Author Topic: Help with Colemak on HHKB  (Read 2864 times)

Offline monkt

Help with Colemak on HHKB
« on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 14:24:35 »
For any of you that use the Colemak layout on an HHKB, can you tell me what becomes of the Backspace that is normally in the Caps Lock position? Since the HHKB has Control in the typical Caps Lock spot, and has no top level Caps Lock key, how does a change to Colemak via the operating system get implemented, and how do you use Backspace?

Also, does using the Colemak layout change the location of the arrow keys, home, end, etc?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Help with Colemak on HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:13:47 »
On HHKB, the key to the left of A is Ctrl on keyboard firmware / USB HID protocol level, it sends the corresponding key code. If you want Backspace there, you have either replace the controller by hasu's and modify its firmware, or remap (in your operating system or in a hardware converter's firmware) left Ctrl to Backspace and another key (code) to Ctrl, so that you don't lose Control (no pun intended).

So, you can't get the Colemak Backspace feature on a HHKB easily, but I recommend switching to wide mod instead and the "unix" Backspace position right above ANSI Enter is quite nice then.

As for your other question, Colemak has nothing to do with arrow keys etc. There's the DreymaR's Extend mod, though, but it can't be that easily implemented on a HHKB either.

Offline monkt

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 11:54:48 »
I think I might like to try that wide mod. I hadn't seen that before, and I think it would make a lot of sense for me, so thank you for pointing it out. Unfortunately, it seems as if none of this, including having Backspace to the left of the letter A, would be easily done on the HHKB without adding the controller to make it programmable.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:31:54 »
In order to use the wide mod, you only need to download and "install" (depending on operating system) DreymaR's keymap. It helps to swap a couple of keycaps too, so that you have the home resting nib in the correct spot, but that's about it.

Moving Backspace or Control around is simply a matter of another keymap modification, but it doesn't make much sense on a presumably ANSI HHKB  (JP would be a different story).

A replacement (not additional) controller is necessary only if you need the changes to be stored persistently and want to change the position of Fn keys or modify the Fn layer.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 03:53:29 »
I use Colemak on an HHKB with a Hasu controller. Works great. I keep backspace on the caps lock position and ctrl on the bottom row. You can map caps lock to another layer if you still want it. The controller is very much worth having, especially as a Colemak user. I use my HHKB at work on several desktops which I don't have admin privileges for to install anything so it's great having it plug n play.

Offline monkt

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 11:35:08 »
I use Colemak on an HHKB with a Hasu controller. Works great. I keep backspace on the caps lock position and ctrl on the bottom row. You can map caps lock to another layer if you still want it. The controller is very much worth having, especially as a Colemak user. I use my HHKB at work on several desktops which I don't have admin privileges for to install anything so it's great having it plug n play.

This sounds ideal. Is the Hasu controller difficult to install and configure? From a quick look at another thread, it looks as if replacing the controller doesn't require soldering? Is that correct?

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 12:21:49 »

This sounds ideal. Is the Hasu controller difficult to install and configure? From a quick look at another thread, it looks as if replacing the controller doesn't require soldering? Is that correct?

Yeah that's correct. Really easy install with a screwdriver. And I configured it fairly easily without any prior knowledge of keyboard programming. Only issue is you lose the USB ports in the back of the board and are left with two holes which is a bit ugly. I covered mine with a bit of black plastic on the inside but a lot of people seem to use 3D printed plugs.

Offline monkt

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 13:51:50 »

Yeah that's correct. Really easy install with a screwdriver. And I configured it fairly easily without any prior knowledge of keyboard programming. Only issue is you lose the USB ports in the back of the board and are left with two holes which is a bit ugly. I covered mine with a bit of black plastic on the inside but a lot of people seem to use 3D printed plugs.

Ah, so the two usb ports are part of the HHKB's original controller? If so, I wonder if the Hasu controller has the added benefit of reducing the keyboard's power draw. From what I've seen, the stock HHKB has a very high power draw due to the included USB ports.

You don't happen to have a picture of what yours looks like with the holes, do you?

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 14:45:26 »

Ah, so the two usb ports are part of the HHKB's original controller? If so, I wonder if the Hasu controller has the added benefit of reducing the keyboard's power draw. From what I've seen, the stock HHKB has a very high power draw due to the included USB ports.

You don't happen to have a picture of what yours looks like with the holes, do you?

I don't know about the power draw, perhaps someone else can chime in on that. Mine has been Hasu'd since day one. Here's what my ports look like now, just used a strip of black plastic from some packaging to cover them.

192176-0

Offline monkt

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:05:55 »
That's a simple fix and doesn't look bad at all. I like it. Thanks!

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:12:55 »
That's a simple fix and doesn't look bad at all. I like it. Thanks!

No probs. Enjoy your HHKB!