Author Topic: How did you learn to use Vim?  (Read 16116 times)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
How did you learn to use Vim?
« on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 22:44:53 »
I'm having a very hard time learning Vim, so I was curious if anyone knew any way for me to learn without feeling like I'm being hit by a bus  :p

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
Re: How did you learn to use Vim?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 22:59:42 »
Prepare to be repeatedly ran over by that bus, for a few weeks -or- just quit now!

There is no easy way to learn. Persistence is key. You are remapping the way your brain works, it takes time.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:09:39 »
For me, it didn't stick until I just started practicing keystrokes over and over. You just have to drill them into your brain by actually typing them repeatedly. Reading about them won't help--going through the motions will.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:34:43 »
I was using vi on Unix systems many years ago.

Then when Linux was invented and I started using it, somehow I got on to elvis (another vi clone).

Then I dabbled with FreeBSD, which has more like the original vi.

Now I generally use CentOS 6/7 and Debian 8, which include vim.

Mostly I just use vim as if it was elvis or vi.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline toneman77

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 09:53:16 »
I'm having a very hard time learning Vim, so I was curious if anyone knew any way for me to learn without feeling like I'm being hit by a bus 
Try the command vimtutor in the command line and/or http://vim-adventures.com/ both helped me a lot.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 06:57:31 »
Vimtutor is a great call, and I have heard good things about interactive sites like vim-adventures.com, but the best tool I found while learning was videos. The ones I liked best (it was a while ago, so there may be better ones out there now) were by Derek Wyatt. I enjoyed his presentation style, and it helped me to see Vim in action, rather than just reading about it.

Offline osi

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 07:09:13 »
Another vote for vimtutor here. Also, if you are throw into a situation where vi/vim is your editor, you can learn fairly quickly :D

Offline vkulla

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 19:29:02 »
I learned the basics really quick with a little game:
http://vim-adventures.com/

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 20:10:10 »
I tried and failed a couple of times to "get into" vim before finding vimtutor. It did the trick of getting me over the initial hump. Nine years later, can't use anything else.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 20:23:11 »
Using it, the only way to learn. I doubt you'll really lose *that* much productivity starting with hjkl and two modes (insert and visual). At that point it's identical to Notepad.

Add stuff on top slowly, like w, e, and b for navigating through words, and start looking into selections and copy/paste.

Once you're comfortable with that, look up how to do things when you have the need to.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 21:05:54 »
Vimtutor, like everyone else.

Now the real question is, how did I re-learn Vim when I switched to Dvorak?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 21:06:46 »

By becoming a masochist?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 01:42:30 »
Too hard for me, I gave up in less than 2 hours.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 02:09:08 »

Everyone else?

I didn't :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kittenpolice

• mods are asleep, post logitech
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 02:16:51 »
A friend of mine swears by Practical Vim by Drew Neil. I can't vouch for it, but it's on my list of books I'm going to read this year.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 02:49:22 »
Too hard for me, I gave up in less than 2 hours.

i think i got about as far before getting frustrated.  i think i'm too old to learn new (well, vi is rather old) tricks.

maybe i'll try this vimtutor sometime.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline frarees

• ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ WANGERZ
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 04:05:30 »
Struggled for weeks before I jumped into vi modes. Learning curve is quite big for what I'm used to see on text editing, as it represents a new (old?) paradigma I wasn't used to.

Found this guy's post interesting. He talks his experience, some plugins he uses on vim and how important and personal vimrc is.

The change didn't happened until I decided to actually use vim for small edits, then started using it to write small programs. After several days using it I found it quite natural, and I don't feel like going back. You start with a few commands basic commands (e.g. dw, gg, r, C...) and as you go you find out more interesting ones that fit with your usage (e.g. ciw, viB were some good ones in my case). It was worth the change for sure :thumb:

Good luck!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 04:36:12 »
There's a sort of intro here: https://www.linuxvoice.com/learn-to-love-vim/

Not really a tutorial, according to Mike, but seems to give a reasonable overview of lots of vim's features.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 07:26:05 »

Everyone else?

I didn't
Rowdy I thought you wrote Vim.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 07:47:52 »
I read "Learning the Vi and Vim Editors" (O'reilly, Robins et al.) cover-to-cover. And I forced myself to use vim exclusively, even when it became frustrating.

Took me a week to get the basics in my muscle memory up to the point that I didn't really had to think about them. With basics, I mean hjkl for navigation, dd to delete line, motions, text objects, etc.

The more advanced stuff like customization and vimscript took me a month or so to become and feel comfortable with (what plugins, when NOT to use plugins, personal .vimrc, etc.).

But honestly, you keep learning new stuff with vim or getting new preferences. And now I'm curious about emacs / spacemacs.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:01:01 »
i didn't

nano best editor
KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 04:44:34 »

Everyone else?

I didn't
Rowdy I thought you wrote Vim.

I have written a few editors in my time, but nothing like vim.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 05:48:17 »
i didn't

nano best editor

nano? for real? what about mcedit?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 05:57:04 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 07:18:21 »

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 14:48:26 »
how did I learn? Oh, a little bird taught me how  :))
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline mr67volks

• GAO!!!
    • the sweetie bot
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 01:26:20 »
I tried my hand at webhosting and needed to figure out how to edit configs fast in a  command line interface
www.sweetiebot.org

Dell AT101w x3 Alps Black | AT101 / 61 Custom into a 60% MOD ( WIP ) | Poker ii MX Blues (My EVA 01) | KBT Pure MX blacks | MC QFR mx blues w/ Frosty Flake

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 04:19:12 »
vim is heaven. vim rules! (and emacs rules)

Are there any other editors around that have the power of either vim or emacs?

Offline iri

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 05:43:28 »

Are there any other editors around that have the power of spacemacs?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 05:44:17 »

Spacemacs is nice. Makes me want to learn elisp.

Offline iri

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 05:54:26 »

Everyone else?

I didn't :p
I did :p

Also, I printed the cheat sheet and hanged it on the wall near my monitors.

Also, a series of brilliant articles in Russia.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 05:56:20 »
I must say that now I grok vim and now spacemacs exist, I think vim is a springboard to dive into emacs.

First you learn vim, then you move onto spacemacs and discover what a nice OS emacs is and then you switch to emacs with personal config and personal elisp so that you can have your favorite editor with vim bindings in every app in your OS.

Though spacemacs really IS slower than vim in my experience..

Offline iri

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:01:30 »

Soon Neovim shall rise and you'll be able to use your favourite programming language with it.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:18:33 »

Soon Neovim shall rise and you'll be able to use your favourite programming language with it.

(Attachment Link)

Neovim is quite awesome. Now only if there would be native support for something better then vimscript.

Offline iri

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 07:47:03 »

(Attachment Link)

Neovim is quite awesome. Now only if there would be native support for something better then vimscript.
Oh, but there is native support for Lua. And why would you need native support when you can use any language which has an implementation of msgpack-rpc?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 07:56:23 »

(Attachment Link)

Oh, but there is native support for Lua. And why would you need native support when you can use any language which has an implementation of msgpack-rpc?

msgpack-rpc? But that would require to have, for instance, a python instance running alongside and python communication with neovim via msgpack-rpc amirite?

Offline iri

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 07:59:23 »

(Attachment Link)

msgpack-rpc? But that would require to have, for instance, a python instance running alongside and python communication with neovim via msgpack-rpc amirite?
Yes.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 08:11:36 »

(Attachment Link)

Yes.

That's pretty cool. I should look into that. Though I always had the feeling that native vimscript is faster then relying on such communication. But I could be entirely wrong of course.

Offline iri

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 08:32:55 »
For trivial tasks like moving cursor inside the buffer you won't notice the difference on a modern machine. For computation intensive tasks you'd better go with languages other than VimL :p

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 09:14:13 »
For trivial tasks like moving cursor inside the buffer you won't notice the difference on a modern machine. For computation intensive tasks you'd better go with languages other than VimL :p

I tried to go hardcore with viml and learn it. I program in many languages and I can quickly learn a language when necessary (and API's). But viml? viml is a b*tch. The legacy, the abbreviations. It makes Perl look nice in comparison. I HATE viml. But yeah... if you're in love with vim there is no way out. Except for there is now with neovim..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:44:50 »
This seems to be the most recent Vim thread.

Version 8 is coming ...

https://github.com/vim/vim/blob/master/runtime/doc/version8.txt

Who's excited?

Offline iri

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 04:13:24 »

Version 8 is coming ...

Who's excited?
Nope =)

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:48:58 »

Version 8 is coming ...

Who's excited?

I'm f**king excited. Cannot wait for it to come out. (Seriously)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 17:31:06 »
Here's quite a good basic command cheat sheet:

https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/04/19/vim-commands-cheat-sheet/

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:35:51 »

Cool, didn't knew that one.

But I think that people need to understand the concept of "motions" and "text objects" and "quantifiers" like "3dw" (3 times delete word) first, to put cheat sheets more in context. I know that I confused all of them initially.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 01:00:37 »

Cool, didn't knew that one.

But I think that people need to understand the concept of "motions" and "text objects" and "quantifiers" like "3dw" (3 times delete word) first, to put cheat sheets more in context. I know that I confused all of them initially.

I kind of worked that out intuitively and use that sort of functionality all the times.  Sometimes, depending on the size of the file, it is quicker for me to do that than work out the search/replace syntax.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 18:19:14 »
Found this recently: http://www.openvim.com/