Author Topic: What's with all These Weird and Small Keyboard Layouts Lately?  (Read 19104 times)

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: What's with all These Weird and Small Keyboard Layouts Lately?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 03:36:06 »
Heh, Tapatalk ruins your spoiler.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Kaorix

• kaorix.me
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 08:48:05 »
Im a big fan personally of 97 key boards.
The only me is me, are you sure the only you is you?

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 13:58:23 »
I’m a programmer who types 9-10 hours a day everyday. I find hhkb and 10keyless the best for speed and ergonomics.

Offline BundleOfJoysticks

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 18:44:02 »
What I find really unneccesary is the nav cluster. It makes keyboards wider without a reason because it's much easier to use the numpad to browse a text or a webpage.

Funny how people with similar needs can make basically opposite choices.

I like a numpad but can live without it. But dedicated nav keys are a must. I don't even like having home/end/pgup/pdgn on a layer + arrow keys. It's funny because I did most of my formative typing on an XT keyboard with no nav and arrows on the numpad, and it was fine.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 20:56:45 »
I built a linear black Alps 60% so I don't have to use the god-awful Dell chiclet keyboards in my university's library.

Offline navy2x

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 17:53:04 »
My first two boards were TKL, but lately I’ve been wanting a full 100% board. I just ordered a leopold R2SA from Korea. Can’t wait to get it!

212060-0

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 05:21:11 »
I'd been absent from these boards for several years and just logged back on, and boy, I barely recognize myself? ... Whats up with all these TKL and 60% boards and other weirdo layouts?   How come people even like them?

Those teeny-tiny keebs not only have no number pad, but there aren't even any navigation keys (arrows, Home/End, PgUp/Dn) or function keys... There isn't even a Delete key.

212083-0

So to do what we normally do with those keys—even something as simple as moving your cursor—you have to use multi-key combinations, and typing becomes a process of anti-ergonomic hoop-jumping. To onlookers, it looks like you're playing a Chopin etude on a tiny piano.

Why would anyone go to so much extra trouble? As far as I can tell, it's because it makes the rest of one's life seem incredibly easy by comparison. Also, teeny keyboards are c-u-t-e, especially if they're also in tropical colours and make little happy noises like anime characters and so on. I think I'm somewhere in the ballpark on all this, at least.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline jonowarren94

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 06:55:34 »
I can fit more of them on my desk...

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 10:47:44 »
Most of the time, when doing basic tasks, the numpad is not needed for some people, so they switch to a smaller size. Some may like it due to the amount of space it saves on the desk, and how nice the feel is. I personally prefer a 60% as it does not require all the keys that i need and i can simply put a wrist rest if i'm having any pain.  :thumb:
Most 100% keyboards i believe are unneccesary due to data entry.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 11:20:23 »
Tkl with left hand seperate numpad is as low as I can go without being uncomfortable, I do use a 75 percent a lot but something about tkl and left hand 3700 is so comfy
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline incrocio

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 16:49:35 »
Personally, I like small keyboards. Not because of aesthetics or space-saving, just because I don't have to move my hands as much. Move everything as close to home row as possible.

Granted, that's achievable with larger keyboards as well as long as they're programmable.

Offline Lucien Midnight

• Ridkey Studio Keycaps
    • Ridkey Studio Order Form
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 20:31:08 »
Having tried everything down to 40% at the smallest (standard and ortho layouts), I can say that XD75 or preonic layouts are my fav so far. It took some getting used to, but I just map arrow keys to a layer under I,J,L and no need to move my right hand anywhere. I still have the number keys and quick shift access to the symbols that I use very often.

If I wan't using ortho, i'd probably opt for TKL tho.

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 21:18:08 »
Im a big fan personally of 97 key boards.

This^^^
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 00:11:23 »
Before I wouldn't think I'm able to use any less then TKL too, until I try and love it. The strong benefit of it is that you don't actually need to move your hand too much when you writing (for me is coding). I set the caplock to FN, then I'm mainly using WASD as nav buttons. E R = Home End, FN + BackSpace or FN + ESC = Delete. I also have a set of Nav bar at the bottom right of the keyboard for when I only need moving around while not fully typing mode. Check my screenshot for my set up.

I have an Leopold 980c in 1800 layout too which I think it is really good as it has full key and small size, but as I can't programming it to WASD and FN functions. I might build my next keyboard 1800 layout with full programable keyboard. Do anyone know a way to programming on the Leopold 980c by any chance please?

Offline Entropia

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 03:38:56 »
Before I wouldn't think I'm able to use any less then TKL too, until I try and love it. The strong benefit of it is that you don't actually need to move your hand too much when you writing (for me is coding). I set the caplock to FN, then I'm mainly using WASD as nav buttons. E R = Home End, FN + BackSpace or FN + ESC = Delete. I also have a set of Nav bar at the bottom right of the keyboard for when I only need moving around while not fully typing mode. Check my screenshot for my set up.

I have an Leopold 980c in 1800 layout too which I think it is really good as it has full key and small size, but as I can't programming it to WASD and FN functions. I might build my next keyboard 1800 layout with full programable keyboard. Do anyone know a way to programming on the Leopold 980c by any chance please?

I think I read somewhere something about a controller mod which involves replacing some of the electronics of the FC980C to make it programmable. Anyway, I'm not really interested in that, since I use AutoHotkey to do whatever I want with my keyboard.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 04:17:41 »
I love a keyboard when I do not have to make long move to reach the keys, that’s why I love compact boards.
I love to use all my hand and use my palm on modificator like Fn, Super or Ctrl.
I want to use all my fingers with a symetric frequency so that’s why I use a Dvorak based layout (Bépo). It’s also not normal for me to have the pinky who need to move and twist for reaching Enter or del, that why I love to have enter and del / backspace on the middle of the board.
I love to have an integrated numpad directly on the right hand, but I hate to have to reach it by moving the hand. So I can accept to use modificator for getting access to the numpad.

So we can play a game.
Can you tell me what keyboard I have ? An ergo one for sure…

Typematrix 2030

In reality most of this is bull****. You don't actually have to move your hands that often, because in most of the cases when you use a section of the keyboard (alphas, pgup pgdown etc), you keep using that section of the keyboard for a number of operations. Having an original layout, most of the times has something to do with the novelty fact, and with the pride of an original and intelligent decision, but nothing beside that. I write most of my text in vim, and then export it into graphical text editors, so you actually need to have keys that you can reach blindly, without masochists and ridicules fingers contortions.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 06:52:58 »
I remember the hardships I faced when in about 1985 I had to move from an XT layout keyboard with the function keys on the left, to an AT type with the function keys along the top. The primary work software I used required constant use of function keys and having to reach over the board to hit them was a great hindrance. Eventually of course it became the norm.

I always found that typists would use the numbers at the top of a keyboard and only accountants and other main number crunchers ever used a numpad. For most of the programmers I worked with, the number pad was just extra arrow keys with a bit of padding, so it seemed very sensible to remove the unused numpad, reduce keyboard footprint. The supposed benefits or not to a shorter distance to move the right hand are apparently debatable but it certainly does no harm. The only time I miss it is if some games have them hardcoded or I run out of bonus keys to assign macros to.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 07:26:07 »
For certain 'tasks' I can get by with a 65%.  I can get by a little better when I remap caps as a fn modifier and use hjkl for arrows key, and ui nm for pgup pgdown home end.  For me, not needing to leave the home row for navigation is at times kinda helpful.  For other things (workflows I guess) a full sized ansi 104 (perhaps 104+) keyboard seems to make life a bit easier.  I'm not sure I could effectively use a < 60% keyboard.  Switching tmux windows or just random mundane daily things like password entry would be such a pain for me if I was without a number row.  I guess some people are accustom to AltGr, so the extra function layers might seem like a natural extension of an already useful feature.  Portability seems to be another push for sub 60%--they're easier to sleeve, easier to carry, easier to find space for in between all those bottles of Mountain Dew, and empty Cheetos bags.  I guess they're also super cute for some people.  Why not both?

Offline Wood_Cables

• Wood/Cables
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 09:45:30 »
Hey I have been using a Planck exclusively for months now, and I don't see myself ever going back to anything bigger. I'm able to do CAD work on it no problem, so the minimal layout didn't hinder any performance.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 10:50:18 »
There is nothing people may say to convince an individual to like a particular keyboard layout. Some facts stand though.

Ergonomics: A full size keyboard plus a mouse caused me wrist pain and pre-carpian-syndrome. I found keyboard boards in look for help to release the pain, and a sixty mechanical keyboard was the solution. I have been happily typing since then.

Programability is another feature most full size keyboard do not have, because they do not need it in the first place. I found that a programmable keyboard could be very fun plus make the keyboard fits your particular needs. With a programmable sixty I turned a very boring typing machine into a fun item that can fits my particular needs, likes and dislikes. What else we may ask for in a device that is always on our face.

Aesthetics: A full size keyboard is by definition set in stone, ugly and boring. Mainly off the rack ones. Mechanical full size and TKLs could take advantage of different sets, but still they follow a fixed design and are as expensive or even more than custom sixty or similar options.

Conclusion: Smaller than full size KB's are not for everyone, but for those of us that have particular preferences are the best thing we can be typing on.

Offline hieuuk

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:17:58 »
I think I read somewhere something about a controller mod which involves replacing some of the electronics of the FC980C to make it programmable. Anyway, I'm not really interested in that, since I use AutoHotkey to do whatever I want with my keyboard.

I'm also using AutoHotKey but to map CTRL + Q = ALT + F4. I'm using Windows but I like the way MAC short cut do. I'm not expert on AutoHotKey though, but once you said you can do it with AHK, I did try to Google and I might able to get Caplock working well with some of the function I need with WASD. I will try with my 1800 to create more fun. Thanks for suggestion.

I'm not trying to convinced people to go 60%, this is more of my personal opinion. I tried 65% and I don't like it.  I found 1800 = amazing, but 60% is fun to play with :).

Offline JWahl

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 20:49:59 »
First post outside of the new member forum.  I've historically preferred full-size layouts but I've used a TKL for a few years with the Novatouch.  Like others, I like that I can keep the keyboard closer to center aligned when touch-typing without having to reach as far to the mouse.  A few weeks back, I ended up buying a mechanical numpad off of Amazon for data entry, but having it on the right made me miss the ergonomics of the TKL. 

More recently, I planned to buy an 1800 layout in the form of the Leopold FC980M, but I instead opted for the FC660M which I received today.  It's probably as small as I'm willing to go though, I can't give up the arrow cluster.  I'm also trying my numpad out on the left side, which while very awkward at first, has some theoretical advantages in certain applications.  For example, number entry in spreadsheets would allow me to keep the left hand on the numpad while my right hand can stay on the mouse or arrow keys.  I also like the inherent modularity of being able to move the numpad out of the way when I don't need it.

The one thing for me that really exaggerated the annoyance of mouse-reaching was getting used to the trackpoint on my thinkpads.  I ended up buying an external thinkpad keyboard a few months back just for that reason, but I ended up missing having mechanical keys.  The Tex Yoda might be nice for me if it had arrow keys and was a little less expensive.  The Tex Kodachi is just too rich for my blood right now.  For now, the smaller Leopold is ideal for my needs and budget.
Leopold FC660M (Cherry Silent Red & Blue) ,980C 30g /Silenced Novatouch / NIZ Atom 66

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 09:30:40 »
At my job I actually did get a smaller board for space reasons.  I was using a stock Dell 104 board (the one comming with new x040 and x050 models) but that was just too much.  Dug up an old Asus chicklet board that's got a slightly modified 1800 layout and that was too much still.  My workstation was a desktop support tech workbench that had my station as well as 7 hookups for our office KVM and my personal laptop so I can have some music while I work.  I ended up dropping down to a 40% and a trackball because moving my hand in such a confined space was too much.  Because I don't do a lot of number crunching and because I hardly ever use the F-keys (I think I use F4 and F5 the most, but with Win10 you can Ctrl+L and focus the address bar now so I use F4 even less) I was able to sacrifice both the number and function rows.

Last week I switched desks.  Moved a good 4 feet to the left and actually have a DESK desk now with lots of space.  I might go and build another 65% for work (I currently use a whitefox at home).  My issue is I want a split spacebar.  My 40 has it and I have fallen in love with the concept since I only hit space with my right hand anyways.  I set my arrows under A/S/D/F like a mirrored vim arrow layout with home/end/pgup/pgdn directly under mapped to Z/X/C/V.

I've thrown a pic of my new workstation on.  While I adopted this ancient trackball because of my lack of space at my last spot, I love the thing so even if I do change boards I think I'm gonna keep the mouse.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 20:00:23 »
I'd been absent from these boards for several years and just logged back on, and boy, I barely recognize myself?

Whats up with all these TKL and 60% boards and other weirdo layouts?   How come people even like them?

I've been into mechs since the mid-2000s and even then the HHKB and Deck Francium 87 were highlights of the hobbyist community.

How long ago is 'several years' because I think the last time smaller keyboards weren't popular it was the 80s. :))

Well, maybe I don't recall the small form factor keyboards from back then.  Iv'e been using Model M's since they were new, but I strayed away fro several years during the 90's, only getting back to it the early ought when I found a Lexmark Model M for $9 on eBay.  I forget when I was here last.  It's been a while, but not THAT long...

August 2012?

That's a long time.

Back then, which is around when I joined looking for help to repair or replace an Nec keyboard, there were half a dozen keyboard manufacturers, and about the same custom keycap makers.

Now there are hundreds of each, too many choices to decide, and almost anything available at almost any price.

Progress?

Also it's ironic that keyboards are getting smaller but monitors are getting bigger.  Maybe the kids need the extra desk space saved by using a smaller keyboard to support their 42"+ monitors?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 00:48:48 »
Personally I'm sort of amazed that in 2019 there are still people who manually type in numbers for work...why don't you have automated systems for ingesting and processing your data?  Having humans do it is not only incredibly slow, it's also a great way to introduce errors.

I haven't touched a numpad in years.  For me they are completely superfluous.  I still like the look and feel of a lot of my vintage keyboards but I'm getting to the the point where they feel like complete dinosaurs from a usability perspective.  Particularly since I want my mouse--which I do use--closer to the keys I actually type on.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 01:45:21 »
Personally I'm sort of amazed that in 2019 there are still people who manually type in numbers for work...why don't you have automated systems for ingesting and processing your data?  Having humans do it is not only incredibly slow, it's also a great way to introduce errors.

Wow... you really can't imagine a scenario where somebody might need to type in a number for work? Computers should just always enter every number everywhere? Even credit card numbers, expiration dates, birth dates, etc..

Not to mention the people who have to actually write the code and algorithms that power those computer systems? That usually require numbers.

I don't know if I'll ever stop being amazed at the mentality of "I haven't done X in forever / I don't do X, so therefore there's no reason for anybody to do X". I just don't get that level of self-centered-ness.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 01:51:55 »
An engineer can't exist without a 100% keyboard. Smaller than 100%? Not an engineer.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 11:46:19 »
Wow... you really can't imagine a scenario where somebody might need to type in a number for work? Computers should just always enter every number everywhere? Even credit card numbers, expiration dates, birth dates, etc..

I meant regular data entry tasks where a numpad would be genuinely useful.  You don't need a numpad just for entering the occasional credit card number...

Not to mention the people who have to actually write the code and algorithms that power those computer systems? That usually require numbers.

Um, I that's what I do.  And no, it really doesn't require much in the way of numbers.  Algorithms should be expressed algorithmically.  In fact if you have a lot of hardcoded numbers in your program you'll likely be eviscerated in a code review.  That's bad form.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 13:22:06 »
I've found a programmable 65% + number pad to work best for me at the office.  I'm part of a small team, so there's not a lot of specialization or delegation around here.  Everything from drafting to field review to reports based on those field reviews is part of my day.  If I'm drafting, having the mouse (trackball technically) closer is a lot more comfortable.  Having something smaller than a fullsized / TKL / 1800 allows me to do that.  If I'm entering data from the field, a number pad is highly useful.  If I'm typing a report, having the arrow keys right under my fingers as part of the programmable layers is quick and easy.  But if I'm more in drafting mode and my hand tends to be mostly on my mouse, finding a dedicated set of arrow keys is a lot easier than orientating myself on home row and finding my function layers, so a 65% works better for me than a 60% does.  I also found that I rarely used the F keys, so they were expendable.  Add it all up and a 65% + number pad seems to fit my needs the best.

An engineer can't exist without a 100% keyboard. Smaller than 100%? Not an engineer.

I'm pretty sure that's an engineering degree hanging on my wall.  And as I said, I have a 65% + a standalone number pad in front of me.

Personally I'm sort of amazed that in 2019 there are still people who manually type in numbers for work...why don't you have automated systems for ingesting and processing your data?

If you can write an algorithm to OCR my chicken scratch notes from the field, I'd be all over that.

I don't know if I'll ever stop being amazed at the mentality of "I haven't done X in forever / I don't do X, so therefore there's no reason for anybody to do X". I just don't get that level of self-centered-ness.

Amen

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 13:34:53 »

Lol ok, I'll tell my department they're all doing it wrong.

I haven't used a 100% layout in a few years. (But I still have a numpad on my board for now.) Some others here switched to tkl's, etc.

I'm going to try switching back to HHKB again, might have to get another 23UB though.

Believe it or not some of us still do very large industrial projects using hand written notes that are manually entered into a program, including lots of numbers.

We also still use scales and calculators.

But I agree it's easy to mess up and put something in wrong. (This one time I did a calculation wrong and we spent a large sum unnecessarily.)

Also I occasionally need to enter characters using alt-codes. This could be worked around but it's usually easier to type alt+0176 vs the alternative.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 February 2019, 13:52:36 by SpAmRaY »

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 14:01:56 »

Lol ok, I'll tell my department they're all doing it wrong.

I haven't used a 100% layout in a few years. (But I still have a numpad on my board for now.) Some others here switched to tkl's, etc.

I'm going to try switching back to HHKB again, might have to get another 23UB though.

Believe it or not some of us still do very large industrial projects using hand written notes that are manually entered into a program, including lots of numbers.

We also still use scales and calculators.

But I agree it's easy to mess up and put something in wrong. (This one time I did a calculation wrong and we spent a large sum unnecessarily.)

Also I occasionally need to enter characters using alt-codes. This could be worked around but it's usually easier to type alt+0176 vs the alternative.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How can you input ASCII codes without a programmable keyboard? Your engineering department is laughable.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 14:25:28 »
There are an awful lot of very strong opinions in this thread!

Biggest board I use on a day-to-day basis is my C70. Currently using a Preonic, and the HHKB remains my favorite layout.

With layers anything is possible. I even have a numpad layout on this Preonic, and all of my nav keys (Page Up, Down, Home, End, etc.) are on a layer above my arrow keys. It's easy enough, and I don't even have to think about it anymore. I'm much faster now on an HHKB than I ever was on my Model Ms or TKL boards.

I do enjoy a nice TKL, but it's been a long time since I've needed a tenkey. I don't do enough data entry or long number strings to justify the desk space anymore, and I'm only a little slower on the number row nowadays anyway.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:05:14 »
On weird small keyboard layouts: This thing works now even better than my regular daily driver with a HHKB layout.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:12:18 »
On weird small keyboard layouts: This thing works now even better than my regular daily driver with a HHKB layout.

Show Image

What board is this? 👀

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:25:29 »

Show Image

What board is this? 👀

You can find the kit here. Works awesome with my swedish layout. It comes with alu cases as well, but this one allows people to see your dancing led lights by its sides.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:31:02 »
Ah, I actually have that!  Lol.  The case just looked really different in this shot, I guess.  I haven't used mine much since they shipped it with the wrong switches and didn't do anything to rectify the issue.  It left a bad taste in my mouth so it's been sitting on my shelf in protest. :mad:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:32:58 »
Ah, I actually have that!  Lol.  The case just looked really different in this shot, I guess.  I haven't used mine much since they shipped it with the wrong switches and didn't do anything to rectify the issue.  It left a bad taste in my mouth so it's been sitting on my shelf in protest. >:(

Sounds that she needs a new sugar daddy?  :p

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:34:56 »
Ah, I actually have that!  Lol.  The case just looked really different in this shot, I guess.  I haven't used mine much since they shipped it with the wrong switches and didn't do anything to rectify the issue.  It left a bad taste in my mouth so it's been sitting on my shelf in protest. >:(

I thought about it, hah.  When I get around to it, I'll throw some tuned switches in it.  I do like the layout, though.  If it's between that or a 60%, I'm faster on that.  Go figure.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:38:33 »

I thought about it, hah.  When I get around to it, I'll throw some tuned switches in it.  I do like the layout, though.  If it's between that or a 60%, I'm faster on that.  Go figure.

I got my own little pain on my learning curve; some frustration with its programming that the developer graciously help with, and now I can type even a bit faster with the thing than with my regular HHKB's. Go figure.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:41:51 »
Split space was such a godsend.  I love it.  For me, it's so easy to just use that as my main fn key.  I really think this particular form factor is my new sweet spot.  Hoping that the TM050 has a R2 or new boards come out.  If I had the know-how, I'd be tempted to try and design one. :rolleyes:

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:44:11 »
108 takes up so much space.

esp at work when i have to switch off between mouse and keyboard a lot , the reach is soooo far.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:48:42 »
Split space was such a godsend.  I love it.  For me, it's so easy to just use that as my main fn key.  I really think this particular form factor is my new sweet spot.  Hoping that the TM050 has a R2 or new boards come out.  If I had the know-how, I'd be tempted to try and design one. ::)

The key for split to work well is where the gap between the two sides of the space bar is actually located. This is the only layout that has it at the right spot for me. The right is the space and the left is a huge FN. I also have VIM arrow keys along with space-FN (right space) and that works wonders. The dedicated arrows have navigation keys under and again that is far better than the HHKB's solution, wich is great by the way, but this is even more intuitive.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 17:01:10 »
Split space was such a godsend.  I love it.  For me, it's so easy to just use that as my main fn key.  I really think this particular form factor is my new sweet spot.  Hoping that the TM050 has a R2 or new boards come out.  If I had the know-how, I'd be tempted to try and design one. ::)

The key for split to work well is where the gap between the two sides of the space bar is actually located. This is the only layout that has it at the right spot for me. The right is the space and the left is a huge FN. I also have VIM arrow keys along with space-FN (right space) and that works wonders. The dedicated arrows have navigation keys under and again that is far better than the HHKB's solution, wich is great by the way, but this is even more intuitive.

Split space does sound pretty great.  Using caps as a fn key for hjkl + navigation is a bit cumbersome at times.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 17:28:23 »

Yup, exactly.  The placement for them is ideal for me, as well.  I'm going to see about messaging a few people and maybe...hmmm...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 04:20:22 »
Okay, TKLs make sense if if you never use the number pad. I miss it right away, as I can no longer use Alt+#### codes to enter special characters like dashes, bullets, or accented letters (as IBM, in their wisdom, decided not to make them work with the regular number keys). But I realize that's not important to everyone. (Ha, I just used a dash, Alt+0151.)...

I felt compelled to explain that, apparently, I'd typed something using a long dash ( — ), referred to its Alt-code, then ended up editing it out. So no, that didn't make sense. And yet, I've committed no crimes against humanity, so I'm feeling pretty good all told.

Yeesh, you're welcome to dat stuff—it'd drive me nuts. Making typing harder just for the effect of having an impossibly compact-looking keeb or whatever? I must be missing something.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg