Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 398515 times)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #650 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 06:53:30 »
So I tried to test the smd led's on my nerd TKL with a power bank but when I tried none of the lights turned on so I think they're set off.
Does anyone know what the key stroke is to turn them on? I'm pretty sure it can be done hardware wise and not only a computer right? I don't have access to a computer right now to see.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #651 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 14:31:26 »
i think side leds are numlock by default(if its keylock by default)

EDIT: FN(Right windows button)+S works also

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #652 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 05:07:47 »
i think side leds are numlock by default(if its keylock by default)

EDIT: FN(Right windows button)+S works also
Thanks, you're right.
LPWL actually answered this for me in another thread since I got impatient and started cross posting XD

for future reference FN1 + S is for side led's and FN1 + F is for front led's. (ones on the switches)
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #653 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 22:25:12 »
Aside from the capslock near indicator next to capslock key, can I use the in switch led of capslock as capslock indicator?

I have a GON nerd60 on the way and just wondering if it is possible.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #654 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 03:39:07 »
Aside from the capslock near indicator next to capslock key, can I use the in switch led of capslock as capslock indicator?

I have a GON nerd60 on the way and just wondering if it is possible.

As far as I know you can't do that. What you can do is reroute the LED connection to the indicator LED pads, it will be tricky but it can be done. You will need to isolate the pads from the in switch LED, I think some nail polish will do the job. The LED leads will go thru the in switch holes and reroute them to the indicator LED pads. If the LED leads are not long enough you can use some wires to do the job. I think this would be a non destructive mod, and can be reversed very easy.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #655 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 07:55:40 »
Q: When you buy the SMD/Resistor/Diode soldering option for the NERD TKL PCB 2.0, do you still need to purchase the SMDs, resistors, diodes separately, or is that included in that charge? My guess is they are sold separately but wanted to check.

Soldering switches is fun, but those tiny parts are a big nope-parade.

Offline pasph

« Reply #656 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 09:17:58 »
Q: When you buy the SMD/Resistor/Diode soldering option for the NERD TKL PCB 2.0, do you still need to purchase the SMDs, resistors, diodes separately, or is that included in that charge? My guess is they are sold separately but wanted to check.

From GON himself:
"Hi ;) If you choose the options, needed electric parts are included. You don't have to add additional parts in the cart."
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #657 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 09:33:51 »

From GON himself:
"Hi ;) If you choose the options, needed electric parts are included. You don't have to add additional parts in the cart."

;D I love GON (and you).

Offline Slaine777

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 19:39:44 »
With the aluminium housings and the translucent Gateron switch bodies and tops can the on PCB lighting shine up through the switches for one color of backlighting and in switch LEDs be used for a second color?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #659 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 07:22:15 »
With the aluminium housings and the translucent Gateron switch bodies and tops can the on PCB lighting shine up through the switches for one color of backlighting and in switch LEDs be used for a second color?
I was curious if both smt and regular led's can be simultaneously used as well.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #660 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 07:36:46 »

As far as I know the aluminium housings like the Tex 60% can't be used with the underside SMD LEDs (well that's what Gon told me when I was buying my PCB)
Also yes, you can use the SMD LEDs on the bottom side at the same time as the in switch LEDs (there are different settings for both)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #661 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 07:44:26 »

if the two connectors are paralleled you could basically just use a lower ohm reistor and use both leds like this:

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/ledcalculator/img/led-circuit.php?supply=12&resistor=240&color=red&nr=2&connection=p

I think thats a question for the pcb maker :)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #662 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 07:48:02 »
I realize now that I'd have to desolder all my switches to gain access to the smt led pads which totally isn't worth it for me lol
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #663 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 07:58:42 »
I realize now that I'd have to desolder all my switches to gain access to the smt led pads which totally isn't worth it for me lol

I would need to take mine out of it's housing to look. But I think the SMD LED pads should be accessible even with the switches in place

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #664 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 13:36:50 »

I would need to take mine out of it's housing to look. But I think the SMD LED pads should be accessible even with the switches in place

He is talking about pads which are on the top/sunny side of the pcb, if you have a plate at all, then the pads wont be accessible.

Offline evera

« Reply #665 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 14:52:03 »
I bought the wireless combo on the ver2.0 nerd60, but I'm not exactly sure where to connect things - has anyone else built one of these?

also, i'm thinking about using SMD LEDs on top/bottom, and maybe also in-switch ones, but I can't really tell which resistor pad is for which LED - is there an easy way to tell?

Offline yobinad

« Reply #666 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:47:53 »
I bought the wireless combo on the ver2.0 nerd60, but I'm not exactly sure where to connect things - has anyone else built one of these?

also, i'm thinking about using SMD LEDs on top/bottom, and maybe also in-switch ones, but I can't really tell which resistor pad is for which LED - is there an easy way to tell?

Is this one?

Offline evera

« Reply #667 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:52:31 »

Is this one?

Ah - I ordered the combo from the PCB page, so I didn't see that. This is great - thanks!

I think I was primarily confused about the last two steps - and the pictures seem to be missing for those, dang.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:54:24 by evera »

Offline Slaine777

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:20:14 »
There are three LED options on the NerD PCB, and I'm talking about the GON housings.  There is the side lighting which looks to be PCB mount on the bottom of the board.  There is PCB mount which looks like it's located on top at each switch and is normally used in his Crystal cases.  Finally there is in switch lighting.

Offline evera

« Reply #669 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:30:29 »
Yes - but with each LED you want a resistor - and I'm not sure which LEDs go with which resistor pads

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #670 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 00:30:12 »
There are three LED options on the NerD PCB, and I'm talking about the GON housings.  There is the side lighting which looks to be PCB mount on the bottom of the board.  There is PCB mount which looks like it's located on top at each switch and is normally used in his Crystal cases.  Finally there is in switch lighting.
It should be pretty easy to see as there should be a visible trace going from the resistor to the LED pad.
I'd provide pictures but I don't think I'll be able to on my phone.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline evera

« Reply #671 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 03:35:35 »
Ah yeah, now that I take a closer look it is super obvious (silly me)

The in-switch and top PCB LEDs are in parallel - I wonder if it's ok to use both at the same time..

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #672 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 20:55:51 »
Ah yeah, now that I take a closer look it is super obvious (silly me)

The in-switch and top PCB LEDs are in parallel - I wonder if it's ok to use both at the same time..

if the two connectors are paralleled you could basically just use a lower ohm reistor and use both leds like this:

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/ledcalculator/img/led-circuit.php?supply=12&resistor=240&color=red&nr=2&connection=p

According to this Website the calculation works somewhat like this:

I Led is the current through (used by) the Led.
Since two LED should pass/use pretty much twice the current, you would alway divide through twice as much for 2 LEDs so the result should always be half compared to one.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand you would simply use a resistor with half as much ohms for two LEDs in parallel.

Here are a few example calculation, guesstimating the supplied V and current through LED:

More
- 2/3V (2.5V) LEDs with 470 Ohm resistors as mentions on GONs website
- Guesstimating a current of 20ma/Led (which seems like a fairly realistic/common current for LEDs)
-> Results in a supplied Voltage of 12v (which seems unrealistic with usb being only 5v)

- 2/3V (2.5V) LEDs with 470 Ohm (500 Ohm) resistors as mentions on GONs website
- Guesstimating a supplied Voltage of 5v (since usb is 5v)
-> Results in a current of 5ma/LED

Offline mathiasn

« Reply #673 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 23:13:28 »

DON'T use LEDs in parallel, esp. not, if they are not identical (same make, type, color, ...).
Reason for this is, that they - most probably - have different forward voltages.
The one with the lower voltage will take most of the current (if not all) and blow.

F.i. if wou use a red LED (1.2 V) in parallel to a green one (1.6 V), the red one will take ALL the current.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #674 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 10:25:52 »

DON'T use LEDs in parallel, esp. not, if they are not identical (same make, type, color, ...).
Reason for this is, that they - most probably - have different forward voltages.
The one with the lower voltage will take most of the current (if not all) and blow.

F.i. if wou use a red LED (1.2 V) in parallel to a green one (1.6 V), the red one will take ALL the current.

Obviously only use LEDs in parallel which have the same Voltage drop and forward current.

However GONs website does mention same Voltage drop and suggests same resistors for both types of LEDs which further should imply forward current to be at least roughly the same.

So I guess my point still stand considering both LEDs types offered by GON seem almost identical in specs.
However its still a risk to do this with LEDs that aren't the exact identical type in parallel, but if the specs match up as well as they seem to do in don't think it should be much of an issue tbh.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #675 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 18:02:33 »
Q: When requesting the PCB soldering option, does the PCB already come stock with the ability to host in-switch LEDs? Or does that have to be added on (i.e. take the option resistors + diodes for side AND backlight LED)? I thought "backlight LED" refers only to the ON-PCB option, and that in-switch LED functionality is already standard.

Thanks for any response!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #676 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 21:10:46 »
Q: When requesting the PCB soldering option, does the PCB already come stock with the ability to host in-switch LEDs? Or does that have to be added on (i.e. take the option resistors + diodes for side AND backlight LED)? I thought "backlight LED" refers only to the ON-PCB option, and that in-switch LED functionality is already standard.

Thanks for any response!
No the in switch led resistors do not come soldered on stock, you must request it.
The top smd led's are run in parallel with the switch led's so if you're planning on using both top smd LED's and switch led's simultaneously make sure to do the calculations for the correct resistors value.

Also when requesting soldering work you do not need to add led's, diodes, or resistors, they are included in the fee. Well you might need to order switch led's if you don't request switch soldering since he obviously can't solder the switch led's without the switches installed.

Hope that made sense.

Edit: to add to this after re-reading your post, back light led's are the normal switch led's and NOT the top smd led's. I imagine you'd need to specifically request that if that's what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2015, 21:17:35 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #677 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 21:46:49 »

Thanks for any response!
No the in switch led resistors do not come soldered on stock, you must request it.
The top smd led's are run in parallel with the switch led's so if you're planning on using both top smd LED's and switch led's simultaneously make sure to do the calculations for the correct resistors value.

Also when requesting soldering work you do not need to add led's, diodes, or resistors, they are included in the fee. Well you might need to order switch led's if you don't request switch soldering since he obviously can't solder the switch led's without the switches installed.

Hope that made sense.

Edit: to add to this after re-reading your post, back light led's are the normal switch led's and NOT the top smd led's. I imagine you'd need to specifically request that if that's what you're looking for.

EDIT: Emailed GON, he replied and all is well. For future readers: you DO NOT need to request extra soldering for in-switch leds. the pcb supports it natively.

More clearly, if you want side LEDs AND in-switch, you ONLY need to request side-led soldering.

the other option is for ON-PCB backlighting (as I originally suspected).

Thanks for your help, Evo!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:36:09 by ttzhou »

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #678 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:03:17 »

Thanks for any response!

Hope that made sense.

EDIT: Emailed GON, he replied and all is well. For future readers: you DO NOT need to request extra soldering for in-switch leds. the pcb supports it natively.

More clearly, if you want side LEDs AND in-switch, you ONLY need to request side-led soldering.

I didn't understand any of that but as long as you do then it's all good XD
I just built mine myself so I never needed to ask this stuff lol
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #679 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 02:11:17 »
Does anyone know IF the nerd 60s on PCB smd leds are compatible with sprits acryllic plate? Ie no interferance

Offline evera

« Reply #680 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 23:48:13 »
I have a NerD60 and i soldered on my resistors, diodes, leds and switches. the leds light up and my switches work for a few minutes when connected to my computer, then the keyboard disconnects and comes back on if i leave it plugged in, and repeats after a few minutes. what could be wrong?

If I immediately disconnect and reconnect the keyboard to my computer when it disconnects, i still have to wait for a bit before the keyboard is recognized

--edit
desoldered switches, still the same issue. i can get the nerdy gui to save things to the keyboard if i'm fast enough

i also have the usb/wireless combo board, but haven't soldered on the battery because im a bit worried to do that with the keyboard going on and off. could that be the cause, though?
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:59:57 by evera »

Offline cphead

« Reply #681 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:48:42 »

Thanks for any response!

Hope that made sense.

What email did you reach him at? Been trying to reach him.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #682 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 20:38:20 »

Thanks for any response!

Hope that made sense.

What email did you reach him at? Been trying to reach him.

I reached him by using the Customer Service form and citing my order number. I am trying to contact him again though as I messed up my order and need something changed.

I was able to reach him at about 23:56 EST, which is 12:56 or so korea time, which might have been his lunch or something. Gonna keep trying.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 21:05:11 by ttzhou »

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #683 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 20:47:18 »
^ hey bud. Don't think you should post his email publicly like that. But yeah, if you have any questions, best bet is Skype.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #684 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 21:07:01 »
^ hey bud. Don't think you should post his email publicly like that. But yeah, if you have any questions, best bet is Skype.

That email is directly accessible from the site when you register. That is the email that is given, and is the one listed on his Google+ page. But sure, cheerfully removed :) My bad.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #685 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 13:47:56 »
I called him on Skype on Sunday at 1:38 AM my time (2:38 PM in Korea) with no answer. I tried emailing him following that, but with no response yet...

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #686 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 13:50:29 »
i think he is working on the ctrl alts, i heard they are supposed to ship soon.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #687 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 14:00:22 »
I called him on Skype on Sunday at 1:38 AM my time (2:38 PM in Korea) with no answer. I tried emailing him following that, but with no response yet...

Try a *bit* earlier. I found that every time I called at 11-1 Korea time he picked up. I may have been very lucky though.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #688 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 14:08:33 »

That email is directly accessible from the site when you register. That is the email that is given, and is the one listed on his Google+ page. But sure, cheerfully removed :) My bad.

:3 heh, just for precautions ever since incidents...  ^-^
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #689 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 14:32:47 »

Try a *bit* earlier. I found that every time I called at 11-1 Korea time he picked up. I may have been very lucky though.

I've had him answer at 7:20 PM Korea time before, although that was a while ago.

Offline cphead

« Reply #690 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:16:11 »
Has anyone who ordered pre-built boards around fall of last year received their orders? I've tried getting in contact with him to no avail. It's been 7 months and he owes me an update.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #691 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:42:45 »
Has anyone who ordered pre-built boards around fall of last year received their orders? I've tried getting in contact with him to no avail. It's been 7 months and he owes me an update.

There was a thread over on reddit of a guy trying to sell his not-yet-shipped custom order, which he ordered in december. the thread mentioned some kind of machining issue with the aluminum house manufacturer causing the delays, so it's likely that not many have received their's yet either from that timeframe.

Try using the built in contact form on the website and quote your order number and give it an urgent tagline. Try sending the email around 11 PM EST (this is when I found he always replied).

If that doesn't work, just keep trying Skype, maybe even try waking up around 7am EST.

It is a big hassle, and I know you must be frustrated, and it probably doesn't mean much coming from me. I'm sure you will reach him if you keep trying. Might take quite a few calls though...

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #692 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 21:48:07 »

I'm waiting on a board that I ordered on October 25th of last year. I'm less than a day away from hitting the 6 month mark. I have not been able to get in contact with him since March 5.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #693 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 02:30:08 »

Friend him on skype and call during the day in korea. I always get a reply a day or two after trying to contact him.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline yobinad

« Reply #694 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 09:21:49 »
Just spoke on the phone with GON (10:45pm seoul time), because on April 17 he said to me he would send my order last week, but he not sent.
Today he told me that the order is packed and has 95% probability of being sent on monday or tuesday.

My advice is to call him on skype or to his phone.

Offline MarkRobbo

« Reply #695 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 11:29:39 »
My order has been on 'Awaiting bank wire payment' for a few days. Sent paypal gift payment at time of order with the order reference.

Is this normal?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #696 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 13:13:15 »
My order has been on 'Awaiting bank wire payment' for a few days. Sent paypal gift payment at time of order with the order reference.

Is this normal?

I think it depends on your bank, mine transferred the money within a day. 
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #697 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 20:13:51 »
I got a shipping notification today for my order placed on 03/07/15 which consists of parts for a Nerd 60 including a universal 60% plate. So GON is still alive and shipping out orders  ;D
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline yobinad

« Reply #698 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 04:57:04 »
I got a shipping notification too :cool:. Placed my order on 12/20/14(parts to assemble a nerd tkl with aluminum housing, a nerd60 pcb and other electric parts)

Offline yobinad

« Reply #699 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 05:33:22 »
I don't want to bother GON with this questions so i ask here :)

GON sends invoice inside the package? The package is identified with his website logo?
I ask this because of customs  ;D