Author Topic: Appreciate your feedback: Wooting Keyboard  (Read 17147 times)

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
Appreciate your feedback: Wooting Keyboard
« on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 06:41:42 »
So, I'm not sure if it's entirely accepted by the administrators, but if there is anything against forum policies: Sorry, I'll edit.

I'm one of the Wooting founders, and we're working on a next generation mechanical keyboard. We're aiming for a no-nonsense and clean design mechanical keyboard with gaming at its core. With the latest developments, we're able to add a whole new dimension to the keyboard that hasn't been done before. At this moment I can't discuss or reveal the specifics, but we're releasing more of them by the week.

We would really appreciate it if you can give us input/feedback on the progress we're making. After all, you guys are in the center of the mechanical keyboard community.

We recently released realistic 3D renders of the Keyboard, see below. You check out our developer blog for an elaborated explanation, going into why we've made these design choices and what it entails.

What’s your opinion about the design of it all? Did we miss anything? Or got any questions about it?

Trying to avoid being commercial, but if you're interested you can subscribe on http://wooting.nl. You can also connect with one of my social links, or email social@wooting.nl

Thanks lots for taking the time and checking it out. Looking forward to your opinion!

EDIT: Added smaller picture, for full view and more details visit the blog post.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2015, 06:49:25 by calderoats »
Wooting– Next Generation Mechanical Keyboard.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Appreciate your feedback: Wooting Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 07:14:20 »
Could you describe the benefits of this keyboard over say, the Corsair line of gaming keyboards? (this seems to come quite close to their design)

Are you able to be more specific about the switches (actual Cherrys?), and keycaps (ie material)?

Not much to really comment on so far with the information given.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 07:27:06 »
That's interesting, you go for a design that is close to what Corsair does yet, it's much better looking.

I'll throw what I notice in no specific order:

The caps in the render looks way too scooped, compared to what it will looks.
Font is meh, and position of it is not consistent (Esc+Tab Top Left while rest is centered).

The inclined front of the keyboard will not look great with most of the Wrist Rests.

The feets that add angle to the board look very not solid, and I see no rubber on it to avoid sliding.
You might want to add pass through under the board like this .

What is the plan for switches ? Cherries only or expand for other cherry clones like Gaterons or kailhs?

What is the plan for keycaps ?

Please consider ISO layout.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 13:42:55 »
I'm sorry for not posting any response yet, but I really appreciate the feedback!

On reddit there was so much response, that I hadn't the time to follow up on geek hack.

Tomorrow morning I'll come come back on this.

Here's the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3flzie/photosappreciate_your_feedback_wooting_keyboard/
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2015, 13:44:45 by calderoats »

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 13:54:23 »
Only thing really turning me off is the font on the caps. Besides that, it basically looks like a much nicer corsair k-line board
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 14:00:36 »
The font is not that bad. However, the name "Wooting" is kinda weird. I legit thought this thread was going to be someone asking for advice on how to get their keyboard to stop making farting sounds. I realize that makes no sense. Why would a keyboard make farting sounds, and why would someone refer to that sound as "wooting". IDK, I'm just saying that is what I thought.

The board itself looks much better than a Corsair and you get a big plus for a standard layout.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 15:00:18 »
I anticipate that it will be confused with Corsair's.

I suppose that the 3D model of the keycaps is just really bad, and that you will use regular OEM profile keycaps.

BTW, the 3D render has only two keys shared between Del, End and PgDn ...

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 17:57:58 »
A few comments:

-I don't like either the TKL form factor or the floating key design, but I know that a lot of people do, so I'll leave these issues aside. Anyway, the floating key design is probably a good choice from a marketing perspective, thanks to the prevalence of morons who see the exposed plate of something like a Corsair and go, "Wow! Much metal! So quality!", even though they're actually looking at a part of the keyboard (the plate) that is metal in most mechanical keyboards, and all that is actually different is that plastic pieces which usually cover that metal have been removed.

-I think the main question for something like this has to be: what's it for? I don't really see anything about it to make it interesting. Maybe you have some kind of interesting feature that you haven't revealed yet, but without knowing that, it's hard to see what the point of yet another "normal" keyboard would be.

-It's hard to tell from the renders, but the front of the case has me a bit worried. Given what you've said elsewhere about pricing, there's no chance that you'll have a good wrist rest included, so the design has to be able to accommodate a 3rd party wrist rest placed in front of it without a big gap.

-If you want this to be a gaming-oriented keyboard, then your "optimized" function key layout makes no sense. Given that the typical gamer keeps their keyboard hand on or near WASD, you've managed to put the media controls just about as far away as possible.

-Removable cable is a cause for concern. In general, the ports for such cables tend to be failure points; they're often more vulnerable to damage than either the cables themselves or the connection for a non-removable cable (assuming that the keyboard has been designed with proper stress relief).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 09:21:21 »
I'm going to respond to everybody until so far in one post. I want to thank you all for contributing in this topic, we really appreciate the time you invest to take a look.

Could you describe the benefits of this keyboard over say, the Corsair line of gaming keyboards? (this seems to come quite close to their design)

Are you able to be more specific about the switches (actual Cherrys?), and keycaps (ie material)?

Not much to really comment on so far with the information given.

Thanks for your comment, I'm going to expand a bit on this post:

I failed to note that we're looking for feedback on the overall design and anything noticeable. We're releasing details of the keyboard every week through our developer blog posts, as we want to pace the entire keyboard and progressively improve on our initial ideas. Also we're restricted by several factors that don't allow us to fully disclose the exact details of the keyboard yet.

Most of the details I'm able to release can be found on either the blog post or through the comments in the reddit post. The latter has become quite a list of answers and questions. We will soon summarize the highlights of this post.

Everybody has his own preference in a keyboard, therefore it's hard for me to tell you what makes this keyboard better than others or Corsair. There are some dominant factors that will distinguish our keyboard by far with anything out there, but I can't go into these details yet.

But based on the information released until so far, and quickly from the top of my head:

• Compact design
  • TKL design (preference)
  • no extra dedicated keys (e.g. windows lock, media keys, macro)
  • Function key toggle, making media key layer first not secondary (more about this in our upcoming blog)
  • Less gamer flair, more mature design
  • Detachable USB
  • Standard layout = can use majority aftermarket keycaps

As I've mentioned before, we're not trying to distinguish ourselves specifically on the design (including keycaps), there are already so many different great options for mechanical keyboards, and otherwise you can just build the one you love.

So to answer the switches question, all I can say for now is that we're not using Kaihl. As for the keycaps, they'll be lasered opaque ABS caps to go with our white LED and on selected keys white+red LED backlight.

A few comments:

-I don't like either the TKL form factor or the floating key design, but I know that a lot of people do, so I'll leave these issues aside. Anyway, the floating key design is probably a good choice from a marketing perspective, thanks to the prevalence of morons who see the exposed plate of something like a Corsair and go, "Wow! Much metal! So quality!", even though they're actually looking at a part of the keyboard (the plate) that is metal in most mechanical keyboards, and all that is actually different is that plastic pieces which usually cover that metal have been removed.

-I think the main question for something like this has to be: what's it for? I don't really see anything about it to make it interesting. Maybe you have some kind of interesting feature that you haven't revealed yet, but without knowing that, it's hard to see what the point of yet another "normal" keyboard would be.

-It's hard to tell from the renders, but the front of the case has me a bit worried. Given what you've said elsewhere about pricing, there's no chance that you'll have a good wrist rest included, so the design has to be able to accommodate a 3rd party wrist rest placed in front of it without a big gap.

-If you want this to be a gaming-oriented keyboard, then your "optimized" function key layout makes no sense. Given that the typical gamer keeps their keyboard hand on or near WASD, you've managed to put the media controls just about as far away as possible.

-Removable cable is a cause for concern. In general, the ports for such cables tend to be failure points; they're often more vulnerable to damage than either the cables themselves or the connection for a non-removable cable (assuming that the keyboard has been designed with proper stress relief).

Really appreciate the time you invest, and the input. Thanks.

To answer:

1. I feel you. From a practicality/durability perspective you'd might want to have the additional cover piece.  But we've deliberately chosen for a floating key design for another reason, yet to be announced. It also helped us to add a bit more gamer feel to it.

2. The main reason behind this post was for an impression on our design. We had no intention to announce all the specifications of the keyboard. As I've mentioned before, we want to introduce all the features and aspects of the keyboard in a pace, so that we can progressively improve on our initial ideas. E.g. a major change we're probably going to make is to add some type of numpad layer on the 789 keys.

I'm sorry if I've formulated my initial post wrong.

3. This is also something that's come to our attention, thanks to you all. We need to test it out and see what the actual impact is. We might shorten the front bezel as a result.

4. Interesting point. We felt that media keys were not something that important to have on your left hand side, and you'd rather use the second layer for your own macro/hotkeys. We strategically placed the media and other keys in a compact area of underused keys. It's easy to reach all of them quickly with your right hand. On top of that we have a Fn toggle key that allows you to put the media keys on the first layer instead of the second.

Also It's easier to take your hand off the mouse to press something, then to stop walking or awkwardly position the left hand to play the next song, which you'll never do in a tense situation.

5. This is something we've also learned from you all and we're not sure what the net effect will be, but nonetheless, the masses will prefer detachables, just like we do. Just hate rolling the cable around the keyboard or dangling it around.

I anticipate that it will be confused with Corsair's.

I suppose that the 3D model of the keycaps is just really bad, and that you will use regular OEM profile keycaps.

BTW, the 3D render has only two keys shared between Del, End and PgDn ...

You're right. lol.

Actually, since it's lasered and manufactured for our keyboard, we're free to play around with the fonts. We're only restricted in the keycap mold we're using.

Not sure what you mean with that it only has two keys shared between Del, End and PgDn.

The font is not that bad. However, the name "Wooting" is kinda weird. I legit thought this thread was going to be someone asking for advice on how to get their keyboard to stop making farting sounds. I realize that makes no sense. Why would a keyboard make farting sounds, and why would someone refer to that sound as "wooting". IDK, I'm just saying that is what I thought.

The board itself looks much better than a Corsair and you get a big plus for a standard layout.

It's funny how people read it haha. We had another guy who read it as Wu-Tang keyboard. Thanks for the compliment!

Only thing really turning me off is the font on the caps. Besides that, it basically looks like a much nicer corsair k-line board

We're still playing with the fonts and icons, but in the end we're going for something a bit plain and not too "futuristic" as you would find it on a majority of gaming keyboards. We don't want to stand out with some type of special font, rather leave that job to the keycap aftermarket.

Thanks for the compliment though!

That's interesting, you go for a design that is close to what Corsair does yet, it's much better looking.

I'll throw what I notice in no specific order:

The caps in the render looks way too scooped, compared to what it will looks.
Font is meh, and position of it is not consistent (Esc+Tab Top Left while rest is centered).
Show Image

The inclined front of the keyboard will not look great with most of the Wrist Rests.

The feets that add angle to the board look very not solid, and I see no rubber on it to avoid sliding.
You might want to add pass through under the board like this .
Show Image

What is the plan for switches ? Cherries only or expand for other cherry clones like Gaterons or kailhs?

What is the plan for keycaps ?

Please consider ISO layout.

Thanks for the compliment! It's funny how everybody sees corsair line in it, while we didn't aim for it.

Now to answer:

- We're still playing around with the fonts and icons. But as you can read above, in the end we won't distinguish ourselves with it with flashy things.  Took note of the inconsistency.

- The font bezel might not look the best with wrist pads, also thanks to you all, we're looking if it will influence the ergonomics. We need to play around with it a bit more

- It's hard to see on the bottom render (didn't work out too well), but it actually has an under passthrough. Sharp noticing the rubber feet, we overseen it in the render. We're adding it to the next version.

- Going to reuse this line: So to answer the switches question, all I can say for now is that we're not using Kaihl. As for the keycaps, they'll be lasered opaque ABS caps to go with our white LED and on selected keys white+red LED backlight

- ISO Layout, we've been talking about it, and it all depends on demand. If our production is high enough it's not too hard for us to configure one. But if it's not, we are only able to do it by per piece production, which will cost more. Still figuring out the best solution here, but like I said, it mainly depends on demand.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 09:55:17 »
Glad to see that you came here as well for input, you already have my input on reddit =)
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 10:13:57 »
I just wonder if you know a kind of key switch as below or not.
http://www.bloody.tw/cn/ProductsKEY.php?pid=11
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 13:57:02 »
There are some dominant factors that will distinguish our keyboard by far with anything out there, but I can't go into these details yet.

I hope it's sometime soon because, as was mentioned by another poster, there's really nothing here that makes you stand out from keyboards offered by more established competitors.

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:31:35 »
I just wonder if you know a kind of key switch as below or not.
http://www.bloody.tw/cn/ProductsKEY.php?pid=11

I'm familiar with the switch Bloody uses. Only tested it on Computex though. I can't speak for the quality of the switch nor the real effectiveness, but we're not related.

There are some dominant factors that will distinguish our keyboard by far with anything out there, but I can't go into these details yet.

I hope it's sometime soon because, as was mentioned by another poster, there's really nothing here that makes you stand out from keyboards offered by more established competitors.

No worries, it's there. For now the most important take from it all is that we don't bring out something earth shattering, but the keyboard has totally no visual or basic functional appeal.

Glad to see that you came here as well for input, you already have my input on reddit =)

Can't miss out on geekhack! Thanks again for your input.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 06:42:13 »
Looks like just another TKL to me. The only differentiating feature is something you won't disclose, so for me there's nothing special about your keyboard until you provide details of the "mode" functionality.

I am a gamer, but for gaming I use my DIY ergonomic keyboard since a standard layout board is not very good for gaming from an ergonomics perspective, so there's little appeal in this for me.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 07:52:58 »
Looks like just another TKL to me. The only differentiating feature is something you won't disclose, so for me there's nothing special about your keyboard until you provide details of the "mode" functionality.

I am a gamer, but for gaming I use my DIY ergonomic keyboard since a standard layout board is not very good for gaming from an ergonomics perspective, so there's little appeal in this for me.

The Mode function is indeed a slight telltale of our special feature. And no it's not just some window lock key :).

I get where you're coming from. If we look at optimal ergonomics for gaming devices then a standard layout, may it be full, tkl or other, doesn't get close to it.

Keeping in mind that everybody will have their own preference, as a rather small initiative we're forced to stick with what's proven to work or in other words what's familiar to people - even if it's no good.

Pinky swear, we'll do more interesting things with form factor if this project succeeds.

Outside of the form factor, we are able to play around with different options, as we make our own firmware and intend to put it to good use for the keyboard community.

That being the case, you've made me very curious what your DIY keyboard looks like, and why you've chosen for certain ergonomic/layout aspects. That's, if you don't mind to share.

Thanks for leaving your opinion, everyone of them counts :)

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 08:30:58 »
That being the case, you've made me very curious what your DIY keyboard looks like, and why you've chosen for certain ergonomic/layout aspects. That's, if you don't mind to share.

Oobly's build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49721.0

I'm interested in seeing what the mode button does. Some form of programmability would be nice. Like the ability to change a layer or have dipswitches that swap the caps lock for control.

Otherwise, it looks a lot like the Corsair K65 which has been stated before. And I don't really see anything special in the details. Just another decent stock mechanical keyboard in the vein of the K65, Pok3r, or Logitech.

Offline nuzey

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 02:11:31 »
Wow, I just stumbled upon this thread and it really got my attention. The keyboard looks slick and the angled bottom case will make it super low profile which I would love to have  ;D

However, I think the fonts look like they are laser printed? I think I would prefer it to be either double shot or dye sublimated.

Keycaps wise, I hope they will be thick. Doesn't really matter if its PBT or ABS for me as long as they don't sound hollow.

And lastly but most importantly, the switch! I will only buy this keyboard if it is Cherry mx switches. Please do make it with Cherry switches (Gaterons is also ok) hahaha

Besides that, keyboard looks really neat and clean which I like. I hope you guys will be successful in making a keyboard that will be popular in the community!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2015, 02:13:18 by nuzey »

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:34:59 »
Wow, I just stumbled upon this thread and it really got my attention. The keyboard looks slick and the angled bottom case will make it super low profile which I would love to have  ;D

However, I think the fonts look like they are laser printed? I think I would prefer it to be either double shot or dye sublimated.

Keycaps wise, I hope they will be thick. Doesn't really matter if its PBT or ABS for me as long as they don't sound hollow.

And lastly but most importantly, the switch! I will only buy this keyboard if it is Cherry mx switches. Please do make it with Cherry switches (Gaterons is also ok) hahaha

Besides that, keyboard looks really neat and clean which I like. I hope you guys will be successful in making a keyboard that will be popular in the community!  :thumb:

Thanks for the interst Nuzey. I'm really glad you can dig our design, as for the specifications, I can't go into any details yet, but I can ensure it's going to be something very interesting and new.

We finalized the design of the keyboard not too long ago, and will update this topic with the new renders. It hasn't changed too much from its fundamentals, but it's much more refined and detailed.

Now we're very busy on the software side of things, which will also reveal a lot of the things we're aiming for.

Stay tuned, and keep an eye on blog.wooting.nl

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 23:07:42 »
Perhaps centre the legend on the tab key?

You could make the product more distinct but offering a choice of case colours.

I would prefer to see the media functions to be the same colour as the function key needed to use them.

Overall it looks good.  Thanks for asking for our feedback.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 01:04:26 »
You're doing well with listening to the feedback and adjusting the important points without compromising the "heart" of the design. Keep going, I'm looking forward to see the released product :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 08:28:00 »
Wanted to update you all that we've finished the final design of the Wooting Keyboard. You can find the entire post on our blog, or take a look on imgur.

We're still busy with the firmware on the keyboard. There are some special features in there that we'll announce as soon as it's ready. As for the question about switches, we're also taking a new approach that we can't share at this point yet.

Please feel welcome to share any kind of feedback/opinion. As we get further down the road, we'll keep sharing our progress. Thanks all.

This discussion is also active on Reddit.

As small preview:

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 08:30:54 »
i am in nederland. pls pay me for market research pre testing purposes. thanks

oh nevermind i see you just bought a .nl address but you're in taiwan.

please fly me to taiwan for market research testing purposes thanks
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 08:38:48 »
We're a team of 3 people, all Dutch. I'm the only one that lives in Taiwan, but currently in the Netherlands. We're always interested in meetups and feedback/opinions. :D

You can always hit us with an email to social@wooting.nl.

if you're serious about wanting to test the keyboard or give more insight on the market, then please feel welcome to introduce yourself. Just can't pay you with anything other than our appreciation and respect for your collaboration. :thumb:

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 08:43:28 »
Hm here's a thought, there's that little cable channel where there's a clip holding the cable as it comes out of the case? I know you all probably want us to use the stock cable but aftermarket cables are some of the most common modifications to mechanical keyboards that enthusiasts will do. The current channel and clip seems too small to allow for some of the larger cables (such as techflex) to fit.

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 08:57:27 »
Hm here's a thought, there's that little cable channel where there's a clip holding the cable as it comes out of the case? I know you all probably want us to use the stock cable but aftermarket cables are some of the most common modifications to mechanical keyboards that enthusiasts will do. The current channel and clip seems too small to allow for some of the larger cables (such as techflex) to fit.

Thank you for bringing this up. We actually encourage everybody to use their own favourite cable and carefully thought about the best solution. We wanted to avoid forcing/denting a cable but still keep it tightly in place and not to drop when lifting the keyboard.

The clips you see are flexible, small at the tip and more spacious at the bottom. They allow different size cables to click-in. It's the first ever attempt doing this, and it's yet to be tested as soon as our prototype is done, but everybody here is quite confident of it will work great.

We're quite excited about it, lol.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 09:46:13 »
I like the idea of this keyboard... one thing I'll suggest is making sure your adjustable LED backlighting level has a wide range. I hate when the lowest LED lit setting is still very bright. I like a nice subtle glow.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline Data

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 10:09:16 »
Went through your Imgur album.  Looks great.   :thumb:

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 10:15:09 »
I like the idea of this keyboard... one thing I'll suggest is making sure your adjustable LED backlighting level has a wide range. I hate when the lowest LED lit setting is still very bright. I like a nice subtle glow.

Thank you for the input, we hadn't thought of that yet. We'll soon enough be able to test it with our prototype version.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 12:27:34 »
Very interesting.  Will you be concentrating only on the gaming market?  Or would a full size model be a possibility in the future?

Several members post excellent reviews on products.  I would highly recommend sending one to one of them to make a review for posting here.  That will be some great free marketing.

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 08:48:23 »
Very interesting.  Will you be concentrating only on the gaming market?  Or would a full size model be a possibility in the future?

Several members post excellent reviews on products.  I would highly recommend sending one to one of them to make a review for posting here.  That will be some great free marketing.

Thank you for your input.

At first we will be concentrating on the gaming market, because it's (with a feature we need to introduce) by far the most interesting market at first. Once we've gained foothold, we're able to make full size versions and other iterations.

It's a good suggestion to find members for reviews. We're quite limited at first with review keyboards, since we'll be going around with a prototype that isn't allowed to lose our sight, but eventually we will definitely reach out further than our environment.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:01:22 »
Don't like the front angled bezel. Not sure why. But all design elements should work together in concert and no one element should jump out at you or draw your eye. The first thing I see with this board is the angled front bezel.

Also don't like the exposed plate. I know a lot of guys like this look, but to me it looks unfinished. I'm a Realforce fan myself, but for the switches, not design. For design, I like the Filco look. Very clean and understated. Just my two cents.

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 02:13:35 »
I really like the design of this keyboard, especially the updated model. I really like the look of the cable gutters but I would prefer if you added two additional channels: one that would exit directly on either side of the keyboard's case but that would mess with the layout of the underside of the keyboard so I guess my suggestion is out of the window.  ;D

The design is very clean overall and I love the floating keycap design but i'm not sure how I feel about the sloped front of the keyboard. Although I don't use a wrist rest, the design still irks me for some reason.

CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 07:25:52 »

Thank you for your input.

At first we will be concentrating on the gaming market, because it's (with a feature we need to introduce) by far the most interesting market at first. Once we've gained foothold, we're able to make full size versions and other iterations.

It's a good suggestion to find members for reviews. We're quite limited at first with review keyboards, since we'll be going around with a prototype that isn't allowed to lose our sight, but eventually we will definitely reach out further than our environment.

Thank you for the reply.  I look forward to seeing a review on one of the production models.  I know how irreplaceable those prototypes can be.  Definitely keep in mind the full-size market.  Many of us take our mechanical keyboards to work where they need to 'blend in' with the surroundings but require the same superior performance.

Offline Kad

• Δ E S T H E T I C S
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 17:09:32 »
Looking very stylish, I love the 'floating'-esque keycap design on keyboards and this one does it perfectly. I would also be available for product testing if that's something you guys are interested in, I love to see what the community has to offer!

[WASD v2 w/ MX Blues]

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 17:33:32 »
I forgot to mention that I highly recommend user chyros as a reviewer.  His review on the IBM F122 was nothing short of exceptional in its presentation.  If he would have had a full production crew, it would have been broadcast-worthy on any cable channel:

Offline jet2686

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:40:45 »
The keyboard looks good, I for one enjoyed the corsair keyboard, however went away from it due to their non standard layout, which you guys have. Thumbs up.

Someone here mentioned the usb pass through, I love this feature on my varmillo and would definitely recommend it on your board if feasible at all.

Offline Kola93

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:21:05 »
I like the slant at the front of the keyboard!

Do you have plans to put this into production any time soon? ^-^

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 06:32:18 »
Hi all,

It's been a while. We've been busy on our latest feature and there were some technical challenges we hadn't anticipated, but now we're ready to go full speed ahead again. I thought it would be good practice to update this post (Also actively keeping an eye on it), instead of making an entirely new one.

If you've kept an eye on the Mechanical keyboard subreddit, you've probably noticed we announced a new feature.

1. It's named: The Wooting one
2. It's an analog mechanical keyboard

It can read exactly how far down and fast you press a key for analog input. You can read a bit more about it on the blog. In its current state, you can primarily use it for precise movement in games, but this is just the beginning. Of course, it can also type and function like a regular mechanical keyboard. Oh! and special for Geekhack, it can also function as a mouse :)

Our next blog will talk more about our prototype keyboard and we'll be release more information as time passes.

If you have any input or questions that you can't or reluctant (no problem!) to find on the Reddit post, please leave a comment!

note: I can't disclose any detailed information about the switch and keyboard inner workings. We have an NDA and stakeholders that we don't want to put to danger in this sensitive timeframe.

Thanks all.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline jamster

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 08:05:59 »
I think it looks like a more tasteful version of a Corsair. I personally find the exposed key look acceptable but Corsairs manage to be a bit tacky with their branding.

I have no issue with the angled front, and think that the majority of keyboard users probably have no interest in wrist rests (GH probably isn't representative of the market, I would guess).

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 11:15:19 »
This is really quite interesting. So how would the analog interface with games?
Would it be detected as a game controller?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Bucake

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 13:23:33 »
i agree chyros is an excellent reviewer, would recommend!

in case you're interested, analog keys in mechanical keyboards has been a thing for a while: http://aimpad.com/
apparently patented tech, but still in prototype phase

i'd love a 60% with analog keys. hopefully it'll be possible one day :-)
anyway, your keyboard is exciting. i've been waiting for analog keys for a while!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 13:30:00 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 16:09:29 »
Looks very nice! I would kill for a keyboard that looked like that but was also able to blank out the "meta" keys flush with the housing.
And also switch Ctrl with Caps, complete with alternative keycaps.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 21:08:17 »
I like the floating keycap design. I also like the TKL form factor. I don't like the front slant of the case, and I don't understand why the symbols on the fonts are placed horizontally, beside each other, rather than vertically, on top of each other. I understand the desire to differentiate yourself, but this is one area where I would suggest conforming to the standard.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 00:45:01 »
I think it looks like a more tasteful version of a Corsair. I personally find the exposed key look acceptable but Corsairs manage to be a bit tacky with their branding.

I have no issue with the angled front, and think that the majority of keyboard users probably have no interest in wrist rests (GH probably isn't representative of the market, I would guess).

It's interesting you've brought up the wrist rest point. I'm hoping you can give me some more insight.

For starters, you're correct GH isn't very representative for the market, but what we love is how you guys always look at the smallest details. It's great.

As for the wrist rest, we're a little bit confused how the angled front will interfere. We've tested it out with a wrist wrest ourselves and from our experience the distance between rest and keyboard is so short, that you'll need really short hands if you can't rest your palms on the wrist rest. Unless we've overlooked some typing methods?

Appreciate your input, thanks.

I like the slant at the front of the keyboard!

Do you have plans to put this into production any time soon? ^-^

We'll be launching this year. I don't want to say too much more about it on a forum or the sort, until it's set to stone, but it's definitely coming this year.

This is really quite interesting. So how would the analog interface with games?
Would it be detected as a game controller?

In the beginning we're looking to make the keyboard as compatible as possible with existing platforms. For games this means the keyboard is recognized as a game controller with x-input, because nearly all modern games support x-input (xbox 360 controller). This method has some limitations and is very game dependent whether it works simultaneously with the mouse.

Our aim, however, is to start building our own platform on which you can start building your own applications or functions for it that you can use for games or anything else. We'll be talking more about the software further down the development process.

i agree chyros is an excellent reviewer, would recommend!

in case you're interested, analog keys in mechanical keyboards has been a thing for a while: http://aimpad.com/
apparently patented tech, but still in prototype phase

i'd love a 60% with analog keys. hopefully it'll be possible one day :-)
anyway, your keyboard is exciting. i've been waiting for analog keys for a while!

When we started this project and researched all the possible applications we crossed paths with Aimpad. We admire his work and enthusiasm, but unfortunately he hasn't been able to get it off the ground yet. We wish we could of included him in this project or worked together with him, because there is a overlapping interest, but it seems they are quite invested in other things already.

At this moment, we find the most important thing to deliver a good mechanical keyboard that supports analog control without breaking the bank. It has to start somewhere, otherwise we'll never get rid of digital keyboards :)

Feel welcome to ask more.

I like the floating keycap design. I also like the TKL form factor. I don't like the front slant of the case, and I don't understand why the symbols on the fonts are placed horizontally, beside each other, rather than vertically, on top of each other. I understand the desire to differentiate yourself, but this is one area where I would suggest conforming to the standard.

The fonts are not definitive yet, since they're lasered on. We're open for anybody with good suggestions to send us a template, or font/layout that really fits well. We're just making sure to avoid extremely ugly popular "space/future" font you can find on nearly every China made MK. You made me think, though, maybe it's a good idea for the community to decide/make a good font design for our keyboard and that person can add his/her signature somewhere.

We're not too fixated on the keycaps, since they'll be ABS, coated and lasered for backlit. So, they're good enough for a stock/basic model keyboard. And our switch stems are Cherrymx compatible, plus the bottom row has a standard size.

We'll be talking with a couple keycap manufacturers and see if we can get double ABS or PBT for a premium version, but that's for when we get closer to the production.

Thanks for the input!

Looks very nice! I would kill for a keyboard that looked like that but was also able to blank out the "meta" keys flush with the housing.

Can you elaborate with what you mean on the "meta" keys flush with the housing. Not sure what you mean with it. As for swapping Ctr with Caps keycap, we'll probably not provide them since the stock version has ABS keycaps, but we might with a PBT/double ABS keycap. Since the main gaming audience doesn't even know it's a "thing", unless they're planning to buy premium keycaps, means they've invested some time to learn more about keyboards.

hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the compliment and input!

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 00:49:15 »
You need to remove that front lip there is no purpose to it

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 01:32:06 »
Can you elaborate with what you mean on the "meta" keys flush with the housing. Not sure what you mean with it. As for swapping Ctr with Caps keycap, we'll probably not provide them since the stock version has ABS keycaps, but we might with a PBT/double ABS keycap. Since the main gaming audience doesn't even know it's a "thing", unless they're planning to buy premium keycaps, means they've invested some time to learn more about keyboards.
[/quote]

I mean physically removing what is normally the "Windows" and "Menu" keys, and putting a flush blank in place. A bit like keyboards of old, 101 keys.

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 02:07:34 »

I mean physically removing what is normally the "Windows" and "Menu" keys, and putting a flush blank in place. A bit like keyboards of old, 101 keys.

I see what you mean. We can't do it with the stock version, but if you've noticed we have swappable top plates. At a future point, If multiple people are interested in it, it would be possible to make a limited amount of top plates that have a flush blank right with the same PCB. Just utilizing fewer keys. Can't disclose more than that at this moment.

We've kept customizability options in mind when making the keyboard design. Just won't all be there yet during launch.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline luke-nukem

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 15:54:14 »
I see what you mean. We can't do it with the stock version, but if you've noticed we have swappable top plates. At a future point, If multiple people are interested in it, it would be possible to make a limited amount of top plates that have a flush blank right with the same PCB. Just utilizing fewer keys. Can't disclose more than that at this moment.

That would be ultimate!  :cool:
Will you be doing a 100% layout at any point too?

Offline ArchieTect

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:40:35 »
Two points:

1. Your renderings are showing a black top plate. That would mean the top plate is either black powder coated aluminum or black powder coated stainless steel, extra finish work. Therefore with finishing the top plate, expect to pay more for that as opposed to raw stainless. If you are thinking the top plate should be plastic, in my opinion don't do that, because even entry Chinese boards have stainless plates. If you want black plastic, look at the Novatouch. The plate is recessed down inside the plastic housing, and it is still steel. That would mean your rendering should show recessed switches, not standoffs.

Even better is a CNC steel housing and steel plate. But costs more and would price the board out the market probably.

2. Sooner or later, you have to mention raw basics about your switches, I mean actuation force and travel. You will make or break the board when you do that, though, so do it when you have figured out damn good marketing points. I would be turned off if the actuation is more than a MX black, for example. Most gamers are using blues or reds at 45gs. Gateron clears are even lighter.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:44:00 »
2. Sooner or later, you have to mention raw basics about your switches, I mean actuation force and travel. You will make or break the board when you do that, though, so do it when you have figured out damn good marketing points. I would be turned off if the actuation is more than a MX black, for example. Most gamers are using blues or reds at 45gs. Gateron clears are even lighter.

They've already said that the switches will be weighted in between reds and blacks. Source.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104