Author Topic: My bargain factory-refurb Logitech K840 (Romer-G switches)  (Read 7766 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
My bargain factory-refurb Logitech K840 (Romer-G switches)
« on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 06:36:18 »
I finally had a chance to drive down to WA and pick up the manufacturer-refurbished Logitech K840 from the deal I posted about here last month, and thought I'd let you know how it turned out. First, a couple of crappy-but-good-natured late-nite phone-cam photos:

194970-0

194972-1

(I couldn't resist setting up the first one like a beer commercial.)

Omron has indeed improved their Romer-G switches since I tried them a few years ago. The closest comparison I can make is to tactile, medium-stiff Cherry MX Clears. Romers aren't as markedly tactile, though, and have a shorter travel. Thus I find I can type faster on them, with less distraction, and more comfortably over longer periods, than I could on Clears.

As others have mentioned, the K840's spacebar seems a bit loud. This is mostly because the other keys are so quiet, though. I think someone here has found a way to quiet it down. Meanwhile, I just press it more softly—no problem.  :?)

The pad printing is somewhat of a letdown on such an otherwise classy-looking board. But as I've said many times: If you wash your hands before you sit down to type, PP legends can last for years. Dirty hands are what wear them out, IMHO.

For just over $40, I consider this a sweet deal, and a worthy addition to the fine typing machines I'm privileged to peck on.

The deal I originally mentioned of $42.95 shipped is still in effect.

I see another vendor is offering refurbed K840s here for just $37.99 shipped. However, they're "seller refurbished" rather than "manufacturer refurbished", and have only a 30-day warranty versus 90—so you may be taking more chances there, dunno.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 May 2018, 06:38:33 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: My bargain factory-refurb Logitech K840 (Romer-G switches)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 18:31:25 »
Ah, I should've also mentioned:

_ True to the description, this vendor's board arrived with no signs whatsoever of prior use. (Nice!)

_ I have no financial interest in either of these particular offers.

_ You shouldn't wear brown shoes with a blue suit (but most of you have enough fashion sense to know that).
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 13:40:59 »
Romer-G was one of the worst switches I had tried back when they came out. If they've really improved since then, that would be interesting to revisit. I'd still never buy one for everyday use though since they will not have any keycap compatibility.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:35:10 »
Romer-G was one of the worst switches I had tried back when they came out. If they've really improved since then, that would be interesting to revisit. I'd still never buy one for everyday use though since they will not have any keycap compatibility.

Yes, they apparently did improve them a while back—here's one GH thread about it.

For what it's worth, I'm still typing on this! Normally I like to change boards every few days just for variety. But this is one of those unusual boards I can type on indefinitely without getting tired of it, or even thinking, "Well, this is fine, but it'd be fun to type on [other switch type] now..."

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 23:53:05 »
I actually own the original G910 and actually still use it right now for about 2+ years at home for gaming, and after getting my Ducky Shine 4 (MX Brown) for work, it feels much different and notice the Romer G is actually pretty bad. I am very interested in trying the new one since I am in the market to purchase a new gaming/home use board

Offline nimblejacks

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 09:30:28 »
I was always attracted to the classy metal finish but could never justify it with those Romer-G switches.