Author Topic: Would ya'll buy TNG on 4K bluray  (Read 3570 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Would ya'll buy TNG on 4K bluray
« on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 21:42:37 »
It looks super good in the 1080p vanilla Bluray already..

But, I kind of want to see even m0ar foam board textures and plywood..

Thoughts ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Would ya'll buy TNG on 4K bluray
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 21:55:34 »
Star Track is boring though. Captain Enterprise has a cool voice, but it's basically a rip off of the Star Wars really.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 13:52:50 »
Star Trek > Star Wars

There's no contest...

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 14:21:30 »
What's a TNG?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 18:40:48 »
I have always been skeptical of "enhancements" that purport to give results above and beyond the quality of the original source.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:02:52 »
I have always been skeptical of "enhancements" that purport to give results above and beyond the quality of the original source.

8K is the drop off for film, and there's no limit to even bigger Digital frame sizes in the future.   we're only at 4k consumer home today..

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:45:07 »
8K is the drop off for film, and there's no limit to even bigger Digital frame sizes in the future.   we're only at 4k consumer home today..

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:47:01 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Coreda

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 03:51:32 »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 05:18:28 »
What's a TNG?

I think it's a Signature Plastics color code.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:30:17 »
I think it's a Signature Plastics color code.

Ah that makes sense. Is it similar to color TGG?

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 08:10:22 »

Wasn't 8k equivalent to 70mm film? I don't think television shows were shot on that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 08:16:13 »

Wasn't 8k equivalent to 70mm film? I don't think television shows were shot on that.

8k for 35mm... 

70mm we don't have to worry about, because no films were shot entirely in 70mm, only a small number of scenes per movie.

Going forward, I think wall size tvs will become the norm.. around 100- 120 inch ..

So, we're going to need anywhere between 8k and 16k for that..

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:58:25 »
70mm we don't have to worry about, because no films were shot entirely in 70mm, only a small number of scenes per movie.

There were films that were shot entirely in 70mm (if you're making the fine distinction between films shot in 65mm and printed on 70mm for projection, of which there are quite a number of classics, of those shot in actual 70mm the list is fewer). Lawrence of Arabia is one such, which I know had a 4K restoration (reduced from an 8K scan) that I'm hoping will be released as UHD soon.

There are some more modern films for Imax for example that do mix the film they've been shot on, and one reads leading up to release that it alternates to the 70mm (actually shot in 65mm) for certain parts.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 22:54:45 »
If a random homeless person on the mean streets would have stopped me to ask me the same question ages ago I would have say yes. But now, no, definitely not. I watch it in the original resolution like (the) god(s) intended.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 03:30:33 »
I think I recall that TNG had been filmed on 35 film, as had the effects but the effects had been composited in SD. So for the BluRay release of TNG, all effects shots were re-composited in "Full HD" resolution.
Have the effects shots been re-composited in "Ultra HD" again, or are the "4K Blurays" only upscaled Full HD content?

I think that all so called "4K UHD" BluRays are also encoded in "HDR" (higher dynamic range and a wide colour space).
Some people argue that HDR is a more significant improvement than higher resolution.
I would argue that what matters the most is bitrate -- but only after compensation for the overhead of the higher resolution.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 08:07:02 »
If a random homeless person on the mean streets would have stopped me to ask me the same question ages ago I would have say yes. But now, no, definitely not. I watch it in the original resolution like (the) god(s) intended.

It's God's Intention

that

The Next Generation

is seen in

The Original Resolution

??

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 08:10:54 »

It's God's Intention

that

The Next Generation

is seen in

The Original Resolution

??

No.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 08:17:34 »

No.

Well the only drawback is, the remaster from TNG vanilla to TNG bluray is an all digital process.

They shot most of the thing on crummy equipment with bad black level/ sensitivity.

So, overall, when they did the remaster, they went , fk-it , and just dropped the black-levels which introduced alot of crushed details.

It looks more vivid in color, but details were lost..

So, in this scenario,  the Original vanilla -has an advantage if we're talking detail-..

Although I still personally prefer the remaster..

Offline crystalhand

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 09:03:25 »
I am of the opinon that to much detail can be a bad thing.  For a show that was intended to be watched at 480 resolution going up to 4k is going to show all the ugly.  They never anticipated that level of detail being viewed by the consumer.  Sets that look decent in 1080 are going to appear comical.  All the prop makers mistakes and painted plumbing parts will be obvious.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:03:33 »
I'm actually rewatching TNG now. I only have series one at blu-ray quality though.

I would download the rest for sure  :-X
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:13:45 »

It's God's Intention

that

The Next Generation

is seen in

The Original Resolution

??

Do you want smite? That's how we get smote. But seriously, most of the show was recorded before production companies used 16:9 aspect ratio. How much photoshopping did they need to do to remaster in blu-ray?

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:03:39 »
What's a TNG?

Duh, it's Star Wars: The Next Generation
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:11:57 »

Now I'm confused, is it an SP color code or Star Wars? More research needed.  :rolleyes:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:25:30 »

Now I'm confused, is it an SP color code or Star Wars? More research needed.  :rolleyes:

Both, obviously. :rolleyes:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:30:23 »

Do you want smite? That's how we get smote. But seriously, most of the show was recorded before production companies used 16:9 aspect ratio. How much photoshopping did they need to do to remaster in blu-ray?

Much of the CGI was redone from scratch..

The on-set shots were mostly just light curve corrections..

In the original film, the pants looked grey,  but in the bray, it all looks black..

But then the counselor with black hair, you lose some detail there.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:57:33 »

This is the reason I wouldn't want it. I'd like to keep the original effects. I also like watching old shows in their original quality because it is part of the experience. I like pretending I'm watching it in 1993 again.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 12:11:10 »

But then the counselor with black hair, you lose some detail there.

:(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 16:04:31 »

This is the reason I wouldn't want it. I'd like to keep the original effects. I also like watching old shows in their original quality because it is part of the experience. I like pretending I'm watching it in 1993 again.

The effects are redone,  but given what's possible today,  The new effects still feel like 1993, but obviously better..