Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 926769 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #2050 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:02:09 »
I'm not sure I understand. I fixed the Atreus layout, I then added support for two new keyboards, the Atreus62 and Minorca. I also added better File > Save/Build Firmware functionality as well and submitted a pull request. (got tired of it asking for a filename each time).

I do not want to be a maintainer of this project, as I know nothing about the internals of keyboard firmware, but my repo address is https://github.com/jcowgar/EasyAVR where anyone with these new keyboards can get the code. I also merged in the JD40 v2 pull request outstanding on the original project.

The maintainer has not been seen for months, that's why I said I don't know when/if your pull request will be accepted.  The thanks were on behalf of the community - more boards can only be a good thing :)

Most people who come here are not coders they just download the windows zip then ask in the thread when they have issues, or they ask about unsupported boards.  I keep an eye on the thread so if someone asks about an Atreus now I know it's been fixed and can point them in the right direction.  The 'broken list' is not public or official, it's just for me.

If you want you could update/add the attached configs to your fork?  The KC60 beeull posted "Works with latest Massdrop board" and correct the GH60 I did, it now supports all LEDs, and the split right shift and FN are not swapped.

Only problem is if you aren't going to make a Windows package they both need the device IDs tweaking so they don't conflict with the included wrong versions in the Windows zip, so I tend to attach modified versions to make it easier.  There really isn't any way round this...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #2051 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 14:44:15 »
So I'm having trouble with a toggle function layer, I press f3 to use it and my keyboard gets stuck on that layer. Only way to fix it is unplug the keyboard.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2052 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:45:15 »
So I'm having trouble with a toggle function layer, I press f3 to use it and my keyboard gets stuck on that layer. Only way to fix it is unplug the keyboard.

If you use a toggle FN you press it once then stay on that layer until you press another toggle FN to switch to a different layer.  To get back to the default layer you need to assign a key on layer 3 as FN3 :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2053 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 23:31:00 »
Hi folks.

It looks like it has been five months since I logged on to Geekhack.  I think it's safe to say I've left the hobby.  I still love my keyboards but I just can't find the time anymore.

How are things at the moment?

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #2054 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:24:31 »
If you use a toggle FN you press it once then stay on that layer until you press another toggle FN to switch to a different layer.  To get back to the default layer you need to assign a key on layer 3 as FN3 :thumb:

Thanks a lot, I guess my next step is learning how to put macros on that layer.

Offline physicalist

« Reply #2055 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:35:44 »
@watsyurdeal: Not exactly sure what your problem is with macros. The M-Keys are the macro keys. You simply assign them just like any other key and then you write the macro into the corresponding form at the bottom of the keymapper window. You have to adhere to a certain syntax, but there is a help file for writing macros that I found very helpful.

Filco Ninja TKL (Brown) w/ Pegasus Hoof

Offline deacon

« Reply #2056 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:13:53 »
Hi folks.

It looks like it has been five months since I logged on to Geekhack.  I think it's safe to say I've left the hobby.  I still love my keyboards but I just can't find the time anymore.

I actually just came to this thread to thank you for the software so it is very cool you are passing though.
I'm not a programmer but can monkey-see/monkey-code. I've been beating on QMK for a day or so trying to get a new build to work and was chalking my troubles up to hardware. I thought before I resoldered stuff and posted to /r/olkb I'd give Easy AVR a try. After a quick copy/paste/edit of the handwire.py file, I put a couple of layers together to test the things I couldn't get working and BAM (well, avrdude command anyway), its not a hardware problem. Your software really lived up to its name.

Thank you!
-D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2057 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 19:57:25 »
Hi folks.

I actually just came to this thread to thank you for the software so it is very cool you are passing though.
I'm not a programmer but can monkey-see/monkey-code. I've been beating on QMK for a day or so trying to get a new build to work and was chalking my troubles up to hardware. I thought before I resoldered stuff and posted to /r/olkb I'd give Easy AVR a try. After a quick copy/paste/edit of the handwire.py file, I put a couple of layers together to test the things I couldn't get working and BAM (well, avrdude command anyway), its not a hardware problem. Your software really lived up to its name.

Thank you!
-D

Glad I could help ;)

Offline nevin

« Reply #2058 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 13:59:17 »
having trouble getting easy avr to run/install on new install of ubuntu. pulled via svn but the easykeymap.sh script doesn't want to run. not very familiar with linux but looked like best platform for this. python is installed & present, got dfu-programmer to install, so this is the only piece yet i believe...

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #2059 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 14:36:11 »
having trouble getting easy avr to run/install on new install of ubuntu. pulled via svn but the easykeymap.sh script doesn't want to run. not very familiar with linux but looked like best platform for this. python is installed & present, got dfu-programmer to install, so this is the only piece yet i believe...
On my install (MacOS) I had to set the executable permissions for the script. What happens if you manually execute the commands from the script?
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline nevin

« Reply #2060 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 20:54:44 »
mac is my daily os as well but running an old verion of 10.6.8.

linux seemed to be the better supported OS for this type of development. plus, i needed to setup a new server anyway.

from easykeymap.sh:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

cd "$( dirname "$0" )/keymapper"
python -m easykeymap.gui

when trying to execute in terminal:
user@123:~/EasyAVR.git/trunk/keymapper$ cd "$( dirname "$0" )/keymapper"
bash: cd: ./keymapper: No such file or directory
user@123:~/EasyAVR.git/trunk/keymapper$ python -m easykeymap.gui
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/home/user/EasyAVR.git/trunk/keymapper/easykeymap/gui.py", line 33, in <module>
    from tkinter import *
ImportError: No module named tkinter

not sure what i'm missing...
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

« Reply #2061 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 21:02:07 »
and trying to run this:
sudo python setup.py installi get this:
user@123:~/EasyAVR.git/trunk/keymapper$ sudo python setup.py install
[sudo] password for user:
  File "setup.py", line 19, in <module>
    from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ImportError: No module named setuptools
and trying to run this:
python -m easykeymap.guii get this:
user@123:~/EasyAVR.git/trunk/keymapper$ python -m easykeymap.gui
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/home/user/EasyAVR.git/trunk/keymapper/easykeymap/gui.py", line 33, in <module>
    from tkinter import *
ImportError: No module named tkinter

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2062 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 08:53:19 »
chmod +x easykeymap.sh
Also, it appears your installation of Python on your Linux server is insufficient to run EasyAVR.  You need to install more packages.  If you are using a debian-based distro such as Ubuntu, then you need to run something like this:

sudo apt-get install python-tk
But, to be honest, you might want to check out the compiled Windows releases.  They are created for novice users.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #2063 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 10:09:03 »
@nevin: you said your daily is MacOS. Give that a try - that worked for me straight forward. When you call the easykeymap.sh, the MacOS suggests to install XCode; I did that and since then it is working fine for me.

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline soVn

« Reply #2064 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 13:47:05 »
Hey metalliquaz, if you still read this:
I wanted to thank you for creating this awesome software! I've been using a nonstandard layout for over 10 years. I was afraid I'd have to go back to QWERTZ because there are only a handful of developers left that make sure the drivers work on new systems (win/mac/linux). Thanks to your software and a programmable keyboard I don't need to depend on updated drivers anymore :) Thank you so much! Too bad you are about to move on ;(

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #2065 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 13:52:16 »
I wanted to thank you for creating this awesome software!
[ snip ]
Thank you so much! Too bad you are about to move on ;(
Completely agree with soVn. Thanks for the effort & the brilliant tool!  :thumb:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2066 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:44:47 »
I wanted to thank you for creating this awesome software!
[ snip ]
Thank you so much! Too bad you are about to move on ;(
Completely agree with soVn. Thanks for the effort & the brilliant tool!  :thumb:

*fistbump*

Offline Stampo

« Reply #2067 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 03:08:40 »
Hi, so I'm a big noob when it comes to programming and keyboards and stuff, but thanks to this software I've been able to customise my Filco keyboard (with a Pegasus Hoof controller). However, I have run into one issue that I'm having trouble getting rid of. Every now and then when I hit the spacebar it registers as two presses, and even though it doesn't happen all the time it's still quite frustrating. Some times it just counts as a double press when I hit the spacebar, so that I get two spaces between words, but other times it also ends up inserting an extra space after the first one or two letters in a word. This is just a problem with the spacebar, every other key seems to work just fine.

So I looked around, checked the help stuff and found that debounce time might be the problem. I tried changing the debounce time to 10ms with the config like the help section said (and I'm pretty sure I did it correctly), but I haven't really noticed a difference and it doesn't appear to have fixed my issue. Maybe I'm being a big dummy and asking a stupid question here, but I'm kind of lost and would appreciate some help!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2068 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 05:42:48 »
Hi, so I'm a big noob when it comes to programming and keyboards and stuff, but thanks to this software I've been able to customise my Filco keyboard (with a Pegasus Hoof controller). However, I have run into one issue that I'm having trouble getting rid of. Every now and then when I hit the spacebar it registers as two presses, and even though it doesn't happen all the time it's still quite frustrating. Some times it just counts as a double press when I hit the spacebar, so that I get two spaces between words, but other times it also ends up inserting an extra space after the first one or two letters in a word. This is just a problem with the spacebar, every other key seems to work just fine.

So I looked around, checked the help stuff and found that debounce time might be the problem. I tried changing the debounce time to 10ms with the config like the help section said (and I'm pretty sure I did it correctly), but I haven't really noticed a difference and it doesn't appear to have fixed my issue. Maybe I'm being a big dummy and asking a stupid question here, but I'm kind of lost and would appreciate some help!
No, this is a very common problem, and I've been working on it lately. I'm in the hospital right now so I can't write a long post, but try setting the debounce to 16 for now. I have realized that 6 is way too short for EasyAVR's "hair trigger" algorithm.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Offline Stampo

« Reply #2069 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 07:10:07 »
No, this is a very common problem, and I've been working on it lately. I'm in the hospital right now so I can't write a long post, but try setting the debounce to 16 for now. I have realized that 6 is way too short for EasyAVR's "hair trigger" algorithm.

Oh, get well soon then. And I will give that a try, thanks!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2070 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 20:21:43 »

Oh, get well soon then. And I will give that a try, thanks!

Not sick, new baby birth.

Offline Stampo

« Reply #2071 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 08:12:00 »
Not sick, new baby birth.

Oh, well congratulations instead then! I tried setting the debounce time to 16ms and that seems to have helped.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2072 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 23:29:40 »
A new version is posted at the DT wiki.  It adds some updates to debounce.

Here is a write-up of debounce in EasyAVR
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2017, 08:07:11 by metalliqaz »

Offline multipla

« Reply #2073 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 15:27:37 »
I have a question, how can I insert the scancode of "Alt Gr" (used in German ISO-Layout)?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2074 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:06:33 »
I have a question, how can I insert the scancode of "Alt Gr" (used in German ISO-Layout)?

So, one thing that EasyAVR doesn't have is internationalization.  That kind of feature is hard.  I'm an American so everything in there is US-centric.  Sorry.

The way it works is that the scancodes for non-US keys are exactly the same as they are for the US keys that fill the same spot on the layout.  So Alt Gr is normally placed just to the right of the spacebar where our Right Alt key is.  Therefore, if you just use Right Alt, and your PC is set to use German, then it will be interpreted as Alt Gr.

Offline multipla

« Reply #2075 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:11:01 »
Alright, thanks for your answer.
Actually I had another problem why it wasn't working, but now it's mapped correctly.
I managed to just map it to right Alt key, and it works like expected.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #2076 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:22:33 »
Hi, fellow German here. Actually you don't need the AltGr key at all. Just like metalliqaz said, it just depends on the key you want to "see". Or just imagine the ALtGr being a different layer.

Offline multipla

« Reply #2077 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 08:50:33 »
Thanks
And another question: I have my main layer on Layer 0. I created a layer 2, which I can access by pressing one key, and I stay in the new layer after that (because I set it to "toggle").
How can I return from that layer to the original Layer? I can switch to different layers with SCANCODE_FNx, but right now I can't find a way to return to my default layer
Sorry if anyone has described how to do this somewhere already, but I couldn't find it.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #2078 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 10:42:08 »
Thanks
And another question: I have my main layer on Layer 0. I created a layer 2, which I can access by pressing one key, and I stay in the new layer after that (because I set it to "toggle").
How can I return from that layer to the original Layer? I can switch to different layers with SCANCODE_FNx, but right now I can't find a way to return to my default layer
Sorry if anyone has described how to do this somewhere already, but I couldn't find it.
I think what you need to do is, put another SCANCODE_FN2 on that layer 2 and also set it to "toggle". That way you switch back to layer you've been on before.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2079 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 12:11:19 »
Thanks
I think what you need to do is, put another SCANCODE_FN2 on that layer 2 and also set it to "toggle". That way you switch back to layer you've been on before.

This is the correct answer.  It's a "toggle", which means press once to activate, press again to deactivate.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #2080 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 12:55:56 »
This is the correct answer.
STRIKE! #highfive

@metalliqaz: BTW, how's the family doing? Hope, everything went well.

Offline nevin

« Reply #2081 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 22:13:06 »
ok. been a little while since my last post on the subject... (post#2061)

i ended up running the windows version w/flip. worked like a charm. thank you very much! currently typing on my GH60/pure

my mac was running an older version of python than required, and the ubuntu i had installed on another box wouldn't run it because of the python install not being complete. (ImportError: No module named tkinter) and trying to install the package (sudo apt-get install python-tk) said the package could not be found (probably because of repositories or something...)

it may have been brought up before, but in the layout editor in EASY AVR, the extra key to the right of the shift (in the GH60 pure layout) gets recognized as the the shift key & the shift key is recognized as the extra key to the right. i can upload image for illustration if needed. got it figured out. you just need to flip those two keys in the GH60 pure layout.

thanks again for making this great tool available to us.
and if there is anything i can do to help/give back let me know.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2082 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 22:59:37 »
ok. been a little while since my last post on the subject... (post#2061)

i ended up running the windows version w/flip. worked like a charm. thank you very much! currently typing on my GH60/pure

my mac was running an older version of python than required, and the ubuntu i had installed on another box wouldn't run it because of the python install not being complete. (ImportError: No module named tkinter) and trying to install the package (sudo apt-get install python-tk) said the package could not be found (probably because of repositories or something...)

it may have been brought up before, but in the layout editor in EASY AVR, the extra key to the right of the shift (in the GH60 pure layout) gets recognized as the the shift key & the shift key is recognized as the extra key to the right. i can upload image for illustration if needed. got it figured out. you just need to flip those two keys in the GH60 pure layout.

thanks again for making this great tool available to us.
and if there is anything i can do to help/give back let me know.
I released a new version a few days ago that included an update to the GH60 from suicidal orange (I think). that might already have your fix.

Offline nevin

« Reply #2083 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 23:19:18 »
Ok. Thanks. Wasn't a big deal. Will look for the update. Just thought i'd mention it.

Oh, and I hear congratulations are in order. That your 1st, 2nd, 7th? Ha...  our kids are the greatest things we could ever create & develop....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2084 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 07:45:41 »
Ok. Thanks. Wasn't a big deal. Will look for the update. Just thought i'd mention it.

Oh, and I hear congratulations are in order. That your 1st, 2nd, 7th? Ha...  our kids are the greatest things we could ever create & develop....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
First. It's a lot to learn

Offline nevin

« Reply #2085 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 03:33:09 »
...BIG SMILE. Yes, it's a lot at first. No sleep, etc. but it gets better and is totally worth it. Hang in there, you'll be great!

Everything your parents told you about kids is true & one thing they probably left out was that you'll be tripping on their toys & stuff till they're old enough to move out of the house...

congrats.

Offline ziwzih

« Reply #2086 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:57:15 »
Hey there, this software looks great! Will it run on PS2AVRGB boards? Specifically looking to get it going on the wkl b.mini.

Thanks!!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2087 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 14:12:15 »
Hey there, this software looks great! Will it run on PS2AVRGB boards? Specifically looking to get it going on the wkl b.mini.

Thanks!!
Sorry, that board is not supported.

Offline yonghf

« Reply #2088 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:24:47 »
I have this pcb coming (Satan RGB60 PCB) and was wondering if I can program it with Easy AVR - https://world.taobao.com/item/544439476756.htm?fromSite=main
This will be my first build so am a bit apprehensive :(

Offline Francisco

« Reply #2089 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:31:36 »
Yes, definitely you can. I just got this Satan pcb and tested it with EasyAVR and it works perfectly.
CORRECTION : Sorry, I thought you were talking about the regular Satan board... I don't know about the RGB version... Please ignore this post... Thanks
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:38:41 by Francisco »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2090 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:33:35 »
I have this pcb coming (Satan RGB60 PCB) and was wondering if I can program it with Easy AVR - https://world.taobao.com/item/544439476756.htm?fromSite=main
This will be my first build so am a bit apprehensive :(
I'm not exactly sure. There is already support for "GH60 Satan" PCB in EasyAVR. I don't know how similar the RGB model is. If it uses a USB AVR, then we can support it. However the RGB LEDs aren't supported.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2091 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:34:21 »
Yes, definitely you can. I just got this Satan pcb and tested it with EasyAVR and it works perfectly.
Thanks!

Offline Francisco

« Reply #2092 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:41:09 »
Sorry I got mixed up with the regular Satan board... I don't know if the RGB version is programmable with EasyAVR... Sorry  :-[

Offline isoco

« Reply #2093 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 06:06:41 »
I'm impressed by this firmware it really is quite good. It has extended the usability of my Filco Mjt2 !

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2094 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:16:17 »
I'm impressed by this firmware it really is quite good. It has extended the usability of my Filco Mjt2 !
great, glad you like it!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2095 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 17:39:55 »
Releases are now made at Github instead of just posting links to my Dropbox on the DT wiki.

Version v2.05.02 is posted today with the following updates

• Optimization tweaks and code cleanup
  • Add support for ACPI power buttons
  • Expand media keys support

This builds on the previous release, which incorporated jcowgar's work

Offline blacka66

« Reply #2096 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:02:24 »
Found a problem, can not use the "Boot mode" function,Press it Key,not into bootloader mode

Device manager inside the HID Keyboard Drvice disappear and there will not enter the dfu mode?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2097 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:15:45 »
Found a problem, can not use the "Boot mode" function,Press it Key,not into bootloader mode

Device manager inside the HID Keyboard Drvice disappear and there will not enter the dfu mode?

What keyboard are you using?

Offline blacka66

« Reply #2098 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:43:21 »

SELF MADE For 32U4  (LAYOUT is almost the same as GH60)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 March 2017, 21:49:53 by blacka66 »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2099 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 07:51:30 »

SELF MADE For 32U4  (LAYOUT is almost the same as GH60)

Make sure Teensy=False if you are not using a Teensy controller.