Author Topic: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (CLOSED)  (Read 493193 times)

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
Re: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (SHIPPING + POLL on extra parts)
« Reply #1450 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 16:33:09 »
I'm using Zeal stabs with screws

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1451 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 16:33:39 »

make sure the screws aren't touching any pads on the PCB
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #1452 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 17:07:44 »

I took screws off and nothing changed, but i notice something when plugin and unpluging. Sometimes 8 LEDs are working, sometimes 9 or 10. Some LEDs light up just for 0.1 sec. May it be problem with USB port?

I have also checked with different cable and different USB port in PC.

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline Etherealsound

Re: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (SHIPPING and address verification)
« Reply #1453 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 17:37:23 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dam sexy.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1454 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 20:42:52 »

I took screws off and nothing changed, but i notice something when plugin and unpluging. Sometimes 8 LEDs are working, sometimes 9 or 10. Some LEDs light up just for 0.1 sec. May it be problem with USB port?

reflash the firmware and update the keymap

sounds very much like a firmware problem
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #1455 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 23:56:19 »
She made it safe & sound!

Pemdas - looks like I have your stabs - they'll work with my board but if you got something different and need 'em let me know and we can figure out how to get them shipped to you.

KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #1456 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 10:50:51 »
I‘ve used my MIRA for a week now, everything was working flawlessly until today. When I wanted to move the keyboard a little bit to the side, there was a burnt smell in the air. The underglow LEDs went crazy, flashed, turned on and off, while the burnt smell got worse. I unscrewed the case to check if there‘s a burnt spot on the PCB, but there was nothing unusual. Because I couldn‘t find the issue straight away, I plugged the PCB in without the case. There‘s no burnt smell anymore, but only 2 out of 10 underglow LEDs work. Work is the wrong word, as those two flicker.

Do you have any ideas what the issue could be? I made sure that no screw touched a pad and now removed the screws completely. Still the same.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #1457 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:03:29 »
I‘ve used my MIRA for a week now, everything was working flawlessly until today. When I wanted to move the keyboard a little bit to the side, there was a burnt smell in the air. The underglow LEDs went crazy, flashed, turned on and off, while the burnt smell got worse. I unscrewed the case to check if there‘s a burnt spot on the PCB, but there was nothing unusual. Because I couldn‘t find the issue straight away, I plugged the PCB in without the case. There‘s no burnt smell anymore, but only 2 out of 10 underglow LEDs work. Work is the wrong word, as those two flicker.

Do you have any ideas what the issue could be? I made sure that no screw touched a pad and now removed the screws completely. Still the same.
I plan to build mine tomorrow. That is worrisome news.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #1458 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:38:00 »

Yep, just like my MIRA. I also noticed burnt smell...

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1459 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:02:18 »
That's odd, I wonder if something is wrong the the actual PCBs.  Looking at my unassembled kit right now, the bottom under the PCB is a solid sheet of acrylic, and at the top there's the plate separated by the switches.  In theory there's the USB port that would touch the case and maybe the plate, but I see in one reported case the plate is silver anodized aluminum.  Anodized aluminum surface is non-conductive.

edit: good note about the screw-in stabilizers above, I'd make sure they are well-insulated from any pads on the PCB the screws might cover, such as by putting in small bits of electrical tape, or cut a "washer" out of electrical tape to go under the screws.  That could be the culprit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:22:13 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1460 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:33:34 »
Hmm. Static? Are you with issues using bumpons?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1461 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 15:04:31 »
That's odd, I wonder if something is wrong the the actual PCBs.  Looking at my unassembled kit right now, the bottom under the PCB is a solid sheet of acrylic, and at the top there's the plate separated by the switches.  In theory there's the USB port that would touch the case and maybe the plate, but I see in one reported case the plate is silver anodized aluminum.  Anodized aluminum surface is non-conductive.

edit: good note about the screw-in stabilizers above, I'd make sure they are well-insulated from any pads on the PCB the screws might cover, such as by putting in small bits of electrical tape, or cut a "washer" out of electrical tape to go under the screws.  That could be the culprit.

uxcell M2 x 5mm x 1mm Nylon Flat Insulating Washers Gaskets Spacers Black 200PCS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6B5KJN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aO7xAbZ280A86

Also comes in clear

uxcell M2 x 5mm x 1mm Nylon Flat Pads Insulating Washers Gaskets Fastener White 100PCS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTSK5OS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.O7xAb5K2C33S

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1462 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 15:10:57 »
Those look good, I'll get a set.  Were they a good thickness for your build?  For some reason I envisioned almost paper-thin washers.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1463 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 15:12:44 »
Those look good, I'll get a set.  Were they a good thickness for your build?  For some reason I envisioned almost paper-thin washers.

Haven't used them yet. Bug me about it on Sunday or Monday.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1464 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 16:34:20 »
I use these orthodontic ligatures for screw-in stabilizers. They were about 7 USD for 1000 pieces on ebay.

Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #1465 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:03:43 »

uxcell M2 x 5mm x 1mm Nylon Flat Insulating Washers Gaskets Spacers Black 200PCS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6B5KJN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aO7xAbZ280A86

Also comes in clear

uxcell M2 x 5mm x 1mm Nylon Flat Pads Insulating Washers Gaskets Fastener White 100PCS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTSK5OS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.O7xAb5K2C33S

Thank you for being you, and always providing good advice. :)

Offline theillumedpanda

« Reply #1466 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:05:21 »
I use these orthodontic ligatures for screw-in stabilizers. They were about 7 USD for 1000 pieces on ebay.

Show Image

That‘d also a good way of preventing shorting. I‘ve used cardboard instead, hopefully MIRA won‘t die again...

Here you see what I‘ve done. Fingers crossed that this works.
https://imgur.com/a/b0rqK

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1467 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:09:36 »
Heh, do you have any electrical tape? :))  That'd be the most straightforward "appropriate" solution, as many of us already have electrical tape on hand. 

Offline theillumedpanda

« Reply #1468 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:19:32 »
Nope, I don‘t. But cardboard should work as well, right?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1469 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:27:09 »

Well as long as you don't accidentally spill tea on your keyboard, paper's probably okay.  But if you do, its insulating properties will be temporarily disabled if the paper gets wet.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1470 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:27:20 »

yes, but it's less attractive

Offline theillumedpanda

« Reply #1471 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:36:38 »

Well as long as you don't accidentally spill tea on your keyboard, paper's probably okay.  But if you do, its insulating properties will be temporarily disabled if the paper gets wet.
If I spilled tea over my keyboard, I think the cardboard itself wouldn‘t even be the worst thing, because I‘d run into the risk of shorting not only there, but also pretty much everywhere.

What can I do with the other PCB? Obviously I can‘t use that anymore.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1472 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 17:53:33 »
It might well be usable, just make sure to check it carefully outside the case, with stabilizers removed (or insulated).  Might be that a few LEDs got fried and need replacement but everything else still works.  If you have a multimeter, it'd be best, but you could start with something very simple like aquakeytest:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34670.0

to at least make sure all the switches register and the processing chip with firmware did not get damaged.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1473 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 18:00:48 »
3 Reminders for the Group Buy participants!

1.   Please fill out this survey, if you haven't already:
Here is a link to gauge interest for plates -alps, aluminum half-plates,brass, and poly-carbonate
stainless steel spacers to replace the plastic diffuser
alps PCB's
TX87 PCB's

https://goo.gl/forms/i1DOt8deZw7wdKE12

2. If you have not yet reported that you got a wrong spacebar stabilizer wire size, please let me know ASAP! (unless you don't care and are fine with your current wire size, then that's great! you're all set)

3. Use insulation between screw-in stabilizers and the PCB, such as thin insulating washers or circular cuts of electrical tape.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1474 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 01:09:54 »
got together with lightingXI today and we built our MIRAs

the washers i linked before work with the screws provided for zeal stabs, no issues at all

pic cred to lightningXI, but the board is mine

Thank you so much to Photoelectric, Ninjadoc, and Eason. This is a dream come true for me, I'm so glad to finally have this board. It's even better than I thought it would be, and is absolutely worth the wait. If there was ever such thing as a perfect keyboard, I imagine this would be pretty close.

i gotta fix the LEDs tho lol i messed that up pretty bad

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #1475 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 01:14:01 »
Very classy, Puddsy.  What switches did you end up putting in your MIRA?  Just curious.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1476 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 01:17:10 »
Very classy, Puddsy.  What switches did you end up putting in your MIRA?  Just curious.

Bsun housing, MX clear stem, MX black spring.

I call it a Bsun panda clear.

Normally I'm a linear guy, and I might change over to 62g MX silents in the future. These are pretty good though, especially considering they're just a bunch of random parts I had lying around.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 01:23:01 by Puddsy »

Offline LifeZ

• LifeZone
« Reply #1477 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 02:13:17 »

I think RGB LED Parts problem.
RGB LEDs is a serial connection.
Replace the first one of the LEDs that is not lit.
RGB LEd part no. WS2812 (4 pad type)

LZ Limited

Offline Will_26

« Reply #1478 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 02:20:43 »

the washers i linked before work with the screws provided for zeal stabs, no issues at all

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you so much to Photoelectric, Ninjadoc, and Eason. This is a dream come true for me, I'm so glad to finally have this board. It's even better than I thought it would be, and is absolutely worth the wait. If there was ever such thing as a perfect keyboard, I imagine this would be pretty close.

Holy balls Puddsy that is my favourite MIRA yet. Looks amazing and great photos too. Makes me wish I had gone Silver! Although I do love the grey :-)

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #1479 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 02:47:23 »

Thanks!

http://allegro.pl/cyfrowa-dioda-led-ws2812-b-rgb-120-stopni-2-sztuki-i7134852166.html#thumb/1 this one will be fine?

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1480 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 07:13:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Wow...  Super nice. 

Offline LifeZ

• LifeZone
« Reply #1481 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 08:26:57 »

Thanks!

http://allegro.pl/cyfrowa-dioda-led-ws2812-b-rgb-120-stopni-2-sztuki-i7134852166.html#thumb/1 this one will be fine?
YES, That's right.
LZ Limited

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #1482 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:58:56 »
Here's my MIRA SE:

Puddsy types on SA (see above)

• Night Sky Blue, silver aluminum plate, integrated acrylic diffuser, brass weight insert
  • Band-Aid mod + lubed Zeal Screw-in stabilizers
  • Lubed Tealios, 67g.
  • Weighed in at 2752 grams, built (with Cherry profile keycaps)

By far, one of the best keyboards I have built, and definitely will be one of my all-time favorites. The space-related design really makes it personally meaningful for me. I tuned my Tealio switches to reach a buttery-smooth typing experience, and I would absolutely recommend these switches, should you be able to afford the premium on ZealPC products. They're certainly not cheap switches, but very much worth it if you enjoy both their aesthetic and their typing experience.

Many thanks to Photoelectric, ninjadoc, and zzyjayfree who contributed to the design, group-buy process, and fulfillment of this design. A quick shout-out to Puddsy who is featured in this album typing on SA; I invited him to my home last night to build my and his MIRA SE. It was fun!

I hope you enjoy the pictures!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:55:18 by LightningXI »

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #1483 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:36:23 »
Here's my MIRA SE:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

• Night Sky Blue, silver aluminum plate, integrated acrylic diffuser, brass weight insert
  • Lubed Tealios, 67g.

By far, one of the best keyboards I have built, and definitely will be one of my all-time favorites. The space-related design really makes it personally meaningful for me. I tuned my Tealio switches to reach a buttery-smooth typing experience, and I would absolutely recommend these switches, should you be able to afford the premium on ZealPC products. They're certainly not cheap switches, but very much worth it if you enjoy both their aesthetic and their typing experience.

Many thanks to Photoelectric, ninjadoc, and zzyjayfree who contributed to the design, group-buy process, and fulfillment of this design. A quick shout-out to Puddsy who is featured in this album typing on SA; I invited him to my home last night to build my and his MIRA SE. It was fun!

Wow! Now that's a beautiful Mira!!
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1484 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:53:33 »
Here's my MIRA SE:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

• Lubed Tealios, 67g.

My hands btw

Thanks for hanging out, bud, was a good time

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1485 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:24:59 »
I've been meaning to take nice photos of my pink MIRA, but I have flu, and doing anything at all has been a chore.  So tonight I decided to try and capture the textures, not so much color accuracy (the actual color of the pink is a pale and creamy "dusty rose" kind of pink, changes hue significantly based on lighting).  I'll get something more accurate in good lighting soon.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1486 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 23:27:32 »
I've been meaning to take nice photos of my pink MIRA, but I have flu, and doing anything at all has been a chore.  So tonight I decided to try and capture the textures, not so much color accuracy (the actual color of the pink is a pale and creamy "dusty rose" kind of pink, changes hue significantly based on lighting).  I'll get something more accurate in good lighting soon.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

that second pic with the weight is spectacular

what set are you planning on using with it?

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #1487 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 01:54:49 »
Here's my MIRA SE:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

• Lubed Tealios, 67g.

Godspeed on Mira is absolutely perfect.

Offline Will_26

« Reply #1488 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 03:02:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Beautiful photos :O

Offline tuba section

« Reply #1489 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 09:27:47 »
Getting excited, especially after seeing Photoelectrics pink wkl! Kind of regretting not getting stainless weight and plate... Any ideas when the remaining shipping invoices are going out?

Offline Nas

« Reply #1490 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 09:41:37 »
would love to see a MIRA round 2  :eek:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1491 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 09:42:16 »
would love to see a MIRA round 2  :eek:

See you in 3 years :))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1492 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 09:53:44 »
Here's my MIRA SE:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

• Lubed Tealios, 67g.

All kinds of great :)  Love the Tealios, and the combination with the space-themed spherical set.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1493 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 09:56:00 »

I can't decide :(  The safe fall-back option is classic beige Cherry ABS with some GMK Muted accents.  I really want a set of XDA Canvas with Bauhaus legends.  Switches will be smooth stock-spring MX Clears.  But I might be waiting to do assembly until I can get an acrylic plate, we'll see.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1494 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 09:58:54 »

I can't decide :(  The safe fall-back option is classic beige Cherry ABS with some GMK Muted accents.  I really want a set of XDA Canvas with Bauhaus legends.  Switches will be smooth stock-spring MX Clears.  But I might be waiting to do assembly until I can get an acrylic plate, we'll see.

Plate matches Jane27, so not too hard to just get one cut if you want it now.

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #1495 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 13:17:05 »
Thank you guys for help. Everything is working now. I had to replace 5 SMD LEDs to fix my board.

I also added orthodontic ligatures under the stab screws (great idea Rayoui!) and electrical tape around USB.

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1496 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 13:31:26 »
Thank you guys for help. Everything is working now. I had to replace 5 SMD LEDs to fix my board.

I also added orthodontic ligatures under the stab screws (great idea Rayoui!) and electrical tape around USB.

Was there any clearance issues around the USB hole?
I sent PCB, plate, and Mira prototype to Asilan to fix that issue. If it still exists I need to know about it.
Anyone that has any issue with the USB hole on the case contacting the USB plug on the case please let me know. I will need to fix that if it is too tight. I had that issue with prototypes prior to the final design too.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #1497 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 13:33:54 »

Great news! Glad you could figure out the problem and resolve it - even though you had to go through the replacing of SMD parts.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #1498 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 14:33:18 »

I think they’re different. I asked when Riot was getting Poly plates cut and was told it wasn’t going to fit. :(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1499 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 07:31:07 »

I think they’re different. I asked when Riot was getting Poly plates cut and was told it wasn’t going to fit. :(

It is 1:1 with a Jane plate, as far as I can tell.