geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] GMK Cosmos

(1/20) > >>

Kaptain Mike:

Hello Everyone and welcome to the Interest Check for GMK Cosmos!
In the dark realms of infinite space lie vibrant bursts of color.

Black sets are timeless classics and essential for all collections. I aim to bring something new and distinctive for black on black enthusiasts. The colors are black and a multicolor liquid black that has subtle pops of color that become visible when viewed under specific lighting conditions. This is possible leveraging GMK’s new, custom special effects plastics.

DISCORD | FILL IC FORM

Please READ everything. If you don't like dark and low contrast sets, then this is not for you :)

July 1st, 2024 IC Update

Time for an update!
I am going to collapse most of the content from the initial IC post to focus on what is new and relevant. I want to ensure people do not rely on renders when I have pictures of real samples instead. Setting proper expectations for everyone by having approved samples is a must! You can still take a look at the initial post by clicking on the MORE button further below. Thank you all so much for the feedback and tremendous support thus far!

* Lead US vendor is CannonKeys. Love working with a longtime vendor that has consistently delivered on their GBs.
–Regional Vendors are being vetted and will be announced at a later date. We aim to work with plenty of reputable vendors.
* GB Timeline is estimated for Q3 2024. This is an estimate and can change if plans do not align.
* GMK has provided me with samples of one of the two proposed color combinations, specifically what I had chosen as the accent keys like Esc and Enter.
–This is CR (black) legends on the MLB (multicolor liquid black aka cosmos black) base. I am waiting to receive the opposite, MLB legends on CR base.
* I really, really like how the current samples look, to the point where I am debating whether I want to run with an MLB base with CR legends as the main theme instead of what I initially presented. Share your thoughts…
–I don’t really want to make this decision without seeing the other samples but man, the current samples look amazing and really leans into the Cosmos theme while still being subtle.
* Kitting: IC was overly positive but kitting is being reworked and will make more people happy, but obviously not everyone as we must make compromises.
* Pricing: TBD.
* Artisan collab announcements coming soon. Some great makers are on board!
I think that is most of the important stuff. Let me know if you have any questions or have any comments. I sincerely appreciate all the support and I am excited to keep this project moving forward. Please enjoy the images below.

Pics by @jans_keebs

Pics by @captain.sterling
Compare Cosmos with GMK WoB (Blanc Sur Noir). They are all blanks except the Esc and the Uniqey logo. Those two are doubleshot CR legends on MLB base.

Cosmos Deskmat by @roksow

Working on confirming that this artwork is possible on a rough deskmat. I am usually a fan of a minimalist aesthetic but after seeing this art, I fell in love. The Cosmos is literally everything so it made sense to encompass a wide breadth of imagery. Roksow did an amazing job representing the cosmos from a micro to a macro level and incorporating the colors of the set into the textures. Open the image and see what all you can recognize!

Initial IC Post
MoreKITS

Nebulae (Base Kit)

Cosmic Dust (Add-On Kit)

Meteoroids (Macros Kit)

Darkness (Hangul Subs) Kit
More

Kitting Diagram

Close Up

*Disclaimer: Please note that these are renders and it is very, very difficult to convey this texture/sparkle unless you hit it with direct light, but then it makes the render look strange. Black and anything with a multifaceted "glitter" or iridescence is always going to be tricky. I understand that in some of these it may look similar to GMK Dark with CR on N9, this is due to the lighting. We tried to provide renders in a couple different lighting conditions. Please scroll down to the GMK SAMPLES section to read more.

FEATURES

* Cherry profile, ABS plastic, thick doubleshot keycaps manufactured by GMK using one of GMK's new custom plastics.
* Colors: CR base. Multicolor "liquid black" for the legends (referred to as M-LB going forward).
* Legends won't be super visible. That is by design. I like black sets and it's about the details here. Less is more.
Get good (coming from someone who is looking down as I type this).
If this isn’t for you, that is ok.
* OG Cherry-style Icon-Text modifiers, not Omni mods.
* Legends on LED keycaps are pad printed.
* Accent keys will be inverse meaning CR legends on M-LB.
* Add-on kit has 4-key 40's support, extra B and alice bars and the very elite '95 Windows keys.
* Any missing spacebars are available elsewhere if you don’t already own them since we are using CR/black.
EX: GMK Mictlan, Wasabi, Stealth, WoB variants etc.
* Pricing/Vendors: TBD
* GB timeline: TBD but ASAP
* Artisan collabs: TBD. Feel free to reach out if you are interested in a collab.

RENDERS

OC2XL by @dajikeyboards

500C by @merisi.works

Sonnet by @modekeyboards

TKL by @whysoda

GMK SAMPLES

GMK sent me samples of some of their new plastics. The two seen here are “liquid black” a and b. One has red specks and the other has blue specks, both have iridescent qualities. Under certain lighting conditions, you can clearly see the blue and red colors while in different lighting it looks mostly like a glossy black. The other cap is a new GMK WoB for comparison. My goal is to have a “liquid black” variant with multicolor specks and iridescence, much like nebulas in space! The renders are trying to convey a multicolor version of these blue and red “liquid blacks” so try to imagine that. I would greatly appreciate your imaginative flexibility.

FEATURES

* CYL - Cherry profile, ABS plastic, thick doubleshot keycaps manufactured by GMK using one of GMK's new, custom special effects plastics.
* Colors: CR (black) and Multicolor "liquid black" (MLB).
* Legends won't be super visible. That is by design. I like black sets and it's about the details here. Less is more.
Get good (coming from someone who can’t touch type lol). If this isn’t for you, that is ok.
* OG Cherry-style Icon-Text modifiers, not Omni mods, not Icon only.
* Legends on LED keycaps and the Win95 caps are pad printed.
* Accent keys will be inverse colors.
* Kitting being worked on.
* Pricing/Vendors: Lead US Vendor: CannonKeys. Regional Vendors TBD
* GB timeline estimate: Q3 2024
* Artisan collabs: Announcements soon, lots of makers are on board. Feel free to reach out if you are interested in a collab.

THANKS TO:

* Special thanks to whysoda for being the crucial piece in bringing my idea to virtual life with her renders and guidance!
* Jan and Captain Sterling for their amazing photos.
* BlindAssassin111, Vheissu, Matt, OCM, Ankit, PogurtWogurt for guidance and feedback - even if minimal I really appreciate it.
* GMK for working with me and sending me samples of their new plastics.

QUESTIONS/COMMENTS/CONCERNS

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to drop me a DM over on Discord @kaptainmike

PLEASE NOTE: Future collabs TBD based on IC performance

Please show your support for this IC using the banner below in your signature!

--- Code: ---[URL=https://discord.gg/pBjHhy6P][img width=400 height=120]https://imgur.com/kJEf2cx[/img][/URL]
--- End code ---

Kaptain Mike:
Reserved

ankit:
hell yes ily mike

packman86:
Those GMK samples are looking super exciting!
In for 2 sets!

fruitykeeb:
mike bought every wob set and is yearning for more. i like :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version