Author Topic: Any Love for Dan Carlin's Hardcore History?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
Any Love for Dan Carlin's Hardcore History?
« on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:12:42 »
Hardcore History is probably my favorite podcast by far. The fact that the episodes are so well researched and narrated means that I've listened to some of the series (wrath of the khans being my favorite) many times. They're awesome even if you're only casually interested in history. I'm curious what you guys think! Do you have a favorite episode or series? What about other podcast recommendations?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Any Love for Dan Carlin's Hardcore History?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:36:46 »
You should have posted this in 'other geeky stuff' posts in off topic don't count towards your post count.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:47:17 »
I've enjoyed them. Khans and Death Throes being my favorites. Ghosts and Blueprint also superb.

I prefer the more shorter one and a half hour format of the earlier series though as it's possible to play in one listen while still following the thread of that particular segment. By Blueprint for Armageddon they were getting to be 3 hour epics and now each is 4-5 hours (!). I've found this true of most podcasts in general, they usually gain their audience at a shorter length format and then progressively get longer over time.

Security Now is an example of a podcast I used to follow that I feel began to meander in focus a couple years ago (not how I feel about Carlin's podcast btw, a different observation). Was previously 1 hour to 1:30, sometimes 1:40-50 for some, then the upper range became the norm with episodes growing even longer to 2-2:30. There's only so much meat to fill an episode, and despite some episodes still being excellent I pretty much stopped listening which also had to do with Leo firing long-time panelist Dvorak over clock boy which was ridiculous as he was one of the sole reasons some tuned into some episodes of TWiT.

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:49:33 »
You should have posted this in 'other geeky stuff' posts in off topic don't count towards your post count.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haha thats not a big deal, I'm just listening to some now and wanted to pick some people brains and figured it would fit in off topic.

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:51:12 »
I've enjoyed them. Khans and Death Throes being my favorites. Ghosts and Blueprint also superb.

I prefer the more shorter one and a half hour format of the earlier series though as it's possible to play in one listen while still following the thread of that particular segment. By Blueprint for Armageddon they were getting to be 3 hour epics and now each is 4-5 hours (!). I've found this true of most podcasts in general, they usually gain their audience at a shorter length format and then progressively get longer over time.

Security Now is an example of a podcast I used to follow that I feel began to meander in focus a couple years ago (not how I feel about Carlin's podcast btw, a different observation). Was previously 1 hour to 1:30, sometimes 1:40-50 for some, then the upper range became the norm with episodes growing even longer to 2-2:30. There's only so much meat to fill an episode, and despite some episodes still being excellent I pretty much stopped listening which also had to do with Leo firing long-time panelist Dvorak over clock boy which was ridiculous as he was one of the sole reasons some tuned into some episodes of TWiT.

I'll have to check that out, or at least the beginning work before you think it lost focus. I do a lot of driving, so longer format podcasts are usually my go to.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 13:19:56 »
I'll have to check that out, or at least the beginning work before you think it lost focus. I do a lot of driving, so longer format podcasts are usually my go to.

I could see how that helps  ^-^. For something like Security Now which focuses on security topics the more recent episodes are probably the most timely tbh, though various episodes are 'evergreen' in relevance since they can be dedicated to a particular subject rather than just recent news. The two hosts are a good pairing and things are explained well.