Author Topic: [Orders Closed] Phantom PCB R2  (Read 267226 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: [Collecting Orders] Phantom PCB R2
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 20:51:31 »
Thanks WFD. I'm thinking Beast was going to offer them as well, so you two may want to talk about that, not sure.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 20:58:03 »
I can PM Beast about getting them made, but as far as designing them, I don't think he does that. He just passes the file on to some company to have them cut.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:01:45 »
I know he's good with CAD, so he could make modifications, if need be. :)

Offline jabar

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:05:11 »
As long as the CAD files are available anyone can get them made.

I was going to seek out quotes but if someone is already doing so redundancy isn't effective here.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:07:15 »
I thought the same thing, but it was nice to have things shipped to my door

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:42:27 »
As long as the CAD files are available anyone can get them made.

I was going to seek out quotes but if someone is already doing so redundancy isn't effective here.

Well the old phantom plate files are available on DT, anyone can just have them made. But the reason why I'm making the plates over from scratch is because there were issues with 4 stabilizers that didn't allow top switch housing to be opened up, and the whole bottom half of the plate was slightly offset. Also the screw holes near the top needs to be shifted over by a fraction of a millimeter.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:46:55 »
You're doing great work WFD, please keep going forward. While you're at it, when you have time do you think you could make up a plate for the Pure? Also, I'm sure you're already doing it, but the GH60 plates should be fairly easy to design once you've got the revised Phantom plates, yes?

Again, thanks for all you do!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Leewei

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:25:31 »
It would be pretty cool if someone could try to get a case being designed. I think a lot of people are on the look out for one so that would probably be the last thing people would need for their phantom. Are cases really expensive if we were to draw one up and have it quoted to be made? I'm not sure so.. any thoughts?
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:30:15 »
Yes cases are really expensive.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:40:53 »
I would definitely be in for a case. It'd be really cool to have a signature case for the Phantom the same way the KMAC has its own. I'd be really into an acrylic case.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline jabar

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:42:25 »
Are there CAD files for FILCO equivalent cases that work for the Phantom PCB? Perhaps with the amount of interest in this group buy something could be worked out for a nice metal case without costing so much... but I might be naive.

Also, placed my order (I think - still drunk).
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:53:16 »
I think utilizing some of the contacts I have, I could locate someone willing to mill cases for us. However, I'm not about to learn how to model a case, model it, get it perfect, then bring it to people just to see if its possible.

I suppose I could bring them an empty plastic filco and see if they can give a price estimate/help with design.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:54:43 »
There's a case in development... Look for it. :)

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:56:28 »
I kinda remember reading about it, aluminum?

I'd like a litster style one too.

Offline nebo

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:57:49 »
So you are taking over, so to say, that one IC for the acrylic aluminum sandwich one? :D

Offline netdevil

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:00:56 »
Yea I second a litster style one too those are beautiful  :eek:

Offline Leewei

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:15:52 »

Tell us more! =D Umm. I think alu case would look cleanest, acrylic wouldnt feel as solid.
Qsenn dt-35

Offline nebo

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:18:24 »

Tell us more! =D Umm. I think alu case would look cleanest, acrylic wouldnt feel as solid.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38360.0

Offline Leewei

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:19:56 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38360.0

Thanks nebo dude!
Qsenn dt-35

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:20:05 »
So you are taking over, so to say, that one IC for the acrylic aluminum sandwich one? :D
IF I have time... I'm getting my Phantom soon, so I'll have to check measurements.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:22:34 »
Aluminum cases look nice, but there's already the alu Filco case, and KMACs are alu as well. It's been seen and done time and time again. I think a more litster look would be quite nice for Phantoms.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:23:25 »
Aluminum cases look nice, but there's already the alu Filco case, and KMACs are alu as well. It's been seen and done time and time again. I think a more litster look would be quite nice for Phantoms.
alu cases feel much more solid.

Offline nebo

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:23:33 »
IF I have time... I'm getting my Phantom soon, so I'll have to check measurements.
If is better than no. ATM I don't have time but if it comes to it I'm sure I could look in to some shops for quotes (I know nothing of this so if it was just bringing them CAD files and money I think I could handle a GB).

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:25:37 »
alu cases feel much more solid.

I certainly wouldn't argue with that, I imagine it'd be hard to beat the feel of a alu case.

Offline bavman

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:37:42 »
We should make stainless steel ones...to give it some nice weight...maybe make one out of lead.

Offline jabar

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:40:12 »
We should make stainless steel ones...to give it some nice weight...maybe make one out of lead.
Stainless Steel cases would be nice, so long as they don't run several hundred dollars each. With the quantity of PCBs "sold" so far some sort of competitive case pricing should be had.

Phantom 7bit

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:41:31 »
due im totally with you there

Stainless Steel cases would be nice, so long as they don't run several hundred dollars each. With the quantity of PCBs "sold" so far some sort of competitive case pricing should be had.
thats probably what your looking at for a metal case....

Offline jabar

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:44:35 »
thats probably what your looking at for a metal case....
yeah, with a small MOQ that would be the standard fare. Maybe with some aggressive research metal cases won't be an arm and a leg with a larger fill quantity.

Phantom 7bit

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:55:02 »
If it was running a couple hundred dollars for the case I'd have to be out, unfortunately. I think the steel case is a swell idea, but not all of us can afford luxuries like that.

That said, I do think that something like the Phantom does deserve something special to house it in. Certainly a stainless steel case would fill that role perfectly. It'd be very unique and overall a grand keyboard. Just a bit overpriced.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:57:07 »
If it was running a couple hundred dollars for the case I'd have to be out, unfortunately. I think the steel case is a swell idea, but not all of us can afford luxuries like that.

That said, I do think that something like the Phantom does deserve something special to house it in. Certainly a stainless steel case would fill that role perfectly. It'd be very unique and overall a grand keyboard. Just a bit overpriced.
just and idea i got my KMAC LE for 360$ non assembled and KMini for $400 assembled both those have alu case. this is just to give you all an idea of potential cost.

Offline jabar

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:03:46 »
just and idea i got my KMAC LE for 360$ non assembled and KMini for $400 assembled both those have alu case. this is just to give you all an idea of potential cost.
Well, you did import the case and KMAC which commands a hefty price being a more custom Korean board. I'm sure someone here can figure it out a good metal case option to keep it more cost effective. At those prices I would just buy a Topre HHKB or two and call it quits.

Phantom 7bit

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:07:31 »
I just took a look at this and I think it is just amazing. It's very unique and it could satisfy both the acrylic party and the alu party.

And yes, I'm aware that it was mentioned previously in this thread, I'm just a little late to the party. Haha :D

Offline bavman

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:13:00 »
I think part of the reason cases cost so much is because they start off with 2 blocks of the desired metal (like aluminum) and a machine just takes off everything that's not needed. It seems a little inefficient since its wasting metal, and you're paying for it. I think if someone can come up with a good design from sheet metal it would probably be more affordable. I for one won't spend $200 or more on a metal case...it's just not within my budget

Offline jabar

« Reply #183 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:16:32 »
I think part of the reason cases cost so much is because they start off with 2 blocks of the desired metal (like aluminum) and a machine just takes off everything that's not needed. It seems a little inefficient since its wasting metal, and you're paying for it. I think if someone can come up with a good design from sheet metal it would probably be more affordable. I for one won't spend $200 or more on a metal case...it's just not within my budget
Wow, constructing from block metal is a huge waste. From that perspective the huge final costs per case makes sense. I'm sure we can get around that.

Phantom 7bit

Offline nebo

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:20:03 »
The linked case would deal with the issue of cost on block metal. Sheet metal would be silly IMO for a keyboard case.

Offline bavman

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:24:04 »
I think thats how most of them are made at least ....I saw a video on youtube a while ago, I think it was a poker case being made.

The linked case would deal with the issue of cost on block metal. Sheet metal would be silly IMO for a keyboard case.

It does, but its also not full metal like some people would like. I actually really like the design though
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:27:11 by bavman »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:30:30 »
The oneproduct aluminum case was bent and welded aluminum if I remember right.  It's nice, but doesn't have the standard slant that other cases have.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:36:41 »
I actually really like the design though

I do too. It looks pretty swell and you'd still at least get some of the feel of a metal case.

Offline nebo

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:36:42 »

It does, but its also not full metal like some people would like. I actually really like the design though
Want and will buy are different. A lot of people wanted MKC's aluminum case but even when Feng said he could get it for $285 nobody really bit (this it stayed at $320 or whatever). I'd be down for a full aluminum cases and if priced not stupid I'd go for it, but with quantities we'll get + what people want to pay that is kind of hard. I doubt we'd get the precision needed bending aluminum.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:34:57 »
Pb is ugly. If we want weight, we should do Iridium. :)

Offline Leewei

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:35:36 »
What about offering two options, full alluminum and part aluminum.
Qsenn dt-35

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [Collecting Orders] Phantom PCB R2
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:39:41 »
Well, you did import the case and KMAC which commands a hefty price being a more custom Korean board. I'm sure someone here can figure it out a good metal case option to keep it more cost effective. At those prices I would just buy a Topre HHKB or two and call it quits.
case is part of the KMAC kit. And our pcb is actually more custom then theirs. And yes this isnt custom keyboard on the cheap especially if you want a custom case. My guess the $300 min price with a case wouldnt be far off and dont for get the extra cost of getting it assembled if you cant do it yourself.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:41:19 »
yes that is how most of these are made and what they will probably cost due to raw material and manufacturing costs.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:42:13 »

Want and will buy are different. A lot of people wanted MKC's aluminum case but even when Feng said he could get it for $285 nobody really bit (this it stayed at $320 or whatever). I'd be down for a full aluminum cases and if priced not stupid I'd go for it, but with quantities we'll get + what people want to pay that is kind of hard. I doubt we'd get the precision needed bending aluminum.
exactly!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:44:18 »
What about offering two options, full alluminum and part aluminum.
find someone to design one or both then get enough people for each to get a reasonable price I dont think itll happen if we manage to get one design that fits we should stick to it so we can lower the cost for everyone.

Offline bavman

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:47:58 »
Pb is ugly. If we want weight, we should do Iridium. :)

Definitely! Its only like $1000 an ounce, no biggie

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #196 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 08:46:40 »
Only depleted uranium is heavy enough for me.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 09:28:38 »

Iridium is still heavier... Actually heaviest of all only after osmium. Or there is actually some dispute to which one of them should be consider the heaviest.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 09:32:17 »

Iridium is still heavier... Actually heaviest of all only after osmium. Or there is actually some dispute to which one of them should be consider the heaviest.

Then, clearly iridium is too heavy for me, duh :P

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 09:36:30 »
Gold weights anyone?  ;D ;D