Author Topic: Do you Exercise ?  (Read 9469 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Do you Exercise ?
« on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 07:53:26 »
Tp4 h8s xercise..

But, as Gekhakrs, probably we need it more than others ?

Ur thoughts ??

202099-0

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Do you Exercise ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 08:32:23 »
I try to.
Whenever I have some free time I try to hit the gym.
My job is a mix though. Sometimes I run all over the place, and other times I sit still for hours on end.
But I know I need it, my conditioning is just bad.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 08:40:04 »
Not if I can help it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 08:58:22 »
Only as much as I have to.  1/2 mile walking the dog, then 1-1/2 mile walking myself at ~3.5-4mph.  I should do more...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 09:10:08 »
I used to swim, but I've recently picked up bouldering instead.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Meowsaur

• I don't like that.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 09:13:46 »
I walk to the fridge sometimes.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 09:35:29 »
At least six days a week, each muscle group at least once a week, cardio two or three days a week.

I wish I liked cardio.   :-\
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline edasaur

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 11:30:30 »
At least 6 days a week. I try to get in something once per day, because if I don't, I feel pretty restless.

As for what I do, these are the subtotals of hours I spend exercising:

- wushu: 11 hours
- weightlifting: 5 hours
- exercise bike: 1 hour

Been also getting into ping pong lately, so might be spending even more time exercising

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 11:57:18 »

Woah..

Look at that form.. !!

202126-0

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 13:40:14 »
I lift 4 days a week and do heavy cardio one day a week and light cardio a few other days.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 17:12:47 »

Woah..

Look at that form.. !!

(Attachment Link)
Bouldering is great, really liking it. And the other people there are a nice side-bonus, yeah ^^ .

Offline Kavik

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 18:08:37 »
I lift weights three days per week, usually for about 2 hours each session. Now that I have a power rack and barbell in the garage, it's a little more enjoyable, and I have less of an excuse to skip out on it.

I've recently got back into road cycling because a friend bought a road bike. Our plan is to ride every Saturday or Sunday. Two weeks ago, we went 31 miles, and, last weekend, we went 25 miles (much hillier trail).

I also go to a Karate class on Mondays, which feels like a HIIT workout. I'm starting to enjoy this a bit less though.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline JP

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 18:46:09 »
I starting riding my road bike more seriously this year. I try and get in about 100 miles each week with about 40-50 miles of easy going riding on Sundays. Besides that I keep telling myself that I should hit the gym especially when I have close access to one but am too lazy to change my routine.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 19:14:18 »
I lift weights three days per week, usually for about 2 hours each session. Now that I have a power rack and barbell in the garage, it's a little more enjoyable, and I have less of an excuse to skip out on it.

I've recently got back into road cycling because a friend bought a road bike. Our plan is to ride every Saturday or Sunday. Two weeks ago, we went 31 miles, and, last weekend, we went 25 miles (much hillier trail).

I also go to a Karate class on Mondays, which feels like a HIIT workout. I'm starting to enjoy this a bit less though.

Next time buys something on Craigslist,  Bring kavik,  He knows karate..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 19:29:43 »
Meh. I like to take a few bike rides every week and pretend that's exercise.
But there are so many jackasses out there in the bike lanes that it is taking the fun out of it, and I sometimes get more road rage than satisfaction.

Offline JP

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 20:21:39 »
Meh. I like to take a few bike rides every week and pretend that's exercise.
But there are so many jackasses out there in the bike lanes that it is taking the fun out of it, and I sometimes get more road rage than satisfaction.

That's why I bought a bike bell which helps a bit but not always. Also when I upgraded my wheels the rear hub is now pretty loud which helps others know I'm behind them. Lots of people with ear buds or head phones though. Oh and people who can't keep their pets or kids in line. For me it just depends on the time or day. Also sometimes I'll make my way out of town and find the peaceful quiet roads with very little traffic.

Offline edasaur

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 20:31:51 »

Dang I never understand how people bike for so long. I hop on an exercise bike and I die after 9 miles in half an hour. What is this magic??

Same thing with running x.x

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 21:34:01 »
Nope. Never.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 21:48:01 »
That's why I bought a bike bell which helps a bit but not always.
Helps how?
It does not help against the jackass beside you who had squeezed into the safe distance that you had put to the eighteen-wheeler truck so that the truck driver would have had a chance to see you. Now if the truck would have turned right, yes the truck would have rammed into the jackass but only right before the jackass would have rammed into me.
It does not help against the ******* behind you using his bell just because he wants you to move over so he can pass at a fast pace and beat his speed record, even though the lane is pretty crowded and he should slow down.
It does not help against the ******* chasing you shouting "Hello!", "Hey there!", "Excuse me!" that you can't see is using a telephone on handsfree.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 22:14:20 »

Dang I never understand how people bike for so long. I hop on an exercise bike and I die after 9 miles in half an hour. What is this magic??

Same thing with running x.x

Riding a bike on the open road helps vs riding a stationary bike, especially if I'm exploring a new trail (which is rare) because it's more interesting. The amount of change in elevation effects things too. The 31 mile ride was *much* easier because it was completely flat. Body weight affects things too. When I'm skinny, riding anything under 40 miles is fairly effortless, but, when I'm heavy, I have to build up to longer distances over several rides. My longest ride was 73 miles last year; the main problem I had was that sitting on a bike seat for seven hours is very uncomfortable.

Offline JP

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 00:00:36 »
That's why I bought a bike bell which helps a bit but not always.
Helps how?
It does not help against the jackass beside you who had squeezed into the safe distance that you had put to the eighteen-wheeler truck so that the truck driver would have had a chance to see you. Now if the truck would have turned right, yes the truck would have rammed into the jackass but only right before the jackass would have rammed into me.
It does not help against the ******* behind you using his bell just because he wants you to move over so he can pass at a fast pace and beat his speed record, even though the lane is pretty crowded and he should slow down.
It does not help against the ******* chasing you shouting "Hello!", "Hey there!", "Excuse me!" that you can't see is using a telephone on handsfree.

It helps in some cases with pedestrians, not other cyclists or vehicles.

I think you just need an upgrade plus some horn therapy:

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 August 2018, 00:08:04 by JP »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 03:01:09 »
I guess if cycling counts, I also cycle to work (and everywhere else).

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 09:41:02 »

Yes it even counts if you are going to the local pub  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 09:46:49 »

Yes it even counts if you are going to the local pub  :thumb:

how many miles offset 1x beer.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 06:39:58 »
I used swim for a few months whenever I put on weight and lost what I wanted fairly rapidly. I'm really bored of swimming though so I've started doing 10 minutes of pressups, squats, lunges etc before I get in the shower in the morning. I've kept it up for about a month now and cos it's quick I'm not nearly as inclined to skip it.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 12:44:49 »
I walk to and from work, a little over a mile a day, other than that I do nothing.

I want to start using the erg we have at the office, but I'm just too lazy to make myself do it.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 12:46:17 »
i try to get a daily walk in, however the weather hasn't really agreed with that lately

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 13:25:24 »
I used to go to school with a wrestler who was in the Olympic Development Program and he had the most basic regimen that I always look back to when I've fallen out of good exercise habits or want to do something on the go. It started off with him doing 250 pushups and 250 situps daily + cardio. He'd break it down into ten sessions a day. Between classes. When school let out. When he got home. After Dinner. Before bed. It isn't as hard when you break them down like that. Soon enough, those 25 a piece sessions became too easy so his dad/personal trainer bumped it to 50 a piece each session. When I moved away he was doing 1000 a day. He was wrestling 17 year olds at 12.

I believe this is a leaf from Herschel Walker's book who at one point was doing 3,500 of each daily.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000537126/article/football-fit-a-look-at-herschel-walkers-workout-routine

I've played soccer/football and basketball my whole life and there are always pick up games if you know where to look. I like to get my exercise that way so it doesn't get boring going for the same run/weightlift routine each day. Love to surf when there are waves but summer is cruel in that respect... Pls send hurricanes, kthnx

Offline strider8

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 14:40:10 »
I just got into bodyweight fitness. I hate going to gyms and "gym bros" in general. Also thing those ridiculous at home machines are just expensive gimmicks.

https://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Survival-Strength/dp/1942812159

This is what I've been following

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:00:11 »
I just got into bodyweight fitness. I hate going to gyms and "gym bros" in general. Also thing those ridiculous at home machines are just expensive gimmicks.

They really are gimmicks. Every once in a while I'll have the chance to try one out for the hell of it and I've never liked any.

Gyms really depend on the time of day you go, at least in my experience. The gym bros like peak hours. More eyes to peep them peanut biceps.  :))
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:28:21 »

They really are gimmicks. Every once in a while I'll have the chance to try one out for the hell of it and I've never liked any.

Gyms really depend on the time of day you go, at least in my experience. The gym bros like peak hours. More eyes to peep them peanut biceps.  :))

Why would you say body weight workout is a gimmick, when the entirety of The Body is primarily designed to MOVE ITSELF. ??

Offline edasaur

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:30:08 »

Why would you say body weight workout is a gimmick, when the entirety of The Body is primarily designed to MOVE ITSELF. ??

Show Image

I could be mistaken, but I think they are referring to the home machines as gimmicks

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:32:21 »

I could be mistaken, but I think they are referring to the home machines as gimmicks

// Too many sentences.. Too little processing power..

// Tp4 needs to upgrade CPU..

// Also bowflex..  Thoughts ? 

// Been eyeing it for years,  never committed...

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:38:38 »
Those home gyms are pretty horrible imo, but if you're gonna do that vs. nothing; then it is better to do that.

I've been pretty lax with myself recently in light of all the commotion my life has taken recently; but I still try to maintain what I have with "greasing the groove" tactics.

Used to be quite the gym-goer; however I didn't enjoy spending almost an hour of my day driving to and from the gym to be palatable. So I just bought some kettlebells, just a heavy round ball. I' haven't gained any weight; good or bad so that's a plus; and although I am significantly weaker since I'm not doing barbell weights anymore; I still have a general strength that is useful.

I think there are too many benefits to exercise/training to be ignored. If you don't do it; I highly recommend it. It can be as easy or as difficult as you'd like. As long or as short as well.

As we get older, any movement is good for prolonging the lifespan and functionality of your joints/muscles etc. No one has to go overboard; but a little bit is good for you too.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:43:44 »
I love to powerlift

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:54:02 »

Show Image

I did mean the home machines. Body weight/calisthenics is great, I do plenty of that.

As for Bowflex...

Those home gyms are pretty horrible imo, but if you're gonna do that vs. nothing; then it is better to do that.

Something is always better than nothing as long as you're doing it with proper form. Honestly I would do calisthenics over any home gym machine. The simple workouts done with proper form consistently over a long period of time can really take you far. Pushups, Situps, Supine Bicycles, Squats, Lunges, etc. If theres a local park, work on pullups at some monkey bars to work on your back. Hell, do some curls with your grocery bags or a backpack. No need to buy a pricey machine.
Collection:
More

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 16:15:30 »

Show Image

I did mean the home machines. Body weight/calisthenics is great, I do plenty of that.

As for Bowflex...

Something is always better than nothing as long as you're doing it with proper form. Honestly I would do calisthenics over any home gym machine. The simple workouts done with proper form consistently over a long period of time can really take you far. Pushups, Situps, Supine Bicycles, Squats, Lunges, etc. If theres a local park, work on pullups at some monkey bars to work on your back. Hell, do some curls with your grocery bags or a backpack. No need to buy a pricey machine.

Aboslutely agree with you, however there is definitely a mental block with some people in that they'll refuse or see certain things as less appealing if they're less than comfortable-- "You want me to sit on the floor??"

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 16:29:37 »
Aboslutely agree with you, however there is definitely a mental block with some people in that they'll refuse or see certain things as less appealing if they're less than comfortable-- "You want me to sit on the floor??"

Definitely true. Hard to argue against a mental block. Getting a close buddy to do it with may help. Sometimes things feel less silly or wrong if you're not the only one doing it.
Collection:
More

Offline Kavik

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 08:45:23 »
My opinion is similar to the rest of the respondents. Either do calisthenics or barbell training. Anything else, like home machines (whatever they're called) are gimmicks; I'd throw the Bowflex in with these as well because it's not as versatile as a barbell, and its loading is limited to however many bendy rods are on it (and the one I'm looking at only has 210 lb of resistance total which is nothing). You can always buy more plates for a bar.

The main thing to remember with any form of exercise is to have a way to measure progress. Don't just do whatever you feel like and think you're getting better. If you're doing bodyweight stuff, how many chin-ups or pull-ups you can do in one set can be your metric. With barbells, how much weight you can squat for a 1 rep max or 5 rep max is a good metric (ideally have a metric for each exercise). As long as these numbers keep increasing, you're getting better. All the exercise I did as in my teens and early 20's besides running and maybe cycling was a waste because I just did a little of this and a little of that and never did any one thing long enough to improve.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 09:48:32 »

Definitely true. Hard to argue against a mental block. Getting a close buddy to do it with may help. Sometimes things feel less silly or wrong if you're not the only one doing it.

The primary barriers to exercise are the Competing-Satieties.

For example..

10 minutes of your time to prepare and eat 1x Hamburger.

This generates XXXXXX amount of Pleasure response..

30 minutes of working out for XXXXXXXXX..

Whatever the payoff is for the workout.. the bulk of it is slow, long-game, and not immediately perceptible like eating the Hamburger..

Given that you can eat virtually Unlimited Hamburgers/Pizza/Taco/Fried Chicken at negligible time cost,   The brain simply can not fathom Effortful exertion to get (So little pay) in terms of pleasure..

And so, it finally cycles out of control,  and here we are.. !!

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 10:29:04 »

The primary barriers to exercise are the Competing-Satieties.

For example..

10 minutes of your time to prepare and eat 1x Hamburger.

30 minutes of working out for XXXXXXXXX..

Whatever the payoff is for the workout.. the bulk of it is slow, long-game, and not immediately perceptible like eating the Hamburger..

Given that you can eat virtually Unlimited Hamburgers/Pizza/Taco/Fried Chicken at negligible time cost,   The brain simply can not fathom Effortful exertion to get (So little pay) in terms of pleasure..

And so, it finally cycles out of control,  and here we are.. !!

I get that. I used to struggle with that a lot. It’s also a lot easier if you have a specific goal in mind.
When I started weightlifting and running I couldn’t be bothered to do it much. When I  got serious about wanting to join the military I realized I needed to drop ~60 pounds. By the time I got that goal, exercising felt much more natural and “pleasurable.” I started to feel like I needed it and a day that I didn’t exercise in some way felt like a wasted day.

Yes, it’s a marathon rather than a sprint. Trust me, the time will fly by if you have a goal in mind. Especially when you start to get the hang of it. If you’re like me, you’ll really start to enjoy it once you get it down.

And once you really get it going you’ll have more justification for an extra hamburger. The pleasure response will be off the charts.  ;)
Collection:
More

Offline R1N3

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:31:13 »

came here today to post this  :thumb:

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:47:03 »
Show Image

Dats a big boi.

I used to want to be a beefcake. I still want to be a beefcake, but I used to want to be one too.

Offline JP

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 13:12:31 »
Show Image

Dats a big boi.

I used to want to be a beefcake. I still want to be a beefcake, but I used to want to be one too.

Yes but you have lot's of hp at least  :thumb:

Offline edasaur

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 13:14:33 »
Show Image

Dats a big boi.

Yes but you have lot's of hp at least  :thumb:
So much constitution o.o

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 14:10:42 »
 I have a 0 in charisma though -_-

Offline iri

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 15:00:41 »
It doesn't, you are Dutch :p
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 15:20:45 »

Persuasion attempts aren't necessary when you can smash anything you want.  :))
Collection:
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 16:11:29 »

Charisma is easy..  Just smile and wave.. !!

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 14:48:37 »

Charisma is easy..  Just smile and wave.. !!

"Welp, there's that weird wavy guy again.. Don't make eye contact" -Anybody