Author Topic: AEKII Spacebar stabilizer  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Atrium

AEKII Spacebar stabilizer
« on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 02:28:39 »
While converting my AEKII to USB I lost what seems to be the Spacebar stabilizer.

It was a very small black cylinder, which on top had what looker like a rather small cherry-mx like stem. This cylinder connected to the Spacebar on the left side of the Alps Switch.

Now that it's missing the Spacebar feels very wobbly.

I am now completely lost and don't know what the best way to take is in my situation.

Is there anyway to just buy the missing piece, do I have to buy a donor board?

I would greatly appreciate every suggestion you might have.

Thank you in advance,

Atrium
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2018, 02:31:58 by Atrium »

Offline mattyisforlovers

Re: AEKII Spacebar stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 14:49:38 »
I went over to the Matias web store hoping they would have that part in their stabilizer set. They do not. :( https://matias.store/collections/keycaps-and-switches-1

The next thing I would suggest is scavenging another (maybe partial?) board. Yard sales,  eBay, ask around here, etc. Maybe this is a 3D printable part? Dunno how well it would stand up to the original, but i think it could potentially work.

Good luck

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 18:18:38 »
Simple you can't. That part is just a original part of the AEK. Only fix is to find the peace or buy the stabilizers from /MM or a whole new AEK to take the part from.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline debiatan

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 08:37:24 »
Something similar to what the OP reports happened to me yesterday. I've misplaced the cylinder that stabilizes the spacebar.

I've ended up making one from scratch using a credit card, a paper clip and a Bic Cristal ballpoint pen. It fits snugly on the cross hole of the key and the space bar is not wobbly anymore.

This is an oldish post and I'm short on time, so the gist is:
- Cut a thin rectangle of the credit card (0.5 cm x 1.1 cm). That should fit in the horizontal part of the cross hole on the key.
- Cut two straight segments of the paperclip and push them onto the upper and lower parts of the cross hole. I've used a color paperclip, and stripped the plastic of the part that fits in the hole and left it on the part that sticks out.
- Take the tip of the bic cristall pen (the brown part) and cut a 0.6 cm section of the cylinder that is normally hidden inside the pen.
- Push that cylinder around the credit card+paperclip column. In my case, it doesn't move once in place, but if it does I'm sure you can add some extra filling.

If the above instructions are not clear and there's somebody out there still missing their AEK II cylinder, I'll post pictures to clarify them.

Offline cole1williams

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 02:16:30 »

The stabilizers on the AEKII are really hard to get back on in general. When putting the space bar back on, don't have the wire attached to the stabilizers.