Author Topic: Anyone know any good, compact, vintage mechanical keyboards to suggest?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline armani

thinking about getting a compact vintage mechanical keyboard but I don't know what is good

I see a lot of ones with cherry MY switches that are a good price but I heard they are mushy and absolute trash to use

honestly don't want to spend more than $60-$70 either

I prefer keyboards with ALPS switches and Windows keys, however I am definitely willing to try out something else with different switches and such!

Offline yui

Re: Anyone know any good, compact, vintage mechanical keyboards to suggest?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 01:12:43 »
if you did not have such a tight budget (same here) a kishsaver (model F 66 keys) would have been the perfect answer. The Cherry G80-11900 is often pretty cheap on ebay, it is a cherry keyboard with integrated track pad and the numpad is placed above the main keyboard (giving it less width and more height) but is not really vintage as it is still built. in the same vein but smaller and more merican there is the TG3 KBA-BLT (cop car keyboard) this time more compact but also still produced.
The problem with what you want is that vintage keyboard for the most part are huge and the few compact ones sells for a ton of money because every enthusiast wants them.
so good luck
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline armani

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 18:51:33 »
if you did not have such a tight budget (same here) a kishsaver (model F 66 keys) would have been the perfect answer. The Cherry G80-11900 is often pretty cheap on ebay, it is a cherry keyboard with integrated track pad and the numpad is placed above the main keyboard (giving it less width and more height) but is not really vintage as it is still built. in the same vein but smaller and more merican there is the TG3 KBA-BLT (cop car keyboard) this time more compact but also still produced.
The problem with what you want is that vintage keyboard for the most part are huge and the few compact ones sells for a ton of money because every enthusiast wants them.
so good luck
thank you! wish i could buy a kishsaver but wow they're super expensive lol

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 19:42:49 »
If you are patient there is the SIIG Mini Touch but they don't turn up often and may be above your target price.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline gnho

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 20:47:08 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/fd2yo1/uswi_h_btc5100c_w_paypal/

This may be your answer. I do not know much about the keyboard but it's with in your price range. I just got my F77 from Joe and am typing on it right now. I am thinking about picking up a kishsaver from him later for sure. It's so loud but also so pleasant to type on!

Offline mode

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 02:08:20 »
If you can accept the slightly weird layout, an apple M0116 or M0118.

Converted to usb with a teensy, and programmed with nice layers it's a really nice board, if you're ok with remapping the bottom row to your liking.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 15:44:57 »
God, STAY AWAY FROM CHERRY MY, or more commonly known as the mechanical switches designed to feel like rubber dome. Yuck I feel filthy just thinking about it.

BTC 5100c is some with slider. It arguably the best that rubber dome can get, but it is at the end of the day a rubber dome.

If you want vintage AND compact then your best option is the SIIG minitouch with monterey switches, aka SMK 2nd gen clickly switches. Some minitouch comes with alps skcm white alps though, so that is also great but the first option is by far the best. Be careful with SIIG minitouch plus, that is a rebranded BTC 5100c, or the other way around I dont remember.

The more common one you may encounter is the Cherry MX 11800, which can have brown or black switches. This is I think a good option. They can come under the brand of compaq, so be aware. An example:
https://www.redmarket.store/product-page/compaq-mx-11880

Also, the store I just linked above is a great place, I  am not in the States but the prices proposed here is very good. Saw his post on Reddit so I thought I would share. Good luck and have fun mate!

P/S: beware that alps is not for eveyone as it is heavy :D

Offline armani

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 19:26:07 »
God, STAY AWAY FROM CHERRY MY, or more commonly known as the mechanical switches designed to feel like rubber dome. Yuck I feel filthy just thinking about it.

BTC 5100c is some with slider. It arguably the best that rubber dome can get, but it is at the end of the day a rubber dome.

If you want vintage AND compact then your best option is the SIIG minitouch with monterey switches, aka SMK 2nd gen clickly switches. Some minitouch comes with alps skcm white alps though, so that is also great but the first option is by far the best. Be careful with SIIG minitouch plus, that is a rebranded BTC 5100c, or the other way around I dont remember.

The more common one you may encounter is the Cherry MX 11800, which can have brown or black switches. This is I think a good option. They can come under the brand of compaq, so be aware. An example:
https://www.redmarket.store/product-page/compaq-mx-11880

Also, the store I just linked above is a great place, I  am not in the States but the prices proposed here is very good. Saw his post on Reddit so I thought I would share. Good luck and have fun mate!

P/S: beware that alps is not for eveyone as it is heavy :D
The SIIG and the Compaq are definitely in consideration, I personally really like white ALPS but it honestly doesn't matter what switch, as long the feel is good

Man, that store has some killer deals compared to what I see on ebay, might buy something off there eventually!