Author Topic: brand newbie  (Read 1965 times)

Offline captaineleven

brand newbie
« on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:01:36 »
Hey, everyone!

My name's Sam and I am a recently turned keyboard enthusiast! I am a very new keyboard enthusiast but I am very happy to be here and to learn more about keyboards and the like. My younger sister already had a steelseries keybboard with cherry mx reds for a while and I didn't even think twice about them. It was actually those ASMR typing sounds that got me into keyboards and haven't really gone back since.

Hm, let's see. I have a couple of mechanical keyboards with kailh brown switches (Noppoo Lolita Spyder 87 and Nixeus Moda) and a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx reds (CM Quick Fire TK). They were on sale on ebay and amazon and since I am working on a teacher budget, I have decided to try them out and get a handle on them before investing more money to the more expensive sets -- I know I'd like to give topre switches a try. I have about two or three rubber dome keyboards (logitech and microsoft) but I still quite like them and haven't fully given up typing on them even though I've gotten a hang of the mechanical keyboards. I also have a couple of ergonomic keyboards with rubber domes: goldtouch and kinesis freestyle solo. And on top of all of that, I have a rubber dome vintage KeyTronic keyboard I got on ebay and a Tandy Enhanced Keyboard that needs repairs. So I'm holding on to a lot more than I would have ever imagined a few months ago.

I look forward to getting to know others as well as getting to know more about keyboards. And I know that there is a big preference for Cherry MX switches, but I'd like to look into how the other cherry clones hold out in comparison. But with such a limited budget, I'm not trying to rush anything here hahaha But I do like to know that there are other enthusiasts and that I feel like I can be welcomed here for a hobby that a lot of people may not understand!

Thanks again for reading and I'm happy to meet everyone!
So fancy!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: brand newbie
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 21:49:56 »
Welcome to geekhack, I love you.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 21:52:29 »

Don't listen to him, OP. He'll break your heart.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 22:01:22 »
Hey, everyone!

My name's Sam and I am a recently turned keyboard enthusiast! I am a very new keyboard enthusiast but I am very happy to be here and to learn more about keyboards and the like. My younger sister already had a steelseries keybboard with cherry mx reds for a while and I didn't even think twice about them. It was actually those ASMR typing sounds that got me into keyboards and haven't really gone back since.

Hm, let's see. I have a couple of mechanical keyboards with kailh brown switches (Noppoo Lolita Spyder 87 and Nixeus Moda) and a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx reds (CM Quick Fire TK). They were on sale on ebay and amazon and since I am working on a teacher budget, I have decided to try them out and get a handle on them before investing more money to the more expensive sets -- I know I'd like to give topre switches a try. I have about two or three rubber dome keyboards (logitech and microsoft) but I still quite like them and haven't fully given up typing on them even though I've gotten a hang of the mechanical keyboards. I also have a couple of ergonomic keyboards with rubber domes: goldtouch and kinesis freestyle solo. And on top of all of that, I have a rubber dome vintage KeyTronic keyboard I got on ebay and a Tandy Enhanced Keyboard that needs repairs. So I'm holding on to a lot more than I would have ever imagined a few months ago.

I look forward to getting to know others as well as getting to know more about keyboards. And I know that there is a big preference for Cherry MX switches, but I'd like to look into how the other cherry clones hold out in comparison. But with such a limited budget, I'm not trying to rush anything here hahaha But I do like to know that there are other enthusiasts and that I feel like I can be welcomed here for a hobby that a lot of people may not understand!

Thanks again for reading and I'm happy to meet everyone!

You are a teacher?! Much respect!

Also, Gaterons are a phenomenal Cherry alternative, with many people even preferring them to Cherry due to how smooth they are :) Should you get the chance, or have the option to get a board with them to save some money they are a great way to go!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 23:12:58 »

Don't listen to him, OP. He'll break your heart.

I appreciate any and all love! Thanks for the warm welcome!
So fancy!

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 23:16:13 »

You are a teacher?! Much respect!

Also, Gaterons are a phenomenal Cherry alternative, with many people even preferring them to Cherry due to how smooth they are :) Should you get the chance, or have the option to get a board with them to save some money they are a great way to go!

Thanks! Yes, I am a teacher! But not just any teacher, I am a newbie English teacher in a high school. I started sometime last November and it is a hard but awesome job.

I've seen the name Gaterons here and there but never looked any closer into them. But I'll definitely keep that in mind. Do you have one/have any recommendations?
So fancy!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 01:27:13 »
The seems to be more and more keyboards coming out with Gaterons in the sub $100 price range. I know the MK84 is coming out soon, a mechanicalkeyboards.com exclusive that looks pretty sweet. The layout isn't for everyone, but it looks like a great deal for the money. The V60 occasionally goes on sale on Massdrop with Gaterons as well.

Good luck back in high school  :thumb: You are a better human than I.

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:18:38 »
The seems to be more and more keyboards coming out with Gaterons in the sub $100 price range. I know the MK84 is coming out soon, a mechanicalkeyboards.com exclusive that looks pretty sweet. The layout isn't for everyone, but it looks like a great deal for the money. The V60 occasionally goes on sale on Massdrop with Gaterons as well.

Good luck back in high school  :thumb: You are a better human than I.

Oh ok, I'll keep those in mind. I have only heard good things so far on Gaterons so if it's pretty good and it's in the affordable range, I'd be more apt to look into them.

I normally don't try to wait for Friday during the week so I can enjoy my week better but boy, am I glad that it's the weekend! lol  :p
So fancy!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 01:11:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a big preference for Topre switches around here, so you're definitely heading in the right direction.

Mind you there's a big preference for buckling springs around here too, so you'd better add one of those to your list.

There's also a big preference for Alps switches as well, so just keep that list going ;)

Welcome to Wallethack!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ