Author Topic: Tried Razer Taipan and Razer Mamba at the Microsoft Store LOL  (Read 12033 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Tried Razer Taipan and Razer Mamba at the Microsoft Store LOL
« on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 15:08:57 »
Yupe you read it right !!!  Microsoft store !!!

Originally I just went in to try the Surface Type Keyboard (scissor switch one) but they somehow had a Taipan, Mamba, and a Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 on display.  I wonder if the employee just brought their own equipment in and put it on display.

In any case, this is the first time I tried Taipan and Mamba because typically on computer stores they don't have Razer mouse on display for you to try.  I thought about buying it before but ultimately didn't because I was worried about the size.

I'm considered to be a small hand claw grip user.  I knew Mamba was smaller than Deathadder but after trying it out I find it's still too big for my grip style.  However I can imagine it being super comfortable for palm grip people.  As for the Taipan, everything is perfect except length.  The odd thing is that it has the perfect narrowness that I like, even the thumb buttons are in the right location (where my thumb would be), the height seems to be perfect too.  BUT oddly enough that the click button and scroll is just sooooooo far out.  The click button is sort of ok because it has a very wide clickable range, but the scroll is just too far.  If I reach out my index finger then I can barely touch the bottom of the scroll wheel, so I don't think I can use it comfortably without changing my grip.

So I guess I'll keep waiting patiently for Razer to bring the 2013 Krait over to north america and hopefully they'll add 1 side button on each side (doubt it but if they do it would be amazing).  That or I'll wait for the successor of CM Storm Spawn or Logitech G900 to come out (whichever first).

Kinda random but here's my mini review for those that are in the same boat as me (small hand claw grip)  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline makaseo

Re: Tried Razer Taipan and Razer Mamba at the Microsoft Store LOL
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:21:58 »
Appreciate the post, was thinking about getting a Taipan before reading this, but I have pretty small hands as well.

I was also pretty surprised at how much Razer stuff the Microsoft Store near me had, they had their laptops and desktops and everything. Sadly it seems like they had everything but the Taipan, but what can you do.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:55:22 »
Ahhhhhhh is that why, so Microsoft is teaming up with Razer to fight Apple eh  :P

That's explains it, now next time I'll know if I want to try Razer gear, go to Microsoft store lol.

As for makaseo, I think the 2013 Krait will probably a good size for us.  Too bad it's only sold in Asia and no side buttons (I need at least 1 for Back).

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline llovro

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:26:19 »
If you are looking for a new mouse I recommen feenix nascita. It just came back in stock for 97$

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 17:09:15 »
If you are looking for a new mouse I recommen feenix nascita. It just came back in stock for 97$

lol that one looks nice but I don't think it's really claw grip mouse.  Also the price is a bit heavy I think I'll maybe I'll wait for G900 or Spawn 2 or something.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 06:35:42 »
Yup. The problems with the Taipan you had were exactly the same complaints I had with the Taipan. The body is a bit long, so I saw myself having to reach for the scroll wheel, by moving the body towards me with the fingers that were holding it. So I returned the mouse. 

However, I did buy it again to give it a second shot, and the second time, it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I returned it AGAIN, though, but that was because I wanted to try other mice.

I'm going to see what Logitech releases as the G9x replacement, and then go on from there. The Taipan is still at the top of my list, though, despite the problems I just mentioned.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 16:49:12 »
Yeah I have to say Taipan really felt pretty close to what I wanted, too bad for the length.  And Krait 2013 doesn't have side button, if only they can do a fusion of Taipan and Krait then it would be perfect.

Oh well I guess 2013 only just started, I'll see what they have for us this year.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 16:53:26 »
Saw a Taipan at MicroCenter today. It fit my hand nice (I have small hands and use a palm grip). But I has that weird dual sensor that the Imperator also has (I think). I didn't like how that sensor felt which is why I bought a Deathadder. I kind of want to swap a Deathadder sensor into a Taipan or Imperator body. Or hopefully the Krait will have an only optical sensor.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 17:36:55 »
^ Yup. That's exactly what the new Krait is: a Taipan-like body (as Hyde mentioned it has no side buttons, unlike the original Taipan), but with the Deathadder 2013 sensor.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 17:37:26 »
^ Yup. That's exactly what the Krait is: a Taipan-like body (as Hyde mentioned it has no side buttons, unlike the original Taipan), but with the Deathadder 2013 sensor.

Guess I know what I'm getting :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 19:37:22 »
Yupe you read it right !!!  Microsoft store !!!

Originally I just went in to try the Surface Type Keyboard (scissor switch one) but they somehow had a Taipan, Mamba, and a Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 on display.  I wonder if the employee just brought their own equipment in and put it on display.
Microsoft actually sells a lot of products now.
You can save hundreds on their laptop closeout deals if you catch them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Vintage

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 21:53:24 »
I have head that the krait is kinda cheap. They cut corners to get  the price down. Cheaper shell, cord, etc. In takasta's reveiw:

I am also looking for a small/medium claw grip mouse to replace my $15 logitech. The Zowie AM and never FK look pretty good to me.

And yeah microsoft is selling everything these days. :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2013, 21:56:29 by Vintage »
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline Saturn

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 00:26:24 »
I have difficulty even considering trying a Razer mouse.  Every time I look at one of their products, I can't help thinking it just exudes tackiness and low build quality.  Am I wrong in that?  Every Razer product I've seen has looked cheaply built.

I find the G400 to be just about perfect as a gaming mouse, though it doesn't fit the criteria of being a small claw grip mouse.  You certainly could claw grip it, though, and I'm sure it'd be more than comfortable enough, though it's not built with the shape that claw grippers usually expect.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Re: Tried Razer Taipan and Razer Mamba at the Microsoft Store LOL
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 03:30:37 »
or skip the apple type marketing and get the sharkoon darkglider which is the same mouse at half the price

Offline Hyde

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 19:48:28 »
Actually I don't have any issue with Razer mice, I'm currently using a Razer Naga and it's been a year and still runs great.

But I do admit it's really hard to find a good small claw grip mouse.  The market is mostly cater towards palm grip also typically they only make large expensive mice (side button, laser sensor... etc).

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 02:50:42 »
Forget Razer. Just try the Cooler Master Spawn.
My once favorite mouse, the deathadder, now is only used as a substitute desktop mouse. For gaming, it will always be the Spawn.

P.S I have small hands(gloves i wear are small and sometimes even extra small) and use a claw grip.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 02:52:52 by squarebox »
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline YMSNoms

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 03:52:35 »
Just Brought a  Korean Edition Steelseries kinzu from PC4ALL while im out here and it is amazing.
Leopold FC700R
Filco Majestouch-2 Multicamo
Korean FR4-87 Lambo Orange Custom

Offline llovro

Re: Re: Tried Razer Taipan and Razer Mamba at the Microsoft Store LOL
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 08:12:01 »
or skip the apple type marketing and get the sharkoon darkglider which is the same mouse at half the price
I don't see any similarities in apple and feenix marketing. Also someone on overclock.net compared feenix nascita and sharkoon darkglider and he returned the darkglider since it's some cheap **** mouse.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 08:31:34 »
Feenix  :))

Saw a Taipan at MicroCenter today. It fit my hand nice (I have small hands and use a palm grip). But I has that weird dual sensor that the Imperator also has (I think). I didn't like how that sensor felt which is why I bought a Deathadder. I kind of want to swap a Deathadder sensor into a Taipan or Imperator body. Or hopefully the Krait will have an only optical sensor.
Imperator: Philips twin-eye (PTE)
Taipan: Avago S9818 (A9800 variant)
;)
^ Yup. That's exactly what the new Krait is: a Taipan-like body (as Hyde mentioned it has no side buttons, unlike the original Taipan), but with the Deathadder 2013 sensor.
Krait is also much smaller which makes it a totaly different mouse.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 09:00:46 »
I don't see any similarities in apple and feenix marketing. Also someone on overclock.net compared feenix nascita and sharkoon darkglider and he returned the darkglider since it's some cheap **** mouse.
considering they come from the same OEM, i don't see how the darkglider is "cheap"

Why is it the same OEM mouse sold with the sharkoon brand costs close to double from feenix?
Besides the special white packaging and white aesthetics?
from the user casualcolors on Tom's:
They both use the exact same model number Omron switch. They also both use the exact same Avago 9500 with the exact same firmware. They are literally the same mouse. In fact, these mice both share arbitrary labeling in the same odd spot on the right front of the mouse on the sidepanel. The Sharkoon labels this with Darkglider, and the Nascita labels it with a product revision tag.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/123369-13-best-mouse-gaming

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 14:56:09 »
Yet, there is another post, that says:

They actually arent the same. I purchased the sharkoon out of curiosity after purchasing the Nascita and the difference in the quality of the switches and clicks and tracking was definitely noticable. The sharkoons buttons kept getting stuck and the tracking actually stopped working after 1 week and I just ended up returning it. Even the shell has some differences. As many others who have done reviews have been saying the sharkoon shell appears to have been taken from a similar supplier but the two mice defintely dont perform the same. Something to consider when you want to go for a cheaper alternative from a manufacturer whos known for doing OEMs from china

This guy has actually owned both mice, before. While casualcolors is going by third party information.

When there are conflicting reports such as this, I'm usually willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 21:50:02 »
Yet, there is another post, that says:

They actually arent the same. I purchased the sharkoon out of curiosity after purchasing the Nascita and the difference in the quality of the switches and clicks and tracking was definitely noticable. The sharkoons buttons kept getting stuck and the tracking actually stopped working after 1 week and I just ended up returning it. Even the shell has some differences. As many others who have done reviews have been saying the sharkoon shell appears to have been taken from a similar supplier but the two mice defintely dont perform the same. Something to consider when you want to go for a cheaper alternative from a manufacturer whos known for doing OEMs from china

This guy has actually owned both mice, before. While casualcolors is going by third party information.

When there are conflicting reports such as this, I'm usually willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
im sorry, why do you think somehow an OEM design is made differently?
how it is they have the same exact sensor, firmware, button styles, logo location, etc and you don't think they're from the same OEM lol
its like saying CM QF Rapid and Filco MJ2 keyboard aren't made by the same OEM (costar) even though they have the same stabilizers and everything
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 21:51:42 by projectD »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:34:56 »
Well, that's what I'm contending with. Do they in fact have the same sensor/mouse clicks? He's just going by third party information. I'm questioning whether what he's saying is true or not. Has he opened both mice and checked them out?

And is it not possible for quality to differ within the same OEM?
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:36:44 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 10:12:10 »
Well, that's what I'm contending with. Do they in fact have the same sensor/mouse clicks? He's just going by third party information. I'm questioning whether what he's saying is true or not. Has he opened both mice and checked them out?

And is it not possible for quality to differ within the same OEM?
personally unless the product is constructed at a different location, OEM products should come out the same, if they use the same exact hardware.

Everywhere says they both use the 9500 Avago Sensor.
They both have the same "gold plated" USB plug, same lightup logo placement, same weight placement/tray.
Too many similarities to not have it basically be the same Mouse imo.

anyway look at the inners of the sharkoon
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4864/sharkoon_darkglider_laser_gaming_mouse_review/index6.html

oh and here's an OEM non branded one that looks eerily similar to the Nascita
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/717956133/Blue_ray_Ultimate_USB_6D_Button.html
i haven't seen anyone willing to take apart a nascita, but i doubt it'll be different

Offline llovro

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 10:43:32 »
before we make any more conclusions, Feenix is working on a new mouse and we shall see if it's close to something from sharkoon/anyone else

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 13:47:24 »
feenix should also update their team member info
Alicia hasn't been on Slayers in over half a year (considering SlayerS disbanned and Jessica went on a personal vendetta against him)

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 14:04:11 »
before we make any more conclusions, Feenix is working on a new mouse and we shall see if it's close to something from sharkoon/anyone else
I would be highly surprised if it's not another OEM.

Offline llovro

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 07:34:34 »
well they said that its going to be a mouse meant fro FPS players. It's going to be less ergonomic than nascita and will have (I think) optical sensor.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 11:50:13 »
Doesn't matter, you can also get tons of those OEM style. ;)

For me it's quite simple, I just have to look at their site (and the Nascita) to see that they spent their money on web design and marketing and not on R&D.

Btw, if you like speculation feel free to speculate if this guy is associated with Feenix:

first off, the only thing any of you is going by is the appearance of these different mice.... which is just dumb..

the ONLY thing in common between a Feenix Nascita and the Sharkoon Darkglider is the SHELL, which is the ONLY part of the nascita thats not hand crafted. which isnt even true anymore.

feenix now manufactures the shell in house, along with the rest of the mouse... made in california. each is hand built, and i can assure you they are of the highest quality.

i too have used a plethora of mice.... i break em, lose em, they dont perform to my expectations ect... until i bought a Nascita, its perfect, feels solid, yet easy to move, clicks are sure and never miss. the feet are perfectly placed, its got a custom weight system that doesnt come loose or even feel like theres anything that can come out. it tracks perfectly. the dpi switch is seamless and very well placed, its THE only mouse ill ever use again...
Source: OCN

:P

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:12:16 »
Doesn't matter, you can also get tons of those OEM style. ;)

For me it's quite simple, I just have to look at their site (and the Nascita) to see that they spent their money on web design and marketing and not on R&D.

Btw, if you like speculation feel free to speculate if this guy is associated with Feenix:

first off, the only thing any of you is going by is the appearance of these different mice.... which is just dumb..

the ONLY thing in common between a Feenix Nascita and the Sharkoon Darkglider is the SHELL, which is the ONLY part of the nascita thats not hand crafted. which isnt even true anymore.

feenix now manufactures the shell in house, along with the rest of the mouse... made in california. each is hand built, and i can assure you they are of the highest quality.

i too have used a plethora of mice.... i break em, lose em, they dont perform to my expectations ect... until i bought a Nascita, its perfect, feels solid, yet easy to move, clicks are sure and never miss. the feet are perfectly placed, its got a custom weight system that doesnt come loose or even feel like theres anything that can come out. it tracks perfectly. the dpi switch is seamless and very well placed, its THE only mouse ill ever use again...
Source: OCN

:P

yar srsly, "hand crafted" each mouse...right

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:57:49 »
Well... see what I mean? There are two opposing claims. I'm not saying you're right, or you're wrong. I just want to give each side equal weight, until it is absolutely confirmed.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:22:48 »
Well... see what I mean? There are two opposing claims. I'm not saying you're right, or you're wrong. I just want to give each side equal weight, until it is absolutely confirmed.
do you really think feenix hand makes all the mice they sell?  seriously now, if you think they'll sell a hand made mouse for under $100, you're crazy.
The machining of the plastics, the assembly, etc would take them how long?  I'd say 4 hours minimum, probably more like 5 hours.
At california's minimum wage scale, lets say $10 bucks an hour.
So you're saying they build the mouse at half the cost?  Not counting materials btw.  And it seems to be a very small company as well.
I don't see it.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 22:32:46 »
You're still going by conjecture. =P