Author Topic: AEK vs AEKII spacebar stabilizer - please help!  (Read 5991 times)

Offline mog_genius88

AEK vs AEKII spacebar stabilizer - please help!
« on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 17:15:59 »
I have a full set of AEK keycaps and AEKII keycaps but I didn't realize that the stabilizers for the spacebars were slightly different!

* Here you can see the AEKII spacebar on the left and the AEK on the right. I have 2 stabilizers for them but you can see that they are slightly different in height: (http://i.imgur.com/u52Ld7b.jpg)

* A shot from a different angle. Once again the AEK II is on the left. You can see that the AEKII insert is slightly lower: (http://i.imgur.com/y0eSugA.jpg)

Would really appreciate if an alps expert could tell me which wire goes to which one. I'm supposed to ship the AEK keyset out on Monday but I have no way to test :-(

Thanks in advance!

Offline jbondeson

Re: AEK vs AEKII spacebar stabilizer - please help!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:30:48 »
Well that's different.

I just popped an AEK and AEKII and they were both the same height.  :-\

The short one should go with the AEK since it sits deeper and closer to where the inserts will sit on the plate.

It would be interesting to know what the mfg date and location on the AEK that came from is.

EDIT: Misread which was right and left.

Scratch all that. I went and found one of my SKCM Orange AEKs and the short one goes with the AEKII, the long with the AEK.

The Older AEKs plates sit deeper.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:37:28 by jbondeson »

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:42:15 »
If anyone's curious the AEK with SKCM Orange that has the longer/deeper stabilizer is a 138,XXX serial no, while the AEK with SKCM Salmon and the same size shorter/shallower stabilizer as the AEKII was a 8XX,XXX serial no.

EDIT:

Also, they changed the location of the inserts for the plate, which is likely another reason it's deeper. The old AEKs have the inserts on the top side of the keycap, while the newer AEKs and AEKII bottom side. So if you're giving this to someone to use on a new plate, they're going to probably have to get new inserts and wire.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:46:23 by jbondeson »

Offline mog_genius88

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:49:03 »
Well that's different.

I just popped an AEK and AEKII and they were both the same height.  :-\

The short one should go with the AEK since it sits deeper and closer to where the inserts will sit on the plate.

It would be interesting to know what the mfg date and location on the AEK that came from is.

EDIT: Misread which was right and left.

Scratch all that. I went and found one of my SKCM Orange AEKs and the short one goes with the AEKII, the long with the AEK.

The Older AEKs plates sit deeper.

Thank you SO much for that information. Was exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate it ! :-)

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:55:41 »
Thank you SO much for that information. Was exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate it ! :-)

:thumb:

Lord knows I have enough vintage Apple keyboards laying around that if I couldn't answer that I would be shocked. Always fun to run around pulling caps to figure stuff out  :))

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 08:18:39 »
If anyone's curious the AEK with SKCM Orange that has the longer/deeper stabilizer is a 138,XXX serial no, while the AEK with SKCM Salmon and the same size shorter/shallower stabilizer as the AEKII was a 8XX,XXX serial no.

EDIT:

Also, they changed the location of the inserts for the plate, which is likely another reason it's deeper. The old AEKs have the inserts on the top side of the keycap, while the newer AEKs and AEKII bottom side. So if you're giving this to someone to use on a new plate, they're going to probably have to get new inserts and wire.

I didn't know there are two variants of AEK space bar, could you post pic of older AEK plate? I'd like to know location of inserts on plate so that I can update my 60% AEK plate design to support both of those space bars.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.0

Offline lvanderbeck

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 21:56:51 »

EDIT:

I didn't know there are two variants of AEK space bar, could you post pic of older AEK plate? I'd like to know location of inserts on plate so that I can update my 60% AEK plate design to support both of those space bars.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.0

Did you ever get this picture? I can send you one since I have run into a similar issue while building my Alps64

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 22:13:30 »
no I didn't. post pic here plz.
thank you

Offline lvanderbeck

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 14:20:01 »
no I didn't. post pic here plz.
thank you