Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 368860 times)

Offline Coloneljesus

Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS and ORTHOLINEAR)
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:59:43 »
I'm so ready for this piece Deutscher Präzisionsfertigung!

Offline pertain

« Reply #451 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:07:21 »
Still looks great to me! Good things come to those who wait.

Thanks for the great communication, and for demanding high quality.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #452 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:31:32 »
UPDATE!

TLDR;
The reason for the many delays is that the last samples showed fractures at the edges. A lot of testing with different alloys, radiuses, tool setups and material thickness had to be done. The issue is now resolved, we found the right recipe to avoid any fractures without altering the design too much. If you are not happy with the changes - pm me to cancel your order. It's also cheaper now.

The whole story:
First SORRY for the constant delays! Now let me explain to you why. I mentioned a few times before that I wanted to ensure that there won't be any quality issues when we go to production. Behind this was one specific issue that was very difficult to control. If you bend aluminium you sometimes get fractures at the edge. This wasn't happening with my first prototype and therefore I had no reason to believe this might become a problem. But the last samples (which you saw many pictures of) all had fractures at the edges. The reason none of you realized those fractures in the pictures is probably because of the file compression and also because the bead blasting reduces the effect to a certain extent. Regardless if you spot it or not - there is now way I would have ever been fine with this. The manufacturer first told me we would just have to use a different alloy but still the fractures appeared. I had to adapt the design a few times and the manufacturer tried different tooling. The most noticeable change that had to be made was to reduce the material thickness. 3mm was insanely thick for an object of this size. We tried 2.5mm but it was still too thick. 2mm thickness combined with a slightly bigger radius turned out to be good. Now maybe some of you will be disappointed and think that going from 3 to 2 mm is a bad thing but let me put this into perspective. Sheet metal enclosures for electronics of comparable size usually use a thickness of 0.5mm. Even bigger enclosures like PC cases go with 0.5mm, sometimes 1mm. Only very expensive PC cases use a thickness of 1.5mm but not 2mm. So with 2mm thickness at this small scale we are still at level overkill. The 3mm was just insane and with the knowledge I have now, I can say that 3mm would have only work when bending it over a huge radius - something that just doesn't fit in the design scale of a keyboard.

This gave me sleepless nights. At some point I thought I would have to cancel the whole damn GB but working on a solution turned out to be successful.
I hope you understand that this took time, especially because in between changes I had to wait an annoyingly long time for results. The manufacturer is jam-full of orders and my one is comparably insignificant.
So this was the reason why I had to delay the invoicing for so many times. Collecting the money before I'm not sure that all works out, is something I just wouldn't be comfortable with.

I made new renderings, illustrations and updated the links in the start post. The overall appearance is still the same imo. The frame is now 1mm wider on each side and the outer radius ended up slightly bigger. The weight of the finished build was a bit heavier than a poker3, now it will be roughly the same weight. I decided to make the frame a bit higher so now the caps sink in a bit deeper, while at the same time I managed to keep the very low height of the lowest row. IchiBalzac kindly sent me a PCB with hot-swap sockets. Now that I have all the dimensions I can say that even at the lowest 6 degree you won't have any problem fitting them in. You also have the freedom to use different sized standoffs or spacers to raise or even lower the plate further.

The sample is almost finished - just the bead-blasting and then the anodizing isn't done jet. I'll get it at the end of next week and can then make another build and pictures. After that the invoicing will start - for real this time!

If you feel that you don't want to participate in the GB anymore due to the changes, please pm me.

Last thing to mention is the new price point. The current order quantity (almost 170) combined with the slightly thinner aluminium make the following prices possible:
SKB60: 115€ (was before 128€)
SKB65: 125€ (was before 136€)
SKB75: 135€ (was before 145€)
Extra plate: 20€ (was before 25€)

Thank you very much for your understanding and patience!

This is how it looks now:

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Here is the whole album

I was wondering where that invoice was at. lol Sounds like those samples really helped! I have such a bad memory and it's been a bit, but could you possibly tell me what I put down for my order? lol I'm super hyped and wanted to make sure I chose the correct board. Thank you for revising and making sure everything is going to come out correctly for us!

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #453 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:42:30 »
I have such a bad memory and it's been a bit, but could you possibly tell me what I put down for my order? lol I'm super hyped and wanted to make sure I chose the correct board.

just checked, you chose one SKB60-WKL.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #454 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:43:54 »
I have such a bad memory and it's been a bit, but could you possibly tell me what I put down for my order? lol I'm super hyped and wanted to make sure I chose the correct board.

YES! Thanks again! Can't wait, it'll be my first WKL.

Offline feralfoo

• Software developer and mech keyboard nut
« Reply #455 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 11:43:54 »

Thanks for all your efforts with this GB, and I hope you don't mind another order question. Can you confirm if I chose the SKB60-YAS and YAS PCB? Could I also have another YAS PCB added to this?
HHKB Pro JP + Hasu controller, Realforce RF87U55G, G60 Retro, QK65

« Reply #456 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:09:22 »
Can you confirm if I chose the SKB60-YAS and YAS PCB? Could I also have another YAS PCB added to this?

Exactly, you have SKB60-YAS and YAS PCB. Of course you can add a second YAS-PCB if you like. Just fill out the form again with the complete order like I described here:

This still applies:
If you have already filled out the form and later want to change your version or add one, then please just fill it out again but with the complete order. So if you had ordered an HHKB version for example and you want a second one, then please don't add another order with ONE HHKB. Instead fill out the form with TWO HHKB orders. I can spot double entries and I will just delete your older form entries and just keep the last/youngest submission.

Will post an updated PDF with all orders soon, so everyone can check self.

« Reply #457 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:25:16 »
UPDATED ORDER LIST

See attached PDF.
Search with "Ctrl+F" or "Cmd+F" for your name.

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #458 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:31:03 »
I submitted a new google form to add more parts to my initial order and now i jumped from #2 to #131 ?  :'(

Is this really how it should work?

« Reply #459 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:38:02 »
yes, but it's just a number. it's not important - only if you had the "1"  :p
and even if hansichen should change or add something and therefore get a new number - I don't forget that he was the FIRST to place his order  ;)

Offline Data

« Reply #460 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:00:05 »
Dang, I'm #19.  Too slow!  I have dishonored my family.  :-[

Offline feralfoo

• Software developer and mech keyboard nut
« Reply #461 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 22:39:33 »
Exactly, you have SKB60-YAS and YAS PCB. Of course you can add a second YAS-PCB if you like. Just fill out the form again with the complete order like I described here:

Love your work, form re-filled with extra PCB :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 July 2018, 06:57:07 by feralfoo »
HHKB Pro JP + Hasu controller, Realforce RF87U55G, G60 Retro, QK65

Offline Draic

« Reply #462 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 16:49:42 »
yes, but it's just a number.

but still having missed being number 23 so close (I am no. 22) bums me out :( grats to lazerbeamspewpew though ... lucky bastard
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 July 2018, 17:28:46 by Draic »

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #463 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 00:02:01 »
I'm number 88. I hope this board brings me joy and good fortune hah.

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

« Reply #464 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 07:22:47 »
UPDATE

Got the sample Yesterday. YES, longer than expected - AGAIN! Finally everything is fine! Most rushed build I've ever done. Just took some quick pictures. Will be on a short holiday till next week. Then I'll start invoicing.

The plate for this sample is not galvanized cause they only do it when they get a lot. This is why you can see the reflections of the plate between the caps. With the black galvanized plate in GB production, the reflections won't appear.

Thanks so much for your patience!

More pictures...

Offline okidna

« Reply #465 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 10:37:50 »
UPDATE

Got the sample Yesterday. YES, longer than expected - AGAIN! Finally everything is fine! Most rushed build I've ever done. Just took some quick pictures. Will be on a short holiday till next week. Then I'll start invoicing.

Show Image

The plate for this sample is not galvanized cause they only do it when they get a lot. This is why you can see the reflections of the plate between the caps. With the black galvanized plate in GB production, the reflections won't appear.

More pictures...

Looking good :thumb: :thumb:

Enjoy your holiday!

Offline Coloneljesus

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 12:02:52 »
Was wondering why I didn't get an invoice yet :)

Consider me hyped.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #467 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 19:39:53 »
Was there ever a 75% sample made?

Also, does the sound change with the thinner material?

Offline macken

« Reply #468 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 03:48:14 »

Yes, what happened to the 75% sample?

I am also very interested in how the thinner material will affect the sound.

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #469 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 07:25:19 »
UPDATE

Show Image

More pictures...

Is it too late to join the GB? I just saw this and im interesed in a 75% :)

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #470 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 07:56:01 »

He hasn't closed order form yet, or at least has not made any statement about it yet

Link is in OP, or here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfck00yqTRs9U3AQNxV9sZ21PdrS6qyiWw3ef9NOHr-E72Ofw/viewform?usp=sf_link
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline typischt

« Reply #471 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 08:50:20 »

He hasn't closed order form yet, or at least has not made any statement about it yet

Link is in OP, or here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfck00yqTRs9U3AQNxV9sZ21PdrS6qyiWw3ef9NOHr-E72Ofw/viewform?usp=sf_link
I remember reading somewhere (either here or on Deskthority) that PlastikSchnittstelle said that as long as the form is open and you can fill it out, you will be part of the GB (since invoices will go out after the weekend or something).

« Reply #472 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 06:15:11 »

Yes, what happened to the 75% sample?

I am also very interested in how the thinner material will affect the sound.

The 75% sample:

Yes, you remember correctly, 75percent sample was planned. With the 75 sample we went through the problems with fractures. Had to adapt the design slightly for the 2mm thickness and before I sent the adapted data I had a sudden change of mind and went with 60YAS instead of 75.

The sound:

For the three builds I did with the 3mm thick version, I used only mx black type switches (cherry silent black lubed and stock and normal gateron black lubed)(the very first prototype before that was gateron black lubed as well). This way I could compare the switches and the effects of lubed vs stock and silent vs standard.
For this build - I’ve made a huge mistake, decided to go with ALIAZ SILENT SWITCHES. There is sooo much wrong with these switches, but that should go into a dedicated thread. They are nothing like linear switches also in terms of sound. I‘m so angry at myself for using these switches cause I knew they are flawed by design but I was curious anyway. Will desolder and trash them. You think you know so much about switches only from reading about them - but you only really know after you try for yourself.
So bottom line: sound is hard to compare with the different type switches. The felling I get is that the case doesn’t feel very different - still a sturdy metal case. Would still be the same if it was only 1.5 mm or even 1mm, below that I think the case wouldn’t be able to absorb the click clacks and start resonating like a sound instrument - but with the 2mm now, we are far from that. The most obvious to notice is that the final build is a bit lighter than the previous version. Will weigh it when I’m back.

Taking orders:

Yes, still taking orders. Only after I have collected at least 80% of the payment, I will place the final order so the production will start. That also means that until then I‘ll take orders, cause only then I need to name the final quantity numbers for each version. So if the order form isn‘t closed, you can place an order.

I‘m in Portugal right now and only have my phone with me. Painful to write this post on a mobile. So please understand that I’m not answering frequently while I’m here. Will be back by the end of next week. Then be able to write more again and do the invoices.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #473 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 07:02:25 »
Can't you swap the 60% hhkb build into the YAS case? Sure it'll look like **** but that should hardly affect the sound. That's probably the best comparisson that you can make at that point.

« Reply #474 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 07:40:23 »
Screw positions have slightly changed, but only moved a bit more outside so it could still work fitting the older version plate into the new case. Will try when I’m back. But desoldering a 60% isn’t a huge problem, would do it anyway.

Offline Coloneljesus

« Reply #475 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 11:05:13 »
Only after I have collected at least 80% of the payment, I will place the final order so the production will start.

Does that mean the invoices have been sent out? I haven't received one yet.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #476 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 11:25:21 »
No invoices yet
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

« Reply #477 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 07:32:02 »
exactly, not jet. just came back from holiday on friday. will do them next week. will not send them out all at once, so if you hear invoices are out but you haven't gotten one yet, be patient.

desoldered the YAS sample yesterday until late at night. took longer than expected. also lubed mx silent blacks. ready to rebuild in the next days.

« Reply #478 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 07:37:04 »
Just wanted to give you a last quick update before the invoices will be send out at the end of this week.

Like I promised, I desoldered the Gateron Aliaz silent switches and replaced them with lubed Cherry Silent Black switches. The 2nd build was done with cherry silent black switches as well, so now I'm able to compare the new 2mm thick case version against the older 3mm thick version. Regarding sound and typing feel, I have to say that I wouldn't be able to tell the two versions apart. This just affirms that with "2mm thickness at this small scale we are still at level overkill."

I would have expected that the lower weight would become more noticeable in some way but that is hardly the case. Holding the 2mm and 3mm versions in my hands I can hardly tell the difference. The 3mm version weighs 998g and the 2mm version weighs 849g - so the difference for the finished build is pretty small, just around 150g.

So in short I'm really happy and relieved to say, that going from 3 to 2mm doesn't take away the overall solid feeling and its characteristics.

Offline LordHellmchen

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 08:26:42 »
I'm currently in the process of getting a new mountainbike and I have very similar concerns there: weight of aluminium. Just in the opposite direction :) It's absurd how much more money one can spent to get less...

Back to topic: from the original milestones you planned to ship in September, I guess that will be more like Oktober now?

edit: and just to be clear - no issues with the delay. I'm super happy how that GB is running so far!
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 July 2018, 08:28:37 by LordHellmchen »

« Reply #480 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 08:57:05 »
Yes, you are right, will be October now. Can't believe it has already been taking sooo long. Will update the start post accordingly over the next days.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #481 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 22:26:11 »
Yes, you are right, will be October now. Can't believe it has already been taking sooo long. Will update the start post accordingly over the next days.

sometimes GBs just be like that
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ThomasTH

« Reply #482 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 00:18:00 »
Joined the GB yesterday last minute, hope i am still in :)

Excellent design, i really like it because it's so different then the CNC milled stuff we see every day and the price is really fair. The dope on case screws and black colour will be awesome with GMK Terminal imo

« Reply #483 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 04:52:56 »

yep, you are ;)

will take orders throughout the invoice/payment phase. maybe even after because I might round up some numbers and therefore will have a few extras to sell.

Offline ThomasTH

« Reply #484 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 12:12:06 »
Ok thanks - i just bought another one with JAS62 Layout and PCB :) gotta try something new  :))

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #485 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 10:53:12 »

yep, you are ;)

will take orders throughout the invoice/payment phase. maybe even after because I might round up some numbers and therefore will have a few extras to sell.

Planning to jump on board, looking at the 65% case, what MOQ are we at?

« Reply #486 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 11:39:13 »

we are at 160+
I just realized I haven't updated the pricing info in the start post yet, sorry will do soon.
this post mentions the current prices.

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #487 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 13:43:41 »

we are at 160+
I just realized I haven't updated the pricing info in the start post yet, sorry will do soon.
this post mentions the current prices.

Thanks!

In the skb65 would there be enough froom for a battery? (Thinking of building with the yd68... Bluetooth PCB. And idk if there will be about 5mm extra distance between the bottom of PCB and the bottom of case. :)

« Reply #488 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 15:22:56 »
In the skb65 would there be enough froom for a battery? (Thinking of building with the yd68... Bluetooth PCB. And idk if there will be about 5mm extra distance between the bottom of PCB and the bottom of case. :)

even at the lowest angle of 6degree there is enough space under the upper three rows to stuff something under that is 5mm or even a bit higher. what I assume would be a problem is the fact that this is a full metal case and therefore the bluetooth signal might have a problem getting out. there are areas on the underside and a small portion of the backside that are open for screw access. maybe that is enough for the bluetooth signal to escape. it depends where the antenna is located i guess.

no guarantee this works reliable with bluetooth!

also be aware that the YD68 PCB has upside down switch orientation. that means you will have a problem when using thick cherry profile keycaps, like 1.5mm pbt. on some rows the keycaps collide with the switch housing when bottoming out. for that reason I try to avoide PCBs that have the switches turned 180degree.

in this post you find some more 65% options.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 August 2018, 15:45:17 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Createx

« Reply #489 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 12:25:19 »
I think BT should work, with diminished range probably. I know that one of the BT boards KBDfans offers (DDmicro) actually comes with a downsized version of their 5degree case, so full aluminium. I bought the YD68BLE with this case in mind too, my travel version in a plastic case works beautifully at least :D

« Reply #490 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 16:35:05 »
Here is an updated order list.

« Reply #491 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 06:55:23 »
Hey,
I sent an email to all participants. just summing up the recent development and informing about the next steps. also the new 15€ international shipping option. hope it didn't land in your spam folder. I know from scott that his went to spam, he uses gmail, so if you use gmail, there is a very good chance the mail landed in your spam as well.
want to send the invoices out later this day or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 August 2018, 06:58:29 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #492 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 10:06:21 »
Is it too late to jump on board?

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #493 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 10:29:40 »
Yes, ended up in my spam as well with gmail, all the info looks good though.  Happy to see cheaper shipping!  Let's get these rolling  :thumb:
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline phal

« Reply #494 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 11:42:43 »
Arrived fine for me on Hotmail/Outlook.com :)

Offline Zuology

« Reply #495 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 12:08:07 »
Hey,
I sent an email to all participants. just summing up the recent development and informing about the next steps. also the new 15€ international shipping option. hope it didn't land in your spam folder. I know from scott that his went to spam, he uses gmail, so if you use gmail, there is a very good chance the mail landed in your spam as well.
want to send the invoices out later this day or tomorrow.

Gmail routed it into Spam folder for me too - thanks for the heads up!
More

« Reply #496 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 14:44:18 »

no absolutely not too late!
orders will be accepted as long as the payment phase is still ongoing OR as long as the google form is open, you can join.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (Invoices will go out shortly)
« Reply #497 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 17:30:25 »

orders will be accepted as long as the payment phase is still ongoing OR as long as the google form is open, you can join.
So theoretically, I could also change to the YAS layout? Or would I cause even more hassle for you? I‘m looking forward to mine either way!

« Reply #498 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 17:51:27 »
So theoretically, I could also change to the YAS layout? Or would I cause even more hassle for you? I‘m looking forward to mine either way!

yep, you can still change your order until i send out the invoices tomorrow(sunday).
for changing it, just fill out the form again. I will delete the older entry.

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #499 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 09:46:58 »

Great! I‘ve just placed my order.