Author Topic: Lexmark M w/ Purple and Burgandy Keycaps  (Read 5022 times)

Offline matt-taco

Lexmark M w/ Purple and Burgandy Keycaps
« on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 20:21:29 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-IBM-M-keyboard-42H1292-/222733941297?

I asked the guy if they were original caps, he said he got it like that. They look really cool though.

edit:
After the seller responded, I said I wasn't interested it, just curious. I just got a response form him saying. "Don't worry about it, I doubt anyone will want to buy a keyboard this ugly. Thanks for the inquiry. Cheers" and I responded "same"
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 16:59:30 by matt-taco »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Lexmark M w/ Purple and Burgandy Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 20:58:25 »
They're just dyed caps.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:53:48 »
They're just dyed caps.

Looks to be so. Alphas look pretty nice

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 00:04:19 »
That is just spit ugly IMO, do you guys really like that?! XD
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 01:23:52 »

What's UGLY to us is probably someone's wet dream, so it will indeed sell on Flebay regardless of what we think  ;) .

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 06:24:57 »
I've seen much worse.

And I did a commission mod once for somebody who wanted purple and black for school colors.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 16:58:47 »

I have to agree with you, it is quite ugly, but unique nonetheless. Like they look cool, not anything I'd want though.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 21:16:33 »
Not my cup o' tea (and certainly not original)—but hey, whatever blows your skirt up, right?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 10:19:53 »
Ah my eyes!  :eek:  Any way to undo that mod?  :-\

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 19:29:18 »

LOL. You know how it with keebs, though: There's always somebody who thinks something's cool-looking. So we're fortunate that peeps like matt-taco are nice enough to take the time to post unusual things like this. Thanks, MT!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 07:32:37 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-IBM-M-keyboard-42H1292-/222733941297?
After the seller responded, I said I wasn't interested it, just curious. I just got a response form him saying. "Don't worry about it, I doubt anyone will want to buy a keyboard this ugly. Thanks for the inquiry. Cheers" and I responded "same"

Ha ha, it's actually pretty tasteful compared to some customizations I've seen on here. And it's otherwise in nice shape—clean feet, that's a good sign—and it has the more durable round cable.

I see a bid now... Looks like someone who likes purple will get a good working Model M for $45 shipped.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 09:01:52 »
I see a bid now... Looks like someone who likes purple will get a good working Model M for $45 shipped.
Uuummm, check out that shipping.  :eek:

This is going to go for some ridonkulous price in the end...still a day left.  :confused:

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 15:20:23 »
I've been considering building a Prince-themed Model M, so this is perfect!

I only wanted to see you laughing in the Purple Rain
Purple Rain

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 18:43:35 »

Purple Rain

I now approve of this mod.  :thumb:  RIP Prince--he was amazing.

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 01:08:45 »

Purple Rain

What's funny is that I'm old enough to remember Prince in his hey day, but I didn't appreciate him to the degree that he deserved back then.  I graduated high school in 1988, but it wasn't until his Super Bowl performance that his awesomeness dawned on me.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 01:38:33 »
Looks like someone who likes purple will get a good working Model M for $45 shipped.

Uuummm, check out that shipping.  :eek: ... This is going to go for some ridonkulous price in the end...still a day left.  :confused:

Meaning, the shipping's quite cheap ($10).

This would be great for a winery, too.

It wouldn't be quite as iffy if the logo weren't blue. They should've dyed that, too.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 09:03:49 »

Purple Rain

What's funny is that I'm old enough to remember Prince in his hey day, but I didn't appreciate him to the degree that he deserved back then.  I graduated high school in 1988, but it wasn't until his Super Bowl performance that his awesomeness dawned on me.
Me too, I graduated in 1991/2 (skipped kindergarten so I never exactly remember--I had just turn 16), so I remember the whole 'MJ vs Prince' thing in 3rd grade and how Weird Al stole the hearts of the public with his 'Eat It' parody of 'Beat It'.

Where I really learned of his musical prowess is when a local band I would cover at a local venue went on and on about him--even though all of the band members hailed from different musical influences.  And they would talk about the songs that were just amazing, so I listened to those songs more closely when they came on the radio.  Truly innovative.  And like MJ, the legacy stopped when they passed...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 09:04:58 »
Looks like someone who likes purple will get a good working Model M for $45 shipped.

Uuummm, check out that shipping.  :eek: ... This is going to go for some ridonkulous price in the end...still a day left.  :confused:

Meaning, the shipping's quite cheap ($10).

This would be great for a winery, too.

It wouldn't be quite as iffy if the logo weren't blue. They should've dyed that, too.
Strange, I'm showing shipping is $50+  :eek:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 01:42:55 »

Not from here:

183477-0

WA is right below us, though... Maybe he's using some shipping method that gets more expensive w/distance?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:42:14 »
THAT'S A NICE ONE! I LIKE THE WAY THE PURPLE KEYS LOOK. DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT WENT FOR TOO MUCH EITHER. DEFINITELY A GOOD BUY.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 19:33:58 »
THAT'S A NICE ONE! I LIKE THE WAY THE PURPLE KEYS LOOK. DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT WENT FOR TOO MUCH EITHER. DEFINITELY A GOOD BUY.

Sorry, didn't quite hear you... Could you say that again?  :?D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:16:57 »

Sorry, didn't quite hear you... Could you say that again?  :?D

NO. I WILL NOT SAY THAT AGAIN.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 17:52:29 »
[edited to remove annoying quoted text—you're welcome]
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 01:54:12 by ander »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 19:54:04 »

Dye the keys black.  Then you'd have blank black keys :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 07:00:01 »

Dye the keys black.  Then you'd have blank black keys

I have done that. There is always a residual tint from the 1st dye color and it never gets to a good black.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 11:57:47 »

Not from here:

(Attachment Link)

WA is right below us, though... Maybe he's using some shipping method that gets more expensive w/distance?
I saw that location too and was thinking that's why it was showing cheaper for you.  If he's using one that gets more expensive, that's normal, but his is increasing at an exponential rate vs linear.  :eek:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 11:59:55 »

Dye the keys black.  Then you'd have blank black keys

I have done that. There is always a residual tint from the 1st dye color and it never gets to a good black.

Doesn't unicomp make custom keycaps in black?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:57:19 »
Doesn't unicomp make custom keycaps in black?

They sell blank black keys, but black isn't a choice on their custom printed key page (though it's included in the graphic there), so I'm guessing they'd have to be blank. As you probably know, you can't dye-sub dark keys, and they don't have engraving technology.

Makes you wonder what they do on dark blue keys, though, which they do offer printed—pad printing? But if so, why not offer that with black too? You'd probably need to call them, and have someone there who could interpret deep Southern accents.

BTW, it's tough having OCD and ADD. You're always paying obsessive attention to things like this, but you can do it for only a few seconds till your mind wanders. So you have to become an ultra-fast typist, or

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:16:32 »
Interesting.  Unicomp will do a lot of things not even mentioned on their website.  I bought two sets of large print keycaps to make my parents big print Model Ms even though they didn't have the sets even listed on their website (my parents love them and their logitech finger trackballs--they can work without strain for hours).  I only found out about the big print caps from a picture or another keyboard offering that came with them.

They'll also replace barrel plates and re-seal the plastic welds--just like factory.  So no bolt modding needed, or if you messed yours up, just send it in and they'll put it back the way it was.  I like them peeps at Unicomp--thems is good folks.