Author Topic: Alternatives to Alienware  (Read 8434 times)

Offline IntrepidDog4

Alternatives to Alienware
« on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 11:35:08 »
My son is an avid fan of the "cool look" of Alienware products but it is a bit out of my budget. He's built his own Gaming PC and I'd like to ask if you guys know of any budget friendly places that have the same sort of cool looking components. Yes he is a geek like me but his age has him wanting to mix high function with looking cool.

All suggestions and ideas appreciated.
As long as it's fun I'll give it a go!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Alternatives to Alienware
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 11:46:56 »
Buy him the college SAT red-book,  if he can ace that whole book,  write him a check for $3000

2 birds w/ 1 stone.

Things he will learn.

Early life is about meeting standards

Meeting standards gets you a job

Working a job gets you paid

Being paid leads to the Purchase of -Goods-

As for what TO DO with Material Purchase,  he'll figure that out in college where there is low-constraint access to females..

For now, keep it simple..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 20:16:45 »
Right off the bat I'll tell you plainly: when you buy Alienware you are paying a markup solely based on branding.

I'd take a page from Terry Crews and make this a bonding opportunity with your son to pick and build something together. Not only will it teach him how to build a PC, but also the value of making something yourself, and spending time with his dad. Spend time on websites or going to stores picking the case and mouse and parts to tailor it to something truly unique and to his tastes.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 01:09:59 »
I think coolermaster is a budget brand for the most part and has some gamery aesthetic thats not too ridiculous

For components, just go for specs not looks. Think "sporty minimalism"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 19:54:33 »
Ask him this, would he rather a faster computer, or one that looks cool.
Can't have both on a budget and no one in Overwatch can see if you have an rgb keyboard (nor do they care).

That said, looking neat doesn't have to cost a lot.
I agree with the others, build it yourself but use a case that doesn't highlight the fans, then use cheap addressable RGB light strips to add color. Not only will this be cheaper, but also more quiet. Then go for best bang for the buck. This means an I5 or Ryzen 5, 16gigs, and a modest graphics card like a 1060. You coudl even start with 8 gigs and add more later.

Beware the used card market!
New cards recently took a major dive in price and the used market has yet to adjust. In many cases you can buy a brand new card for only a few dollars more than the used one. Don't buy used for anywhere close to new prices, especially mining cards. The mining cards have been abused like no cards before and they are now trying to get back as much as they can after destroying the graphics card market for years. Let them burn and wallow in the hell they created by letting prices on used ones crash and burn.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 22:21:33 »
Re building a computer, I was under the impression the OP was looking for cosmetic items like the case/chassis, since the son already has built a computer themselves.

I wouldn't be one to know about more exotic-looking cases though, personally build went for an EVGA Hadron Air chassis which is has a bit more of an understated appearance. Wrote a guide on Overclock.net about it before they ran out of budget in the last few months and deleted their user articles and photos section (RIP :'().
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2018, 22:23:54 by Coreda »

Offline haanuman

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 12:14:44 »
I don't understand why the aesthetics matter that much?

Offline JoeriW

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 12:57:02 »

Funny you say this on a keyboard forum where aesthetics is one of the most important aspects whether someone buys a keyboard/keyset or not :D  From experience kids love stuff that looks cool. When it really comes down to it they will settle for a lot less than initially requested though if you explain that looks don't equal performance (usually).

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 11:10:50 »
My vote is in for build it together. Lot's of cool parts you can piecemeal together for a fraction of alien ware prices.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 00:02:50 »

Funny you say this on a keyboard forum where aesthetics is one of the most important aspects whether someone buys a keyboard/keyset or not :D
Depends on who you talk to.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 06:41:54 »

Funny you say this on a keyboard forum where aesthetics is one of the most important aspects whether someone buys a keyboard/keyset or not :D
Depends on who you talk to.

//ERGODOX

Offline oumakavoula

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 06:56:52 »
For what it's worth when I wanted an Alienware when I was young my uncle got 20% off just by calling them so you could always try that.

But in retrospect it was an awful value for money and would never buy again from them.

I'm sure you can find a rgb case + rgb fans for a "cool look" without spending too much extra.

I would have loved for my dad to be into this stuff when I was a kid.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 September 2018, 07:03:51 by oumakavoula »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 07:02:34 »
Buy a dell and write alienware on the side. Then buy some old neon lights and stick them to the side. Wrap it up and and give it to him as a present. When he looks disappointed, tell him  welcome to life son this is the first of a series of disappointments that will make up what we call life..... get used to it.

Then follow it up with a two week computer ban.

This is why I don't have children.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 07:05:11 »
Buy a dell and write alienware on the side. Then buy some old neon lights and stick them to the side. Wrap it up and and give it to him as a present. When he looks disappointed, tell him  welcome to life son this is the first of a series of disappointments that will make up what we call life..... get used to it.

/headscratch..

/Thought Fanpeeps had wifu. ??

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 07:12:40 »

/headscratch..

/Thought Fanpeeps had wifu. ??

Yes but no seed. I oppose tiny self imposed leaches.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 08:14:46 »

Have read that these situations become tense and combative..

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 09:55:08 »

Have read that these situations become tense and combative..

I don't know why you can't piecemeal and have aesthetics; most of the sickest pcs are customs. Unless it's alien ware brand, but you could literally just get a fancy case and spray paint an alien silhouette on the side or wherever.

Actually, if you had a glass panel on the case(acrylic or otherwise) you could spray window frost on it in that silhouette then have a nice shine through of an alien.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 13:16:01 »
I've thought Alienware PC's looked pretty gack in the past but I get why you'd be taken with the new ones the hardware design is pretty slick.

I don't care for most of the build your own case designs that are on the market right now with the plexiglass side with LEDs blasting out type of thing that's been predominant for the last decade seems a bit eXtreme Gam3r dated in this day and age. The other thing that gets me is they rarely have any molded plastics the whole case is metal which makes them seem quite bare bones. Thinkstations are probably closest to what I think a desktop should look like it's just a shame they don't still make em in beige.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 18:03:50 »
For my desktop I have a dell xps. It’s just as fast. Way cheaper. You can use whatever backlit keyboard and mouse you want with it. But for laptop I have an Alienware because of the cool keyboard and alien logo that light up lol it’s pretty much, do you need the lit up alien logo or not. If not, then dell is the same and has the same warranty. Otherwise like you said, build one. More fun and Can use leds inside the case and everything flashy!  :cool:  :thumb: Not sure if you will ever read this though, I’m sure you already bought something.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 14:31:47 »
I have a ROG Zephyrus as my development (and very little gaming) laptop. Awesome, actually.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W