Author Topic: The Start of the Beginning  (Read 916 times)

Offline chuckster

The Start of the Beginning
« on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:24:13 »
Hello all, my name is chuck and I'm relatively new to the world of keyboards and all things input. I'm a big fan of what I have seen and tried so far however.   I moved from membrane keyboards last year with a thrift-store Fujitsu Peerless-switch board from the mid-90s. Even on this, one of the most ill-esteemed keyboards of that era, I greatly appreciated the solidity and the feel of the (albeit partially) mechanical keys.

I have since acquired a Corsair K60 for Christmas from my lovely wife (a rare soul who understands such odd obsessions as this one) as a bridge between dome and MX-switch keyboards. I love the linear Cherry Red switches, which blow anything else I have tried out of the water in feel and ease of use. I am eager to try some other switches, however, mostly Topre, ALPS, and buckling spring (moreso than other Cherry switches). The dome mechanism on the Corsair is relegated to some of the less-used keys such as the function row and the insert/del/home/end cluster, which makes their inclusion less of a concern. I do wish esc and the function keys were mechanical, however, and I use del quite often, so it can be a bit of a difference when I am managing media and files.

As far as my interests beyond keyboards, I am a new husband and father, with a keen interest in video games and computers in general. I have other hobbies, of course, but they have little bearing on this forum. I mostly emulate older games, and so I have an appreciation for all types of input devices, with my interests recently piquing towards old-school fight sticks and game pads of all descriptions. I believe for any digital interaction, the input method and quality of the device used is a major part of the experience, and can really "make or break" said experience.

Regardless of where I have been, I am very excited as to how far this hobby will take me. I have many questions and many ideas to share and I believe this forum is one of the best places to present both.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: The Start of the Beginning
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:59:37 »
Welcome to WalletHack