Author Topic: Thock-thock, who's there?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline yaro_b

Thock-thock, who's there?
« on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 07:08:32 »
Hello guys and girls,

I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while and only today I decided to introduce myself.

I'm a computer programmer and spend a huge chunk of work time typing on a keyboard. Since I've always been all-about-ergonomics guy I started looking for the best keyboard awhile ago.

First non-default keyboard I got was Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 which I liked a lot. At that time I didn't understand all the hype about mechanical keyboards and laughed at their default key layout... until I borrowed SteelSeries 6Gv2 (Cherry MX Black) from a coworker. For two days I spent coding on it I was absolutely blown away. And then it all started.

I've spent months on forums reading about various kinds of mechanical keyboards until I decided which one I want - Filco Majestouch2 Cherry MX Brown. I liked it a lot and used it for 2 or 3 years. For all that time I felt that something is not perfect about my keyboard and it kept growing on me - I started to get annoyed by the feeling of Cherry MX's spring metallic traction with other pieces of the switch. One day I remembered about the other type of switches - Topre.

Few months later after, again, reading a lot of forum posts and Amazon buyers' reviews I decided on my next keyboard - Realforce 104U. I loved the typing feeling, but the form factor was too big and clumsy for me. A few month later I decided to continue my search for the perfect keyboard. And I remembered how one of the reviewers referred to HHKB's typing sound as "thock-thock" and compared it to the pleasant sound of closing the door of BMW car compared to some other Japanese make. That convinced me to try HHKB. (Oh, the irony. HHKB is made in Japan, and Cherry switches - in Germany. ;D)

And I loved that keyboard from the first keypress. Despite the fact that both Realforce and HHKB both use Topre switches, HHKB's plate and case is made of plastic and it gives much more pleasant feel. At first I've been a bit skeptical about minimalistic layout, but turned out to be much more convenient to use than a standard 104US layout. Especially for me, hardcore Vim user. And it helps a lot to minimize my RSI pains. Final touch - Hasu's mod for HHKB which I found here, on GeekHack. With that mod my keyboard become fully programmable (very convenient). I was so happy with my new keyboard that I bought another one for use at home.

TL;DR

HHKB is a fantastic keyboard. And you GeekHack people are awesome. Thanks for everything you do.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Thock-thock, who's there?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 05:46:00 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A Topre fan :D

Technically the HHKB is case-mounted - the top of the case forms the plate where the switches are mounted.  Not many keyboards like that.

Btw the RealForce 87U is a TKL keyboard half way between a 104U and HHKB - yet another option for you to try :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ