Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3497369 times)

Offline BlueBär

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #4700 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:15:15 »
Stop listening for the ping and you won't hear it.

I use thick PBTs for my Alphas on 65g vintage blacks, they sound lovely. The spacebar sound really sticks out.

Yeah I think it's what moose was saying with the heavy spring's return. You have a light spacebar (Thin ABS) and a heavy spring. Maybe swap in a PBT spacebar? Or swap the spring out for something lighter?

I only have the one that's currently on the board and another thin ABS one. The switch also pings with the spacebar removed, so yes, it's the spring that's too heavy for the keycap :(
I changed it to 67g and that fixed it. Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4701 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:16:40 »
I only have the one that's currently on the board and another thin ABS one. The switch also pings with the spacebar removed, so yes, it's the spring that's too heavy for the keycap :(
I changed it to 67g and that fixed it. Thanks!

I love happy endings :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4702 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:21:07 »
I love happy endings :D

Me too, buddy. Me too...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4703 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:09:48 »
I'm pretty sure the Cherry G80-1813HFX is 2KRO, is it possible to modify it to 4KRO or 6? HOW TO DO THIS?!  ;D

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #4704 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:52:05 »
I'm pretty sure the Cherry G80-1813HFX is 2KRO, is it possible to modify it to 4KRO or 6? HOW TO DO THIS?!  ;D
Not possible to my knowledge.  They have in-switch diodes which limit you to 2KRO

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4705 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:59:56 »
 :( oh well, thanks anyways.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4706 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:26:52 »
Probably a stupid question, but whatever...  I see a bunch of 'replacement keycaps' GBs happening.  What is stopping you from just buying a whole set?

Links?

The only two I see in the first few pages are R3 and R4 replacements, which I understand to be replacement for faulty or missing sets from the original R3 and R4 GBs.

I thought this one had 'Replacements' in its title originally: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50159.0

This one also has 'replacements' in the title: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20485.0

I thought I had seen another example of this from a while ago when doing some searching as well.  I was just wondering if there was a concept of being able to get only a few replacements keys, but not an entire set.  I am not thinking of a specific GB right now, but I saw it in a couple places, so I figured I would ask.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4707 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:29:03 »
Probably a stupid question, but whatever...  I see a bunch of 'replacement keycaps' GBs happening.  What is stopping you from just buying a whole set?

Links?

The only two I see in the first few pages are R3 and R4 replacements, which I understand to be replacement for faulty or missing sets from the original R3 and R4 GBs.

I thought this one had 'Replacements' in its title originally: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50159.0

This one also has 'replacements' in the title: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20485.0

I thought I had seen another example of this from a while ago when doing some searching as well.  I was just wondering if there was a concept of being able to get only a few replacements keys, but not an entire set.  I am not thinking of a specific GB right now, but I saw it in a couple places, so I figured I would ask.

7bit and the GB runners at DeskThority are just calling the buy "replacements", it's actually a full set GB.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4708 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:58:29 »

Links?

7bit and the GB runners at DeskThority are just calling the buy "replacements", it's actually a full set GB.

Thank you.  :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4709 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:06:22 »
The reason they are called "replacements" is because they are designed to completely replace the keycaps on your Filco, QFR, etc. without the need for any special caps. For instance, you can use keycaps from old Cherry boards to replace your modern keycaps, but you will need to find a certain number of additional keycaps (aka moogle kit) to be able to use them with your modern keyboard.

Since they were called "replacements" in the original mass order, the naming convention stuck for subsequent rounds of full set keycap group buys.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4710 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 10:27:38 »
What profile are topre caps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4711 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 10:30:33 »
What profile are topre caps?

I'm not quite sure but I think they're Topre OEM. The profile felt very close to Cherry Profile when I tried mkawa's RealForce.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4712 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:49:04 »
How are korean and cherry stock spring weight calculated? I heard that koreans do it by how much force it takes to bottom out, but cherry is by how much it takes to actuate the switch.

So that leads to the second question, what conversion would 62g korean to cherry turn out to be?

NVM ITS IN THE OP

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4713 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 00:54:06 »
Which screws on the KMAC 2 are used for the WKL aluminum blocks? I think it's the ones with the rounded top in the pic, but just double confirming.

Question 2: those round screws are also used to screw the plate onto the case bottom right? I only count 10 screw holes for the plate->case is this right?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm sending moose my alu blocks (I prefer WK layout) and want to know how many screws I can safely send him :P

Offline ouimeansyes

« Reply #4714 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 14:32:02 »
No easy way to get a hold of a Realforce 23u (white) now that ek are out of stock? Is my only option a proxy?

Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4715 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:47:02 »
No easy way to get a hold of a Realforce 23u (white) now that ek are out of stock? Is my only option a proxy?

Thanks.

I'm not really sure where the best place to get one is. I know Bro Caps spent a while looking for one.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4716 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:48:32 »

Thanks.

I'm not really sure where the best place to get one is. I know Bro Caps spent a while looking for one.

Didn't get get a black one?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4717 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 16:05:49 »
As you all know, there is a new Clack sale on EliteKeyboards. I thought it might be helpful to create a mini FAQ. I've also worked on this Clack Info Thread if anyone wants a little more detail.

• What is a Clack and why are they expensive outside of this sale?
Novelty caps created by ClickClack and the ClackFactory. Currently they are wildly popular and collectors will pay a lot of money for them. I hold the personal belief that Clacks are worth the price 4Grabs and EK sell the for

• How do I buy them?
You enter the raffle. If your name is drawn you'll get an email and an invoice to pay for the Clack. The drawing date is listed on the website. In the past, there has been other EK raffles like this current one. And ClickClack will sell them in his 4Grabs thread.

• When will they invoice me if I've won? How long after the sale will it take for EK to send me my Clack.
Typically the total turnaround time is two weeks. A week to get the invoice, a week for shipping. Times obviously vary but this is a good time frame.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:04:00 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4718 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:29:12 »
How good is this: http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-AmeriKit-Learn-Solder-Kit/dp/B0009Z3JJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383178992&sr=8-3&keywords=soldering+kit

soldering kit? Its designed for beginners(which I am) and includes a practice PCB to solder on.

So is this worth it to practice soldering and then use the iron again for another project, namely soldering 31 switches for a qazpad from metalliqz?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4719 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:32:19 »
Just looking at it, it looks like a really cheap soldering iron and nothing all that great.  It also doesn't state the wattage of the iron.  It may work, but if you can afford it, I'd get something a little nicer.  As for practice, I'd see if you can find something cheap with a PCB at a thrift store or an e-waste recycler.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4720 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:40:44 »
Just looking at it, it looks like a really cheap soldering iron and nothing all that great.  It also doesn't state the wattage of the iron.  It may work, but if you can afford it, I'd get something a little nicer.  As for practice, I'd see if you can find something cheap with a PCB at a thrift store or an e-waste recycler.

What kind of solder would you recommend?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4721 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:44:20 »

What kind of solder would you recommend?

Have a look through this thread

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42824.0

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #4722 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:29:21 »
Is there a God?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4723 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:30:23 »
Is there a God?

You can't prove there's not, so...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #4724 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:31:36 »
Is there a God?

Thank you.  That was a simple answer for my simple question.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4725 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:33:22 »
Is there a God?

Thank you.  That was a simple answer for my simple question.

JD is good with the answers!!! ;)

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #4726 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:38:34 »
Is Ray the Batman?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4728 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:44:36 »
Is Ray the Batman?

They say to dress for the job you want,not the job you have!!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4729 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:00:33 »
Is Ray the Batman?

i.e. princess, apparently.

in memoriam

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #4730 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:04:56 »
Is Ray the Batman?

Princess Batman, please.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4731 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:12:23 »
Is Ray the Batman?

Honestly if I could be a batman princess.....I would be the coolest dad ever, I could finally get my 2 and 5 yr old daughters into batman!!

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #4732 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:15:19 »
Is Ray the Batman?

Honestly if I could be a batman princess.....I would be the coolest dad ever, I could finally get my 2 and 5 yr old daughters into batman!!

Teen Titans!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4733 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:44:43 »
Is there a God?

More to the point - what keyboard does he use?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4734 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:54:35 »
Will the price of switches go lower in the future?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4735 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:56:30 »

I wouldn't count on it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4736 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 18:06:44 »

Doubtful. The switch prices seem pretty good right now. You can get the big four (Red, Black, Blue, Brown) from Sherry for like $.50/switch. MK.com is selling Clears for like $.45/switch. Hell you can get Blacks from WhiskyTango right now for $.25/switch. I don't know how much lower there is to go.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4737 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 18:40:58 »

Doubtful. The switch prices seem pretty good right now. You can get the big four (Red, Black, Blue, Brown) from Sherry for like $.50/switch. MK.com is selling Clears for like $.45/switch. Hell you can get Blacks from WhiskyTango right now for $.25/switch. I don't know how much lower there is to go.

Thanks. I plan to make a 31 key pad in the near future, and a 76 key ergodox in the late future. Didn't know if I should buy the 50 pack at .60 a switch or 110 for .5 a switch.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4738 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:14:48 »

Thanks. I plan to make a 31 key pad in the near future, and a 76 key ergodox in the late future. Didn't know if I should buy the 50 pack at .60 a switch or 110 for .5 a switch.

I would just get the 110 pack if the cost doesn't hurt to bad and just sell what you don't need here.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bMind

« Reply #4739 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 11:07:01 »
MX Brown is considered a safe choice for first keyboard, for both typing and gaming. But..what would you recommend for a second keyboard? Would it be better to pick a different switch now or wait, type on Browns and then decide?
in flames we trust..

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #4740 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 11:08:20 »
MX Brown is considered a safe choice for first keyboard, for both typing and gaming. But..what would you recommend for a second keyboard? Would it be better to pick a different switch now or wait, type on Browns and then decide?

Switch type preference is preference. You should try, if you can, to see which one you like the best.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4741 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 11:16:29 »

So you have an MX Brown board on the way already? If you do, you can probably judge better after trying browns what switch you want to try next. Also, as already recommended, get a switch test kit to see what you like.

Offline bMind

« Reply #4742 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 14:07:10 »
Haven't ordered my Browns yet but I will, so definitely this will be this type of switch. I will try to get my hands on a tester, but it's kinda expensive to ship it to Poland.

Anyway thanks for the answers :)
in flames we trust..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4743 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 14:12:44 »
I will try to get my hands on a tester, but it's kinda expensive to ship it to Poland.

BlueBar is planning on starting a GeekHack European Switch Tester tour. If that finishes up soon, you might be able to join that tour?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4744 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 14:20:20 »
BlueBar is planning on starting a GeekHack European Switch Tester tour. If that finishes up soon, you might be able to join that tour?

That is another idea, however it might still take a while until my tour starts.

Offline bMind

« Reply #4745 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 17:54:23 »
For first switch I'm decided for Browns, so no hurry. It won't be right away that I will be looking for another keyboard so I think I'll be able to join the tour when it will be organized :)

Thanks!
in flames we trust..

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #4748 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 20:13:30 »
Anyone have experience with retrobrite? how easy is it to make? expensive to make?

going to need it for an incoming board

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #4749 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 20:15:47 »
I need help choosing LEDs:

Which one guys? Flat top or rectangular?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2x3x4mm-WHITE-Water-Clear-LED-Lamps-With-12v-Free-Resistors-234W-amy-/321089670304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac26f8ca0

VS

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100pcs-3mm-White-Flat-Top-Waterclean-White-LED-Light-Lamp-Leds-955-/261315351890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd79bd552&_uhb=1

I'm a fan of the 2x3x4mm LEDs.

Is there any particular reason? I ordered flangeless ones off eBay and it's been 4 weeks...so I'm trying to buy from someone else. I need these for my DS2! I even got my Clear switches before these came and I ordered them last week :(...My ergo clear DS2 is waiting for me!