Author Topic: Bladerunner 2049: have you seen it?  (Read 5310 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Bladerunner 2049: have you seen it?
« on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 17:46:41 »
I wanna see teh new bladerunner movie. But I am afraid I'll commit suicide out of disappointment when I actually do.

The original was... interesting story but quite bad production actually, fx and acting wise.

It has a 8+ rating on imdb... DOES IT REFLECT?

PLIEZ no spoiler alerts..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Lepidus

Re: Bladerunner 2049: have you seen it?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:07:07 »
Its really nice, you wont be disappointed.

I didn't like the first movie tho, even tho the book is probably one of my favorites.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:10:04 »
Its really nice, you wont be disappointed.

I didn't like the first movie tho, even tho the book is probably one of my favorites.

Going there this or next week, hopefully.

I didn't like Harrison Ford as main actor, even though I found the story intriguing.

Offline nonah

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:10:39 »
I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:27:08 »
were the female robots at least super attractive ?

that's pretty much my only criteria for movies these days.

you're not going to tell me a story i haven't heard..  So it's all about the presentation.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:31:49 »
Bad fx? It was made in the 80s man. And yes, the new one is great. See it.
keyboards.

Offline Nick109

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 01:07:22 »
Not yet, but I want so much to see it!!  ;D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 02:44:50 »
I have seen it and discussed it at length in other forums. I also build/collect prop replicas and have discussed the props in the film a lot as well.

Blade Runner 2049 is a worthy successor to the original. The story is engaging. The imagery is good and the cinematographer will probably get an Oscar for it. It is the most important movie for sci-fi lovers this year.
You should go and see it!

But I would not raise it up and say that it is a masterpiece. I think some points could have been told better or differently only to speed it up. It is 2h 44min long -- longer than it needs to be.
I think that the theatrical release could well have been shorter without being worse - and then they could have released an extended edition on BluRay/DVD later. To compare, the original was just under two hours - and people think that it is too slow and too long.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 02:56:31 »
I have seen it and discussed it at length in other forums. I also build/collect prop replicas and have discussed the props in the film a lot as well.

Blade Runner 2049 is a worthy successor to the original. The story is engaging. The imagery is good and the cinematographer will probably get an Oscar for it. It is the most important movie for sci-fi lovers this year.
You should go and see it!

But I would not raise it up and say that it is a masterpiece. I think some points could have been told better or differently only to speed it up. It is 2h 44min long -- longer than it needs to be.
I think that the theatrical release could well have been shorter without being worse - and then they could have released an extended edition on BluRay/DVD later. To compare, the original was just under two hours - and people think that it is too slow and too long.

Well shoot, guess I might actually go see a movie in theaters then

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 03:06:08 »
Seen last saturday in 3D and I would highly recommend this very version. It doesn't make objects fly to your nose, rather it makes everything in perspective. It was amazing.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 05:55:27 »
If you are going to see it in 3D then do choose a laser IMAX 3D theatre, but then the cost of the ticket could be higher than the BluRay later on and you must get a seat right in the middle or the image is skewed.

It is completely enjoyable in 2D. I would recommend seeing it in a really big theatre with a 4K 2D projector with a good sound system over any kind of 3D.
3D obscures detail while higher resolution improves it, and this is a movie with a lot of detail everywhere.
I wish it was high framerate though.

Edit: I have heard that the movie is kind'a OK in "DolbyVision" 3D. "Fake IMAX"/"Lie-MAX" is bad. The worst choice would be 2K/"Real D". Real D is crap, even in 4K/HFR.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 October 2017, 07:33:17 by Findecanor »

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 13:13:58 »
I ****ing loved this movie!

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 13:29:36 »
Movie was fantastic in IMAX, really enjoyed it. As someone who loved the original, I was really disappointed when I heard they were going to create a sequel because I felt it would probably ruin the original, it did not. Though, I really wish they at least mentioned Roy once or twice...

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 13:41:16 »
I saw the 2D version on opening day.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  The only movie I've seen in white a while where I could have happily turned around, walked back in, and watched it again.

The night before I watched the original US theatrical version just for something different.  I'd only ever seen the Final Cut before.  (Still like the Final Cut better.)  I'm glad I re-watched the original as it reminded me of some of the details and helped bridge the two films a little better.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 21:05:09 »
I have not seen it but have read somewhere that there is more background detail on how the dystopian future depicted in the movie works.

The original was one of the classic scifi movies back in the days when many movies like that were classics.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 11:29:16 »
I need to go there! WHY DONT I HAVE TIME FOR IT.

Still no spoilers on 9gag. This week was a good week.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 12:32:53 »
Don't watch any trailers or read any reviews. There are much too many spoilers out there.

For instance, I did not read the review on Ars Technica until after I had seen the movie, but it made me angry. Reviewers had got a list of things that they had been asked not to divulge. But that review contained almost everything else that happened in the movie. And that is far from the only one that I have seen that have contained a lot of spoilers.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 13:14:26 »
Don't watch any trailers or read any reviews. There are much too many spoilers out there.

For instance, I did not read the review on Ars Technica until after I had seen the movie, but it made me angry. Reviewers had got a list of things that they had been asked not to divulge. But that review contained almost everything else that happened in the movie. And that is far from the only one that I have seen that have contained a lot of spoilers.

Thanks, I'll probably watch it on Saturday or Sunday. Tomorrow is my drinking-after-release-to-production-day.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 14:13:06 »
There are three official short prequel films to Blade Runner 2049.

The problem when trying to remain spoiler-free is that most of the uploads of these contain images from the feature film before or after.
I have posted these here, with a starting time where they actually start. Do not rewind to the beginning or you will see a short trailer for the feature film.

1. Black Out 2022. (only spoiler-free upload I've found)
2. 2036: Nexus Dawn
3. 2048: Nowhere to Run.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:01:17 »

+1

They provided a few useful backstory details (especially Blackout).

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:09:41 »

The problem when trying to remain spoiler-free is that most of the uploads of these contain images from the feature film before or after.
I have posted these here, with a starting time where they actually start. Do not rewind to the beginning or you will see a short trailer for the feature film.

1. Black Out 2022. (only spoiler-free upload I've found)
2. 2036: Nexus Dawn
3. 2048: Nowhere to Run.

Thanks! I have only watched the original Bladerunner movie so far (and of course other cyberpunk stuff).

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:12:22 »
I just downloaded the old one (legally of course) to refresh before I go see the new one.  :D

Offline _cramil

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:18:58 »
Seen last saturday in 3D and I would highly recommend this very version. It doesn't make objects fly to your nose, rather it makes everything in perspective. It was amazing.

I agree with this sentiment regarding the 3D version. Nothing crazy overdone for the sake of 3D stuff. I saw it in RPX Real D 3D and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 06:52:39 »
I have seen it. It was a GREAT movie, great cyberpunk atmosphere. Also really great music that is different from other music in that genre.

However... it left me with more questions then answers.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 07:36:34 »
I have seen it. It was a GREAT movie, great cyberpunk atmosphere. Also really great music that is different from other music in that genre.

However... it left me with more questions then answers.

As all great sci-fi should.

Btw I tried watching the “domestic cut” of the original Bladerunner with a Harrison Ford voiceover, man, was it rough. Please avoid and stick with the Final Cut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 09:25:19 »
I grew up on the voice-over version ... so for me that feels like the true version, even if the voice-over is a bit cringey at times. In that movie, it is not spelled out that Deckard is a replicant, and I always assumed that he was a human. According to the voice-over, he was divorced, which may or may have not been an implanted memory.

I read the shooting script the other day.  The script has voice-over at Roy Batty's death - which is where many people dislike it the most, and at the end in the spinner (car) when he is driving/flying away with Rachael.
But those are the only two moments where there is voice-over, and both voice-overs are different from the theatrical version.
There are many other small differences, mostly small nuances in dialogue. Roy Batty's death takes longer and is painful.  He also does not hold a pigeon - it merely lands on his shoulder and then takes off at the moment of death.
In the script, the movie ends with Gaff showing up in a spinner in pursuit of Deckard and Rachael.
Edit: Found video of Batty's original death with the original voice-over.

While Deckard is a replicant in the Director's cut and the Final Cut, and where it is ambiguous in the shooting script and theatrical releases, he is definitely a human in the book which it was based on: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
I do applaud the choice of keeping it unspecified in Blade Runner 2049.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:19:40 by Findecanor »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 09:59:30 »
So I saw the first hour and a half I think? Wife ended up getting sick so we had to leave, but we both were loving it.

SPOILER (Maybe):
More
We left when Mariette went to K's apartment for the first time, and Joi was about to 'become' her.

The cinematography was incredible, as was the audio (saw it in IMAX). Trying to figure out when to go back and see it in it's entirety.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:45:35 »

he is definitely a human in the book which it was based on: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

People who are interested should certainly read the book - classic mid-period **** paranoid conspiracy fantasy and altogether different from the movie in look, mood, and feel.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 13:36:36 »
I grew up on the voice-over version ... so for me that feels like the true version, even if the voice-over is a bit cringey at times. In that movie, it is not spelled out that Deckard is a replicant, and I always assumed that he was a human. According to the voice-over, he was divorced, which may or may have not been an implanted memory.

I read the shooting script the other day.  The script has voice-over at Roy Batty's death - which is where many people dislike it the most, and at the end in the spinner (car) when he is driving/flying away with Rachael.
But those are the only two moments where there is voice-over, and both voice-overs are different from the theatrical version.
There are many other small differences, mostly small nuances in dialogue. Roy Batty's death takes longer and is painful.  He also does not hold a pigeon - it merely lands on his shoulder and then takes off at the moment of death.
In the script, the movie ends with Gaff showing up in a spinner in pursuit of Deckard and Rachael.
Edit: Found video of Batty's original death with the original voice-over.

While Deckard is a replicant in the Director's cut and the Final Cut, and where it is ambiguous in the shooting script and theatrical releases, he is definitely a human in the book which it was based on: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
I do applaud the choice of keeping it unspecified in Blade Runner 2049.

Spoiler alert:
More
It felt somewhat like a plot twist.. like here you have this guy that just doesn't want to deal with a society that uses replicants to do the dirty work. But then he himself actually is a replicant as well. You know, like they portray Deckard with his "extra human side", the music on the stage, the whiskey, the dog. Feels a bit like the Matrix ship.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 13:39:54 »

he is definitely a human in the book which it was based on: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

People who are interested should certainly read the book - classic mid-period **** paranoid conspiracy fantasy and altogether different from the movie in look, mood, and feel.

Even though I am genuinely intrigued by the genre as I truly believe we are headed towards a cyberpunk world, most of the books left me disappointed so far: shallow plots, shallow character development. I always think books are BETTER then movies that are based on those books. But for cyberpunk I have yet to find really great literature, but perhaps I just haven't read enough of it.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 18:06:34 »

Even though I am genuinely intrigued by the genre as I truly believe we are headed towards a cyberpunk world, most of the books left me disappointed so far: shallow plots, shallow character development. I always think books are BETTER then movies that are based on those books. But for cyberpunk I have yet to find really great literature, but perhaps I just haven't read enough of it.

Don't make this out as me attacking you because it's not, but if you don't see it out there you should make some if you have time. Could be fun

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 19:04:56 »
I find Harrison Ford really annoying as an actor so I'm only luke warm on the original Blade Runner.

The new one was pretty good. Certainly when there are so many middling movies at the cinema right now. The pace felt a little leaden to me though if they'd chopped a couple of minutes out of it here and there would have done it some good IMO.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 04:36:48 »

Don't make this out as me attacking you because it's not, but if you don't see it out there you should make some if you have time. Could be fun

What are you saying.. that I should MAKE / WRITE cyberpunk basically?

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 05:08:56 »

Yea, totally. If you're worried no one will read it, I'm down. I'll be your first fan

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 08:47:02 »

Even though I am genuinely intrigued by the genre as I truly believe we are headed towards a cyberpunk world,

most of the books left me disappointed so far: shallow plots, shallow character development.

Cyberpunk and steampunk are both fascinating literary styling/function/concept milieus that have never seemed to gel properly entirely on their own, either on the page or on the screen.

I don't think that I have ever read a really great book that is commonly placed in either genre, partly because of what you mentioned above, but mostly because science fiction has already "been there and done that" so many times, and so much better. There are literally hundreds of books that have sat on the science fiction shelves for decades that were in fact, although not in name, exemplars of these "new" genres. Film, which might seem to be a more friendly vehicle, has generally been disappointing, too, although there have been some successes.

The space faring voyager landing on the planet with a slightly pre- or post-Industrial Revolution level of technology has been a stock in trade since the beginning. Also, for me personally, the fact that magic is so prevalent in mainstream steampunk often makes it boring, because it usually seems like it is a plot crutch that weakens the story rather than strengthens it. One successful but very strange advanced example might be “Perdido Street Station” by Mieville.

If I had to pick a single favorite steampunk book, it would probably be “Leviathan” by Westerfeld because he managed to weave the conceptualization of a steampunk into a larger narrative. Much more interesting to me is something like Alastair Reynolds’ “Terminal World” with its “technology gradients” wherein there is a “steampunk” band among numerous others.

Drawing a line between cyberpunk and science fiction is very difficult, if not impossible. Almost as soon as the idea of humanoid robots was introduced, the merging and intermingling of meat intelligence and machine intelligence has been a very common theme, or at least undercurrent, of many, if not most, stories set in the future. Do the Terminator and Matrix movies fall inside or outside of this category?

Picking my favorite book, commonly considered as a mainstay in this genre, I would probably select “Snow Crash” by Stephenson, but which is already showing its age. Somewhat tangential but far more advanced, I would again give a nod to Reynolds and his magnificent “Revelation Space” where all the lines are blurred, and additionally there is a huge ancient mysterious non-living “system” which has ill intentions towards pretty much all living intelligence.

And it is hard to believe that this is almost 20 years old now:

https://www.wired.com/2000/04/joy-2/
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2017, 08:48:44 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 12:11:32 »
I just pre-ordered BladeRunner 2049 on UHD BluRay, the limited edition with whisky glasses. Bought it for the whisky glasses - shaped like those Deckard drank from in the original movie. I don't have a UHD-capable BluRay player (yet).

I find Harrison Ford really annoying as an actor so I'm only luke warm on the original Blade Runner.
I think he was good at playing a troubled man in Blade Runner. Pretty much down on his luck, probably depressed. Once you are in that mindset, the way he delivers the voice-over makes sense.
At the end does he find a way out of his misery, through his love with Rachael.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2017, 12:19:56 by Findecanor »

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 12:41:13 »
I just pre-ordered BladeRunner 2049 on UHD BluRay, the limited edition with whisky glasses. Bought it for the whisky glasses - shaped like those Deckard drank from in the original movie. I don't have a UHD-capable BluRay player (yet).

I think he was good at playing a troubled man in Blade Runner. Pretty much down on his luck, probably depressed. Once you are in that mindset, the way he delivers the voice-over makes sense.

When you said whiskey glasses, for some reason I thought glasses that enabled to simulate how you would see when you were drunk (inaccurately.)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:33:58 »

Yea, totally. If you're worried no one will read it, I'm down. I'll be your first fan

Thinking about it... but where do I get the time **sigh**. I already have so much to do professionally and so many hobbies...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:35:35 »

Even though I am genuinely intrigued by the genre as I truly believe we are headed towards a cyberpunk world,

most of the books left me disappointed so far: shallow plots, shallow character development.

Cyberpunk and steampunk are both fascinating literary styling/function/concept milieus that have never seemed to gel properly entirely on their own, either on the page or on the screen.

I don't think that I have ever read a really great book that is commonly placed in either genre, partly because of what you mentioned above, but mostly because science fiction has already "been there and done that" so many times, and so much better. There are literally hundreds of books that have sat on the science fiction shelves for decades that were in fact, although not in name, exemplars of these "new" genres. Film, which might seem to be a more friendly vehicle, has generally been disappointing, too, although there have been some successes.

The space faring voyager landing on the planet with a slightly pre- or post-Industrial Revolution level of technology has been a stock in trade since the beginning. Also, for me personally, the fact that magic is so prevalent in mainstream steampunk often makes it boring, because it usually seems like it is a plot crutch that weakens the story rather than strengthens it. One successful but very strange advanced example might be “Perdido Street Station” by Mieville.

If I had to pick a single favorite steampunk book, it would probably be “Leviathan” by Westerfeld because he managed to weave the conceptualization of a steampunk into a larger narrative. Much more interesting to me is something like Alastair Reynolds’ “Terminal World” with its “technology gradients” wherein there is a “steampunk” band among numerous others.

Drawing a line between cyberpunk and science fiction is very difficult, if not impossible. Almost as soon as the idea of humanoid robots was introduced, the merging and intermingling of meat intelligence and machine intelligence has been a very common theme, or at least undercurrent, of many, if not most, stories set in the future. Do the Terminator and Matrix movies fall inside or outside of this category?

Picking my favorite book, commonly considered as a mainstay in this genre, I would probably select “Snow Crash” by Stephenson, but which is already showing its age. Somewhat tangential but far more advanced, I would again give a nod to Reynolds and his magnificent “Revelation Space” where all the lines are blurred, and additionally there is a huge ancient mysterious non-living “system” which has ill intentions towards pretty much all living intelligence.

And it is hard to believe that this is almost 20 years old now:

https://www.wired.com/2000/04/joy-2/

Let's put it differently then: if you were to suggest SF books with a "cyberpunk" or post-apocalyptic dystopian technological society element, what would it be?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:36:16 »

When you said whiskey glasses, for some reason I thought glasses that enabled to simulate how you would see when you were drunk (inaccurately.)

Would be cool if those were to exist.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 09:24:38 »

SF books with a "cyberpunk" or post-apocalyptic dystopian technological society element, what would it be?

Yes, traditionally any book set in the future was, by definition, science fiction.

That blanket designation has become inadequate, in my opinion. A few decades ago we talked about "hard" science fiction = space travel, aliens, very high technology versus "soft" science fiction which was set in the future but where the real emphasis was psychological and/or social, often with less technology involved.

Modern literature really needs a few better and more descriptive genres or definitions. For example, what was once a sub-genre of science fiction casually referred to as "near-future dystopia" has blossomed into a huge field of its own that is significantly divorced from traditional science fiction.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 12:06:43 »
A few decades ago we talked about "hard" science fiction = space travel, aliens, very high technology versus "soft" science fiction which was set in the future but where the real emphasis was psychological and/or social, often with less technology involved.
No, I think you got that wrong.
Hard science fiction: The condition of the universe is different from what we know in one or a few very important aspects and the important things in the story is how that impacts society. It is often about the big life questions.

Soft science fiction: Set in space / future, whatever. Aliens and high technology are largely taken for granted and provide mostly a setting for the story - not what the story is about.

Most space operas, such as Flash Gordon, Star Wars and a whole lot of Star Trek (but not all) are soft.
An episode of Star Trek or Stargate SG1 episode could perhaps delve into a "hard" question, but only for that episode and is not making a big deal out of it in the grand scheme of things.
Babylon 5, on the other hand - was ultimately about good and evil, order vs chaos, design vs. evolution - told over five seasons and the whole series would therefore be considered to be "harder" science fiction even if individual episodes most of the time were pretty soft.