Author Topic: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (CLOSED)  (Read 493171 times)

Offline Rayoui

Re: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (SHIPPING + POLL on extra parts)
« Reply #1650 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 22:14:46 »
I use 62g ergo clears for most of my builds. They usually feel a little grainy for the first couple weeks but wear in fairly quickly. I can even feel the difference between the alphas and lesser used switches (like F12) after a couple of weeks.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1651 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 01:00:31 »
I use 62g ergo clears for most of my builds. They usually feel a little grainy for the first couple weeks but wear in fairly quickly. I can even feel the difference between the alphas and lesser used switches (like F12) after a couple of weeks.

had the same thing with my mx blacks in another build, and my weird clears in this build

switches just have a break in time, i think
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1652 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 08:38:08 »
Potentially stupid question - just built my Mira, first time I've had a board with a Leeku PCB and I've having trouble programming it. I can flash the basic firmware (version L3_171209) just fine it seems, but JigOn gives me a "connection fail" error every time I try to connect to set up my keymap. If I understand correctly, there's no bootloader mode right? What am I missing?

Are you using a USB 2 port? I recall issues with a USB 3 port.

Tried using several different USB cables and ports as some folks have said to do; same outcome every time.

Offline hervuli

« Reply #1653 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 09:11:01 »
Potentially stupid question - just built my Mira, first time I've had a board with a Leeku PCB and I've having trouble programming it. I can flash the basic firmware (version L3_171209) just fine it seems, but JigOn gives me a "connection fail" error every time I try to connect to set up my keymap. If I understand correctly, there's no bootloader mode right? What am I missing?

Tried both USB 2 and USB 3 ports - same thing :(

Turns out when I try to upload my keymap into the board from JigOn, even after "connection fail," it gives me "update fail" but the keymap actually takes. But if I unplug the board and plug it back in, it's back to default. So clearly it's communicating with the board somehow, but not fully.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1654 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 11:53:42 »

Turns out when I try to upload my keymap into the board from JigOn, even after "connection fail," it gives me "update fail" but the keymap actually takes. But if I unplug the board and plug it back in, it's back to default. So clearly it's communicating with the board somehow, but not fully.

did you run the batch file or are you just using the keymapper?

run the loadfw batch file and try again
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #1655 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 12:20:18 »
I personally think stock MX Browns have their charm, though for some odd reason I find them by far the best with thin ABS OEM profile keycaps, especially those with that "soft touch" rubberized coating.  Recently I got a sampler of Kailh switches from NovelKeys, and I think everyone who hates Cherry MX Browns should give Kailh Browns (regular and BOX Browns) a serious consideration.  The bump is strong and quick, which is the complaint about Cherry Browns.  But I actually like the "long bump" of Cherry MX Clears and Cherry MX Browns -- it's just different and to me has nice tactility, combined with long travel distance.  I feel like I'm getting a relaxing finger massage typing on MX Browns with OEM profile keycaps, trying to not bottom out.  (I don't have any of those anymore, but I used to have a couple of keyboards like that, and sometimes I still try them on store displays).

who are you and what have you done with photoelectric

I’m confused...  This has been my opinion about Cherry switches for years.  Nothing new.

Ah that's interesting, I'm ok with the weight, it just doesn't feel like there is enough of a bump for me. Like a switch that is in between a tactile and a linear or something. I've been trying to decide what switches to use for my M65 and that gives me some food for thought. I've only heard great things about the new kailh box/non box switches but there are so many and a lot of them are clicky which I'm not sure I'm after. Maybe I should have a look at the browns or burnt orange? (I think there was something a bit off with the first burnt orange batch but it has been fixed now right?) Also, I assume they can be opened and lubed the same as a regular mx/clone, just a different mechanism for opening and closing? Are the particularly pingy at all or loud on the upstroke? Even if they are I find lube usually minimises this from my experience.

I agree that there are far too many MX-compatible switches now to make an informed decision.  For Kailh, I recommend a switch tester pack like the one from novelkeys.  There are still a bunch of other brands beyond those as well, for which you can also get samples.  I decided I’m fine not knowing how every switch compares to every other switch as long as every one of my boards is different enough from others and is enjoyable to type on (and I only keep a handful of keyboards).

Yeh I think that is the most sensible approach, those hako ones sound interesting too. I'll go for a kailh variety pack and see what I think.

Offline hervuli

« Reply #1656 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 20:03:35 »

Yeah, I run loadfw every time I connect the board before running JigOn - still get the connection fail message. And I've tried using both L3_171209.zip (latest version) and L3_170419.zip (version # matches with JigOn). Same thing each time :(
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1657 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 20:22:43 »

Yeah, I run loadfw every time I connect the board before running JigOn - still get the connection fail message. And I've tried using both L3_171209.zip (latest version) and L3_170419.zip (version # matches with JigOn). Same thing each time :(

weird, never heard of this issue before

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1658 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 21:32:27 »
I actually had this happen to me as well. I was able to customize my layout but wanted to change it a couple days later and kept getting the “connection failed” message. I ended up using a different computer and it worked fine. Must be some kind of weird USB issue.

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #1659 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 21:42:01 »
After unzipping and running the loadfw flash file (version L3_171209.zip) I deleted the JigOn folder and re-extracted just the JigOn zip (version JigOn_170419.zip).  I was able to connect and flash fine after that.  I should mention keymapping flash would always work (even though update failed would always pop up).  I did have issues controlling LEDs however when I was in the state of being unable to connect to the PCB.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1660 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 00:19:02 »
After unzipping and running the loadfw flash file (version L3_171209.zip) I deleted the JigOn folder and re-extracted just the JigOn zip (version JigOn_170419.zip).  I was able to connect and flash fine after that.  I should mention keymapping flash would always work (even though update failed would always pop up).  I did have issues controlling LEDs however when I was in the state of being unable to connect to the PCB.

i had the same issue, definitely firmware

always update a leeku PCB when it shows up

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1661 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 21:00:04 »
such a good looking board. hope there's a R2 w no/optional diffuser and spots for bumpons one day. one can dream.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #1662 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 00:55:45 »
such a good looking board. hope there's a R2 w no/optional diffuser and spots for bumpons one day. one can dream.

I'd join that gb in an instant

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1663 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 08:11:07 »
Currently I'm not planning on a round 2 in the foreseeable future. I do plan on a numpad. After that we will see.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1664 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 12:39:21 »
Currently I'm not planning on a round 2 in the foreseeable future. I do plan on a numpad. After that we will see.

This needs to be in big bold letters on the main page

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1665 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:37:46 »
For anyone waiting for replacement parts, thank you for your patience!  Now that the Chinese New Year festivities are over, we hope to get the ball rolling on the replacements.

Those who've reported incorrect spacebar stabilizer wire should have received a replacement from Zeal (or in the case of 1-2 people, it might still be in transit). 

It's been a good while now since the kits have been delivered, so I'm going to assume almost everyone has reported any bothersome issues at this point.  If not, now is a good time!

P.S.: If anyone ends up wanting an extra PCB for whatever reason, ninjadoc got some extras (please contact him directly).
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:41:41 by Photoelectric »

Offline sunnywala

« Reply #1666 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 12:33:59 »
Hi Photo,

My board is also affected by the anodization defect around the Mira logo as well. Is anything being done to address this issue?

I haven't watched the thread as close lately.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1667 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 13:56:20 »
Hi Photo,

My board is also affected by the anodization defect around the Mira logo as well. Is anything being done to address this issue?

I haven't watched the thread as close lately.

A detailed photograph would be helpful.  I would say expecting absolute perfection from all angles in all light conditions in the area of the logo would not have a happy outcome, as apparently it’s a tricky area for even dying and anodizing, and some parts fared better than others.  If your top has an obvious uneven look, please document it, and I’ll add it to the list of parts for review/replacement. 

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1668 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 08:02:14 »

I got the Mira S.E. (Sifo's Edition) :p

Keyset is Imsto blue blanks, and thanks for the ease of mind, was a bit worried about the rust.

Sifo's LZ is exactly what I thought of when I saw your pictures.  Good "Sifo's Edition"  :)) :)) :))

lol just saw this. love it, well done
I love Elzy

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #1669 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 23:55:28 »
I'll be contacting buyers regarding parts with issues, starting tomorrow. I'm kinda busy recently so I can only get to a few of you guys each day.. Please be patient. Thank you for your understanding.
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #1670 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 00:09:10 »
Can I control the LEDs from the keyboard? Or do I need JigOn?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1671 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 00:26:37 »
Can I control the LEDs from the keyboard? Or do I need JigOn?

you need jigon

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1672 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 21:13:26 »
I'll be contacting buyers regarding parts with issues, starting tomorrow. I'm kinda busy recently so I can only get to a few of you guys each day.. Please be patient. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi zzjayfree,

Don't want to rush you or anything, but I would just like to confirm that I am on the list to be contacted. I don't check this thread very often so I tend to miss a lot of things.

Thanks!
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1673 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 21:28:14 »

Hi zzjayfree,

Don't want to rush you or anything, but I would just like to confirm that I am on the list to be contacted. I don't check this thread very often so I tend to miss a lot of things.

Thanks!

You are on the list.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1674 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 02:58:46 »
Any one else having problems with their pcb? After a while mine starts acting crazy, for example my x button stopped working. after i took apart the keyboard to check what could be wrong, everything started working again. i then put it back together, after a while my space button starts spamming. i then unplug/plug it, still the same, so. Maybe i should get some foam or something?

Any input greatly appriciated.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #1675 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 06:28:35 »
Any one else having problems with their pcb? After a while mine starts acting crazy, for example my x button stopped working. after i took apart the keyboard to check what could be wrong, everything started working again. i then put it back together, after a while my space button starts spamming. i then unplug/plug it, still the same, so. Maybe i should get some foam or something?

if you're using screw-in stabilizers i'd check to make sure the screw itself is not touching any pads it shouldn't. i've run into issues with this kind of thing in the past and putting some electrical tape (or even the sticky part of a flexible bandaid) in between the screw and the pcb fixed it right up.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1676 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 11:30:21 »

if you're using screw-in stabilizers i'd check to make sure the screw itself is not touching any pads it shouldn't. i've run into issues with this kind of thing in the past and putting some electrical tape (or even the sticky part of a flexible bandaid) in between the screw and the pcb fixed it right up.

i suggest using kapton tape. it has great thermal and dielectric properties (better than a bandaid). you can get a roll of 5mm tape for a few bucks on amazon. here is a pic of my pcb prep on the underside. a couple of these are overkill because the screw is actually on the other stab opening, but you get the idea

just got my zeal 7u stab last night, so i will post more build pictures after i finish it this weekend

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1679 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 14:11:44 »
nylon washers from amazon do a pretty good job as well

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Insulating-Washers-Gaskets-Spacers/dp/B01N6B5KJN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521227117&sr=8-3&keywords=m2+nylon+washer

these are what i used

1mm thick? dem

they do work but if you have shaky hands it might take a minute to get them screwed in

i had to have lightningxi do it for me, and i will never live down the shame

but they do work

Offline Vala

• :smork:
    • Vala Supply
« Reply #1680 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 02:43:23 »
I know its kinda late to be complaining, but I just finished building my Mira and was pretty sad when I uncovered the brass weight under the acrylic:

There's some major blotching and dark spots that I couldn't get rid of with isopropyl alcohol. Anybody have this issue? Tips on how to fix it?

I also had 5 SIP socket LED's not work, anybody have tips on how to troubleshoot that? Three of them were right next to eachother in the bottom right ctrl+alt+win cluster if that means anything. All the soldering points seemed fine but the LEDs will not light up. Other offending keys are enter, scrlk and <,

Still trying to get the board firmware flashed, but jigons website hasn't had the old firmware DL links working which I need for ps/2 (I need n-key rollover)... Hopefully I can get that sorted out.

Also, I screwed up and didn't clip two of the sip sockets so now there's 4 tiny holes in my acrylic  :(

Apart from the issues i've had, everything feels great. Anodization of the aluminum is on point as far as I can see, and my lubed&stickered 78g zealios feel amazing (and super heavy).

Here's a link to my build log (ignore the horrible quality final pictures, I don't have a good camera and forgot to take pics at my friend's house when we were building):
https://imgur.com/a/ZvtiP

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1681 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 04:55:06 »
There's some major blotching and dark spots that I couldn't get rid of with isopropyl alcohol. Anybody have this issue? Tips on how to fix it?

You can try polishing it with some Nevr-Dull or Brasso. It won't stay shiny for long though. Brass builds up patina over time. It's part of its charm.

Offline ninjadoc

Re: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (CLOSED)
« Reply #1682 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 05:37:49 »
I've messaged Leeku about all the issues everyone is having with your PCB's and jigon. We will see what he says about the issue.

I'm sorry about all the issues - I have no control over the PCB's or anodizing. If you look through all the keyboard GB's anodizing is the most common issue. Having talked to several it is nearly impossible to have them understand why a good finish is important to us. The best company I found was angry at me when I complained about bare spots and dull areas on a black keyboard!

Offline flopix

• Laur
« Reply #1683 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 12:13:20 »
I'm not sure if this has been asked already... but where can I find some sip sockets that don't cost an arm and a leg? Ideally in EU?

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #1684 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 09:14:57 »
I'm not sure if this has been asked already... but where can I find some sip sockets that don't cost an arm and a leg? Ideally in EU?

I bought mine on AliExpress. 200 for 7,90$, shipping free.

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesales-DIY-200-pcs-lot-240pcs-lot-Crystal-Base-Long-Pin-Hot-Plug-Hot-Swap-For/32622320922.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.T4fR5B

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline hervuli

« Reply #1685 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 09:24:14 »
Any word on the extras? Particularly interested in a brass plate and the stainless steel spacer...

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1686 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 09:25:23 »
Any word on the extras? Particularly interested in a brass plate and the stainless steel spacer...

I think they're still trying to finalize replacement parts first

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1687 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 10:46:36 »

Yep. I'm still waiting on a new weight.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #1688 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 14:24:38 »

Did anyone receive an email regarding replacements and etc?

I did not, I was just wondering.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1689 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 14:33:58 »

I received no email. I just took that as they're still preparing the replacements

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1690 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 15:52:40 »

I got a PM from zzyjayfree, but no invoice or confirmation yet.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1691 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 22:22:50 »
Like the rest of you I'm waiting on zzyjayfree and EVE to finish the QA problems. I will try to get my stuff together and start the plates. I'm sorry about the way this is ending but it is out of my hands.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #1692 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 23:47:37 »
Like the rest of you I'm waiting on zzyjayfree and EVE to finish the QA problems. I will try to get my stuff together and start the plates. I'm sorry about the way this is ending but it is out of my hands.
Zzyjayfree is a busy man. He's also handling Moon shipments, so my guess is that he needs to fulfill those asap as well.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #1693 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 10:49:27 »
Anyone with the blue Mira wanna share their builds? Very curious as to what keycap set everyone used. Trying to get some inspiration and motivation.  ;D
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #1694 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:12:49 »
Anyone with the blue Mira wanna share their builds? Very curious as to what keycap set everyone used. Trying to get some inspiration and motivation.  ;D

Just a quick search on /r/mm:
Mira with GMK Yuri/

Long live Kira and Mira

SA Chronicler on a Mira

Mira on a Godspeed Mat

Mira SE x GMK Oblivion x RAMA
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:15:58 by eyedrop »

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1695 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:15:11 »

I don't have a MIRA SE, but I do have a blue MIRA.  I ended up using BSP blue Cyrillic on mine and love it.

Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #1696 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 07:38:29 »

I don't have a MIRA SE, but I do have a blue MIRA.  I ended up using BSP blue Cyrillic on mine and love it.

Show Image

Oh boy...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1697 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 11:39:51 »

Show Image

Beautiful combo.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #1698 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 03:52:08 »
What are the latest news on Alps plates, the numpad and possible replacement parts? I‘ve been contacted about the replacement parts, where Eason said that they‘re checking with EVE or something in that direction.

At this point, I‘d really like to see, if there‘s somethig coming or not.

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #1699 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:35:01 »

Show Image

This is lovely, something like this with the white and grey caps is exactly something I had in mind. Now to find the perfect set.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL