Author Topic: big mechanical keyboard fan  (Read 1531 times)

Offline naypalm

• Casascius Bitcoin Analyzer
big mechanical keyboard fan
« on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 08:24:43 »
Hi everyone, I'm a big mechanical keyboard fan.

Recently I was given the task cleaning out the basement of a local business. They had all sorts of old stuff but I ended up hauling a pickup truck load of old keyboards from the early 90's, several of which were IBM Model M's. I recognized the model immediately and hardly could contain my excitement because I have wanted one for quite some time. The drive home was super loud, all the keyboards were clicking all at once!! That was something you don't get to hear everyday. :))

When I got home, I picked out the cleanest looking one and hooked it up. So far, the only mod I have done to my Model M keyboard has been the USB to SDL cable which turns it into a USB keyboard. Unfortunately after a few months of use, I get random occurrences of the keyboard inputting never-ending spaces but nothing is touching the spacebar. Anyone have an idea what this may be?

Anyways, I hope to get some good ideas and maybe I can contribute a bit as well!

Offline 127001

Re: big mechanical keyboard fan
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 08:36:16 »
Welcome, good choice in keyboards  ;)

That problem is probably due to some broken rivets on the interior of the keyboard that's allowing the switch to miss fire. You'll have to do a bolt mod,  or a partial bolt mod, to fix the issue.

Here is a basic overview of what's entailed in the process :

http://imgur.com/a/QroSL

Offline CatNip :3

• bouncy bouncy
Re: big mechanical keyboard fan
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 00:54:34 »
Welcome, good choice in keyboards  ;)

That problem is probably due to some broken rivets on the interior of the keyboard that's allowing the switch to miss fire. You'll have to do a bolt mod,  or a partial bolt mod, to fix the issue.

Here is a basic overview of what's entailed in the process :

http://imgur.com/a/QroSL

For KEYBOARD SCIENCE! (pls dont ban me) ^.^