Author Topic: Formal Introductions...? :P  (Read 2384 times)

Offline maxpegasus

• The search goes ever on and on...
Formal Introductions...? :P
« on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:13:47 »
Alright alright so I'm not exactly "new" to geekhack  :p ... I've been a member for a few months now and you might have already traded with me or seen me post over on reddit or in geekhack media or on my own classifieds post (bump). BUT I've never formally introduced myself here so I thought I might as well as it seems like I'm in this hobby for the long haul  :))

Anyway a little about me: I'm currently located in Ohio, USA (GO BUCKS!!!!!) and studying as a first year medical student. I was introduced to this hobby by a friend about 10 months ago and I haven't looked back! I've collected three boards (pictures can be found in my signature) and a good deal of artisans (I'll probably post a group photo in the next couple weeks). Anyway I find it really rewarding hunting for that prized artisan as well as making connections with fellow mechers across the nation and the world  :thumb:

Anyway, feel free to say hi here or contact me with any questions about artisan hunting especially if you're new. I'd love to pass on some tips especially since I'll probably start slowing down pretty soon as I start to approach my "endgame" group of artisans (If there is such a thing :P)

Cheers!

-Maxpegasus

« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:50:01 by maxpegasus »

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
Re: Formal Introductions...? :P
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:17:27 »
Congrats on getting into medical school! I'm in the application process myself right now, just awaiting on interviews at the moment. Glad to hear there are fellow enthusiasts in the medical field!

Offline maxpegasus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:18:54 »
Congrats on getting into medical school! I'm in the application process myself right now, just awaiting on interviews at the moment. Glad to hear there are fellow enthusiasts in the medical field!

Thanks! Congrats on making it this far... it's an absolute grind! :eek: Good luck on the interview trail. Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to answer

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:19:43 »
I have indeed seen you around! Welcome, formally  :))

If you don't mind being bothered I will probably have a wealth of questions to ask you once I start trading and expanding my artisan collection. 

What are you typing on?
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:22:33 »

Thanks! Congrats on making it this far... it's an absolute grind! :eek: Good luck on the interview trail. Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to answer

You've got that right its a grind, but worth it no doubt. Thank you for the invitation to ask questions, I'll message you if I have any. By the way, welcome!

Offline maxpegasus

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:38:03 »

If you don't mind being bothered I will probably have a wealth of questions to ask you once I start trading and expanding my artisan collection. 

What are you typing on?

At the moment I'm typing on my Red Scarf 84 w/ MX Browns. It's probably my favorite board and an absolute beaut :)

You've got that right its a grind, but worth it no doubt. Thank you for the invitation to ask questions, I'll message you if I have any. By the way, welcome!

Thank you man!

Offline maxpegasus

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:45:02 »
Oh and one more thing... O-H!!!!!!!!

114931-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:50:27 by maxpegasus »

Offline happyturtlee

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:49:24 »
I-O!!!

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 06:58:47 »

What are you typing on?

At the moment I'm typing on my Red Scarf 84 w/ MX Browns. It's probably my favorite board and an absolute beaut :)

I wasn't familiar with them but after googling I must say that layout is SO nice (the case ain't half bad either....). Just curious, did you have to assemble it?
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:34:00 »
Big announcement?

Offline maxpegasus

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:49:55 »

What are you typing on?

I wasn't familiar with them but after googling I must say that layout is SO nice (the case ain't half bad either....). Just curious, did you have to assemble it?

Luckily I did not have to assemble it... I bought it secondhand from Digi here on geekhack! Good thing too because I'm kinda lazy :p

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:55:53 »

What are you typing on?

Agreed, that layout is really nice! Similar to the KBC Race, but improved.

Offline maxpegasus

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:06:38 »
Big announcement?

Show Image

Yes I am inviting all of geekhack to my private island for a keyboard tournament....

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:30:00 »
Recognize that name welcome buddy :D

Offline hitlu

• [LF] Ogres and Colonel
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:39:23 »
welcome and enjoy
Colonel or Ogre

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:58:41 »
Man, you've done a fair few trades in a short time on your Heatware, really jumped right in it looks like.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:42:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a nice collection of artisans you've started!  I think you've got the right idea about the hunt for artisans - some people just seem to amass as many as they can get, others are happy with just a few special ones.

Do you find Calm Depths a bit heavy on the Novatouch?  I've got an SA set or two that I've tried on MX blues, and there's so much plastic in the keycaps that the keyboard feels really muffled.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:44:45 »
Wellcome to GH bro nice collection you got there

Offline maxpegasus

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:00:01 »
welcome and enjoy

Much appreciated bro, thank you!

Recognize that name welcome buddy :D

Thank you!!  :)

Man, you've done a fair few trades in a short time on your Heatware, really jumped right in it looks like.

Yeah for sure, I've kinda gotten lazy about updating my Heatware as of late however...

Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a nice collection of artisans you've started!  I think you've got the right idea about the hunt for artisans - some people just seem to amass as many as they can get, others are happy with just a few special ones.

Do you find Calm Depths a bit heavy on the Novatouch?  I've got an SA set or two that I've tried on MX blues, and there's so much plastic in the keycaps that the keyboard feels really muffled.

Thank you Rowdy! Means a lot coming from a veteran member such as yourself. I have a philosophy of "If I'm not using an artisan on a keyboard, it's better off being used by another person." It's prevented me from overspending as well as hoarding keycaps. It's definitely been hard at times letting go of an artisan because of limited real estate on my keyboards, but ultimately it's kept me in check in a really positive way.

To answer your question: I actually have the opposite problem on my Novatouch. The SA caps really accentuate the loudness of the board, so much so that they almost ring with every upstroke. I'm planning on silencing my Novatouch soon so hopefully that will quiet things down. I love the look and feel of SA though.  :)

Wellcome to GH bro nice collection you got there

Thank you man, I appreciate the comment

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:34:35 »
Welcome! While I did not go to tOSU my step-dad played basketball there (way, way, WAY back) so I come from a Buckeye family (kinda). I still don't know if I can forgive you guys for the 97 Rose Bowl.

Edit: I'm an ASU alum.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:50:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you Rowdy! Means a lot coming from a veteran member such as yourself. I have a philosophy of "If I'm not using an artisan on a keyboard, it's better off being used by another person." It's prevented me from overspending as well as hoarding keycaps. It's definitely been hard at times letting go of an artisan because of limited real estate on my keyboards, but ultimately it's kept me in check in a really positive way.

To answer your question: I actually have the opposite problem on my Novatouch. The SA caps really accentuate the loudness of the board, so much so that they almost ring with every upstroke. I'm planning on silencing my Novatouch soon so hopefully that will quiet things down. I love the look and feel of SA though.  :)

I'm a hoarder.  Without much money.  So I haven't hoarded many artisans, but a fair proportion of those I do have have a story behind them.

You'll have to post back after the silencing mod to say how the keyboard feels.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:53:36 »
hey!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.