
I tried it too, because i thought that it would feel better. Man was i wrong.
I think that it could be nice with keyboards that have a case with no high border around the keys (like the one on davkols picture) in case you rest your palms while typing.
However mine has a higher border and when i use my spacebar flipped while resting my palms, my thumbs keep hitting the edge of the board and that's way more annoying.
With hovering hands and flipped spacebar the angle didn't feel great either.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 11:25:18 »
"I cannot believe my own son flips his space bar. I never raised him this way. The shame."

"IT"S NOT A PHASE DAD! GET OUT OF MY ROOM I'M MAKING AN ENLIGHTENED POINT TO A STRANGER ON THIS NARUTO FORUM! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

Offline Gouty

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 09:49:55 »
Flipped spacebar makes sense due to hitting it with your thumbs, plus no legend.  I've seen a few people flip bottom row modifiers which seems silly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 21:43:27 »
Flipped spacebar makes sense due to hitting it with your thumbs, plus no legend.  I've seen a few people flip bottom row modifiers which seems silly.

I hit a non-flipped space bar with my thumb all day without any issues.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 22:39:15 »

Your thumbs may be broken

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 23:41:13 »
I can understand why people want to flip the space bar on Topre profile or Signature Plastics' DCS profile because of the sharp front edge of those space bars... but Cherry profile? Really?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:12:54 »

Your thumbs may be broken

My thumbs are fine, thank you.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 01:17:20 »
I love flipped space on my pok3r but it just doesn't work on my filco.
Do I have to rearrange the entire costar stabilizer to get it to work?

Offline yuppie

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 01:30:38 »
flipped. It's the only way to fly.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline DKrause

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 17:49:09 »
Go big or go home I always say, so I flipped my whole keyboard upside down to give it a try. But now my thumbs hit numbers instead of spaces..

I'm so confused...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:51:36 »

If you REALLY want to, you'll have to rotate the stabiliser inserts under the space bar 180 degrees.

If you REALLY want to.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 23:14:03 »

If you REALLY want to, you'll have to rotate the stabiliser inserts under the space bar 180 degrees.

If you REALLY want to.

Hmm bar still catches on the switch housing, does THAT need to be flipped around as well?
How deep does flipception go?

Offline yuppie

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 23:59:12 »
no need to flip the space on DSA
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 21:47:06 »

If you REALLY want to.

Hmm bar still catches on the switch housing, does THAT need to be flipped around as well?
How deep does flipception go?

Just don't flip - keep things as the manufacturer intended :p

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 22:14:00 »
I just think flipped spacebar looks worse and keyboards are all about aesthetic imo

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
Flipped Space
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 22:35:15 »
I just think flipped spacebar looks worse and keyboards are all about aesthetic imo
I can't use my keyboard if it doesn't look nice, it's in front of me all day. 75% of keyboards for me is finding the prettiest one.

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 11:22:25 »
I personally don't like it. I tried it and didn't like how my thumb couldn't feel for the edge to rest on. Funny enough, I'm guessing this is why people flip it.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:49:46 »
My thumb feels as if it's going to slip off the spacebar when it's flipped. The edge gives it a place to rest.

When playing games, I especially rely on the edge of the spacebar to catch my thumb because I usually flick the spacebar when jumping or climbing in game rather than pressing it. I've actually found DSA to be a bit difficult to use for games because of this.

And it does look ugly to me when it's flipped.  :-X
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 14:30:26 »
PSA: NON FLIPPED SPACEBARS WILL BE ERADICATED SOON

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 15:29:22 »
^

^^

^^^

^_^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 21:46:02 »
PSA: NON FLIPPED SPACEBARS WILL BE ERADICATED SOON

I am disturbed by your lack of non-flipped space bars.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 02:52:09 »
So after 2+ years of flipping my spacebars I tried typing on a board without a flipped space and it feels terrible, I hit right between B & M and directly on the leading edge of the spacebar's top surface. I'm sure my exact space hit placement has changed a bit after flipping but at this point I don't think I could go back.

This happened to me after just a few days of flipped spacebardom. That sharp edge is just unbearable!
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:03:23 »

This happened to me after just a few days of flipped spacebardom. That sharp edge is just unbearable!

What is all this talk about sharp edges?

Space bar has same profile as Ctrl/Win/Alt/Menu - don't you find they have "sharp edges" too?

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:35:23 »

Space bar has same profile as Ctrl/Win/Alt/Menu - don't you find they have "sharp edges" too?

You press them differently. It's not literally every single word.

This is my only problem with SA too. You can't flip that ****. It literally hurts to type on. :(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 02:05:00 »

I don't hit those keys with my thumb  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 21:55:29 »

I don't hit those keys with my thumb  :p

I do!  With either thumb, depending on which side of the keyboard.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 10:45:55 »
I hit left control with my thumb but at a completely different angle (my control is immediately left of my spacebar)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 21:56:07 »
I hit left control with my thumb but at a completely different angle (my control is immediately left of my spacebar)

Sounds like a non-standard layout.

I probably hit Ctrl and Alt more edge on with a thumb while the rest of my hand (either hand, depending on the side of the keyboard) is stretching across the keyboard, in contradistinction to space which I tend to hit more on the top flat surface about 3/4 to the right.

Offline superpiya

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 05:39:49 »
I was trained to touch-type using a very old mechanical typewriter. You have to slam the keys really fast and hard so that the letter shaped lever press against the ribbon with enough force. So it really doesn't make any sense for me to flip the spacebar, so that your thumbs can rest comfortably on it. When I actually type, NONE of my fingers are resting on the keycaps, they all hover above the keycaps.

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 15:59:24 »
I can't do flipped mainly because it just looks awful ._.

Relatively indifferent to the feel. I can somewhat understand why people like a flipped space bar (more of your finger hits more of the top surface area), but I am inclined to believe that incorrect typing posture would lead to the use of a flipped space bar. Ultimately, to each their own though. I won't go so far as to say there is a 'right' or 'wrong', either.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 18:19:41 »
It's not really about your typing posture IMO, more about what angle you like to keep your thumb at. Higher up and you'd have no problems, but lower down where I like it and you start hitting the corner even if your hands are properly elevated. These effects would be exacerbated by a poor typing posture however.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 16:12:59 »
Feels great to me, It's all personal preference.  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014