Author Topic: [IC] AM AGA | Alice Keyboard  (Read 8991 times)

Offline Crazy Designers

[IC] AM AGA | Alice Keyboard
« on: Thu, 25 August 2022, 23:09:01 »
AM AGA by Angry Miao

290735-0

Crazy Designers here. The last few months have been hectic with the upcoming release of our Angry Miao CYBERBLADE wireless earbuds, but we also haven't been sitting still when it comes to keyboards. Today I'll introduce the latest thing we're working on: AM AGA.

290737-1 290739-2

So far, we have two keyboard styles in our lineup, namely CYBERBOARD, which has gone through several iterations, and AM HATSU, a wireless split ergo keyboard. For the last year or so, we have been thinking about what the next AM keyboard should look like. We have shared some drafts of 65% keyboards on our Discord channel, but those weren't really up to your tastes.

290741-3 290743-4
Images by @Da R

One of the main points of criticism was that they simply didn't have the same presence as other Angry Miao products. We always stress that we want to make products that are valuable and meaningful to people, and definitely don't want to turn Angry Miao into a money-making machine popping out boring products. So we went ahead and started thinking about how we can advance the evolution of keyboard products. For now, we believe it lies in Alice.

5-axis CNC machining

290745-5

We initially considered a modular design. In other words, we would first make a base, and then divide the left and right sides into two independent sections. This would allow you to adjust the feel of the left and right sides independently. As far as we know, nobody has created a keyboard with such a layout before. And with good reason. It's not only hard to mass-produce this type of design, the difference it brings in feel doesn't really solve any problems we encounter in practice.

The manufacturing cost of such a large shell is outrageous, and so is its processing time, which exceeded 12 hours when we just started out. Later on, we made some improvements, but creating a single shell would still take us half a day. We believe five-axis CNC machining is the way forward, but that doesn't come without challenges. In fact, it even exceeds the complexity of the processing involved with AM HATSU.

290747-6

We are currently encountering some problems, mainly related to the huge size of this layout. It's extremely difficult to craft its body from aluminum, since you need to take a whole piece of aluminum and then hollow it out. Also, it looks a bit large and bulky, not to mention its sharp edges make it not that suitable for day-to-day use. We have already started to improve on these problems, with success.

290749-7

Layout

290751-8
290753-9

Based on the open source Alice Layout, we took the best of what Alice has to offer and further improved upon it. The standard-issue Alice has some limitations in terms of practicality and universality. Therefore, we got some keen Alice and split ergo keyboard fans involved to help us out perfecting the keyboard arrangement.

Adjustable Gasket Mount

290755-10

Why is our Alice keyboard so thick? We cannot reveal too much at this point, but it's something truly unique. We will provide you with all the details in a future post update.

Inspired by VF-19 from Macross

290771-11

Macross is one of our favorite animes. We're especially fans of the VF-series variable fighters designed by Masaharu Kawamori. The VF-19, a fighter with forward-swept wing design, has a particularly cool shape. AM AGA incorporates a hollow metal frame with a slightly forward-swept design exactly to express this specific style. It takes numerous hours of 5-axis CNC machining to achieve this hollow metal frame, but the results speak for itself.

Up to this point, we have prepared a total of 5 color schemes for AM AGA. Check them out below!

Macross VF-19

290759-12

Taking its inspiration from the theater version of Macross F, we used the VF-19 ADVANCE variable fighter as the base for our color scheme.

Interstellar Ranger

290761-13

Inspired by Ranger, the futuristic sci-fi spaceship from the movie Interstellar.

All Black

290763-14

All black, the color (that isn't really a color) you can never go wrong with.

Concept Car by Shane Baxley

290765-15

Inspired by the Bertone Stratos B A X concept car design from Hollywood concept designer Shane Baxley.

BLACKPINK

290767-16

BLACKPINK in Your Area!

Above is our current progress on AM AGA. We will update this thread when we have more information to share!
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2022, 23:39:03 by Crazy Designers »
Future Art Community.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
Re: [IC] AM AGA | Alice Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 August 2022, 23:16:24 »
This would be pretty epic if you can pull it off. I'll definitely be keeping watch on this because in concept, it looks really good.
A-a-ron

Offline joke

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 05:25:26 »
Looks beautiful, but I already see myself hating it for pressing up arrow instead of shift  :mad:

Offline KommandantManu

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 05:36:07 »
Hello there I am Admiral Manül and I like your Keyboard.
And this... this is a trap:
https://bit.ly/3AmYyz6

Offline Visual_MK

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 06:15:47 »
This looks amazing! Could be a really good case design for an all in one cyberdeck.
Do you think you could fit a Raspberry Pi or even a Framework mainboard below the pcb with that design?

Offline jdack41

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 07:32:09 »
good colors. I think AKIRA’s theme(Kanada’s bike) color scheme will fit this design too.

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 08:36:43 »
As an avid Macross fan, I am prepared to do many borderline-illegal things to get my hands on that VF-19 variant.

Would love a bit of color tweaking to make it an Isamu Dyson special *hint hint*

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 08:37:45 »
The amount of 1 post people commenting on this post is alarming

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 09:21:54 »

we need some terminally online people with 1000+ post count to balance it out

Also, design looks fun, reminds me of a sand buggy, or like when you put a camera inside a smallrig cage. I like the two tone possibilities!

Offline anderw

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 10:05:08 »
would definitely buy this if it was in my budget

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 10:24:17 »
can't know how much i care about this until i see a price estimate
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nostr

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 10:24:36 »
Please consider split backspace compatibility on the pcb thank you

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 11:07:07 »

How much do you think this should cost? Genuinely curious

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 11:23:04 »

How much do you think this should cost? Genuinely curious

any more than 750 you're paying for art, which is totally fine for something like this, but it's a lot of money
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Visual_MK

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 11:47:36 »

I just really like the design, it looks too expensive for my blood though... Maybe someday!
I never went too deep into Geekhack, are there a lot of new accounts hyping ICs in general?

Offline japancakes

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 12:52:57 »

I just really like the design, it looks too expensive for my blood though... Maybe someday!
I never went too deep into Geekhack, are there a lot of new accounts hyping ICs in general?

Not really. But AM usually announces designs in their Discord with a link to the IC here, so a lot of people aren't native to GH and get pinged before someone refreshes here.

This board looks pretty crazy though in terms of design. Don't know if I'll cop but I'm glad it exists.

Offline Necrolegion

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 18:55:23 »
Is the middle section like an LED screen? Would be insane if it were!

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 20:41:14 »
Really cool concept!
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline Sax_______

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 21:14:19 »
I see Macross i like

Offline nqbshas

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 August 2022, 02:56:16 »
Interesting project.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 August 2022, 03:50:47 »

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 October 2022, 08:53:19 »
Could have updated this post boss
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline PinkCynicism

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 31 October 2022, 19:18:53 »
This is the perfect board for interesting colourways, so I hope some more designers can take a crack at it.