Author Topic: Matias Quiet Pro mini - good keyboard, terrible feet  (Read 2992 times)

Offline IAmTheGuy

Matias Quiet Pro mini - good keyboard, terrible feet
« on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:41:20 »
After hearing about the Matias Quiet Pro Mini on the forums I went ahead and purchased one to try out the Quiet switches.  It turns out that the switches are good but  the feet are terrible. 

I had read about the the feet being small but I did not expect it to be as serious as it is.  The keyboard literally slide away form me as I type. 

There seems to be two reasons for this problem.  First, the rubber feet is too small too thin and too hard.  It does not have good contact with the desk, and does not provide good traction at its surface. 

Second, the top half of the keyboard rests on the back of the height adjustable feet.  These feet, when in their retracted position are dome-shaped; on top of that, they have a glossy finish in line with the rest of the body ,which, aside from scratching on contact with the table also provide no traction whatsoever.  In-fact they remind me of the skates on the bottom of a gaming mouse.  The only way to make it more slippery is if you coat it in Teflon.

There are raised flat portions surrounding the feet that acts as hinges and prevent the feet from over extending in the down positions.  It seemed intuitive  that these flat areas should also double as the contact surface with the table when the feet are in a retracted position.  This ,however, is not the case. The flat areas are 1-2 milimeters shy of making contact with the table.  The dome-shaped back of the key protrude just slightly above the flats. 

The situation is improved if the height adjustable feet are extended.  This gives the bottom rubber feet better contact with the table.  However, since rubber feet are small to begin with, the traction remains poor.

The keyboard construction, key-cap quality, switches feel and key layout are all excellent and is rightfully praised in other posts.  The poor footing is really an unfortunate but serious flaw.

Offline Belfong

Re: Matias Quiet Pro mini - good keyboard, terrible feet
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 20:30:32 »
I have the Quiet Pro full keyboard and it's the same as well. I have to extend the adjustable height feet and that stabilize it  somewhat but I just wonder why Matias didn't put more rubber.

On the other hand, even a HHKB has very small rubber footprint. I wonder why is that? I doubt it is the cost. It can't be aesthetics. What then?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 21:57:33 »
I have the Quiet Pro full keyboard and it's the same as well. I have to extend the adjustable height feet and that stabilize it  somewhat but I just wonder why Matias didn't put more rubber.

On the other hand, even a HHKB has very small rubber footprint. I wonder why is that? I doubt it is the cost. It can't be aesthetics. What then?

I wouldn't worry about it, every manufacturer of keyboards world-wide get stingy when it comes to rubber feet placements on the base of their keyboards.  Just buy an extra pack at your local hardware store or get some off Ebay. 

I always get some more rubber feet to finish off a keyboard for hardcore usage  :thumb: .

Offline paco

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 05:15:19 »
I bought the Mini Quiet Pro and my experience and observations is exactly like the OP.

I am wondering... why do keyboards still have feet for positive tilt still in the 21st century? Isn't a known fact that if you give some tilt to a keyboard, it should be negative anyway? I bought a keyboard tray that I still have to install, so that I can give the tilt I need to my input devices.

I have to type on my Mini Quiet Pro with the feet extended because if I leave them shut like they should be, the keyboard is not stable on the flat surface it is located on.

I am not sure I keep the keyboard, but if I do, I plan on ripping the feet out.

It is too bad because I love the switches and the sound of the keyboard. A truly satisfying keyboard with a couple of bad design decisions.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:58:11 »
If you like the keyboard, why not get some rubber feet and stick on it with double sided tape instead of something drastic like ripping out the feet?

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 00:39:49 »
If you have a desk that is too tall, extending the back feet for a positive tilt can help. I'd like to say its a rare case but all the desks at my work are really tall.

I'm considering getting this keyboard because I've heard good things about Matias switches.  Thpanks for the warning. I might get some extra feet or those liners you put in cabinets in your kitchen. Maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1344559-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAS/ref=zg_bs_3744211_11

Offline paco

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:02:38 »
If you like the keyboard, why not get some rubber feet and stick on it with double sided tape instead of something drastic like ripping out the feet?

That is actually a very good idea.

If I keep the keyboard, I'll go with that trick.

Thanks.

Offline paco

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:05:08 »
If you have a desk that is too tall, extending the back feet for a positive tilt can help. I'd like to say its a rare case but all the desks at my work are really tall.

I'm considering getting this keyboard because I've heard good things about Matias switches.  Thpanks for the warning. I might get some extra feet or those liners you put in cabinets in your kitchen. Maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1344559-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAS/ref=zg_bs_3744211_11

I have the Mini Quiet Pro and I don't think the liners would be thick enough. I would go for a thicker material.

The keyboard is otherwise very good. If you primarily value tactile feeling and sound in a keyboard (and who doesn't?) then you will be glad you chose the Matias.