Author Topic: Building an ErgoDox  (Read 1290 times)

Offline pushcx

Building an ErgoDox
« on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:02:03 »
Howdy, I'm a web developer in Chicago and I'm building an ErgoDox.

Grew up with the old IBM model Ms, hated crappy membrane keyboards for a while, was fairly happy with Microsoft Natural Elites but beat them to death. I was happy for a few years with Apple's keyboards, the low travel was kind to my hands but the hard stop leaves me feeling bruised after a long day coding.

So I was thinking of switching back to a mechanical keyboard like the Kinesis, but heard about the ErgoDox a few weeks ago from a coder I follow on Twitter. Decided to buy the kit on Massdrop after I saw Jeff Atwood's CODE keyboard - I wasn't at all impressed and realized it was because I had lots of opinions about what to tweak, and that I wanted to build an ErgoDox. So I will.

I especially want to play with keyboard layout and layers. As I said, I write a lot of code, so I want symbols a lot more often than usual. And I've been using vim almost exclusively for 15 years, so I need a novelty keycap and a layout to match.

Mostly I'm posting an intro because I wanted to thank everybody for this forum. I've been reading it for a couple days and learned a lot from it. I'm waiting impatiently for my kit, trying to pick a keycap set, and planning my build.
WTB a set of black-on-black, white-on-white, or gold side-printed cherry mx keycaps for the ErgoDox I'm building, please PM

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: Building an ErgoDox
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:29:15 »
Welcome to geekhack. I think you will like the ErgoDox keyboard. Probably the most consistent complaint I hear after getting use to it,  is the users become spoiled and don't want to ever use a traditional keyboard again.

Offline pushcx

Re: Building an ErgoDox
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 20:48:59 »
My window manager and vimrc are already so customized that I'm frustrated any time I have to use someone else's computer, so I think I can deal. :)
WTB a set of black-on-black, white-on-white, or gold side-printed cherry mx keycaps for the ErgoDox I'm building, please PM