Author Topic: [IC] SA SNES  (Read 183617 times)

Offline psxndc

Re: [IC] MT3 SNES
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 16:16:23 »
You're a good egg, Voodoo. Again, just brought it up since Drop specifically is hit or miss on this. Appreciate it!
Ortho. Always.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #251 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 16:33:12 »
You're a good egg, Voodoo. Again, just brought it up since Drop specifically is hit or miss on this. Appreciate it!

Based on the fact that Susuwatari has good coverage, it shouldn't be a problem. ;)

(Not complete, I know...)
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 16:34:51 by voodoo6k »

Offline darkfrost

« Reply #252 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 18:31:02 »
The switch to MT3 is intresting - not a profile I know much about, but looking it up it seems similar enough to SA - can't find a decent side on comparison of the profile for each row anywhere, but I'm still interested :)

I prefer the centered text too, so that's a nice change (I'd like to see a number row with just centered numbers - no symbols, but aware we probably don't want _too_ many variations!)

Base kit + Ergo/dactyl blanks kit and I'm happy :)

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 18:36:25 »
I like the change! I'm more in than I was before lmao
Just so grateful that a 2nd SNES themed keyset isn't gonna die :p

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 18:43:23 »
The switch to MT3 is intresting - not a profile I know much about, but looking it up it seems similar enough to SA - can't find a decent side on comparison of the profile for each row anywhere, but I'm still interested :)

I prefer the centered text too, so that's a nice change (I'd like to see a number row with just centered numbers - no symbols, but aware we probably don't want _too_ many variations!)

I will post a comparison showing each row.

OTTOMH, the angles are:
  • R0: 13 deg
  • R1: 7.5 deg
  • R2: 5.5 deg
  • R3: -5.5 deg
  • R4: -13 deg
  • R5: 0 deg

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 20:52:05 »
So... ergo/ boardwalk support? I'm totally in for that. Also, would this GB be happening on Drop?

Going for a blank Ergo kit (like Susuwatari). Would happen on Drop, since they own MT3.

Sweet. FYI, since you're so graciously aiming to support Colevrak, can you make sure it's Colevrak+, which supports a lot of Colemak variants, Workman, etc? I ask because Drop sometimes only supports vanilla Colemak and Dvorak in their colevrak kits. An example of vanilla colevrak is their Domikey Crisis Colevrak kit. And example of the extended Colevrak kit would be in their GMK Pulse run.  In other words, Crisis only supports the white keys in Dvorcol's pic below, whereas ideal support (and what they did for GMK Pulse, absent a homing A) would include all the keys in the pic below.

Oh, sure. The sculpted version of SA SNES went like this:

Show Image

If we're missing a few keys, I don't think it will be a problem adding them.

Three more keycaps and you're good in my book.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 21:53:10 »
Switch to MT3 is nice- I personally mostly like it over SA at this point, except for the texture, where I prefer a smoother SA type texture.

Seems like you are targeting this for double shot abs MT3, and not dyesub PBT. The only thing I’d call out is that the mt3 susuwatari is the first and only set using double shot tooling , and it hasn’t come out yet.
Maybe massage the timelines so that people have a fair understanding what that’s gonna look/feel like before going all in ?

I think massdrop said they will be shipping those out in the next couple of months...

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 22:51:27 »
Switch to MT3 is nice- I personally mostly like it over SA at this point, except for the texture, where I prefer a smoother SA type texture.

Seems like you are targeting this for double shot abs MT3, and not dyesub PBT. The only thing I’d call out is that the mt3 susuwatari is the first and only set using double shot tooling , and it hasn’t come out yet.
Maybe massage the timelines so that people have a fair understanding what that’s gonna look/feel like before going all in ?

I think massdrop said they will be shipping those out in the next couple of months...

Unofficial estimated group buy date is Q2 2020.

This not being the first MT3 doubleshot set makes it much less of a gamble. The kinks will be worked out by then.

The final texture is still uncertain, but there are photos of samples on matt3o's blog and Drop's Susuwatari discussion page. ABS will smooth out over time, undoubtedly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 23:14:52 by voodoo6k »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 09:30:29 »

Unofficial estimated group buy date is Q2 2020.

This not being the first MT3 doubleshot set makes it much less of a gamble. The kinks will be worked out by then.

The final texture is still uncertain, but there are photos of samples on matt3o's blog and Drop's Susuwatari discussion page. ABS will smooth out over time, undoubtedly.

Excited!  :thumb: Thank you for the update!  :cool:

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #259 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 14:35:43 »
Photekq also helped in the making of the keyset

to give credit where credit's due:

So, let this be clear: MT3 is NOT a Signature Plastic SA clone! It has been designed from scratch, we created the 3D models by hand piece by piece, we did not 3D scan an existing set. Our CAD expert, Tom “photekq” Radley, is not only incredibly talented with Solidworks but he is also a member of community. His understanding and love for mechanical keyboards were crucial in designing this set and I’m grateful he accepted to be part of this project.
https://matt3o.com/about-mt3-profile-and-devtty-set/

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 18:34:53 »

I will post a comparison showing each row.

OTTOMH, the angles are:
  • R0: 13 deg
  • R1: 7.5 deg
  • R2: 5.5 deg
  • R3: -5.5 deg
  • R4: -13 deg
  • R5: 0 deg

YanboWu's Massdrop discussion comment has the best pictures I've found comparing MT3 and SA profiles.

But I think the keycaps in that comparison are prototypes, so not exactly the same as production MT3.  This is most noticeable looking at production /dev/tty R1 below.

One interesting MT3 detail: R2 and R3 are exactly the same, one is just rotated 180°.

Anyone know what MT3 double-shot convex sizes are available?  And what R5 sizes?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2019, 20:16:58 by dvorcol »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 19:02:39 »
Anyone know what MT3 double-shot convex sizes are available?  And what R5 sizes?

I asked those exact same questions to Elbert at Drop:
  • They are technically able to do R5 keys, but since there are none in Susuwatari, no tooling was created for it.
  • Possible convex sizes are:

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 19:07:39 »
The option for an R5 bottom row for the kits would be nice.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 19:36:34 »

To clarify, bottom row will be R5.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 19:40:26 »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #265 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 19:49:23 »

I asked those exact same questions to Elbert at Drop:
  • They are technically able to do R5 keys, but since there are none in Susuwatari, no tooling was created for it.
  • Possible convex sizes are:
Show Image

Thanks for the info!
  • Susuwatari's Ergodox kit below contains some R5: 1U, 1.5U, and maybe 2U.
  • If convex keycaps were always marked "UC" there'd be no ambiguity.  There have been "Spacebar" kits in some other GBs containing a few non-convex keycaps.  Others have called these kits "Spacebars & -keys."

To clarify, bottom row will be R5.

Good to know, thanks.  Similar to the 1-1-2-3-4-3 version of SA.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 19:53:59 »
Thanks for the info!
  • Susuwatari's Ergodox kit below contains some R5: 1U, 1.5U, and maybe 2U.
  • If convex keycaps were always marked "UC" there'd be no ambiguity.  There have been "Spacebar" kits in some other GBs containing a few non-convex keycaps.  Others have called these kits "Spacebars & -keys."

Again I had the exact same concerns... but I gave you Drop's answer word for word.

We'll see! :p
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2019, 19:58:14 by voodoo6k »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #267 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 01:37:45 »
I love this colorway obviously and I’m def. in on this. Looking forward to kits and novelties ...

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #268 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 19:02:07 »
This is perfect for MT3. And I love MT3. But I hate drop. Won’t support them and sadly matt3o thought it was a good idea to give them the ownership of the profile. Drop nazis

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 19:21:27 »
This is perfect for MT3. And I love MT3. But I hate drop. Won’t support them and sadly matt3o thought it was a good idea to give them the ownership of the profile. Drop nazis

I also find Drop not to be the most stellar company to buy from, but they are decent and were it not for them MT3 probably wouldn't be a thing as plastic injection moulds and tools are crazy expensive. So in a way they did something good forthis community. The fact that the exclusivity was thrown in there is just a natural business practice as they funded it all. I praise matt3o for selling his idea. To be really honest I have some really good ideas that could see the funding of a big company like Drop since I can't fund myself. Most of my open source PCBs are prototyped with money I get moonlighting as a waiter or cleaner.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2019, 19:24:54 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #270 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 22:09:11 »
Great, save money now ..

Offline catbus

« Reply #271 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 03:33:20 »
Pumped for this to be MT3. Can't wait to see the kits and novelties!  :thumb:

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #272 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 22:10:18 »
Thanks to voodoo6k for the profile pictures of SA and MT3!  Here's a rough overlay.  (MT3 R0 and SA R1 are line-on-line.)

Offline AdrianMan

« Reply #273 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 09:23:28 »
Please add 6u Spacebar option too, there are many converted FC660c&FC980 and HHKB's and Cherry OG boards looking to flex that MT3 Snes, me included :)

Unfortunately I'm only rocking 6u spacebar keyboards at this point and no 6u would be a sad miss for me...

Offline CarlQs

« Reply #274 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 23:06:04 »
Finally, mt3 in some cooler colors, very very interested in this!

Offline dabbaranks

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 00:54:26 »
Alpha and mod coloured top F row would be awesome, I'd be happy with just the Esc and Enter purple and offer the other purple colours as extras.

Offline ehagerty

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 05:28:21 »
So very interested!  I am obsessed with the profile but don’t like the plain white / cream of the alpha sets particularly that are out so far. MOAR COLRZZZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thedavefulton

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:16:13 »
Hey all, just curious if this is still in development. I would definitely get down on this set but it doesn't look like there's been much activity for the last month or so.

Offline mode

« Reply #278 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 01:44:15 »
Hey all, just curious if this is still in development. I would definitely get down on this set but it doesn't look like there's been much activity for the last month or so.

MT3 Doubleshot production is delayed even more due to coronavirus, so this in turn will be delayed. https://matt3o.com Matt3o occasionally posts updates about how it's going.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #279 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 10:20:29 »

MT3 Doubleshot production is delayed even more due to coronavirus, so this in turn will be delayed. https://matt3o.com Matt3o occasionally posts updates about how it's going.

That is correct. Thank you!

SNES is delayed a bit. I will be posting more content once Susuwatari gets sorted out.

The last update from Matt3o gives a pretty good idea of what MT3 doubleshot will look like.

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 12:43:51 »
Color me interested for MT3 ABS in this format.

Offline thedavefulton

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 21:17:06 »
Cool, thanks for the update. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one!

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 02:21:16 »
I want it!

I am a bit confused though: Will it be in SA or MT3?
I want it in SA but if that's not an option, I may settle for MT3.
Definitely getting it at some point if in SA though.
I like to make, break & modify stuff via a soldering iron, code or both.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #283 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 02:24:37 »
I want it!

It was originally planned to be in SA but has pivoted to MT3 Doubleshot. Currently waiting for Susuwatari to finish.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline catbus

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 02:29:03 »
I want it!

To my knowledge the set was originally going to be in a half-sculpted SA, but was switched to MT3. I don't think there are any plans for a SA SNES at the time. (I'm not OP, just sharing my understanding of the situation.)

Edit: Oh @J3ff_Leopard beat me to the answer
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 March 2020, 02:31:19 by catbus »

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #285 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 02:57:55 »

To my knowledge the set was originally going to be in a half-sculpted SA, but was switched to MT3. I don't think there are any plans for a SA SNES at the time. (I'm not OP, just sharing my understanding of the situation.)

Edit: Oh @J3ff_Leopard beat me to the answer

It was originally planned to be in SA but has pivoted to MT3 Doubleshot. Currently waiting for Susuwatari to finish.

Thank you! MT3 is close enough to SA anyway so it's worth trying.
This could be my first set in the profile.

P.S. Op, please cover ErgoDox and other non-standard layouts (ortho/split/split ortho, 75% ortho, etc). Sorry if those are already invluded, I forgot and can't remember seeing them.
I like to make, break & modify stuff via a soldering iron, code or both.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:58:43 »
While everyone is here... I will try to ramp up MT3 SNES and get some feedback on kits.

Stay safe.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #287 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 19:07:44 »
Super interesting set. I'd slap these onto one of the retro looking keyboard kits coming out. SSK or the Fatboy.

Definitely interested in seeing the intended kits for this!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #288 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:05:42 »
MT3 kits v1 are here.

Let me know what you think!

Offline rondg

« Reply #289 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:20:13 »
MT3 kits v1 are here.

I feel like MT3 and KAT kits forget about 75% keyboards. Please consider adding R0 Del key on the TKL set.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #290 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:20:29 »
MT3 kits v1 are here.

Would much prefer R2 PgUp/R3 PgDn to be in tkl mod kit rather than R3/R4 as it is now.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #291 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:22:15 »
MT3 kits v1 are here.

I feel like MT3 and KAT kits forget about 75% keyboards. Please consider adding R0 Del key on the TKL set.

Yes, I will move it from Numpad to Specialty or TKL. My mistake.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:30:23 by voodoo6k »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:25:27 »
MT3 kits v1 are here.

Would much prefer R2 PgUp/R3 PgDn to be in tkl mod kit rather than R3/R4 as it is now.

We could move R2 PgUp/R3 PgDn and R4 End to the TKL kit. Let me gather some more feedback before I make the change.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #293 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:32:21 »
MT3 kits v1 are here.

We could move R2 PgUp/R3 PgDn and R4 End to the TKL kit. Let me gather some more feedback before I make the change.

I think end should be fine in specialty. Having r2/r3 pgup/pgdn in the tkl kit would add compatibility for the most popular 65% and 75% layouts with fn next to shift. It would also need a r1 Del. Maybe move that over from Specialty?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #294 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:37:29 »
MT3 kits v1 are here.

I think end should be fine in specialty. Having r2/r3 pgup/pgdn in the tkl kit would add compatibility for the most popular 65% and 75% layouts with fn next to shift. It would also need a r1 Del. Maybe move that over from Specialty?

The nav keys are giving me a headache, so I might move most of them to the TKL kit... including R0/R1 Del. While leaving only the big and odd keys for Specialty.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #295 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:40:27 »
The nav keys are giving me a headache, so I might move most of them to the TKL kit... including R0/R1 Del. While leaving only the big and odd keys for Specialty.

Heck, that works too. Just make it a mod kit then? My only other problem is that I want like every single accent kit.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #296 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:51:01 »

Heck, that works too. Just make it a mod kit then? My only other problem is that I want like every single accent kit.

Well my argument for putting the nav keys in specialty was that people would either get the Power or ABXY pack which contain "X" and "Reset" keys as delete.

Using ABXY vertically may also be a possibility for 65% even though it is R5... I will eventually render it to see how it looks.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 00:19:25 »
Could we get a couple (at least 2) 1u R3 novelties somewhere, like in the Power Pack kits? I'm an ortho user and don't use escape or tab in R3 on the left side or ' or enter on the right.

Two 1u R3 novelties would be more flexible for people, e.g., some people use R3 for control, caps lock, FN, etc.

Ortho. Always.

Offline catbus

« Reply #298 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 01:45:56 »
Could we get a couple (at least 2) 1u R3 novelties somewhere, like in the Power Pack kits? I'm an ortho user and don't use escape or tab in R3 on the left side or ' or enter on the right.

Two 1u R3 novelties would be more flexible for people, e.g., some people use R3 for control, caps lock, FN, etc.

Would love to see some more 1u R3 novelties as well.

Also if possible a 1u R3 Ctrl key in the ortho kit :)

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 09:34:51 »
I like the idea of moving the R1 Del, R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn to the TKL kit as a 65% user myself.  At the very least I'd want them in the Specialty Kit because otherwise I'd have to buy Ortho/40s which would be more expensive for only a couple keys.  And I like that the Accent kit has both the F row and numrow.  Gamer kit is solid too.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2020, 09:39:29 by a_ak57 »