Author Topic: Customary first post + question  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Sanity

Customary first post + question
« on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 01:13:58 »
Hi all, just wanted to say hello, get a first post in under my belt, and pose a quick question. I don't currently own a mechanical keyboard, but I've been obsessively reading and researching for the past week in preparation for my first purchase. These forums have been a regular stop during my research thus far, so I figured I might as well make an account (and eventually try my hand at the artisan lotteries for a fancy esc key as well).  ;D

After debating the prices and merits of different boards, I got my heart set on having a Leopold FC660C with dye sub pbt keys be my first purchase. This was before checking the availability and realizing that EK seems to no longer carry Leopold. Am I correct in believing that my best/cheapest option for getting this board at a decent price is finding a friend in in Korea to purchase and ship it? I know some get listed on Ebay, but tend to be slightly overpriced, don't they?

A preemptive thank you for the read and your help!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Customary first post + question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 01:24:35 »
Hello, and welcome to Geekhack! The fc660c is a nice choice in keyboard, just keep in mind it is topre, so not compatible with mx switches and has an irregular layout, so you can't easily find new keysets for it. I owned a fc660c and quite enjoyed it, although I would say that I enjoy my hhkb more now. In regards to pricing, I do believe that you are right, and Korea is the best place to find one. You can also keep your eye here and on /r/mechmarket for a second hand one if you are okay with that, I know I sold my old one for $180 USD, so there are some good deals to be had! Let me know if you have any more questions!  :)

Offline Sanity

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 01:38:38 »
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply! Yeah, I had considered the customization difficulties of the fc660c. I go back and forth depending on the day, but, as of today, I was feeling that the small size + additional keys (arrows, etc.) offset that drawback.  :))

Assuming it's fair game to discuss in this part of the forum, would you be up to talking about your experience of having owned both the FC660C and the hhkb, why it is that you came to prefer the latter, learning to adapt to the missing keys, and your experience with topre in general?

I'll keep my eyes on mechmarket and the classifieds as I struggle with making a decision in the mean time. Thanks again!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 01:43:08 »
Hey, qtan sells leopold keyboards on his site: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=4367799

He doesn't have the Fc660c currently, but if you contact him, maybe he can get his hands on one.
His subforum:https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=81.0
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Sanity

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 01:58:10 »
Thanks azhdar, I'll most certainly check out his site and subforum. Byker has me second guessing myself now though, so I suppose I'll take at least another day to think it over and make sure it's exactly what I want.  :))

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 02:10:49 »
Haha, sorry about that :)

I initially got a great deal on an FC660C locally, so i went for it. I quite liked it while I had it, however I felt the keys were quite soft and the blank space on the right with the two keys that are kinda useless always annoyed me. Eventually I got to looking at hhkbs on elitekeyboards, and decided to buy one. What initially intrigued me was that a lot of people say the hhkb feels a lot more "fun". I was also intrigued by the unique layout and the smaller size.

Now that I have the hhkb, I can say that I like it more. I love the layout, I don't mind not having the arrow keys as I don't use them much anyway. The topre feel is nicer on this, and I LOVE the layout!!! Having ctrl where capslock used to be, and the backspace layout is great! I have no regrets switching, but in an ideal world I would have both.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sanity

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:59:28 »
Thanks Rowdy, I actually had seen and considered those! The more I think about it, read about the various topre boards, and look at the pictures you guys have up in the "Post your Topre Keyboard" thread, the more I lean towards either a white HHKB pro 2 or a black Realforce 87U 55g. Especially at that price point for the fc660c. It's a good thing I'm the type to think things through a hundred times, or else I'd have just bought both by now.

Now I'm feeling unsure about how the 55g actuation would feel relative to the ~45g-ish, considering I've never had the pleasure of trying either.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 21:59:51 »
Thanks Rowdy, I actually had seen and considered those! The more I think about it, read about the various topre boards, and look at the pictures you guys have up in the "Post your Topre Keyboard" thread, the more I lean towards either a white HHKB pro 2 or a black Realforce 87U 55g. Especially at that price point for the fc660c. It's a good thing I'm the type to think things through a hundred times, or else I'd have just bought both by now.

Now I'm feeling unsure about how the 55g actuation would feel relative to the ~45g-ish, considering I've never had the pleasure of trying either.

GH motto - why not both?

There is a good chance that you'll end up with both keyboards eventually anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:10:15 »
This is why people are running out of money. I realised today that I need to live fairly frugally for the next month or two, mostly because of the purchases I've been convinced of here.

I have no regrets (yet).
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 23:30:04 »
This is why people are running out of money. I realised today that I need to live fairly frugally for the next month or two, mostly because of the purchases I've been convinced of here.

I have no regrets (yet).

Have to keep the economy going somehow :p