Author Topic: The search for the perfect cherry profile pbt set  (Read 3629 times)

Offline asgeirtj

The search for the perfect cherry profile pbt set
« on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 07:51:32 »
So this has become harder than expected.

I bought the beige bsp set offered on originative back in the days.  It is the best set I have ever used.  But I need some keys on it, spacebar and regular caps lock.  It would also be nice to have 1,75x shift, non warped right shift and a B profile alt and ctrl's, 1,25x's ones also would be nice.  So I've been trying to find a similar feeling set but always be let down.  Nothing comes near bsp in quality.  I'd describe the feeling of bsp to be creamy, but most other pbt caps are just sandy.  I just got my gateron set yesterday from enjoypbt on taobao which I thought would be my saving grace but nay, it just isn't cutting it.  I might take gmk over it.  Makes me sad that I got both of Ivan's pbt runs on the way and they will be the same way.  I've also tried Leopold's PBT, I really disliked them also, some goes with vortex pbt (the oem ones which used to be on mechanicalkeyboards.com, I know there have been some cherry profile pbt runs on massdrop but I gather they don't feel much better than leopold and they are lasered and don't want a front faced legend set).  For the record Gateron is the 2nd best after bsp in the pbt business imo.  It's not bad, it's just not as good as I hoped, I somehow thought they would be exactly the same as bsp because they look like them. 

So I'm down to this: There is one option left which I can think of: IMSTO.  Can anyone tell me if imsto caps feel similar to bsp?  I know he has done bsp runs but I missed his last one.  There is one going on https://www.massdrop.com/buy/imsto-pbt-cherry-keycaps right now, but I'm not sure if they are bsp?  Or is imsto maybe always bsp?  I might be interested but of course this set doesn't have 1,5x ctrlalt or 7xspacebars or 1,75x shift. 

Also in imsto's bsp runs, are the ctrl alts B profile?  Are 1,25x bottom row included? And 6,25x spacebar?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline xtreg

Re: The search for the perfect cherry profile pbt set
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 11:23:13 »
Did you ever find out? Are IMSTO as good as BSP?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 10:00:55 »

subjective, but most would say no
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:19:47 »

IMSTO is the same as enjoypbt if I'm not mistaken which I would merely describe as "dirty" feeling, I really thought my caps had some kind of layer of dirt on it when I got my first enjoypbt. My opinion today is that GMK actually is better than pbt. I've had NIB OG cherry beige pbt sets since (which are even better than bsp, bsp is more clunky somehow, they don't seem to have as delicate angles if that makes sense) and they are sublime when unshined, but after about half a year they get shined and shined pbt is worse than shined double-shot GMK (GMK is the best double-shot imo and is most everyone's opinion I think is safe to so). Unshined OG cherry dyesub pbt's really are the best caps in existence in my opinion but they aren't manufactured anymore most likely because of cost and how they get a really dry and sticky feeling when shined (imo) and finding and buying new sets for 2x a year for some hundred dollars is of course not viable at all. So my current preference is GMK. They are not as good when shined but they get a different feeling of smoothness which has it's own merits imo.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios