Author Topic: Okay, another seldom topic:keyboard trays  (Read 11651 times)

Offline typo

Okay, another seldom topic:keyboard trays
« on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 10:53:35 »
I find them to be an outstanding ergonomic device. You can place your board and mouse where you need it, as to avoid injury. Your chair cannot always provide what these do,

They all have one fatal flaw that is a deal breaker for me. They rock and bounce. On a Mech board it sucks. This is by their very nature. 8+" of board on either side bolted to a 4" square control arm. They should figure out how to make it rock solid. AS it is of great importance but I simply cannot deal with that.

I use a fixed tray that is securely held by a track on both sides of 3/4" walnut. Of course it is not adjustable a million ways but it is much lower and in front of the desk. You could stand on it.

You guy's use one? Which one? does it move? Or where else do you place your keyboard when typing?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Okay, another seldom topic:keyboard trays
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 10:58:17 »
My biggest issue with the trays is their height. Often times I find that they're too low, and I can't comfortably fold my legs under the desk or anything. They also force me to sit further away from the desk, which defeats the purpose of having freed desk space. Again, these are my personal experiences with them. I'd love to see some examples of keyboard trays that people actually enjoy.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:04:42 »
Those reasons as well. Great idea but flawed. They do adjust up but still block your legs. So add that, thanks. I see in the desk setup photo thread almost no one uses one. Their are obviously reasons. Some of which we both just mentioned. I am sure there are more negatives. Most important thing in this regard is your chair is a good height.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:29:36 »
I find keyboard trays too low and it gets in the way of lots of things, I had a moveable one that was MDF, the rails were pretty rattly so it wasn't pleasant.
I rotate my chair a lot (Large L Desk) to the other side of the table and constantly rotate back to my computer, the tray when extended gets in the way of me doing that and I have to retract it and extend it every time...

No good for me, good idea but flawed, like typo said.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:44:59 »
Some day, I'll get an Ergotron WorkFit-S.

For now, I simply have a shelf at my ghetto standing desk.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:57:06 »
Currently making my own desk to have one, fixed height and no metal rails so it doesn't rattle.

I'm making a desk with one because I like placing my keyboard on my lap and the trackball/mouse is preventing me from doing that all the time. I thought about getting one of those "couch gaming supports" to use at a desk but it wouldn't fit between the chairs arms.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 12:19:11 »
Some day, I'll get an Ergotron WorkFit-S.

For now, I simply have a shelf at my ghetto standing desk.

Ergotron makes awesome gear
I use a ergotron lx Monitor arm daily and it’s bloody brilliant.
Best $100 I spent.
Winter is coming.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 12:27:02 »
Ironically, I have an LX arm too (paid only $50 though), but don't use it anymore, as it's the Ergotron's flimsiest product line and a simple stand is sturdier (mine is from Ergotron too).

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 13:05:45 »
An idea I've had for building my own desk would be to use thick wood but cut out a depression for the keyboard to sit in. Actually, the depression would be a rectangular hole and the bottom would be sheet metal screwed into the bottom of the wood.

Here's another solution:

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 13:50:52 »
I’ve been using trays for several years and find them essential for the way I use my keyboard. I find that the comfortable desk height for most functions is too high for the proper keyboard height. I use CompX brand hardware with custom trays and find them very sturdy and at around $70 pretty affordable. It has about a foot of travel and tilts and raises easily. A large knob beneath it secures its position and it really stays put.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 14:09:34 »
I am not a fan of the adjustable trays for the reasons noted above.  I just bought a desk with a pullout tray that is built like a drawer with a fold down front.  It was designed to be very sturdy and it is very shallow in height.  I looked at several options after measuring the top of my legs while having my chair in the correct postion and me at a neutral 90 deg. bend in the arm and bought the desk that fit my specs.  As noted above as well, this did put the monitor a little further away, but nothing a quick boost in magnification couldn't fix. (I have removed the monitor stand since taking this picture for a more neutral center of monitor as well).

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 19:31:08 »
I am not a fan of the adjustable trays for the reasons noted above.  I just bought a desk with a pullout tray that is built like a drawer with a fold down front.  It was designed to be very sturdy and it is very shallow in height.  I looked at several options after measuring the top of my legs while having my chair in the correct postion and me at a neutral 90 deg. bend in the arm and bought the desk that fit my specs.  As noted above as well, this did put the monitor a little further away, but nothing a quick boost in magnification couldn't fix. (I have removed the monitor stand since taking this picture for a more neutral center of monitor as well).

Show Image

Too smallz.. u n33d m0ar monitor ..

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:05:39 »

Show Image

Too smallz.. u n33d m0ar monitor ..
I agree.  But first I need more gpu.  Not going over 1440p until I have more than my gtx 970.  I tend to run 2 gen. behind on gpu to keep the cost down.  I will probably won't upgrade for a while since my current setup play most games that I play pretty solid (100+ fps for D3 and Overwatch with low AA).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 04:47:45 »
I have a tray with rails on each side holding a 3/4" piece of solid Walnut. I could probably stand on it. I do not know why almost all of the trays simply have the one glide in the center. Plus springs for articulation. They wobble like crazy. With a Mech board and stiff switches, bad news. Sure it does not articulate but it is built to what I require. I suggest to go to A big box hardware store and get what I have. You will need two small boards to hang from the desk at the height you want the rails. Then drill them into the bottom of the desk. Honestly quicker to do than custom trays too. I simply cannot stand the wobbling and junk palm rest. I also use a custom palm rest with it. Built it all myself with Router etc. As some of you are handy as well I highly suggest this route. Like 3M,Humanscale,Fellowes are something I cannot possibly make use of. What I made suits my needs perfectly and you can build it too. What is important to me is it does not move... a lot. Tilting is not necessary if it is at the right to begin with. Of course maybe no one else can use it. Measure carefully if you build anything!

Overclock 970 with Asus Tweak and it will smoke Titan XP stock! I am getting 14,000 on passmark. 2100 clock, 9100 memory at just a small voltage boost. Of course if you kill it please do not blame me! Not all cards will hit it. This was a high end version of the card. Bigger deal to me is 10bpc.

Offline yellowedplastic

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 08:40:19 »
They all have one fatal flaw that is a deal breaker for me. They rock and bounce. On a Mech board it sucks. This is by their very nature. 8+" of board on either side bolted to a 4" square control arm. They should figure out how to make it rock solid. AS it is of great importance but I simply cannot deal with that.
Those exist. When I worked for the guvamint, they would use some that locked into place very solidly. They cost as much as a decent desk, however, if memory serves.

You guy's use one? Which one? does it move? Or where else do you place your keyboard when typing?
At work, no, because I would need an adjustable height desk, first (one could be set in front, which some people do, but that creates its own problems with space). At home, I have a fixed-height desk, which has a cutout above the tray, and has limited height adjustment by way of screws in the thick steel brackets it is attached with. The tray is also 1.5" MDF.

If the desk is your own personal property, just mod it, IMO. You shouldn't need any special tools, or great technical know-how to affix a tray to the structure, where adjustment is done by way of shims, washers, metal channel, or other such things. For a slide-out, I'd try making one with quality rack rails, instead of drawer rails.

Offline typo

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 02:59:12 »
The arms on a single track that are solid do not have all of those articulations. which is exactly why they are solid. Unless those guv ones did. without the articulations it kind defeats there very purpose. I am fine personally. For others I would suggest to buy a desk with a tray with rails on each side that is at a height that is good for you. with most of them for most sized people you can pick any 29-29-1/2" desk at the top with the tray under it. Then adjust your chair. or if you want to keep your current desk, Fellowes makes an inexpensive plastic one on dual rails but it is pretty solid. Compared to a $400 Knol or humanscale. It is like $40. The best bet is to do as I did and build a tray. My tray has a heavy steel rail on each side. 3/4" Walnut for the platform. It has but one articulation I engineered for my needs It will raise 8-1/2" above the 29-1/2" desk. I did this simply by extending it with straight screw bars on each side and a spring that snaps into place, moving a small piece of metal on each side to keep it put. My legs at the proper height in the chair will not fit under a 29-1/2" desk but at 38" I am good. It is not crudely made but it only has one position as to maintain the rigidity I prefer. It is all that articulation that has play in the arm causing the shaking. Plus the trays tend to be flimsy .2" steel vs. my 3/4" Walnut. Most people will not need the height extension so this is pretty easy to make. Or purchase the Fellowes unit which is a "drawer" and has rails on both sides but is not nearly as solid as a desk with a MDF Drawer. Of course neither of them have the structural integrity of something you build yourself. Depending what exactly you build. The issue with these is they are one size. it should certainly fit you whatever yo do but someone else perhaps not. If you use a Mech keyboard(duh) the articulated center track units are pretty going to suck no matter what they are. Perhaps other than the one mentioned above. BTW, Yellow do you remember what brand they were? Usually GSA purchases are much cheaper. It is interesting to see what your item is really worth if you have access to GSA. I highly recommend against single track articulated arms. Fixed trays are fine, even pull out as we are discussing here. What I do suggest is a monitor arm. Crouching is very bad for you and only happens because of the distance to the display. Or just move it to the front of your table/desk. There is also the Envelop desk by Herman miller but it starts at $900. Plus I think my solution works much better for me, If you want to have a laugh check out the Herman Miller "Distil". All these design companies offer little for a lot. Nothing great quality IMO. Just expensive. Desks, certainly build yourself custom if you are able to. What I built works flawlessly for me. IMO far superior to single track options.

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 06:46:42 »
I had a question for you guy's. I see two kinds of videos involving keyboard trays. Some with the tray touching the chairs arm rests and in the persons lap. Mainly Woman but plenty of Men as well. Then I see others where the people have about 4-6" past their knee caps under the tray. Plus these people also have the tray raised 2-6" above their lap. just rough estimates from watching many videos. Since I do have a "tray" of sorts I am quite happy with I was interested in what is the proper position. I think this boils down to how tall one is. Hence more woman pulling it so close. Myself, at 7'3"+ I am about 2' away from the tray and it is about 2" above my knees simply because the gas cylinder is at 27". I imagine this is probably correct for my size? If I pulled it all the way in my hands would be 3 feet past the keyboard!

Also, If I remember correctly you are not supposed to use armrests while typing/mousing or rest your palms? That is good because I need to remove these darn armrests on a chair that is too small but I like. I see people doing both but those that are I understand are doing it wrong.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 07:06:15 »
Given your special requirements, custom solutions are sometimes the only solution. Could you post a picture of your tray? I'm especially interested in your height modification and it could be helpful for others with similar  needs.

I checked out the Distal and am not quite sure what to think of it. I'm sometimes a fan of Scandinavian design, at times being pleasantly surprised by their practical solutions in furniture ergonomics. I withhold final judgement without trying it out, but suspect it more of a gimmick than anything. It may work well for some types but I can imagine retrieving a lot of papers and other items that accidentally  fall to the floor. Call me old fashioned but I like a desk with a mostly level top. Preventing forearms from digging into "sharp" table edges may be better prevented by adjusting the chair height, saving valuable desktop real estate for coffee cups and fidget spinners.

I don't have any problem with the firmness of my single arm tray hardware. I wonder if it has to do with the trays narrow width and my arms utilizing the armrests on my chair for support? I think it could support at least 100 pounds without noticeable deflection. Since I don't use it as an anvil stand for my forging work, it has worked well for me

Yes. I am a armrest user. I find it quite comfortable and a great aid to my typing. I have modified my armrests to be about double normal size and super padded them for comfort. Absolutely no negative side effects after several years of use.

You will be the best judge of proper keyboard positioning for you. Textbook rules are: forearms level or slightly below,upper arms straight down, wrists tilted slightly down.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 07:15:54 »
It's not really that uncommon for a a desk to have a sloped front is it?
The office at my last job had desks with a slanted and rounded front and it was pretty comfortable, not has steep an angle has the Distil and only on the front tho. And not that expensive either.

I think it's more for writing than for typing.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 08:16:51 »
It's not really that uncommon for a a desk to have a sloped front is it?
The office at my last job had desks with a slanted and rounded front and it was pretty comfortable, not has steep an angle has the Distil and only on the front tho. And not that expensive either.

I think it's more for writing than for typing.
in both scenarios you are gonna use your main hand a lot, so I can see this be a practical solution
Winter is coming.

Offline typo

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 12:37:49 »
I posted a pic somewhere else here in my own thread. I think I had Oak then but same thing just switched to Walnut. The HM Embody I love even though I am too large for it. Still use it anyways. It is not, I would say well constructed but it works fantastic for those that dig it. HM stuff is not so big on quality honestly. Just looks and function. That is why I am weary of the Distil. You can get something similar at Ikea for $200-ish. The only reason I say that is because you are likely to have unglued veneer etc. I would absolutely pay that if their stuff was more durable. You would expect $3,500 to stay together at least 25 years. Like the Embody has sharp edges all over, creaks like mad etc. Still great imo. I think the Aeron or Mirra are probably by far their best built products. My light, led blew out from them. They sent a new board not even asking for proof of purchase. Their CS is top notch. I just expect better value as in it lasts longer. The chair I could not fault personally as I am beyond it's specs but others report the same. Plus reach under armrest riser and get cut. That seems kind of absurd for the money. As well as $469 light burns out in less than a year. So just guessing with them and that curve the veneer is likely to come up. I could not say for sure but I would bet on it. Oh, in the Pic you can also see my custom palm rest I CNC routed. Just search my name and it is in the last 10-15 posts. You wil know which one when you see the title. I think it was regarding the custom palm rest I built.

Yes, perfect. My arms bend 90 degrees at my sides 3' from the edge of the tray. No way I am putting that in my lap. Others are obviously shorter in those videos. Plus my legs would be smashed in the wall. My post about the footrest had put me above 29-1/2" so no go there. I am not complaining, many people have much worse issues and I know that. Monitor on an arm makes a big difference. Otherwise it would be a mile from me. I am about 15" from 2 32" monitors. I see okay but just prefer that. No longer the issues of crt's. Armrests okay maybe. I would not crouch.

Here: Currently Walnut and modified Topre RGB/GMK.
You can see the hinge that rises it in the back righthand corner

Edit The Distil is really not a computer table. Still, I compare their often times quality versus price and come up short. I still really like and buy HM stuff. It is all in the function. They are not much for what people consider "quality". That does not bother me. You can get a better built desk at Staples, Ikea but it will sorely lack the ingenuity behind HM's products. Depends if you value functionality over "quality". Quality is a broad term but it encompasses a lot wrong with HM's products. I do not mind because I am solely concerned with functionality. YMMV and if you are looking for heirloom furniture you are looking in the wrong place. These are "tools" to do a job and in that respect function flawlessly. Now, if anyone is in the market for a high end computer table it is not the Distil but the Envelop. Designed for computer use and simply excels at it. Not even messing with tray's. I prefer the tray and exactly what I built. In a one, sometimes Two man workshop outfitted with high end machinery I can faithfully turn out much better "quality" products for myself than HM can. In most cases HM can easily beat me at functionality. Nonetheless I prefer my setup. These things are all subjective both in taste and proper function for a given individual. Still, if buying a high end desk is what you wish to do the Envelop is top notch in functionality. Humanscale specializes more in very good high end accessories but their keyboard still has a lot of unwanted movement. Even though it is probably the best of it's ilk. HM more in high end seating and surfaces. I find that all the other "engineered" based companies are a little lower end. Which is often reflected in their price. If they are still having the Holiday sale I am about to close this page and proceed to make a large purchase from them. Their "quality" does not deter me. I buy it for the huge amount of R&D that goes into each piece by top design engineers. Well to spill the beans I think I will get another Embody and the Eames lounge with footrest. If the sale is over I shall pass for now.

One thing despite what you read everywhere, if you get and Embody get the Rhythm. Truth is the difference in thickness is negligible. They vent about the same. However, contrary to what you may read everywhere the Rhythm is considerable more durable. Same double rubs but the Balance face fabric is Pantyhose thin and with the holes can snag easily. Just look at used ones on the Auction site. If you have animals for sure absolutely forget it. Even if they are well behaved their nails will get caught. They will then panic resulting in the fabric being disemboweled. They do sell replacement fabric. Expensive and very laborious to install.

As far as a desk build your own to your specifications is best. Otherwise I would buy a dual rail keyboard drawer(as they are called) to retrofit your current desk. Otherwise desks with this feature tend to be inexpensive but rarely solid hardwood or even veneer. Vinyl covering usually. Even so, I would avoid the articulated single track keyboard "systems". Especially if using a mechanical keyboard. They are like typing on a trampoline. you can see the first version of what I built below.

You can see the hinge that allows it to extend out and up in front right corner. it extends to clear the table on a second set of rollers cut down to 4" and then the mechanism I described above allowes it to rise about 8.5" above the table. For an average person it could very well be a sit stand.

There is no way it is in my lap. I am 3' from it's edge. Avery small person might be on top of any of these solution. my arms are exactly right because I made measurements before I built this. Fully extended it is about 4" above my legs. I do not like a tray in my lap either even if I were of regular size.

I am currently using another desk, same thing only Walnut instead of Oak. Currently using lubed, o-ringed Topre RGB with a GMK set and Logitech MX903.

Sorry for such a long post. I hope I have provided useful information to someone.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 December 2017, 22:43:18 by typo »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 05:04:17 »
Can we get a photo from another angle? preferably the side of it? Where we can see this articulation you talk here?

The best bet is to do as I did and build a tray. My tray has a heavy steel rail on each side. 3/4" Walnut for the platform. It has but one articulation I engineered for my needs It will raise 8-1/2" above the 29-1/2" desk. I did this simply by extending it with straight screw bars on each side and a spring that snaps into place, moving a small piece of metal on each side to keep it put. My legs at the proper height in the chair will not fit under a 29-1/2" desk but at 38" I am good. It is not crudely made but it only has one position as to maintain the rigidity I prefer.

Not really getting how it's made, a picture would help. :)

Offline typo

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 21:17:03 »
You are too late! Got something even better and that brought up to the barn loft. I have an office up there, other rooms plus the usual feed storage. it was simply extended with two straight 1/2" wide by 12" long brackets. Like an "L" bracket but straight. on each side a stiff spring went from the tray end of the bracket to the trays standard sliding bracket. it of course would pull out to clear the table but then snap right back due to the springs. so I lifted it which allowed a small piece of metal like plumbers strap that was sliding in the track to snap into place thus not allowing it to retract. then I would push hard on the palm rest to overcome the force of the little metal pieces which would cause the tray to snap down and then I could retract under the table as normal. it was really crude which is what sent me looking. if one needs a tray for lower height than the desk I maintain that the fixed type found most often on cheaper desks are best. although fellowes and some others sell add on trays of this type but they tend to be plastic even though I feel they are still better than a $400 articulating job. solely due to the bouncing involved with those. I want my surface solid.

so I went to a furniture showroom I frequent. I found a sit stand, electric with rolled desk edge that will stop at any height within it's range. the big deal was it had one of these types of trays out of birch, it is all birch veneer. I do not know if that was added or stock. not often found on a sit stand. this is perfect for my needs. so I said, larry how much? he said I believe that is knoll, $4,500. I was bummed not going to spend that on a table. he said let me look it up to be sure. oh, that is used you can have it for $450! All set. it will be delivered late this week. That worked out very good for me as trips there often do. It was in very good condition too. what I had rigged you honestly do not need to see. It was les than optimal. If you are of standard height I would suggest to just get something along the lines of what I mentioned above. Either as a complete desk, OD has a nice glass one better than vinyl on mdf. Or one of the fixed trays by the likes of Fellowes to add to an existing desk. Or anything that does not have all that articulation which has to be loose causing the bounce. Unless you are tall enough or do not mind to type on a 29-29-1/2" desk/table. A center arm is fine just not with all that articulation. The bonus is it is also going to be much less money most likely. There are also some monitor arms with fixed keyboard trays that only slide up/down. For me that is keyboard too close to the display though. I change things all the time. People here a long time probably realize that. I like furniture/Ergonomics showrooms if you have not noticed. Like I went from that Deck to a Realforce RGB lubed and o-ringed with a GMK set and an MX903. Funny I hated that series of mice and now I cannot stand the 500 series. Yeah, I change my mind a lot. I like to build things too and have an outfitted shop. If I am working on the clock I best get paid. For myself, Family,Friends I do not mind to do that stuff. I am getting older, I imagine eventually I will not be doing everything. Although you will not believe this at all but I swear I know a man who is 102 that goes to work everyday. Every good person should be blessed with such luck.

I am about tired of the Embody but not HM's fault. I am much too big for it. I got another plus, yes the Distil of all things on their Holiday sale. My current Embody is just loose as a goose most likely due to my size. It is literally about to fall off of the gas cylinder and I do not want to get hurt. I personally think the Embody is the best ever and prefer HM mostly but Humanscale is good to along with others. It is just a darn shame I am way above the 98th. percentile which is it's maximum. Also reasonable I represent a small population. It would be cool if they made like an NBA version! I suck at BB though which is kind of ironic. I mean I could just walk up and place it through the net but the game does not exactly work that way. Okay, too much information. My bad.

Offline typo

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 17:46:05 »
Not what you wanted to see, but some interesting pictures. Most of those center rail trays, their big feature is ingress.  look at photo "1" Now look at photo "2"! Now look at "proper arm reach". I am pretty much in the exact same position she is in back against the chair 3' from my fixed tray/drawer. Furthermore have a look at "slouch" which is exactly what the HM Envelop is designed to do for you. Are we to believe Orthopedic surgeons or furniture manufacturers? Honestly, I am confused. Which of these would you say is right and wrong? I am not being a smarty I really don't get it. Why would furniture manufactures of great prestige with items designed by engineers try to hurt us? For me the "fixed" shelf is best and now I just think it might be for everyone. It would have to be for a desk that fits you. Indecently or on purpose. So it may not work in a shift situation. Also if you are very tall or short you may wish to have it out of the way while performing other tasks. In those cases I feel an articulating tray may be convenient but still not ideal. I think the fixed flat surface at your proper arm height and length is the right way to go. Within reason, at least mount it higher as long as your feet are not off the floor. Your chair can do all of this already much better. Hence the first change Orthopedic surgeons suggest is the chair.  Which answers my foot rest question for myself! Although I am much too big for the chair I want to like. That is an entirely different story and my own (dumb) choice.

Illustrations follow:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 18:12:25 »
I never liked keyboard trays that did not feature room for the mouse.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline typo

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 00:05:08 »
Other than the bounce I prefer the mouse on same platform. The articulating mouse pods I do not care for but supposed to be more ergonomic.

Of course now I am intrigued by the Envelop as well. When I know darn well that actually promotes dangerous posture. How can HM, Humanscale and the likes have top Engineers designing these items saying they help promote proper posture? When it is very often clearly the opposite. I do think if you are average size and like it the Embody was the one thing they really got right. No standard foam chair is capable of supporting you in that manner. In regard to the Envelop if you watch the video, that may be comfortable but it will also make orthopedic surgeons even richer. Oddly, almost defeating the purpose of the Embody which it is supposed to be paired with. I much prefer a fixed tray that rolls under the desk on 2 rails to the Envelop or center mount tray tracks. Exactly what Badwrench has. BTW, if you would say what that is and where it was obtained I would appreciate it. What is with the front strip that tilts down? What function does that serve? Anyways that is what I feel is perfect and use something similar. I must get the Envelop out of my head. I needed the Distil like a hole in the head, after I bashed it yet. Ahh sales. A backup Embody was in order. I love it but am too large for it and will be needing that new one soon. I have to retrofit a 27" gas cylinder. My new, better desk will be nearly at normal standing position while I am sitting! Your feet should remain on the floor and not on a footrest either. Another dumb purchase. More money than brains!

Oh, I see that folds down exactly as you said but wonder what the purpose is of that. I assume that is Dynamat on the HD? Wonder what case that is? Would get the desk and case, stop spending $$$ on designer stuff that does not usually even suit my needs. Did I say I like the Embody chair though? LOL J/K.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 00:17:45 by typo »

Offline typo

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 01:08:40 »
I did not like the Envelop. Too low for me. Plus resting your whole arms on it was not for me and gets sweaty on that plastic. I just wondered something. I sit with my legs spread. I am not a Woman. Not to be dirty but a Man's skeleton is different. Woman have wider hips. Often a lady sits with her legs together. Although most men do not spread their legs as far as I do. Of course very few men are as tall as me. I never saw anyone else this tall sit. I do not know if that is ergonomically okay or not. My legs are not over the seat but all the way to the sides. I would not be comfortable otherwise. I just did not know if that is creating a problem.  Otherwise I am all set up.

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 09:04:06 »
DIY tray with heavy duty sliders is the way to go.

Offline typo

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 22:01:37 »
Yes, daskeybo my sentiments exactly. You will not get all the articulation but you will get something worthwhile instead. For $350+ those things are unusable to me.  You will not need the articulation either if you are building a custom desk or getting a sit stand. There is a very good prebuilt tray from HON however. It is only like $140. It just slides in and out from under the desk and height is semi permanently adjustable. It is not an Ergonomic tray but what we are speaking of. In case someone cannot build. Although if you could install this I imagine you could build one too. If you do it right it is the best setup I know of on a sit stand. Why would you want all that articulation standing anyways. A sit stand is still best even if you refuse to stand but you should. The Envelop turned out to be terrible for me. A lot of these design companies stuff is overdesigned. Just a plain piece of wood on two tracks works best I say. I like the Embody even though it is way overdesigned though. Nothing else gives you that kind of Lumbar support. Plus the seat is akin to what is in a top of the line Mercedes Benz. You must be at the right height, especially to use that. Unless you are building it one time forever sit stand is your best option. A good monitor has VESA so it should go on an arm. Most people are crouching for the monitor. The all plastic Fellowes version of the fixed tray sucks. You can build a perfect one in an hour. You will need the desk at the right height and commercial desks mostly are not for most people. So you build a desk if you are positive of the measurements or get a sit stand. You do not have to get an HM or Humanscale either. Those are all the same. Some on Amazon about $400 electric. I would only get electric. Cranking it would stink IMO. I got my used like new table and luckily id not have to build anything. It is exactly what I would build. a Sit stand table with full size cpu box, shelf for laser printer etc. and a fixed solid 2 track keyboard drawer. You only need that articulation if you cannot raise/lower the desk. much better to let the desk do the work. the highly articulated keyboard trays absolutely suck IMO. Not just the shaking which is way worse with a Mech keyboard but things moving when you don't want them to. Like mouse tray goes over the Num pad when you do not want it to because you bumped it. This is the way to go if you care about your posture. I cannot recommend the Embody because it is far from being from everyone. Actually Bodybilt, a traditional high end chair is more likely to fit more people. Of course the freedom chair too. Many choices but get the desk right first!