Author Topic: GMMK Keyboard - PBT Key Caps  (Read 5644 times)

Offline gokufire

GMMK Keyboard - PBT Key Caps
« on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 00:38:45 »
Hi,
I'm new over here. I was wondering if someone could help me.
I just ordered my first mechanical keyboard, a GMMK barebones. It is a RGB keyboard. Doing some reading it looks that PBT keys would be the way to go.
Now talking about my preference. I was thinking to set up a two color keyboard. Purple and White. I really like the caps from Ducky One White & Green: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2610
I was thinking in something like it, of course changing the green for purple and with some capability to extract the benefits to use the a RGB keyboard. The fonts are very enjoyable on this set in my opinion.
I looked a few sites and believe that I'm lost. I really don't know where to look at it. I don't want to waste money with things that are low quality or even doing mistakes (buying keys that doesn't fit).
Please advice.
Thanks

Offline psiclone

Re: GMMK Keyboard - PBT Key Caps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 12:29:45 »
I have the same board.  I highly recommend not spending $100+ on your keycaps.  I bought some from Amazon and Banggood and Aliexpress.  None were above $20-$30ish.  All were PBT and shinethrough.  There is some delay in delivery in most options, but the $$ you save you can spend elsewhere.  You may or may not find that you get some light shining through your keycaps, but unless you're just after underlighting, what you've selected isn't really going to take advantage of the lighting on your keyboard.  That may be OK with you...just pointing it out.

You should, however, make sure you're ordering a set of keycaps that have a standard bottom row.  The spacebar should be 6.25u.

This is what you're keyboard's bottom row uses:
(1.25)(1.25(1.25)(6.25)(1.25)(1.25)(1.25)(1.25)

Here's an example of what mine is like:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45475.msg2494237#msg2494237

What switches are you using?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 November 2017, 12:31:16 by psiclone »

Offline gokufire

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 17:50:20 »
Thank you for replying Psiclone!

I ordered some PBT, Cherry profile caps and looking forward to receive it. Didn't spend more than $70. I'll post here the final result. It is a Varmilo set. 

Now I'm looking for switches. My wife can't stand with the noise so I need to be very careful picking the right ones. I plan to use it most often to play FFXIV. So the number keys are my concern. 

I got a tester from Novelkeys and right now I'm like this:

- For the numbers
Cherry RGB Silent Red or Gateron RGB Silent Red ... Didn't like the Kailh RGB BOX Red (too noise for my tasty)

- For most part of the keys
Cherry RGB Silent Brown or Gateron RGB Silent Brown or Kailh Purple (liked the tactile in this key beside the little noise, didn't have the chance to try the others mentioned here)

- For ESC, Enter, Spacebar and some others (maybe backspace) that I like to use with more weight
Kailh Speed Dark Yellow or Zealio 67g or Cherry RGB Silent Black or Gateron Silent Black

Just sharing... once more thanks for hop in.

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 November 2017, 18:13:15 by gokufire »

Offline gokufire

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 23:04:47 »
<deleted>
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 November 2017, 23:07:09 by gokufire »